FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

both games have hardcore elements, fifa is all about variety and error depending on body posture/stats, whereas pes has the tactics, thats how i see it, all depends which hardcore element you lean more towards to, i myself love my tactics/player styles which is why i cant play fifa. what we all want is those areas combined together, which unfortunately these developers are having a tough time doing.

Last edited:
After spending many hours and weeks with both games and changing my opinion a million times...

FIFA 18 is the same old same old. It's fast, unrealistic nonsense created for FUT kiddies. Career Mode is too easy again (I was top of the league with Leicester in Legendary difficulty for nearly the whole of the season.)

Online it's boring. Every match feels similar. End to end. Over the top gameplay.

The visuals are nice but the colours are all over the shop at times. Night games look horrible. What's with the sepia effect?

PES 2018 is probably the better game but there's nothing to do. Master League is a shallow, empty experience. Nothing happens apart from playing matches. No fouls. No penalties. No injuries. It's really boring.

Online it's a laggy mess. Takes ages to find a match. Everyone chooses Real Madrid or Barcelona. I'm always a small club so don't stand a chance.

Lighting is perfect. Matches look better in PES at times. Even though visuals are basic and it looks like a PS3 game, I think the visuals are more suited to a football game rather than FIFA 18's 'dramatic, movie like' graphics which look stupid and out of place.

So both games are pretty poor in reality. I'm back to playing lots of Forza and Battlefield with mates because they're fun. I don't have fun with FIFA 18 or PES 2018 and that's key for me. Gaming is a way of escaping after a long day and neither football game satisfy my needs.

Football gaming died this year for me. Both EA and Konami are focusing on the awful FUT/myClub modes and couldn't care less about anything else.

Yes. Made the game feel sluggish and weird.

Sliders don't fix the basic fundamentals of what makes a good football game.

I hear this word sluggish a lot. It's actually called having weight to players, but no worries, simply bump the acceleration and sprint value and it will return to normal.

Sliders don't claim to fix anything other than you perceived experience. We work with what we've got - and improve the experience as much as possible.

I hear this word sluggish a lot. It's actually called having weight to players, but no worries, simply bump the acceleration and sprint value and it will return to normal.

Sliders don't claim to fix anything other than you perceived experience. We work with what we've got - and improve the experience as much as possible.
Where can I find the latest sliders to try? Am sure that's the best to use for now. Presumably on vanilla FIFA, no other patches which would interfere?

Oh man, what a bad year for football games. Loved PES 2017, but some things have so much worsened in 2018 (AI, nonexistent collisions, players running through defenders. nonreacting defenders...) that i cant really enjoy it. In 2017 i knew that if I concede a goal or let a player through, it was my fault. In 2018 its a fault of idiotic AI or bad physical system.
Switched to FIFA 18 (didnt like 17) and what a game it could be! Absolutely love the details, physical play and even more the shooting. Its such a joy that your shot can go literally everywhere depending on player atributes, body position etc. Felt in love with the shooting in FIFA. In PES, you can also miss depending on the things I mentioned, but the shooting has so much less variety and you always miss just by a little, in FIFA, you can hit the corner flag or row Z.
But it aint all sunshine, passing in FIFA is worse than in PES, sometimes too fast and too arcadey. Im a full manual online player only (btw FUMA in FIFA is a lot HARDER than in PES, what is great), which erases those things, but here comes the biggest problem for me - cant find FUMA opponents in Seasons on PS4.
So I can play PES (there I have less problems finding opponent), but I cant enjoy it because I consider FIFA a better on pitch game, but I cant play it, becuase I dont have time to wait for every game 40 minutes. Fuck it :D

Yesterday I started write a long post about this, but reflecting a bit (coincidentally with the imminent Pes patch) I think ultimately it's impossible to deeply delve in this titles as they are, and will almost certainly be, work in progress all season long.. so a patch or a gameplay mod of some kind could always turn the tables..

Talking really generally and about stuff that can't be changed, to me personally Pes looks more like real soccer due to smoother animations, almost perfect player models and a lightning system that makes realistically enjoyable every condition present.. and gameplay wise, despite the flaws when the game delivers it's simply magnificent..

Fifa is a great work, a lot of variety and improvements, but I can't get over player models and most of all some of the accelerated animations.. that said, I wish Pes had the customization capacity this Fifa has.. there is already awesome stuff around, I think in a couple of months modders will do miracles to the gameplay..

By the way I think we'll never get over this impasse, unless a third big, unlikely to happen competitor will decide to take the risk of breaking their duopoly..

I have play the two games a lot and at the present, for me, Fifa is winning my playing time.

On PES in the master league I found it too easy to get crosses in and ended up camped out in the their half. Increasing the difficulty only meant that opposition was more deadly on the break. Also, scores were very high in games. I also found, as I have in PES for a long time, the difference in the feel of the game in each stadium and in night games, made the game feel inconsistent. I would have 1 good game which felt perfect, then the next one my players would be way too fast and then the next would feel sluggish.

The game play in PES is affected by the following:

Mode - exhibition / master league
Stadium
Time off day
Weather
Uefa, Cup or Champions league games in ML
With right conditions and the right teams you can get a very good experience, but there is too many factors that need to be right. It is probably done to make the game more challenging, but playing one game and it being smooth and beating Man Utd in the premier league, should not be followed by you players suddenly becoming like controlling a skip in the Eufa cup and getting beaten off some tiny team where everything was stacked against you from shooting, to turning and passing.

Graphics wise, I think this year FIFA can look amazing, but there is more that needs set this year for this to happen. For example, day games in sunshine do not look as good as last years, but if you change the time of day to around 5 and set the weather to hazy, most stadiums look beautiful.

For me the more consistent feel, game play adjustments with sliders and needing to build up moves to get further into the oppositions half, means that I prefer Fifa to PES this year

Being one that has kind of given up on both games but continued reading the threads. I think today is quite a sad day for us evowebers after reading negative posts for both games today from some of the ‘old timers’. It seems the new patches, after building up some optimism, have now killed both games this year.

I seriously worry what will happen to both games in the future. :((

Being one that has kind of given up on both games but continued reading the threads. I think today is quite a sad day for us evowebers after reading negative posts for both games today from some of the ‘old timers’. It seems the new patches, after building up some optimism, have now killed both games this year.

I seriously worry what will happen to both games in the future. :((

I don't know if my opinion will matter at all to you or if it will make any difference, but let me tell you: I think both games are very good and both offer different approaches to the same sport.

One lacks what the other has and vice versa.
Neither is good enough out of the box, both benefit from their modding communities (specially on PC).

I'm not worried about any of these games for the future. On the contrary, I'm very optimistic!

I don't know if my opinion will matter at all to you or if it will make any difference, but let me tell you: I think both games are very good and both offer different approaches to the same sport.

One lacks what the other has and vice versa.
Neither is good enough out of the box, both benefit from their modding communities (specially on PC).

I'm not worried about any of these games for the future. On the contrary, I'm very optimistic!

Im pleased you like the games and are optimistic but PC gaming is a bit different from PS4 (like me) as there are modding communities that are able to improve the gameplay ;)

Funnily enough when i read some of the more positive posts in both ps4/xbox threads they are normally from pc gamers.

Last edited:
PES 2018 is not that bad for me. Yeah it's playable and kinda enjoyable, but not so much for me.
However I won't say Fifa 18 is great, as we know Fifa 18 also has various issues.
Both of them have many issues, but TBH Fifa 18 is better overall IMO.

Anyway below are my main complaints about PES 2018 comparing to FIFA 18.

Speaking of graphics, PES 2018's are not bad, it's clearly improved than before, but the direction is wrong.
Those graphics are just a squeezing to the end, or a raising up to the limit out of PS3-era graphics engine.
I don't see anything posh or even hopeful from those graphics.

When it comes to player's motion, Konami should have employed football players as mocap actors.
Every player runs and moves like a school girl.
Even women players in Fifa 18's Women's league run and move more manly than PES 2018's Barcelona players.

Talking of license, till when would they keep selling half the product, and dump the rest 50% on modders.
Even though modders build the 50% of it, Konami never respect them. On the contrary, Konami even accused a modder a few years ago. Anyway this 50% + 50% story is for PC users, what about console users then?

Loved Pes 18 when it came out,but got tired of the obvious lack of fouls,and it's dull career mode.
I know it's patched,and I'm updating it as we speak.

My gf bought me FIFA 18 as a present a month ago,and it looks stunning,minus the shitty night lightning.
Deeper career mode.
But,its boring as fuck, CPU having next to no build up play anymore,I've returned to the I'll reputed FIFA 17,and it's spot on,could be more fouls,so could 18.
Know there's an update for FIFA 18 as well,so I'll DL that to,set the game up right,and try it out.
Think last year,so far,pre patches for me,was a better year for football games.
But hey,it's given me time and focus on 2k18 instead:)
Win win?

only just touched Fifa this year, looks stunning on the Pro, but just feels off compared to PES (which looks exactly the same on Pro). I have pretty much been playing PES exclusively for 15 years though, so Fifa feeling off to me is hardly a surprise.

Gotta say anybody who thinks PES is better than FIFA gameplay wise needs to get down to specsavers and also needs a history lesson in how the game is played.

FIFA aint perfect, nope. But do you know what it has VARIETY in spades. Variety in shots, variety in moves, variety in crossing, variety in scrambles and deflections. THATS FOOTBALL. Yesterday i had Firmino and I managed to skip around Van Dijk at the touchline, it was beautiful. And it wasn't from just a skill move it was a combination of physics, a late sliding challenge, balance from Firmino and ball control. You just don't get that in PES.

I went back to PES after the new patch and initially I was wowed, but the wow factor has dissipated already. I don't know if its the adaptive A.I or what but the first few games are always a breath of fresh air and then a few games in something happens and it all becomes a bit repetitive and samey.

Ive been looking a Jimmys goals in the Pes thread and do you know what, they do nothing for me. They look staid and unnatural. Yesterday on fifa, i swung in a deep free kick and I got Mane to pull of a scissor effort. It went wide but I've never managed that before nor seen it since i bought the game. You never see the same goal twice and tap ins are as satisfying as a 30 yard rocket.

Pes has lost its variety. it does some things great, like i still prefer the graphic look and models, I still enjoy the player editing, celebrations, running styles etc and it HAS IMPROVED in the last few years, but even going back to Pes 13 and Pes 11 which had variety in spades, it aint a patch on them, even though yeah they look a little dated and stiff now.

Fifa hands down for me, from the different daylight settings, presentation, animations, variety, and that unknown football element.

Loved Pes 18 when it came out,but got tired of the obvious lack of fouls,and it's dull career mode.
I know it's patched,and I'm updating it as we speak.

My gf bought me FIFA 18 as a present a month ago,and it looks stunning,minus the shitty night lightning.
Deeper career mode.
But,its boring as fuck, CPU having next to no build up play anymore,I've returned to the I'll reputed FIFA 17,and it's spot on,could be more fouls,so could 18.
Know there's an update for FIFA 18 as well,so I'll DL that to,set the game up right,and try it out.
Think last year,so far,pre patches for me,was a better year for football games.
But hey,it's given me time and focus on 2k18 instead:)
Win win?

You see i don't get this? What game are you playing? what level are you playing on? Are you playing manually? The cpu doesn't play the same. The cpu plays the same on Pes though. Play it on professional and manual. Its a much better balanced experience, where you making errors adds to the flow. If you play on the top settings on either game you arnt going to get flow, just a CPU that is ramped up to win.

I'm a seasoned footy gamer with +25 years experience... PES and FIFA offline have a problem that every event on the pitch is under control of the engine, Nothing is random... No loose balls, No deflections and even clearances remain in the air until the designated receiver is ready... This is very apparent on higher difficulties on both games.

PES plays well for 4 or 5 games then it gets very repetitive and shallow very easily, I played a ML season where most of my scored goals were overhead kicks, or that trickling header from the six yard box with he goalie diving late, Kept conceding rebounds off the gk and the dreaded lofted through ball against every team.

FIFA despite all the sliders, bells and whistles, Is also very rigid and the lack of midfield play is just silly, End to end like basketball with the same pattern over and over again.

On the old PS2 era if you bring your gk forward the cpu would chip you, They would play based on their players stats and tactics and you'd have to adjust...Some of their players traits would force you to play a certain way to avoid their strengths and explore their weaknesses... Unfortunately we don't get this anymore.

Looking at people posting their goals on both games, It's the same pattern despite comparing 20 different users playing the game!!

Individuality is a joke as well, I have Mane,Salah and I can't utilize their pace because of the catch up mechanism... Also only the top top players handle like they do in real life coz of the limited player ID, Otherwise everyone else is the same....

These broken elements make offline a tedious repetitive experience that no real football fan can enjoy on the long run...

Hopefully the new hashtag campaigns and the strong community negative reaction to this complacency would get us closer to see a product representative of the beautiful game..

Gotta say anybody who thinks PES is better than FIFA gameplay wise needs to get down to specsavers and also needs a history lesson in how the game is played.

FIFA aint perfect, nope. But do you know what it has VARIETY in spades. Variety in shots, variety in moves, variety in crossing, variety in scrambles and deflections. THATS FOOTBALL. Yesterday i had Firmino and I managed to skip around Van Dijk at the touchline, it was beautiful. And it wasn't from just a skill move it was a combination of physics, a late sliding challenge, balance from Firmino and ball control. You just don't get that in PES.

I went back to PES after the new patch and initially I was wowed, but the wow factor has dissipated already. I don't know if its the adaptive A.I or what but the first few games are always a breath of fresh air and then a few games in something happens and it all becomes a bit repetitive and samey.

Ive been looking a Jimmys goals in the Pes thread and do you know what, they do nothing for me. They look staid and unnatural. Yesterday on fifa, i swung in a deep free kick and I got Mane to pull of a scissor effort. It went wide but I've never managed that before nor seen it since i bought the game. You never see the same goal twice and tap ins are as satisfying as a 30 yard rocket.

Pes has lost its variety. it does some things great, like i still prefer the graphic look and models, I still enjoy the player editing, celebrations, running styles etc and it HAS IMPROVED in the last few years, but even going back to Pes 13 and Pes 11 which had variety in spades, it aint a patch on them, even though yeah they look a little dated and stiff now.

Fifa hands down for me, from the different daylight settings, presentation, animations, variety, and that unknown football element.

Agree 100%.

Been playing Fifa 18 all day (plus a bit of Wolfenstein) and I've seen so many beautiful, individual things that echo the beautiful game in real life. In one match I struck a powerful low drive at goal from the edge of the box but a defender had stuck a leg out. It nicked off his shin and looped the ball up over the diving keeper into the top corner. So natural and believable.

One element where this is absolutely light years ahead of PES is the ball physics. Anyone that truly thinks the ball in Fifa doesn't have a looseness and unpredictable feature must be playing a footy game from a decade ago. It feels like any pass, cross, or shot can develop or transform into something else entirely when it interacts with body parts. The spin on the ball is also way ahead of PES.

So glad I've got this.

On the old PS2 era if you bring your gk forward the cpu would chip you, They would play based on their players stats and tactics and you'd have to adjust...Some of their players traits would force you to play a certain way to avoid their strengths and explore their weaknesses... Unfortunately we don't get this anymore.

Totally agree with this. In one match in PES2008 (PS2) the CPU had three one on ones. Each time i brought the GK out but the CPU tried different things. First it tried a chip that went wide, second it shot straight at the GK, lastly it took it round the keeper and scored. All in the same match and in the first half. That was in a game that is 10 years old!

You see i don't get this? What game are you playing? what level are you playing on? Are you playing manually? The cpu doesn't play the same. The cpu plays the same on Pes though. Play it on professional and manual. Its a much better balanced experience, where you making errors adds to the flow. If you play on the top settings on either game you arnt going to get flow, just a CPU that is ramped up to win.
Since professional and manual (or assisted) is way to easy?
And yes I know professional is the most balanced,still no challenge though

I'm a seasoned footy gamer with +25 years experience... PES and FIFA offline have a problem that every event on the pitch is under control of the engine, Nothing is random... No loose balls, No deflections and even clearances remain in the air until the designated receiver is ready... This is very apparent on higher difficulties on both games.

PES plays well for 4 or 5 games then it gets very repetitive and shallow very easily, I played a ML season where most of my scored goals were overhead kicks, or that trickling header from the six yard box with he goalie diving late, Kept conceding rebounds off the gk and the dreaded lofted through ball against every team.

FIFA despite all the sliders, bells and whistles, Is also very rigid and the lack of midfield play is just silly, End to end like basketball with the same pattern over and over again.

Looking at people posting their goals on both games, It's the same pattern despite comparing 20 different users playing the game!!

Individuality is a joke as well, I have Mane,Salah and I can't utilize their pace because of the catch up mechanism... Also only the top top players handle like they do in real life coz of the limited player ID, Otherwise everyone else is the same....

These broken elements make offline a tedious repetitive experience that no real football fan can enjoy on the long run...

Hopefully the new hashtag campaigns and the strong community negative reaction to this complacency would get us closer to see a product representative of the beautiful game..
Agree 100 percent, predictable as fuck,and mind you,haven't played FIFA since the update,and only one game in on Pes
Can't be bothered with neither of them right now
Good thing I've got other sports games filling the void

By the way, for how incomplete and flawed they might be, at the moment I'm having a great time with both games. Fidel's gameplay patches improved Fifa by a really incredible margin, and Pes, that I already liked enough btw, since last patch and Kilay's OF, is muuuch more enjoyable to me.

I think a lot of frustration this year comes from this as well, people wants a game good and ready to be played immediately after the purchase, without editing or going crazy for tweaks and community patches.. and honestly, I can't even blame them that much.

By the way, for how incomplete and flawed they might be, at the moment I'm having a great time with both games. Fidel's gameplay patches improved Fifa by a really incredible margin, and Pes, that I already liked enough btw, since last patch and Kilay's OF, is muuuch more enjoyable to me.

I think a lot of frustration this year comes from this as well, people wants a game good and ready to be played immediately after the purchase, without editing or going crazy for tweaks and community patches.. and honestly, I can't even blame them that much.

Just a shame these patches are not for PS4.

Not really playing either game now. I've become a bit bored of FIFA 18, and PES 2018 I found to be a rather horrid end-to-end arcade experience, with no fouls, poor AI and rubbish shooting. Sold that turd back in early Octember.

I see some people here talking about variety and how better Fifa is.I have both games.I play both but Pes more.Yes Fifa has more variety in shooting and is better in general in that aspect but that's about it.At passing and most other things Fifa's animations are rushed and complete faster than they should and for this reason they look and feel flickering and epileptic.They just don't execute naturally.Most passing animations feel like the player doesn't even move his foot and the pass is made automatically on it's own.Is this shit realistic..?C'mon now...
And what variety exactly??Pes has different arm movement,running styles,corner kick styles etc and better player individuality in general.In Fifa they all feel the same,they added Ronaldo running style and even that they messed up because he only accelerates like this in real life,not running all the time like this like they made it in the game lol.
Foot size/Ball size ratio is wrong in Fifa and in most situations the ball looks small like a futsal ball.In Pes the size is great and the ball looks stunning.I play on -1 speed and every pass and movement has a realistic feel of wheight on it and these animations complete naturally and fluidly,not rushed and flashy.You can dribble opponets with the momentum of body movement and wrong foot them.In Fifa you can hardly dribble unless you start doing shitty flicks and tricks.
In general Pes just smells football...Fifa smells more like grass hockey.I have spent many time trying to play with sliders and have a better result but then players start jogging and shit and other weird animations occur if you try to lower speed,acceleration etc.Fifa's mechanics are just build this way,for fast paced arcadey football and flashy reactions and animations and unfortunatelly you can't fix this shit with just sliders,it just makes things even weirder.Also night lighting is a joke and the person who thought it's realistic and made it like this must be fired.
I still play it sometimes for a change,i'm not a hater.But if i see a game in the near future moving towards a more realistic and sim route this is definatelly Pes cause Fifa seems to care more for Fut kiddies.
Pes is not near perfect,it has flaws with the biggest of them to be some outdated shooting physics but atleast i see them trying every year to improve and evolve cause they know that gameplay is their biggest weapon and only hope to achieve something.On the other hand EA knows that even if they don't do shit,they'll still sell millions copies cause people are sheep and go with the mass and buy what everyone plays...

Back
Top Bottom