FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Re: FIFA 16 Demo v PES 2016 Demo

At the moment, for me, the FIFA 16 demo is facing no competition of any kind from PES. Really, it's like it defeats PES 15-0.

Oh well, that's reality. ON PC even the FIFA 97 demo would be better than... Let me think... NOTHING.

PES 1, 2 was a bit dodgy but still a great game, 3, 4 and 5 had me fist pumping when I scored. They were amazing games.

When I score a goal in PES 2016 demo it's just "meh" that was boring.

It was the same with PES 2015 as well.

Not sure if ive said this before but….

For me PES16 (demo) is enjoyable if you play versus another human in the same room whereas I find FIFA16 (and any Fifa) isnt.

Im going to give PES16 one more final chance tonight. Gonna mess around with settings a bit more.
I don’t mind the importing of kits. OK it will take a while and I wouldn’t import any that the game don’t have players for its about game play. So far I haven’t felt it. I want to.
Maybe it’s the teams in the demo? Really enjoying using PSG and Chelsea on FIFA16 and these teams aren’t on PES – They have given us teams to use I wouldn’t normally use.

I've been scouring the web for a Pro Evo review that is closer to my opinion than all the ridiculously high-scoring reviews and quotes like "you have to play patient build-up play or you won't get anywhere", that are absolutely false looking at all the Twitch feeds, and I found this one: Gamereactor PES 2016 review

It's still an 8 out of 10, and even with broken shooting I think that's a fair score if last year's game was a 7.5 (which it was in my opinion). But this review makes the others seem like they're written by Konami's own PR. This guy sounds like a seasoned football-game lover and his frustrations are mine, too.

(The first negative below is my biggest problem with the game and from my demo experience, changing tactics doesn't make a big enough impact on it.)

+
In PES 2016 it's easier to control your player in front of the opponent and take the ball from him without having to resort to extra pressure or a tackle. The ball is thus not glued to the player in the same manner as before, and that is a very positive change.
+
Regardless of how you look at it, Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 delivers an overall football experience that betters the one offered by its predecessor. Some of the flaws still irritate from time to time, but this is another step in the right direction for Konami's football series.
-
We want central midfielders who want the ball (like Rakitic) not to storm up the field when he can also stay back and remain more accessible for the pass, yet he still runs off in the hope of getting a through ball from Busquets. It does not make much sense.
-
The goalkeeper is good until the first shot is saved. After that he enters panic mode. We've stopped the ball on the goal line only for the keeper to run up and kick it into his own net. These moments stick with us, and that is not a positive for PES.

Last edited:

On one review the person wrote - Its great that in PES16 you can build up play really fast.

PES was never about doing things fast. It was about nice realistic build up play. Not ping pong it up the field and score the same goal

On one review the person wrote - Its great that in PES16 you can build up play really fast.
These are the guys who say they hated FIFA 15 for the same reason, it's bizarre. That being said, I'm genuinely slightly petrified of seeing FIFA 16 online, because I've got a horrible feeling that it'll still allow people to play in the same way they play 15, i.e. fast and without fault.

I'm not an online player so I'm lucky I don't see that but playing human v human in FIFA reminds me of online matches. It all becomes a mess.

I'm not an online player so I'm lucky I don't see that but playing human v human in FIFA reminds me of online matches. It all becomes a mess.
Have you found that in 16, too?

I played both demos with friends and PES became FIFA Ultimate Team, it was passes from the back to the front with no midfield involvement because it was the easiest way to win and didn't have any drawbacks.

Really enjoyed playing the FIFA 16 demo with friends though (didn't with 15). My only criticism is that the defensive AI is so good that you don't get anywhere for long periods of time. I wouldn't mind that so much IF playing against a much worse team meant a much worse defence, but it doesn't seem to adjust.

Chris what difficulty are you playing on the demo?
Against the CPU and against other people it's on Pro, any higher than that and the way the AI keeps the ball and/or defends frustrates me (again, another worry I have for the full game when it comes to career mode etc.).

I find I win as Chelsea but lose as Seattle so I'm happy with that. :)

I use semi passing and shooting though. Not even to make it more difficult, but just to make it feel a bit more realistic with the misplaced passes and less shots hitting the post. I've seen a greater variety of saves that way, too - I saw the keeper save a shot with his elbow last night, just because he couldn't move his hand down to the ball in time, and I was amazed!

Last edited:

Upped the difficulty to World Class on the FIFA Demo, definitely think they've got the CPU passing a bit off. Played 4 matches and the opponents had above 90% success in every one. Will need sliders.

How are people defending? I'm trying to give tactical a chance, but it just makes no sense to me on World Class. If I close the ball myself, I'm ping-pong-passed out of it, but there is no option to make your AI teammates actually make a tackle, so if I block lanes and wait, I could spend the entirety of the half without the ball due to the accuracy of CPU passing.

Feels a bit dull to be honest.

Once you actually have the ball it's pretty brilliant though.

Have you tried applying some of last year's sliders to the demo and seeing how you get on then? Personally, I've always found world class a little bit overpowered. Professional has always been the most balanced difficulty.

FIFA 16 Demo v PES 2016 Demo

I played 2 games yesterday on the fifa demo. Both bundesliga teams with the whole bundesliga experience.

It was far and away the two best and most enjoyable games of football I've ever had in the 20 years I've been playing them. The gameplay was brilliant, but the whole experience was just top notch. We both finished the matches with big smiles on our faces.

I'm getting both, but know for a fact due to fifa being how good it is, and konami not giving two fecks about the online side, that fifa is where I will spend my time.

In this day and age, with online gaming and football being the ultimate game of one versus another, how konami can leave online like the mess it is, is beyond me!

Last edited:

After a whole load of demo matches on Pro/World Class with no change to sliders - I just worry the CPU is a bit 'safety-first'. I mainly play 'contain' defense, shuffling about preventing passing lanes, and I've gone 3 matches without a shot against me.

The whole match the CPU will just pass it around, no big risks or anything. They're maintaining huge pass completion %, but not doing anything.

It's like Louis Van Gaal is the manager of every team!

After a whole load of demo matches on Pro/World Class with no change to sliders - I just worry the CPU is a bit 'safety-first'. I mainly play 'contain' defense, shuffling about preventing passing lanes, and I've gone 3 matches without a shot against me.

The whole match the CPU will just pass it around, no big risks or anything. They're maintaining huge pass completion %, but not doing anything.

It's like Louis Van Gaal is the manager of every team!

No shots against you in 3 matches. That's not the game, that's you. You're obviously too good. Retire.

No shots against you in 3 matches. That's not the game, that's you. You're obviously too good. Retire.
:D

I do agree that the AI plays very safe, though, no matter the team. I get shots against me (I lost 2-1 at lunch playing a match on Pro difficulty), but if you play safe, they play safe. Lots of 0-0s (which I don't mind, but my main concern is that playing each team doesn't feel massively different to me at the moment).

FIFA is far, far too easy on anything under World Class if you're an experienced football gamer IMO.

On Pro I can just get the ball with a striker, sprint past the CPU defender with ease and then slot away a goal every time.

:D

I do agree that the AI plays very safe, though, no matter the team. I get shots against me (I lost 2-1 at lunch playing a match on Pro difficulty), but if you play safe, they play safe. Lots of 0-0s (which I don't mind, but my main concern is that playing each team doesn't feel massively different to me at the moment).

Maybe try playing very different yourself and see if the AI changes anything, play one match with loads of passing around playing it safe and play another kick and rush maybe using Zlatan as a target man, hoof it up to him a bit :)

FIFA is far, far too easy on anything under World Class if you're an experienced football gamer IMO.

On Pro I can just get the ball with a striker, sprint past the CPU defender with ease and then slot away a goal every time.

But we play differently. I could probably batter he cpu if i decided to to everything i could to score but that's not what i want from a game. I'll try and do things i'd do as a player or the person i'm controlling would do. IE if i'm using ronaldo, i'll want to use stepovers or a chop, with messi use no touch dribbling, 1-2 etc. This is all affected by the shape i'm in too, i essentially want to recreate something that could be seen in real life but also look amazing.

Maybe an odd way to play a football game but essentially, i'm not bothered about winning. Just recreating something i'm imagining as i have the ball. I think this is why i can't enjoy PES any more, it just can't facilitate these different scenarios like FIFA can. Now the AI is more varied, different situations arise, it's great.

Maybe try playing very different yourself and see if the AI changes anything, play one match with loads of passing around playing it safe and play another kick and rush maybe using Zlatan as a target man, hoof it up to him a bit :)
Well that's the thing, if I play safe myself (and concentrate) I can keep a clean sheet and most of the time (on Pro) I can grab a goal. But you shouldn't have to do that against every team - I'm not convinced teams play in a unique enough way to make a career mode enjoyable (for me - I realise you and others manage it).

I'm hoping I'm wrong though, obviously (and still enjoying the demo matches a lot more than I did 15, which I still play).

But we play differently. I could probably batter he cpu if i decided to to everything i could to score but that's not what i want from a game. I'll try and do things i'd do as a player or the person i'm controlling would do. IE if i'm using ronaldo, i'll want to use stepovers or a chop, with messi use no touch dribbling, 1-2 etc. This is all affected by the shape i'm in too, i essentially want to recreate something that could be seen in real life but also look amazing.

Maybe an odd way to play a football game but essentially, i'm not bothered about winning. Just recreating something i'm imagining as i have the ball. I think this is why i can't enjoy PES any more, it just can't facilitate these different scenarios like FIFA can. Now the AI is more varied, different situations arise, it's great.

Same as me. It's why I'm not enjoying pes16 demo

That's fair and a good post mate.

I think I suffer with gaming OCD. If I win a game with ease, I can't enjoy it. I have to know I am playing the game on its most difficult level to enjoy it.

I can't wait to get stuck into a FIFA 16 Career Mode with Leicester.

That's fair and a good post mate.

I think I suffer with gaming OCD. If I win a game with ease, I can't enjoy it. I have to know I am playing the game on its most difficult level to enjoy it.

I can't wait to get stuck into a FIFA 16 Career Mode with Leicester.

Are you a Leicester fan?

I'm a Villa fan.

I asked because of the result over the weekend. :BORED:

Yep the game on Sunday HURT.

I like their players. Will be interesting using Mahrez, Inler and Vardy. I usually religiously play as Villa but fancy something different this year.

Yep the game on Sunday HURT.

I like their players. Will be interesting using Mahrez, Inler and Vardy. I usually religiously play as Villa but fancy something different this year.

Inler was really poor on his debut though I felt.

I'll be playing as Villa myself. Grealish and Gil are really creative. I like them both a lot.

Great description!

No that´s not odd at all.
It´s beautiful and pretty much how I play.

That´s why I don´t need that much of a difficulty level yet.

Great description!

No that´s not odd at all.
It´s beautiful and pretty much how I play.

That´s why I don´t need that much of a difficulty level yet.

Nice to see it's not only me. I never actually realised how I play until I started writing that post and it suddenly all made sense.

Nice to see it's not only me. I never actually realised how I play until I started writing that post and it suddenly all made sense.

It does.

I just wish I would get more players online, who play like that and don´t wanna win by all means.

Been playing like that all the time.
Also used to watch my replay gallery on PES 6 - PES 2013 for hours cause of the nice combinations i managed, to score.

Back
Top Bottom