FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

I don't get this hard to play fifa on the pitch ..its light years ahead of PES this year..pes is way too one dimensional and predictable..shooting has little variation and don't get me going on the AI ..i played a championship master league game and the AI did seven perfect back heels in one match two of which were perfect through balls ..ridiculous..far too arcadey this year
Pes is lovely to play with a few friends locally.

But it severely lacks against the CPU this year.

I have a love/hate relationship with the damn thing!

I don't get this hard to play fifa on the pitch ..its light years ahead of PES this year..pes is way too one dimensional and predictable..shooting has little variation and don't get me going on the AI ..i played a championship master league game and the AI did seven perfect back heels in one match two of which were perfect through balls ..ridiculous..far too arcadey this year

That's why these conversations are useless cause everyone looks at the package differently. If pes feels arcady to you it doesn't mean it is. Maybe your play style or setting dectiates that feeling. I don't know maybe I should give Fifa a chance to click, it's just as u switch to play it coming from PES it looks cartoonish ..has no character, players look like moving sticks. Maybe once u overcome the initial impression and dig deeper in the game it will click. Anyway glad everyone is enjoying both games

Both games are like ice cream:
FIFA is the store brand, it looks yummy when you see it in the store and it taste decent, but not that great at the same time.
PES is the home made ice cream, it doesn't quite look that great, without all the flamboyant stuff, it has issues, but boy does it taste genuine!

P.S. Nothing is wrong with a store brand ice cream, it is just mass made.

Last edited:
Both games are like ice cream:
FIFA is the store brand, it looks yummy when you see it in the store and it taste decent, but not that great at the same time.
PES is the home made ice cream, it doesn't quite look that great, without all the flamboyant stuff, it has issues, but boy does it taste genuine!

P.S. Nothing is wrong with a store brand ice cream, it is just mass made.
very well said

I wish I could combine elements of both games to make the almost perfect football game:

PES gameplay
PES player models and movement
Fifa commentary and sound effects and crowd noise as well as the sound of the ball hitting the net is amazing
Fifa presentation it's proper matchday feel
PES editing with stadium editor kit makers outdo fifas
Fifa licenses and updating
PES lighting fifa is too dark and looks fake
Fifas turf looks like proper grass
PES player individuality
Fifa set pieces
PES myclub
Fifa mini challenges can keep me busy for hours amazing how much time I spend trying to knock off people's records
PES UCL license
PES keepers seem more real to me

Both still needs work on:
ML or career mode both have wobbly transfers
Both PES and fifa have very inconsistent online connectivity but that could be down to users connection
Opposition AI on both games are shocking and needs a rework as it affects ai pass accuracy, shooting and fouling imo

Last edited:
I must of played a dud copy of Fifa compared to what others have played, the copy I played, Fifa on manual, star players when not under pressure pass like retards at times very frustrating, when I put it on semi auto, I don't feel the individuality, the hard driven pass should be axed ruins the game IMO, also can't predict where that type of player should run as I see it as random so no individuality there, the animations which the players run like spaghetti legs, the animations speed up when u have a shot on goal which has been in Fifa for a long time and don't like it, but as I said I must have a dud copy, and don't get me started on this fan boy shit, Iv ditched pes twice enjoyed Fifa 14 and Fifa 16 a lot.
Konami are at a point where they need to make ML like a Fifa type career mode next year as well as proper atmosphere or they will definitely lose me as a customer, it's at that point.

Last edited:
i see more error from AI in FIFA and from my players.
Presentation is shit in PES, how long has this commentary been outdated?
Animations in FIFA are still better because there's lots more especially shooting and keepers.

TBO, i think both games are cash company cows and underdeveloped. Not tickling my fancy.
Reason i still play old PES...
Just in case you don't understand the reason i still play old PES, it's because today's games just don't have the brilliance they did last decade.

Last edited:
I played Pes demo and I thought I’d gone back to 2006!
So dated.
Everything about the game need modernising.
Fifa isn’t perfect. No games are.
My biggest issue with PES 2018 is the way the players move when you're in control of them. It's still so archaic and dated feeling.

Fifa 18 the best football game I've ever played. That's a big statement from someone that spent from 2006-2016 playing PES 6 almost every single day.

Yep, did that too once I finished trawling through the options. Been enjoying the game far more than I expected too. How's your game going mate? Found Matt's sliders yet?

I did.
Honestly? I swear to God, I tried so hard to like it.
I played about 10 matches, on Professional difficulty, 10 minute halves, with Matt's sliders.
I can't like this game. Everything in FIFA looks old for me. When I say 'look' I'm not talking just about graphics (which are horrible). I mean some of the animations. The way players interact with the ball. How they run. When you 'give' them a quick command (like a quick short pass) the animation look so strange. Sometimes I feel the strength you put into a certain action (specially passes) isn't reflected by the animation that takes place, for example a grounded strong pass is performed with a weak passing animation, like the player took no effort to do it.

In terms of graphics: Player models. Player kits and cloth physics (specially shorts). The pitches. The color palette. Some player faces. I can't take it. Specially when you realize this is EA we're talking about. A company so full of resources... I just can't wrap my head about how weak FIFA is and how perfect it could be.

I wanted to start a career mode so bad. Because I do know that Game Modes are indeed powerful. But it was hard for me to complete a whole match. I got bored in each of them. Not because I'm looking for an end to end game. Nothing further from what I want from a football game. But because the game itself is boring. I love slow paced games and having to think every pass in order to progress across the pitch. But this game TRIES to do that and fails, making the matches boring.
It was really hard for me to finish each of those matches. Sometimes I would quit long before it reached 90+ minutes.

Tried different teams, of course. Different leagues. The strongest teams in the world. And also some lower class ones. I wanted to see if it had any impact on my experience with the game. But I just can't like this.

After all those 10 matches, I went back to PES and I valued it so much more. Like, literally, realized PES' greatness in all its glory (in my opinion, of course) so much more now. In every aspect: Graphics, match flow and animations. Specially animations.

I never thought I'd see the day in which PES could beat FIFA in terms of animations like this. Hands down.

Obviously, this is just my opinon. I'm no fanboy. I'm a football fanboy, if anything. But until PES 2018 came out, it was unthinkable for me to see the animations in each game and see this massive gap between the two. I mean, PES 2017 did have some nice animations, but FIFA had so many more. But now... not only PES has tons of animations, but they look smooth, organic and most importantly: Realistic. Not robotic.

I really want EA to wake up. No need for another silly change of Engine. They need to shuffle the cards and deal again.
Unfortunately, I can't see that happening. Because sales dictate the tempo. They won't be interested in anything until they get hit on the sales.

I played Pes demo and I thought I’d gone back to 2006!
So dated.
Everything about the game need modernising.
Fifa isn’t perfect. No games are.
agree, Konami gives half of what EA does and thinks were going to get excited with a data pack with a new stadium.
Game menus in PES are so outdated.
TBO i don't know why Konami keeps making it.
They will never catch up. So why not just move on to something else.
I want Konami to go away into oblivion and let some other developer who care, make a footy game.

Last edited:
Fifa 18 player models look very dated to me especially the way they move, am very disappointed, tried to like this game cos of the career mode it has but I'm forcing my self to enjoy it and that's not right, ended up refunding the game, good to see a lot of others enjoying it tho.

Fifa 18 the best football game I've ever played. That's a big statement from someone that spent from 2006-2016 playing PES 6 almost every single day.

I'm loving it now too. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up though. Do we still enjoy it as much two months from now or will some annoynaces have appeared by then? We'll see, but I agree, I've enjoyed it immensely the past week. :)

Im enjoying Fifa but thats because PES is nowhere near the game it once was.
I dont like the direction Konami have gone in as they have become, EA.
They want end to end games. Theyve forgotten that die hard PES fans love a dull 0-0 - because it happens in football.
Both games are geared up for goals goals goals and sometimes football isnt like that.
When PES was king I wouldnt even look at FIFA - I had the first ever one on MegaDrive but always preferred Sensible Soccer. When I moved to PS - I didnt like FIFA back then either. People I knew loved it as it was goal crazy.
Me and about 8 mates loves PES - We had round robins long into the night and it was amazing.

Konami are pushing their fanbase to FIFA while trying to be like FIFA at the same time.
If both games are like FIFA then people will go FIFA as the presentation and match day atmosphere will seal the deal for most.

My mate loves football, spurs ticket holder, plays football, has a PS4 but wont buy FIFA or PES - He says as football is his life that when he plays PS4 he wants to escape football for a bit.

Got me thinking. I was so fed up with PES and FIFA last year I sold my PS4 Pro. I didnt play a game for 8 months then bought a switch cos kids wanted one and had done well at school. Weve had a blast playing Splatoon and Mario.
DOOM is coming soon and Pokemon is a fun game too.

Last week my son gave me his old XBOX1 so I bought fifa (but i really want the new COD and Star Wars games) and although Ive enjoyed FIFA this last few days there are moments when I dont enjoy it because there are things in the game that remind me why PES was so good in its prime and why I never liked Fifa.

Its like im enjoying Fifa because PES has lost it rather then FIFA becoming a great game, its good but not great. Its just the best out of the 2.
I dont think another company will bother to make a football game as they wont be able to get licenses and to beat FIFA nowadays is impossible.

Next year I think ill go down my mates route and not bother with either. Who am I kidding right? But I really hope I can do it.

Rant over...
Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
They want end to end games. Theyve forgotten that die hard PES fans love a dull 0-0 - because it happens in football.
Both games are geared up for goals goals goals and sometimes football isnt like that.
When PES was king I wouldnt even look at FIFA - I had the first ever one on MegaDrive but always preferred Sensible Soccer. When I moved to PS - I didnt like FIFA back then either. People I knew loved it as it was goal crazy.
Me and about 8 mates loves PES - We had round robins long into the night and it was amazing.

Konami are pushing their fanbase to FIFA while trying to be like FIFA at the same time.
If both games are like FIFA then people will go FIFA as the presentation and match day atmosphere will seal the deal for most.

My mate loves football, spurs ticket holder, plays football, has a PS4 but wont buy FIFA or PES - He says as football is his life that when he plays PS4 he wants to escape football for a bit.

Got me thinking. I was so fed up with PES and FIFA last year I sold my PS4 Pro. I didnt play a game for 8 months then bought a switch cos kids wanted one and had done well at school. Weve had a blast playing Splatoon and Mario.

Last week my son gave me his old XBOX1 so I bought fifa (but i really want the new COD and Star Wars games) and although Ive enjoyed FIFA this last few days there are moments when I dont enjoy it because there are things in the game that remind me why PES was so good in its prime and why I never liked Fifa.

Its like im enjoying Fifa because PES has lost it rather then FIFA becoming a great game, its good but not great. Its just the best out of the 2.
I dont think another company will bother to make a football game as they wont be able to get licenses and to beat FIFA nowadays is impossible.

Next year I think ill go down my mates route and not bother with either. Who am I kidding right? But I really hope I can do it.

Rant over...
Enjoy your day.

A balanced unbiased post. . well done.

Rant over...
Enjoy your day.

Spot on I will say.

At the moment im playing FIFA. PES has too many problems at the moment. The potential is very big in PES 2018. When everything clicks it's still the game i love the most. When it's Best it's individuality is just insane. The AI is insane.

But at the moment, when playing the most deep mode (Master League) it is like playing the same game over and over again. The AI looks broken. The thing with Konami is that everything just gets weird. In exhibition mode with live updates turned on, the game is a beauty. AI plays differently and the game is clicking. The problem is that weird things i happening and some modes seems destroyed.

I am enjoying FIFA. It is just a much less frustrating experience.
The AI is improved and I am enjoying Career Mode. Players still lack individuality. Can't really feel the difference as in PES, but it's just a more solid game of football right now.
I still has a feeling that in time, FIFA will be a bit repetitive.
Graphics is great FIFA, but i must say that it's bit off that when playing with Milan in Serie A, there is very few faces i can recognize. Really it's Bonucci and Montolivo alone i think. Not good enough.

It makes me laugh how views are ranging between "both games are great" and "both games are terrible"! :D It makes me realise how we'll never be happy as a whole, only ever in pockets. They've got the hardest job in the world. I know @gerd has said it before, but how do any developers take on board this mash of opinion?

That being said, personally, I'm pretty shocked (yet I don't know why) how passing and first-time-passing has become super-accurate in both by default. It spoils both games for me, but also absolutely shows their new direction, IMO.

I liked PES 2016, loved 2017 (put together the BOE patches for it for months). 2018 I just can't enjoy because of the AI - but I'd rather go on about why I 100% understand why others enjoy it (the flow of the game is brilliant, dribbling is great, and it feels like you're controlling nimble footballers as opposed to clumsy bloaters like me playing for the local pub team).

A patch would pique my interest, but I don't think they'll look into AI. So I don't think I'll play PES 2018 again, and for someone who dedicated months to that patch last year, it's no throwaway statement. It's a sad thing.

FIFA 18 has something fundamentally weird about it - I played on Professional, World Class and Legendary last night (same match, Bolton v Wisla Krakow), and AI pass accuracy was 88%, 90% and 70% respectively. The easier two difficulties have the AI playing tiki-taka and yet on Legendary they misplace a ton of passes. Whaaa?

Then the user passing - assisted passing is WAY too assisted, semi passing is so random (tap the button and the ball will potentially roll off your foot to nobody, or go a mile past the player you're trying to pass to).

Again, a patch could work wonders (or make it even worse), but I can't see them looking into anything for offline gamers.

I've had moments in FIFA that have made me go "wow", so for me, it's the one I'll play most - and yet I feel like I should just go back to 17.

I have hope that there will be a difficulty/assist/slider combo that will spark it into life for me, but it won't fix that AI passing desperation.

But I'm already looking forward to the new Football Manager...

Just think what the Japanese think about Konami's approach to PES. They like Dark Souls type games "hard".
Konami's Japanese baseball game pro yakyuu spirits 2015

and jikkyou powerful pro yakyuu 2016

These games are like old PES very difficult and challenging.
This is why i don't understand why Konami doesn't make Winning eleven different and more Japanese like.

When PES was king I wouldnt even look at FIFA

well said, i played Winning Eleven 8 LE yesterday 20min game and couldn't score but AI couldn't score either. Game was 0-0 and i loved it because it was competitive!

Does anybody know that in PES 2018 on Top Player you can go up 1-0 and just pass the ball about in the red area. The defensive AI just let's you. Shit programming on a grand scale.
soccer-field.png

and IGN gave it a 92%....... They are noobs!

Last edited:
Does anybody know that in PES 2018 you can go up 1-0 and just pass the ball about in the red area. The defensive AI just let's you. Shit programming on a grand scale.
soccer-field.png
Yes. I've seen instances where you win the ball back with a defender and the opposing strikers proceeds to immediately retreat to the half way line instead of trying to win the ball back. Been going on for a few years.

I am finally done with PES as a series.

I will post in here rather than PES thread my reasons why so I don't upset anyone. Can't believe I just typed that but hey ho.

Pes 2018, in exhibition games, is lovely. Superstar, default speed, it's a joy to play, challenging but not impossible. Game flows well, player models look amazing, animations are top notch.

But I can't play pointless exhibition games all year. So I get into Master League. Top Player is far, faaaaaar too easy. I have already worked out how to score 2 or 3 goals every match with BRIGHTON. Not Barcelona.

On Superstar it's an impossible, script fest. The CPU decides when it wants to score and there is nothing you can do about it. On top of that, when I am clean through on goal, Barnsley's centre back can miraculously get back and pull me to the ground - and guess what? No penalty, nothing.

Online it's still a shambles. Barca and Real Madrid. Every single game. Plus button lag and arcadey, ping pong passing.

FIFA 18 has its faults too. But it's a far deeper, immersive and a mature game than PES 2018 - which feels and looks like a PS3 game still.

I am not giving Konami any more of my hard earned GBP. They need to disappear in my opinion and let someone like 2K games make a footy game because Konami are done; their attitude stinks and their PR men Bhatti and Tanvir are super fanboys that never take any criticism seriously. Then you've got their weird followers like that Curdstar chap who accept mediocrity every damn year and hail PES as "the king is back!" Every. Damn. Year.

It's all "faces", "classic players" (yawn!) and "Guess what? In January you'll be able to play at Craven Cottage!"

Amateurs the lot of them.

Rant over.

I will post in here rather than PES thread my reasons why so I don't upset anyone. Can't believe I just typed that but hey ho.

Pes 2018, in exhibition games, is lovely. Superstar, default speed, it's a joy to play, challenging but not impossible. Game flows well, player models look amazing, animations are top notch.

But I can't play pointless exhibition games all year. So I get into Master League. Top Player is far, faaaaaar too easy. I have already worked out how to score 2 or 3 goals every match with BRIGHTON. Not Barcelona.

On Superstar it's an impossible, script fest. The CPU decides when it wants to score and there is nothing you can do about it. On top of that, when I am clean through on goal, Barnsley's centre back can miraculously get back and pull me to the ground - and guess what? No penalty, nothing.

Online it's still a shambles. Barca and Real Madrid. Every single game. Plus button lag and arcadey, ping pong passing.

FIFA 18 has its faults too. But it's a far deeper, immersive and a mature game than PES 2018 - which feels and looks like a PS3 game still.

I am not giving Konami any more of my hard earned GBP. They need to disappear in my opinion and let someone like 2K games make a footy game because Konami are done; their attitude stinks and their PR men Bhatti and Tanvir are super fanboys that never take any criticism seriously. Then you've got their weird followers like that Curdstar chap who accept mediocrity every damn year and hail PES as "the king is back!" Every. Damn. Year.

It's all "faces", "classic players" (yawn!) and "Guess what? In January you'll be able to play at Craven Cottage!"

Rant over.

Agree with you totally. Since when did faces, boots, and rosters become more important than gameplay? It's really sad because I've spent 20 years of my life with PES but now it's cheating on me, that FIFA girl over there is damn hot and I can't resist.

Pes models are better than fifa but the animations with the ball are so dated ..no point having better models if for example you have very little shot variation or really poor Collison detection so there's no fouls..and whilst they are better they aren't massively better ...in my opinion when fifa sort out their models, which they will long before PES will sort out their issues, PES will could be in serious trouble. Early sales show Pes was knocked off number one slot by NBA after only a week in the UK , then destiny 2 before FIFA was released which is number 1..suggest majority have bought fifa for their football fix

Rant over.
yep, after playing FIFA 18 i see PES as a 30$ game because you get half of what FIFA has.

Agree with you totally. Since when did faces, boots, and rosters become more important than gameplay? It's really sad because I've spent 20 years of my life with PES but now it's cheating on me, that FIFA girl over there is damn hot and I can't resist.
IMO FIFA is more sim than PES.

Pes models are better than fifa but the animations with the ball are so dated ..no point having better models if for example you have very little shot variation or really poor Collison detection so there's no fouls..and whilst they are better they aren't massively better ...in my opinion when fifa sort out their models, which they will long before PES will sort out their issues, PES will could be in serious trouble. Early sales show Pes was knocked off number one slot by NBA after only a week in the UK , then destiny 2 before FIFA was released which is number 1..suggest majority have bought fifa for their football fix
when games in motion FIFA looks more like what i see on tv.

Back
Top Bottom