FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Fifa Restarting Simulation 18 lol.This game is a mess.As much as i try to like it stupid things just won't stop happening.Gameplay speed keeps changing by itself every 2-3 games or even worse in the same game,camera view is changing in every stadium if you play with Tele,you put it on slow and still it plays like mental.And they say this game is realistic...Nah...Maybe ''fun'',if you find this ''fun'' for some reason...
Pes 2018 with 20 min matches on -1 speed for me at least to feel some realistic flowing of the beautiful game and not some rushed and constantly interrupted animations in mental speed all the time.

Fifa Restarting Simulation 18 lol.This game is a mess.As much as i try to like it stupid things just won't stop happening.Gameplay speed keeps changing by itself every 2-3 games or even worse in the same game,camera view is changing in every stadium if you play with Tele,you put it on slow and still it plays like mental.And they say this game is realistic...Nah...Maybe ''fun'',if you find this ''fun'' for some reason...
I would say it's a matter of preference - because I 100% agree that the speed seems to change out of nowhere (you think it's nicely balanced and then it's like someone sits on a remote control and presses the fast forward button), but...

Pes 2018 with 20 min matches on -1 speed for me at least to feel some realistic flowing of the beautiful game and not some rushed and constantly interrupted animations in mental speed all the time.
I can't agree with this. Whatever I do with PES 2018, every team hits perfect first-time passes all over the park, with lofted through-balls to players that - no matter how I set up my defensive line - my team can never defend.

For me, FIFA is the less flawed of the two - but it's a bit like saying I'd rather eat the food that's been dropped on the floor, instead of the food that's got mould on it. It's not really a great situation. Especially when I really liked both last year.

Ive played one game on the new patch on FIFA and it felt great, players and ball felt instantly weightier. 5 Fouls against milan with 2 bookings. Again could of had more. Lost 3-1 but didnt feel cheated, Compare that to PES, still not fixed fouls, still the constant backheels and the silly amount of space making it end to end. For me PES is a mess this year which was surprising as last year was very good and showed promise. The other thing for me is year after year konami are neglecting single player modes

Ive played one game on the new patch on FIFA and it felt great, players and ball felt instantly weightier. 5 Fouls against milan with 2 bookings. Again could of had more. Lost 3-1 but didnt feel cheated, Compare that to PES, still not fixed fouls, still the constant backheels and the silly amount of space making it end to end. For me PES is a mess this year which was surprising as last year was very good and showed promise. The other thing for me is year after year konami are neglecting single player modes

Agree.
I've also noticed the AI trying to chip or lob my keeper from time to time, something that definitely wasn't there before .

I would say it's a matter of preference - because I 100% agree that the speed seems to change out of nowhere (you think it's nicely balanced and then it's like someone sits on a remote control and presses the fast forward button), but...

I can't agree with this. Whatever I do with PES 2018, every team hits perfect first-time passes all over the park, with lofted through-balls to players that - no matter how I set up my defensive line - my team can never defend.

For me, FIFA is the less flawed of the two - but it's a bit like saying I'd rather eat the food that's been dropped on the floor, instead of the food that's got mould on it. It's not really a great situation. Especially when I really liked both last year.
Yeah i also dislike the perfect first-time passes and backheels and wish pass error would be bigger.This issue exists in both games and cpu nearly always end up with 90% pass accuracy.That's also because they base their gameplay on online modes and people want comfort and easiness so they make the passing very assisted because otherwise most of people would be frustrated and wouldn't play the game.
About the defence i think yeah it's more difficult now but i prefer it honestly because it has a more manual feel in it and you have to be very carefull.Until 17 it was some kind very automatic and you could defend very easily without any effort and the game helped you very much in that aspect.Now it's kinda all to you.
We've said it many times before,this online bullshit is killing offline realism with all that arcady passing and back and forth counter attacking mentality.I'm pretty sure they're making this on purpose so the game will be ''fun'' for online players with more chances and goals.
Last Fifa i liked was 16.For now i prefer Pes 2018 mostly because i like the gameplay mechanics more on it,it's feel of weight,it's fluidity,the fact that animations are completed naturally.They have a start,a middle and an end point.In Fifa i feel like they are rushed and don't complete naturally.You see players backpedalling and making spastic movements like epileptic.And also it's still fast even if you put it on slow.Clearly based on online bullshit again.
Let's hope that for the 19 versions both games will be better in the aspects where they have flaws but something is telling me not to be very confident about it...
Although for the last 3 years i liked the next Pes more than the previous so i think this will be the case with 19 also.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Pes 18 is a mess in single player mode. No fouls, no individuality, each teams plays exactly the same, no tactical impact, shots either go in, are parried out or just go an inch wide - no variation whatsoever and I could go on and on and on. Wonky transfers, no logic whatsoever. EVERY goal I concede against the cpu feels cheaty and even when I score myself it sometimes feels off or "directed". Pes has always had this in some measure but 18 is the worst by a country mile. Compare all this to fifa 18 - which is far from perfect mind you - and pes is streets and streets behind. There is just no sense of progression, especially on top player and above and that used to be pes' saving grace. The fact that the defaults are indistinguishable from one another says it all. 17 wasn't nearly as bad in this respect. What happened?

Last edited:
This is me this year. FIFA this year, PES last. Everytime I try to give PES a fair shot, there is a moment of "oh ok, this is good" followed by 3 moments of "da***n you ***" Its just not for me this year. Thankfully FIFA provide sliders that I can suite to my gameplay difficulty (on PES im stuck between pro, too easy; TP, good games followed by a scripting mess)
VERY well put. Professional plays a very good game but is too easy in the first season already (speaking for myself and about master league with the defaults here). Top player is too large a jump in illogical difficulty. Your players get nerfed immediately and cpu begins spamming those annoying through balls. Worst of all, all players turn into something of an unanimous blob, same for teams. Either all your players are shit or they are good, same for cpu. No in-between and zero reason to go on the transfer market or build a team. A very generic experience with no distinguishing features for either players or teams. So disappointing ;pes used to be the absolute king in this regard.

Because there are still some good moments I keep. Giving it a chance but i think this is my last season. After that I will have completed three seasons in over 100 hours with the game, which is absolutely dysmal. Even playing on pc with some nice mods here and there.

The only thing I think PES has over fifa this year is perhaps - perhaps - the weightiness to dribbling and passing and then only just. Shooting is so much more satisfying in fifa, the tables have definitely turned in that respect and the goal feel is miles better to me. Don't get me started on career mode itself and the glorious commentary (by comparison) and licenses. It is beyond me why pes is getting so much critical acclaim both from users and review sites (metacritic), when it used to be so much more deserving of it in the past imo.

Last edited:
If I had to compare FIFA 18 against PES 2018, well... Tough choice but I'd say that, of the two, FIFA 18 plays better.

PES 2018 for PC looks stunning with some of the user content applied (mainly kits, adboards, turfs and some tattoos), yet I have a huge, huge gripe with it and it's that the CPU never seems to add power to the shots.
I can live with the CPU players finessing the ball near the far post when they find themselves one-on-one with the keeper, I'm not OK at all with the CPU doing so even in situations where every player with just enough common sense would smash the ball into the net like no tomorrow.
PES 2017 used to be better in this regard, it offered way more variety in the way the CPU would build and finish their plays.

PES 2015 (yep, 2015!) and PES 2017 usually give me that "OK, one more match" feeling that also FIFA 12 and 14 used to provide, but PES 2018 doesn't.
And, well, neither FIFA 18 does it currently if I have to be honest. I'm still playing it with friends as we play ProClubs, but I'm not tempted to start either a career or a league.

So, for me, if I had to play a single player match it'd still be either FIFA 12/14 (sometimes FIFA 16, but I've grown a little tired of it over time) or PES 2015/2017 (with some flashbacks to PES 5 and PES 6 which I can't seem to let go no-matter-what even if they do feel very dated technically now).

After all the patches from both games and re buying pes 17 for a bargain of 6 quid my thoughts are

FIFA 18>PES18 but PES 17 >(fifa 18+pes18) the game is immense. Doing a league and today have had 8 15 min games on the bounce , unheard of for me (wife at work) ..great variety , fouls sorted on last patch , great balance. Not sure what went wrong with 18

After all the patches from both games and re buying pes 17 for a bargain of 6 quid my thoughts are

FIFA 18>PES18 but PES 17 >(fifa 18+pes18) the game is immense. Doing a league and today have had 8 15 min games on the bounce , unheard of for me (wife at work) ..great variety , fouls sorted on last patch , great balance. Not sure what went wrong with 18
Fouls sorted in last patch? That sounds good. How much are you getting now per game on average

i would say on average between 5 and 8 depending on who i am playing. Some crunching ones as well. Ive had at least 2 shooting freekicks per game - 6 game into my league. One thing i didnt know is that by holding left top button and sprint button at the same time pushes the ball slightly in front, do that at the right time and the AI dives in quite a lot. Also using super cancel when there;s an advantage wins free kicks. No penalties as of yet though. Really hope PES 19 is a mix of 17 gameplay and 18 visuals

Fouls sorted in last patch? That sounds good. How much are you getting now per game on average
It depends on several things I'd say.
I usually average less free kicks than hitmanuk for example, three to four free kicks per 10-minute game.
I've both seen matches in which the referee would never blow and matches in which I got six or seven free kicks (like the last one I talked about in the PES 2017 PC thread).
Penalties are almost non-existent against the CPU though, I've maybe seen three or four of them in like 15 months of playing.

i would say on average between 5 and 8 depending on who i am playing. Some crunching ones as well. Ive had at least 2 shooting freekicks per game - 6 game into my league. One thing i didnt know is that by holding left top button and sprint button at the same time pushes the ball slightly in front, do that at the right time and the AI dives in quite a lot. Also using super cancel when there;s an advantage wins free kicks. No penalties as of yet though. Really hope PES 19 is a mix of 17 gameplay and 18 visuals
Really?! And that is in master league? Hmmm... This might have me coming back to pes 17 as well then. Will have a few test matches on it to see what's what. When did this patch come out btw? Can't seem to remember anything of the sort and abandoned the game quite late in the year..

Edit : seen just now that you are referring to a regular league

Last edited:
Yeah currently doing a Spanish season ..not sure when it came out as I stopped playing sometime after Xmas. It feels very refreshing compared to this year for me. It also helps nobody really talking about pointing out the faults that I haven't seen. Next year I'm going to pick the gameci like then read nothing about it

Really?! And that is in master league? Hmmm... This might have me coming back to pes 17 as well then. Will have a few test matches on it to see what's what. When did this patch come out btw? Can't seem to remember anything of the sort and abandoned the game quite late in the year..

Edit : seen just now that you are referring to a regular league
Fouls are the same in ML,dpending on who you play,and how you play.
But I’m getting between 4-8 a game,almost always a shooting chance per game.
The fouls as I can remember,since I played it til 18 came out,has always been there.
Obviously playing manual,with looser ball physics helps

If any of you are on pc, I had a decent time with pes17 going last year by importing team tactics made by Kilay, who did a great job with them (imported using a tool by zlac) and doing a couple of changes with a global editor. Adding the "malicia" skill to all defenders / defensive midfielders should increase sliding tackles and fouls from the CPU.

How about 18 , I sold it in December. Has the latest patch sorted out the lack of fouls in 18? Or the back heels? I have the free version for the odd exhibition but games are short and I get no fouls at all

How about 18 , I sold it in December. Has the latest patch sorted out the lack of fouls in 18? Or the back heels? I have the free version for the odd exhibition but games are short and I get no fouls at all
It seems it has sorted out penalties to some extent (I got a couple of them after the CPU keeper just mowed down my forward due to bad timing in his dive for the ball), but I don't see it being a game changer. The main thing that grinds my gears (lack of powerful shots by the CPU from inside the box) is still there for example.

Yeah, I have no clue how 18 is going, from what I'm reading there was only one gameplay patch that didn't change much. I wish fouls was the only thing I didn't like about the game. I knew me and 18 wouldn't get along just by playing the demo. :)

Based on the 15 games I played when it came out the latest patch, I'd say the situation on what you're asking is exactly the same as before

I play 20 min. matches and -1 speed on Pes 18 and i get some fouls and on rivalry matches even more.
On a recent match as Arsenal vs Chelsea on superstar they were very physical and fouled me 7-8 times and got 3 bookings.
And it's not that Fifa 18 has more fouls nowadays...It has even less.I play it also sometimes so i see how it is.
I barely get 1 foul on a 20 min. match.

Based on the 15 games I played when it came out the latest patch, I'd say the situation on what you're asking is exactly the same as before

Which is strange as PES 17 went in the right direction towards then end and then PES 18 just messed a lot of the good things up. It really annoys me that the games are the unsupported after 12 months - obviously makes business sense but it isn't right if the actual finished product is only completed 3-4 months before the next revision is out. Not a massive problem for PC users as there are loads of updates but can i find a PS4 up to date option file for 2017 - nowhere to be seen.

FIFA 18 for me sorted a lot of stuff out in the Xmas patch and i was really enjoying it but the patched out the good stuff and fouls have gone to a minimal again. and i tried it last night after a few games of 17 and it felt like bedlam on the pitch.

If PES 19 can be better visuals and bring back the things that work in 17 then it could be a very good game. Konami will probably mess it up though.

Which is strange as PES 17 went in the right direction towards then end and then PES 18 just messed a lot of the good things up. It really annoys me that the games are the unsupported after 12 months - obviously makes business sense but it isn't right if the actual finished product is only completed 3-4 months before the next revision is out. Not a massive problem for PC users as there are loads of updates but can i find a PS4 up to date option file for 2017 - nowhere to be seen.

FIFA 18 for me sorted a lot of stuff out in the Xmas patch and i was really enjoying it but the patched out the good stuff and fouls have gone to a minimal again. and i tried it last night after a few games of 17 and it felt like bedlam on the pitch.

If PES 19 can be better visuals and bring back the things that work in 17 then it could be a very good game. Konami will probably mess it up though.

Yeah, I get that for console users it must be a frustrating situation, especially if you liked the previous game and still want to play it. That's how both the companies do unfortunately. If at least they'd make life easier for modders on console, maybe..

If I'd have to play optimistic, by the way, I'd say that Pes 18 was the first one of a new trilogy, hence clunkier and maybe less refined in gameplay. So in 19 they could bring back fouls and most of all first touch error/a less robotic cpu/more general variety, lacks that I find way more annoying than absence of fouls itself. But honestly I'm not holding my hopes high at all especially after latest Adam's speeches.

https://twitter.com/EASPORTSFIFA/status/979704797459750912

I can not believe we have to compare PES with this unfortunate likeness of a football game.
Let's take the main part of the football game like animations, physics, and mechanics ... FIFA18 is at a ridiculous bad level now, PES 2018 is light years ahead. I don't know how EA mess the game so bad, but it feels and looks like an episode of "Robot Chicken", even animations in Robot Chicken makes more sense.

Last edited:
its hard to say what is more arcade game these days to be honest , pes or fifa ? ;)

,,PES 2018 is light years ahead''

sounds like nice trolling mate ;)

I agree with animations as they are really beautiful, save a small number I really really love them all (and they are the main reason it took me so long to give up on Pes 2018) .. but physics and mechanics? Where exactly is Pes 2018 lights ahead? If it is, it's showing it in so rare occasions I can't really appreciate a difference.

its hard to say what is more arcade game these days to be honest , pes or fifa ? ;)

,,PES 2018 is light years ahead''

sounds like nice trolling mate ;)

Maybe it is .. slightly overwhelmed. In other words, things have turned drastically over the last two years. PES 2018 has far better and more natural animations than FIFA. There is still more work to do, but the volume of work and quality of the PES team is great, while FIFA has serious problems since they start changing the engine. I'm optimistic about PES 2019 if they continue working the same way and capacity.

Well, I agree 100% with PESBUL that things have turned. Once upon a time we were playing PES because it had better gameplay. Now it's just for the gfx/animations I guess.

Last edited:
Maybe it is .. slightly overwhelmed. In other words, things have turned drastically over the last two years. PES 2018 has far better and more natural animations than FIFA. There is still more work to do, but the volume of work and quality of the PES team is great, while FIFA has serious problems since they start changing the engine. I'm optimistic about PES 2019 if they continue working the same way and capacity.
I have the complete opposite opinion. While there has been the odd decent game I suppose, I think PES has essentially been going nowhere for over a decade. All the things that once made PES great like the shooting, ball physics, player individuality, master league, foul system, edit mode, PES shop, etc... either haven't been improved, have gotten worse or no longer exist. From my experience, other than the graphics and some animations, PES is an inferior game and more expensive product than it was 11 years ago. FIFA on the other hand is a far better representation of the sport than it was back then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom