FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

I agree with you about the ball physics, though I agree with others about the much greater variety in shots in FIFA. There's pros and cons with both. To each's own, but after enough time with PES I always get the sense that I've seen it all, so I'll take the variety of FIFA personally.

But I definitely still feel like PES has that old on the rails feeling. When I was playing tons of PES this year prior to FIFA's release, I remember thinking how at times it almost felt like a turn-based game, as I'd regularly have to wait for locked in animations to play out before I could do anything. And then while the ball physics looked sublime, it all had a self-determined feeling about it, where as FIFA feels far more alive with a greater sense of never knowing what can happen. Again, there's pros and cons to each approach, but personally I find PES's approach behind the times and limiting, though I think the result is slightly more polished than what you sometimes see out of FIFA.

With fouls, yes PES has fouls called but FIFA is overall better with its physical interactions and sense of physicality and intensity. PES doesn't have the issue with weird ragdoll animations that FIFA sometimes has, but in terms of intensity and physicality, PES to me feels more like playing an int'l friendly match in comparison to FIFA. Again, to each's own. Personally I'm not sure which I prefer, as again its pros and cons for both, but again I find PES's approach somewhat limiting while the reliance on contextual shielding is really frustrating; on the other hand, I love dem fouls.

For me it's often difficult to say this game is better at this than the other, because they have such different approaches and priorities with their gameplay, and each has its pros and cons.

But what is clear to me is that Konami just doesn't have nearly the resources invested in PES to compete with FIFA long term, and so while I often tend to fall in love with PES upon release (like this year), after a while I always get this sense that I've seen it all while there's always cracks in the beautiful facade that begin to show after enough playtime. FIFA, while it's got no shortage of flaws of its own, keeps me going much longer because of the variety, while the non-gameplay features, like CM and the licenses, really help to sustain me beyond that first month of playing each year.

I could not have put it better myself :)

A special tournament that you are only valid for is you have played less than 5 games and I play a guy with a full squad of superstars? Unless someone got out the credit card instantly and bought an entire team that was just a random person playing online i was matched with.
Your opponent also had less than 5 games otherwise he wouldn't be able to enter this particular tournament so he wasn't just a random opponent.If he had a very good team it means that he bought coins.Some people do that you know.
So what?You had one shitty game.Just continue and play some more and then see if it's for you or not.No need to be dramatic for a single game.There are good opponents,bad opponents and medium opponents.You can choose what rating and strength team you'll play against.

Shooting in fifa is light years ahead of PES and has been for years.

I prefer PES gameplay in general - but not the shooting, it’s far more rewarding in fifa scoring a goal.
Exactly. I haven't played fifa 19 yet but have played 18 and the difference is astounding. Fifa is so much more varied, there really is no competition. Strange because pes was king here in the past. Insane how much the shooting has regressed in pes. However I will say that the shooting in fifa is much better than the build up play which means the difference between the two is especially jarring. Again speaking from experience with fifa 18,maybe 19 is better in this regard.

Retired my FIFA 19 after 15 league one games with Sunderland
This game has so much good in it,but not getting any freekicks (I had 7 in 15 games none being a freekick around the penalty box) it's not the freekicks itself I miss,but stops,and the possibility to draw a foul with an extra touch that I miss.
Horrible that they done this,maybe it's the eSports community that wants it to be free flowing?
If EA wanted fouls in on FIFA 19,FIFA 19 would have fouls,that's how I see it (and the history of 17-18 keep NDA proves it to)

So it's gonna be Pes 19 for me,just like I was playing FIFA 18 over Pes last year (magnetic defending was less annoying than no fouls).
Which is to bad,since FIFA has been able to fill the gaps in my football gaming that Pes can't provide.

Last edited:
There are a lot more fouls in online matches.
Good to know,I assumed it was the same as for offline.
But then again,isn't most games online Vs Humans?
Which means it's the HUM that fouls not the Cpu?
Anyway,thanks for clearing that up.
Appreciate it

Last edited:
I've spent (too many hours) with both games now, they have their flaws and they have loads of good things going on too.

But nothing flows like PES 2019. FIFA, with sliders and without, looks and feels wrong to me and I had my final few matches on it over the weekend and said to myself "Yes, that's enough of this." I was also in the same place with PES but I've gone back to that for the 100th time and I can't tear myself away from it at the moment.

With FIFA, the serious lack of fouls and free kicks. The sluggish, ugly, clunky gameplay with sliders. The game being way too easy without sliders, the ugly player models...there's so much I hate about it this year.

Most CPU teams playing silly super fast passing triangles amongst their defences, regardless of whether they are Portsmouth or Man City. Everton constantly dominating the Premier League on TWO of my career saves that I'm quite far into (seriously, wtf EA?).

I go back to this point and stick to it: FIFA plays like FIFA still and some will argue that PES still plays like PES (it's on rails, it's scripted - both which I agree with). The thing for me though, with all that money and those resources, FIFA's engine doesn't feel right - it doesn't work for a football game. It's amazing in games like Battlefield (I can't wait for BFV, I'm a BF fanboy.) But jeez, in FIFA the frostbite makes everything so damn weird and almost like I am controlling sail boats on a lake, not football players.

For pure enjoyment and that feeling of 'one more match', PES gets that right this year, even though I've rage quit both games several times and gone back to them several times.

I will continue to play both, hate both, love both, and back again. But for me, for the first time since PES 2013, I'm firmly in the 'PES is back' camp. And I'd never thought I would type that again.

Last edited:
I did try FIFA18 and everything about gameplay is just too arcade vs PES. As for shooting in PES, well use advanced shooting + LT for manual shots from time to time. PES goals and free kicks are way too good and not as arcade as FIFA. The only good thing FIFA has is graphics, in particular stadium lightning and amazing look during the gameplay. AI defending and positioning is not bad as well.

Glad I dont have either anymore
Both are simply not good enough for this day and age.
Enjoying FIFA19 on the Switch as it reminds me of the good old days of early PES.

I'm enjoying my FIFA right now,but I also know that with in 10 games I'll be back playing Pes 19,simply because it's wearing you down having no freekicks or yellow cards from the Cpu.

I'd happily play both games a lot more if the scripting (which you can control by being/playing smarter than I am) and if for FIFA had freekicks.
In their own two very good games,but the game breakers are probably worse than ever.

Konami fixed their biggest flaws this year,will EA do the same?
Has it been communicated?
I'm not picking sides,I've always enjoyed both games in different ways,but EA needs to fix this,were halfway through November.

Konami fixed their biggest flaws this year,will EA do the same?
Has it been communicated?
It has, and the community guys have acknowledged the calls that the game lacks fouls. It's whether they can convince the devs to spend time on it, from the sounds of things - especially seeing as it only affects offline players, which makes up a fraction of the audience (and it's a fraction that isn't going to spend FUT money).

Still, I'm crossing my fingers - because they've made a fair few other changes for us offline guys.

It has, and the community guys have acknowledged the calls that the game lacks fouls. It's whether they can convince the devs to spend time on it, from the sounds of things - especially seeing as it only affects offline players, which makes up a fraction of the audience (and it's a fraction that isn't going to spend FUT money).

Still, I'm crossing my fingers - because they've made a fair few other changes for us offline guys.

Well, they have acknowledged and improved the dribbling, so I have no doubt they will also improve the no-fouls thingy.

Well, they have acknowledged and improved the dribbling, so I have no doubt they will also improve the no-fouls thingy.
Well A) the dribbling issue was something FUT players also get a benefit from whereas CPU fouling isn't (the offline FUT players would, but nobody cares about them), and B) it could be a deeper issue, that requires so much balancing that they go "forget this until FIFA 20".

Personally I don't think it's going to get fixed - but then this is coming from the guy who's hoping that today's update makes the game harder for the guys who need more of a challenge from the AI.

Well A) the dribbling issue was something FUT players also get a benefit from whereas CPU fouling isn't (the offline FUT players would, but nobody cares about them), and B) it could be a deeper issue, that requires so much balancing that they go "forget this until FIFA 20".

Personally I don't think it's going to get fixed - but then this is coming from the guy who's hoping that today's update makes the game harder for the guys who need more of a challenge from the AI.
Thanks for the reply mate.
It's a very good game,I'm having tons of fun playing a player career on it (don't get me started on what needs sorting there)
But,I'm with you regarding fouls,it was very low and at times non existing both on 17 and 18,so I'm not really confident either.
Fingers crossed though.
Is the bug from both 17/18 sorted,you know teams winning on 77p ?
I've seen that the Cpu doesn't bench stars like they used to,so it should be fixed right? (Haven't played more than 20 games)
Thanks Chris

If fifa sorts fouls then I am definitely buying this somewhere down the road. Pes is too engrossing at the moment but I'm hearing too much good things about fifa offline that it's hard not to be tempted..

Is the bug from both 17/18 sorted,you know teams winning on 77p ?
I've seen that the Cpu doesn't bench stars like they used to,so it should be fixed right? (Haven't played more than 20 games)
It's not happened to me, but I've seen several reporting that they've seen teams continue to bench players and throw away games (the last one I remember reading was that United benched De Gea, Pogba and Lukaku so it was an easy match for no real reason), so it's still there by the sounds of it.

My big hopes for the next patch though are A) AI fouls, B) difficulty levels being much harder and C) more career mode save slots so that @Placebo is happy. ;)

Seriously though, A & B are it for me, really (not saying there aren't other issues but they're the main ones, and as you say, Konami have - unbelievably - released a patch to fix their biggest issues).

I started a Master League in PES again a few days ago, and I struggle for 90 minutes (with Newcastle on 40 "team spirit"), and it's just such a slog. When I score, it doesn't feel like it's related to the direction and/or power I applied to the shot - and when my passes are intercepted because they roll too far, it feels like that never happens to the AI, whose passes are 99% perfect. I've finished so many games where the AI has missed less than 10 passes all game, and where every shot of theirs was on target.

BUT I keep going back - for literally one match a night - because it has that old PES feel of "I'll fucking beat you eventually you cheating shithouse of an AI". Not because it feels like football, but because it's a great feeling to win.

I played a Europa League game out the other night (Arsenal v Sporting), a couple of times on PES and a couple of times on FIFA. In PES the delayed reactions (and I don't mean any kind of realistic momentum - I just mean an out-and-out delay), along with how stiff some situations are (passes are so clean, players rarely collide, all the positioning is robo-perfect)... It was so frustrating. But the results were two 1-0s and a 0-0 - and despite feeling frustrating going forward, the overall flow feels great.

On FIFA, the first game was 3-1 by half time, and I was really disappointed at how goal-heavy it was. Here's something I noticed during these games - in FIFA, your teammates' runs are so good (as are the AI's). My "partnership" with the AI is telepathic now - PES's player runs are really linear and restricted, and when you use the "make teammate run" facility on PES, they slow down half the time, and it really annoys me.

But the player collisions, the randomness, the beautiful shots of FIFA... To me, there is so much more real football crammed into FIFA. Whether it feels good or not is another thing, because I still prefer how PES feels in general - and yet I feel no joy while I'm playing it, with everyone's pace and dribbling ability being so samey, and shooting too.

Looking forward to trying FIFA's new patch tonight, with player runs turned down a little.

It's not happened to me, but I've seen several reporting that they've seen teams continue to bench players and throw away games (the last one I remember reading was that United benched De Gea, Pogba and Lukaku so it was an easy match for no real reason), so it's still there by the sounds of it.

My big hopes for the next patch though are A) AI fouls, B) difficulty levels being much harder and C) more career mode save slots so that @Placebo is happy. ;)

Seriously though, A & B are it for me, really (not saying there aren't other issues but they're the main ones, and as you say, Konami have - unbelievably - released a patch to fix their biggest issues).

I started a Master League in PES again a few days ago, and I struggle for 90 minutes (with Newcastle on 40 "team spirit"), and it's just such a slog. When I score, it doesn't feel like it's related to the direction and/or power I applied to the shot - and when my passes are intercepted because they roll too far, it feels like that never happens to the AI, whose passes are 99% perfect. I've finished so many games where the AI has missed less than 10 passes all game, and where every shot of theirs was on target.

BUT I keep going back - for literally one match a night - because it has that old PES feel of "I'll fucking beat you eventually you cheating shithouse of an AI". Not because it feels like football, but because it's a great feeling to win.

I played a Europa League game out the other night (Arsenal v Sporting), a couple of times on PES and a couple of times on FIFA. In PES the delayed reactions (and I don't mean any kind of realistic momentum - I just mean an out-and-out delay), along with how stiff some situations are (passes are so clean, players rarely collide, all the positioning is robo-perfect)... It was so frustrating. But the results were two 1-0s and a 0-0 - and despite feeling frustrating going forward, the overall flow feels great.

On FIFA, the first game was 3-1 by half time, and I was really disappointed at how goal-heavy it was. Here's something I noticed during these games - in FIFA, your teammates' runs are so good (as are the AI's). My "partnership" with the AI is telepathic now - PES's player runs are really linear and restricted, and when you use the "make teammate run" facility on PES, they slow down half the time, and it really annoys me.

But the player collisions, the randomness, the beautiful shots of FIFA... To me, there is so much more real football crammed into FIFA. Whether it feels good or not is another thing, because I still prefer how PES feels in general - and yet I feel no joy while I'm playing it, with everyone's pace and dribbling ability being so samey, and shooting too.

Looking forward to trying FIFA's new patch tonight, with player runs turned down a little.
Chris, sounds very much how I was last year. Pes 18 just couldn't draw me in and it felt so drab for me. Couldn't get anything going and ultimately completed a season or 2 on it out of strange sense of loyalty. Fifa 18 delivered just so much more. Strangely pes 19 delivers in spades for me (on pc I should add with plenty of mods), feel no need to dip my toes in fifa 19 yet (I will though sooner or later).

Played a few games last night,and a few just,didn't see much difference,but then again,haven't played enough to judge.

I had a great time playing the Argentine League on pes,probably the best I've had,but low TS kinda killed it.

One thing that I've noticed,the higher the difficulty level you play,the better and less scripted your own players behaves.
The games I've played on SS manual have been fantastic,but a bit to tough for me right now (cry baby can't deal with a loss)
But I'll get back to it again.

Yes agree on how much good stuff that are crammed into FIFA,it's the best in a very long time,and scripting is at an ok level to.
I'm playing WC 15 Min semi,and it's plenty of challenge, especially on player career,where you have to deal with a pretty crappy player (even though I'm controlling the whole team) that has a story that goes up and down.

If they fix the fouls,outstanding game,even though I prefer playing Serie A /Argentine League,which in my mind has better representation than FIFA for those leagues (my opinion).

I posted the strange grey parts of stadiums where it should be ad boards,but are grey,that's also something needs fixing,wonder if that's a similar thing to how kits and badges used to be,football league teams still having that badge even if playing PL?
It's saved for CL adboards.

In my mind,we have two games satisfying pretty much most people's needs,and that was a long time ago.
Glad you found a game to enjoy,that's what counts at the end of the day right?

Yeah, I'd be shocked if it's addressed. I actually think adding more fouls and increasing the difficulty in CM would/could go hand in hand.

One of the reasons why CM is so easy is because the CPU in defense isn't nearly aggressive enough, at least when not playing top teams. If you remember the video I posted a while back, I was able to dribble from midfield almost into the 6 and not a single time did the CPU attempt to close down and tackle.

Meanwhile, this overall lack of aggression means there's not enough opportunities for the CPU to make fouls. So I'm thinking that if they'd up the aggression of CPU defenders, it could lead to more fouls too. Or at least that's what I'd like to think, though again I can't imagine EA addressing these issues this year.

Upped the acc/speed (user) by about 2 points in legendary/slow and suddenly the CPU was fouling me like never before. Also won a peno (which was saved) after this. Is this a post-patch thing? Using Matt's V3B1 settings.

Upped the acc/speed (user) by about 2 points in legendary/slow and suddenly the CPU was fouling me like never before. Also won a peno (which was saved) after this. Is this a post-patch thing? Using Matt's V3B1 settings.

Nah, it's always been like that. If the CPU is at a major disadvantage, they'll foul. Lots of folks have tried the speed discrepancy to create more fouls, and it works, but it just makes the game even easier than it already is. That can work okay playing against top teams but against lesser opponents, at least I've found, it's easy to destroy them (and it's already pretty easy playing lesser teams).

I've only played a few matches since the patch came out (too busy with RDR2) but seems to me like it's the same game, just some marginal changes. For better or worse, looks like the devs are committed to small changes this year, though I am worried about the next patch that sounds like it'll address the AI defending.

Since the patch(FIFA 19) online games looks very good at least for me. Two games after the patch plays good for me :D. Don't know which one is better at this moment :D Hard time for me because i wanted sell FIFA 19 and buy Battlefield 5...but after the patch...

I could get into PES if it wasn't for goalscoring feeling so off - and I don't just mean shots, I mean crosses and general attacking movement - all of it.

Moving forward, I can't beat anyone for speed even with my fastest players, so I'm left dinking the ball back and forth in midfield, at which point the opposition's entire team is back in their defensive third and I've got nowhere to go. This isn't because I've got a slow team (which would be fair enough). It's just, the game.

Something else I realised last night is when you bring on a fresh player, you can't outrun an opposition player who's really tired. Their sprint speed remains the same (if there's any difference, it's way too slight to tell).

When beating a man on the wing and getting a cross in (through turning 180 degrees a few times, not through any skills or fine movements of the stick - attacking feels as blunt-edged as a PS2 game), it's pure chance and feels totally out of my control. Sometimes one of my strikers will run onto it - sometimes they'll stand still with zero chance of winning the header. I have zero control - and it's the same when they actually get to the ball (which is rare), I still don't feel like I've got control over it. If it's "meant to be", it goes in.

I've been playing with assisted shooting (using the manual modifier for long-range shots, all of which the keeper has saved so far - which is better than them all going in, of course). Yesterday, I had a (very) rare opportunity where I was 6 yards out and the ball fell to my striker. It was easier to score than to miss - but pressing shoot and aiming straight forwards, he put it wide of the post. It didn't just feel wrong - it looked entirely deliberate in the replays.

(Yes, it happens in real life, but not as often, or as blatantly "cheaty", as it happens here. It stinks.)

I have to admit, I quite like defending - if I start using the "secondary pressure" button out of frustration, I leave gaps the AI immediately (and realistically) exploits, and managing your defensive line to the point where you manage to get a 1-on-1 with the striker (that you always win) is a great feeling.

But so many passes go a few feet past your player for what feels like no real reason (it'll be my "Team Spirit" score), and every game (no matter your opponent) the AI just spams first-time passes around all game long - and you have to do the same, otherwise you've got two walls of players to break through (which is just impossible, PES doesn't represent dribbling at all).

On Top Player, Cardiff finished a 12 minute game with 90% pass accuracy.

There are flashes of brilliance, but for me they're marred by this overall "sludgey" feeling. (For balance, I'm not enjoying FIFA at the minute because of its overall "slidey" fast-paced feeling.)

I could get into PES if it wasn't for goalscoring feeling so off - and I don't just mean shots, I mean crosses and general attacking movement - all of it.

Moving forward, I can't beat anyone for speed even with my fastest players, so I'm left dinking the ball back and forth in midfield, at which point the opposition's entire team is back in their defensive third and I've got nowhere to go. This isn't because I've got a slow team (which would be fair enough). It's just, the game.

Something else I realised last night is when you bring on a fresh player, you can't outrun an opposition player who's really tired. Their sprint speed remains the same (if there's any difference, it's way too slight to tell).

When beating a man on the wing and getting a cross in (through turning 180 degrees a few times, not through any skills or fine movements of the stick - attacking feels as blunt-edged as a PS2 game), it's pure chance and feels totally out of my control. Sometimes one of my strikers will run onto it - sometimes they'll stand still with zero chance of winning the header. I have zero control - and it's the same when they actually get to the ball (which is rare), I still don't feel like I've got control over it. If it's "meant to be", it goes in.

I've been playing with assisted shooting (using the manual modifier for long-range shots, all of which the keeper has saved so far - which is better than them all going in, of course). Yesterday, I had a (very) rare opportunity where I was 6 yards out and the ball fell to my striker. It was easier to score than to miss - but pressing shoot and aiming straight forwards, he put it wide of the post. It didn't just feel wrong - it looked entirely deliberate in the replays.

(Yes, it happens in real life, but not as often, or as blatantly "cheaty", as it happens here. It stinks.)

I have to admit, I quite like defending - if I start using the "secondary pressure" button out of frustration, I leave gaps the AI immediately (and realistically) exploits, and managing your defensive line to the point where you manage to get a 1-on-1 with the striker (that you always win) is a great feeling.

But so many passes go a few feet past your player for what feels like no real reason (it'll be my "Team Spirit" score), and every game (no matter your opponent) the AI just spams first-time passes around all game long - and you have to do the same, otherwise you've got two walls of players to break through (which is just impossible, PES doesn't represent dribbling at all).

On Top Player, Cardiff finished a 12 minute game with 90% pass accuracy.

There are flashes of brilliance, but for me they're marred by this overall "sludgey" feeling. (For balance, I'm not enjoying FIFA at the minute because of its overall "slidey" fast-paced feeling.)

You should try to get someone from Konami/PES to read this post. I feel represented here (specially the players speed thing, it gets on my nerves - since PES 2014). The points you mention are key to making PES 2020 a game all of us can enjoy.

Or at least, you know, give us gameplay sliders so we can do whatever the hell we want.

You should try to get someone from Konami/PES to read this post. I feel represented here (specially the players speed thing, it gets on my nerves - since PES 2014). The points you mention are key to making PES 2020 a game all of us can enjoy.

Or at least, you know, give us gameplay sliders so we can do whatever the hell we want.

in my opinion, you will never get sliders because there are RPG mechanics in PES relating to stats/team spirit etc.

with PES you think you're playing a game of football but actually you're playing something else dressed up as football. the japanese have excellent history in RPG games so it makes sense why I have this feeling.

in my opinion, you will never get sliders because there are RPG mechanics in PES relating to stats/team spirit etc.

with PES you think you're playing a game of football but actually you're playing something else dressed up as football. the japanese have excellent history in RPG games so it makes sense why I have this feeling.

I don't see it that way.
I think there's some sort of AI boost, or predetermined outcomes. Definitely.

But if they could JUST apply the same dynamics and same gameplay of Exhibition Mode to the rest of the modes + Gameplay Sliders, PES would be a tremendous game.

But if they could JUST apply the same dynamics and same gameplay of Exhibition Mode to the rest of the modes + Gameplay Sliders, PES would be a tremendous game.
I think it'd be an improvement but it wouldn't be "tremendous" - just my opinion.

Had another couple of games at lunch and I spend the whole game raging at how it takes players so long to pass the ball in really simple situations, how players run in such straight lines with no thought, and how when I control the ball as a CM, the other CM literally runs 10ft forwards, then 10ft backwards, then does it again - all while I'm gently moving upfield with the ball.

When would you ever see that in a game of football? Maybe in kids' football where the dad is stood next to them screaming "RUN FORWARDS NOW, BACKWARDS NOW, FORWARDS NOW". It literally looked like he (Shelvey) was the knot in the centre of a game of "tug of war".

It's mental - everything is so robotic, the AI constraints are so clear and this stuff can't just be written off as an animation issue, because it's 100% a gameplay issue (i.e. their positioning prevents me having someone to pass to).

They're not committing these actions looking for space, they're doing it because they have a strict instruction about the exact pixel they should stand on, and as the play moves, it moves around like a ping-pong ball. The programming is so ridiculously strict, it makes everything so stiff and unorganic.

If I can't play FIFA any longer because it feels so fast and the ball moves like a literal giant pinball, I still can't play PES. It's just not a good football game. (In my opinion.)

Back
Top Bottom