FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

EA have proved in FIFA 18 they make a superb football game, around patch 7 it was awesome and the only improvement i wanted is better player models. It had aggression, fouls, build up play and then they patched it out..i would really like a patch selector for offline players if they are going to do this ongoing. Its as though they are not familiar with the engine and by addressing one thing it affects another and they didnt realise it would happen. Or they just keep changing their minds to try and satisfy everybody for 3 months of the year

If you play it on PC you can always back up the entire FIFA 18 folder and keep that back up in some other drive or in a separate folder. Once FIFA gets some new update you don't like, you restore the backed up folder and then force Origin to stay offline and that's it. That's how to can create your own "Patch Selector". You can even create your own Subfolders like "FIFA TITLE UPDATE 1", "FIFA TITLE UPDATE 2", etc. If you have enough HDD space...

It's not as simple as "it's frostbite". It's in fact a very capable engine. It's their animation system and EA forcing changes without enough testing. Most animations are mo-capped, but these animations are quite rigid when played back (though they can be manually adjusted later). For years they have been using a system where they can interrupt any animation and transition to something else through various algorithms. For example a player might be running (mo capped animation) and a slight touch can interrupt the animation and then they transition to all sorts of things. Falls, slight stumbles, launched into orbit to the music of david bowie, etc. This gives them a lot of variety with fewer animations recorded by actors. For some reason this seems to need a lot of tweaking when changing engines.

All fifa glitches are a result of this system. An obvious example is some shooting animations in fifa18, where the players foot can take an extremely unnatural position when making contact with the ball. The game wants to make the shot happen and the animation system tries to make it happen. Obviously the player is not mo-capped at this unnatural position, the animation is adjusted in real time, they can control the angle/speed etc. Well let's just say their system though advanced and flexible needs a TON of tweaking when changing engines (see: fifa15, not on frostbite).

The good news for fifa is that there is no way the game is changing engine any time soon now that it's on their own engine, it will only get better. Though this is EA of course so I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Last edited:
Is it any chance of having a discussion on player/team individuality without pissing territories being Fifa or Pes?

I’ve played a few seasons on Fifa 18,not with the best team,but I’m on season two with Borussia Mönchengladbach and the team is getting really good.
Starting lineup 80-85 ovr probably.
My issue is I’m not getting any “blow out” results at all,during a season I should be able to beat a crappy team 4-0 or 5-1 at least once or twice per season.
That never occurs,I’d say I have 1-0/1-1/0-0/2-1/1-2 pretty much all my 34 League games.
Is that down to poor individuality or just plain scripting keeping the games tight?

I’m having much more blowouts in Pes (17 atm) where I had 3 games winning 5/6-0.
Is that down to better individuality or a different way of scripting?
Just curious if anyone had experience on this playing with a sharp team on Fifa/Pes

15 min semi pass/shooting all other manual world class on Fifa
20 min manual pass,basic shooting,top player on Pes 17

Thoughts and experiences?

Is it any chance of having a discussion on player/team individuality without pissing territories being Fifa or Pes?

I’ve played a few seasons on Fifa 18,not with the best team,but I’m on season two with Borussia Mönchengladbach and the team is getting really good.
My issue is I’m not getting any “blow out” results at all,during a season I should be able to beat a crappy team 4-0 or 5-1 at least once or twice per season.
That never occurs,I’d say I have 1-0/1-1/0-0/2-1/1-2 pretty much all my 34 League games.
Is that down to poor individuality or just plain scripting keeping the games tight?

I’m having much more blowouts in Pes (17 atm) where I had 3 games winning 5/6-0.
Just curious if anyone had experience on this playing with a sharp team on Fifa/Pes

With very little exception,I have always found Fifa dour and always with low score games.Even with many tweaks made along the way.There is a sameness about everything.
Which ultimately is a shame considering the package of the overall game.
PES has always been more challenging, but rewarding IMO.
Having said that, You get the lower teams in PES turning in some great games in their "cup final" against bigger sides.

With very little exception,I have always found Fifa dour and always with low score games.Even with many tweaks made along the way.There is a sameness about everything.
Which ultimately is a shame considering the package of the overall game.
PES has always been more challenging, but rewarding IMO.
Having said that, You get the lower teams in PES turning in some great games in their "cup final" against bigger sides.
Yeah I’ve been burned by Carpi/Brescia etc with my Milan a few times,and smaller teams turning up is acctually rewarding,keeps you on your toes
Off and on these two games lately mate,and I feel that Pes has rewarded my gameplay/players more than Fifa.
I’ve steamrolled a few teams on Pes 17 with a very good Milan,not quite the same outcome with my almost as good BM Gladbach on Fifa
Enjoy both,but feel that individuality is much more rewarding,regardless of game

Thanx man

Have experienced the Same having played both games extensively. Fifa definitely keeps you on a leash so to speak. The scripting is more subtle and less "unfair" to me than pes's but makes the whole experience a bit dull and flat ultimately.

Have experienced the Same having played both games extensively. Fifa definitely keeps you on a leash so to speak. The scripting is more subtle and less "unfair" to me than pes's but makes the whole experience a bit dull and flat ultimately.
I like Fifa 18,having fun,but it feels like you can’t shut down a game by scoring a couple of goals.
Like there’s some filter keeping it close
And I agree on the scripting,more subtle in Fifa,but it gets frustrating when having it every game

I like Fifa 18,having fun,but it feels like you can’t shut down a game by scoring a couple of goals.
Like there’s some filter keeping it close
And I agree on the scripting,more subtle in Fifa,but it gets frustrating when having it every game
It certainly is. I've found that it relates to table scripting. As soon as I take the top spot or close to it the scripting reins me in. Mid-table or thereabouts it's hardly there. Once had a half a season of these matches and it got so boring I fell out of love with the game (for now that is). Like a magnetic field preventing you from doing what you want. Pes' scripting is far more infuriating though it does provide more "extremes" during matches.

It certainly is. I've found that it relates to table scripting. As soon as I take the top spot or close to it the scripting reins me in. Mid-table or thereabouts it's hardly there. Once had a half a season of these matches and it got so boring I fell out of love with the game (for now that is). Like a magnetic field preventing you from doing what you want. Pes' scripting is far more infuriating though it does provide more "extremes" during matches.
My first half of the season with Borussia 13 wins out of 17
Second half 2 wins.
And I was top three all the way until the last 5-6 games,and it was impossible to win that second half.
Like a magnetic field feels like a good comparison
Still enjoy it though

Keep finding myself going back and forth between Pes and Fifa.
Lately a bit fifa because of the world cup add on. It kinda feels fresh till you are a few games in but becomes stale soon.

I like pes but hate the constant backheels and lobpasses the cpu does, combined with the complete lack of fouls.
Also i'm kinda stuck between levels, i play the level below professional and it's too easy. Going 1 level up to professional and i see a lot more scripting of the cpu. Could be just me that sucks but i find it very noticable.

Still prefer the slower pace in pes, it also has better crossing and heading. Fifa has better shooting imo.

Both nice games, but neither of them can hold my attention for a longer period of time.
Here's hoping for some good improvements in both '19 versions.

I personally think this is a mistake.
If you switch between 2 you’ll never enjoy either.
If you don’t like both after switching back and forth then maybe you just don’t like them???

I've found myself in that position since 2014, mate.
Except for FIFA 16/PES 2016 when, for me, there was a clear winner (FIFA).
Other than that, I've been in and out of love with both games.

I agree with the lad upstairs saying you can never fully enjoy both if you do this, but I cannot NOT do it, because neither game fulfill my football fix needs.

I've found myself in that position since 2014, mate.
Except for FIFA 16/PES 2016 when, for me, there was a real winner (FIFA).
Other than that, I've been in and out of love with both games.

I agree with the lad upstairs saying you can never fully enjoy both if you do this, but I cannot NOT do it, because neither game fulfill my football fix needs.

That because for the last few years neither have been good enough. Fut and my team are to blame for most of it.

I personally think this is a mistake.
If you switch between 2 you’ll never enjoy either.
If you don’t like both after switching back and forth then maybe you just don’t like them???

Maybe you're right, but i have always played footie games so need my fix.
I think as you said that both games are not good enough at this moment due to the fact that the main focus is on the online money making part.

I'm a strictly offline player.

PES is better than fifa, so simple !
The problem is, that's too simple. A turd sandwich is better than a razor blade sandwich, but none of these options are truly great, are they. So what does the comparison matter...

Nothing wrong with liking either game (or thinking the other is bad), but if you're not going to give any constructive criticism, posts like that are totally hollow.

I've been a PES man since PES6. For 18, I got both and enjoyed PES18 more. Recently, I decided to take a chance and downloaded FIFA16 and Moddingway patch with Supernova gameplay. It's the first time I've been playing FIFA for such an extended time that I totally neglected PES! The plays, the variety in goals, looser 'attachment' to the ball amongst others all had me wondering why I totally missed this edition. Better late than never, I say!

I have to disagree with the comments above regarding FIFA and the low scoring lines. I've had a couple big score lines with Inter vs lower sides. (Legendary, semi controls) Currently running away with the league. My biggest gripe is that big teams don't show up. I'm not thinking about having to take out Dybala and Higuain when I play Juve.

I do enjoy the indivduality more in FIFA too, it feels more pronounced. I love feeling that with Icardi I can score from anywhere in the box, I love turning with Borja Valero and slowing down the game with him, and open spaces with Perisic are so exciting.

I even love giving my young players some game time. There is this prospect called Karamoh at Inter whom I give 15 minutes at the end of games. The guy can't shoot and sucks at passing, but can dribble superbly and has great speed.

In PES ML I tried with Inter, the players all felt generic. I was never looking to give Icardi the ball in the box, as long as anyone would shoot, it was fine with me. Open spaces are so rare, it's hard to ever enjoy a player at speed on the ball like Perisic. I do love the AI movement in attack in PES more than in FIFA. The way a I can find a player in between the lines feels much more rewarding in PES. And it's so pretty to look at. Overall I'll take FIFA for a career mode, that's without even mentioning the ridiculous transfers and so I can only play about a season of PES ML before it's too wrong. In FIFA I can go three or four seasons before it feels tired.

I've been a PES man since PES6. For 18, I got both and enjoyed PES18 more. Recently, I decided to take a chance and downloaded FIFA16 and Moddingway patch with Supernova gameplay. It's the first time I've been playing FIFA for such an extended time that I totally neglected PES! The plays, the variety in goals, looser 'attachment' to the ball amongst others all had me wondering why I totally missed this edition. Better late than never, I say!
Where did you download Fifa 16?

How do u install moddingway patch?is it straightforward for fifa 16?

Unzip patch into Your main FIFA 16 folder.

Then look for the Moddingway installer in that directory,right click run as admin and click on install.

The All in Ones may take a while to install but just let it do its work.

Do exactly the same for any updates released.

When its installed run the Moddingway selector to choose what game modes & options you wish to play.

First time in a while where I’m more looking forward to the inprovements in fifa over pes, pes modes are extremely disappointing and not surprised, hope fifa can rectify a few of there gameplay issues but will be buying that regardless, also the way pes is going we should have improved game modes in the next 5 yrs and then il buy it again.

Just posted these FIFA 18 videos over here in the video thread, but I wanted to talk about them here - because I put them together with PES in mind.

For every little clip I added to these videos, I realised that I was thinking "I love that just because it would never happen in PES". Take a look at this:

The thing that stands out the most for me isn't a goal - it's the physicality at 2:20. The way that the defender wins the physical battle, and the absolutely perfect reaction animation; it's unique but looks so organic. Physical battles in PES aren't anything like this.

Then there's the attempt that immediately follows it at 2:28. Being 3-0 up and approaching full time, I decided to attempt the spectacular. It's a complete cock-up, and it's glorious. In PES, this would have gone 3ft wide of the post.

But I do love the goal around 1:40, where the keeper just does a complete Karius - I don't like FIFA's keepers (they're godlike too often), but the engine allows stuff like this to happen, and this is on Legendary difficulty. It felt new.

Then you've got this one:

This clip is a cup game, a Premier League team against a lower-league team. It was a grind. They were playing a few kids, I was keeping the ball, trying not to make a mistake.

This isn't the bit that most impresses me - but a move around 2:20 ends up with a moment that reminds me of the lunge Gazza made at the World Cup a while ago. Stick a toe out and it's in. But more importantly, it leads to a corner, that leads to what happens at 2:40.

Okay, the keeper pushes it out, and his attempt at saving the rebound is bizarre (watch his legs). But the defender desperately crumples into the striker and takes him out. It would have been a penalty if it hadn't been a goal. Remember penalties in football games, guys?

Even that isn't what I love, though. What I love is how amazing it feels to defend the lead.

Now. I've disliked FIFA's defending system for a long time, and I still think the game makes the simplest defending/tackling sometimes impossible, putting these weird invisible barriers in place around strikers - but I'm starting to appreciate some of the moments/feelings it creates.

When they have the ball and I just about manage to make a slide tackle at 3:33 that disrupts the play - when my hero left-back so calmly positions himself to swipe the ball away and clear around 3:50 - when I just about make the block at 4:10 to prevent the ball getting into the box.

Most of all, when I try to keep possession in the dying minutes and totally fuck myself around 4:30, giving the ball away - but their desperate through-ball goes out of play and the referee blows for full-time. The feeling of keeping a clean sheet was immense.

These things, and these feelings, just don't exist in PES for me in its current form. The engine - or rather the AI - just can't create these moments. IMO.

Just went back to PES 6 on my PS2 after nearly 2 years since I bought my PS4. Oh man, it STILL offers a superb footy experience against the AI. Although newer FIFA's and PES's give tighter control, better shielding, gorgeous first touches, and a major graphical advantage, none of them have the soul and richness of PES 5 and 6. The AI plays logically, the tactics actually make sense, and the variety of goals is wonderful. The difficulty is also fair and variable too.

Why can't Konami just release a remaster of these awesome games?

Back
Top Bottom