FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

Re: FIFA 16 Demo v PES 2016 Demo

I'll be getting both. Which I prefer in the end will depend on what's different/improved in the final releases because based on the demos, the games are pretty close with different pros/cons to each.

FIFA has ridiculous amounts of variety and life to it. But I F'ing hate the player models and it feels like playing a cartoon at times. A lot of the legacy issues are still present, and the demo feels a bit clunky to me. The backline defending is now sound but the tactical defending system still blows. Some features feel "off" and I expect an improved retail release, so we'll see, but for all the life and variety on the pitch, FIFA is starting to feel stale to me.

PES feels silky smooth and is a joy to control. Love the pace, love the passing, love how it just "feels" to build up play. Individuality as usual trumps FIFA by a good margin. But the lack of CPU fouls is a massive issue, shooting inside the box is poorly done, lots of goals feel pretty lame, defensive AI can be wanting, and option files are a must.

Last edited:

I like the build up play in PES 2016 as well, one of the positives of the demo - it's superb in that department.

It's just awful at the most important end of the pitch - scoring goals.

Im sure both games are good in their ways. Have always said if you take the best from both you would have one hell of a game.

PES though to me - as ive got older - just seems a lot of hard work to get it look good. Yes it plays nice but not nice enough. Scoring goals was pure joy in older PESs - its not now for some reason.

ps - Shopto are processing FIFA orders on 21/09 for desptach on 22nd meaning game arrives on Wednesday.

think ive finally made mind up when and go Fifa. Ill get PES in a few months time when Option files are done and game has been patched a few times.

I think this is a wise move!

So far this is what i got from the demos.
I play manual controls on both games.
This is the positives i can think of for Fifa.
I will think of PES positives later on.

PES
Player impacts are ok but still behind fifas.
Slide tackles don't work as well as fifas.
Player switching on semi auto switches your player on defense when it's not suppose to and on manual it doesn't switch on offence." of course i want it to switch to the player with the ball"
Refs need improvement, no fouls
Stiff, the players seem stiff.
Corner kicks need work.
Outdated menus still!
When you get past the back line defenders they catch up to you every time "like a defender is faster than a winger" no 1 on 1 with the keepers.
I feel scripting at times.
Makes you run on rails when you pass through balls.
Player switching isn't responsive enough with stick.
I don't like the lighting sun effects there too dull.
Still lacks animations running looks bad!
Goalies are better, but still deflect the ball right to AI for goals."Feel they work against me"
Ball physics are what i loved about PES over Fifa but it's about the same now.
Sounds of the crowd hasn't changed in years.
Commentary none!
Pace of game is a little to fast on 0.
Presentation SUCKS!

FIFA
Player impacts look better and better with more animations added.
Slide tackles are much better.
Manual player switching works like it should.
Refs are better.
Players move like real life.
Corner kicks are nice being able to give instructions to teammates.
Nice menus
If you get by the defense with a winger you can get a 1 on 1 with the keeper.
Passing is improved with the new R1 X pass.
I don't see scripting BS.
You can run anyway you want at anytime in game.
Player switching is very responsive. "i can switch to anyone quickly"
Sun lighting through clouds going bright to less bright is great.
Animations of players and goalies is very nice.
Goalies are good and help me out like they should.
Ball physics are improved!
Crowd and beating of drums sounds great!
Solid commentary.
Slower pace of game is much better.
Presentation is better than any sports game out there!

Last edited:

This plus the shooting being lifeless and it being too easy to score goals is why I aint keen on that PES Demo.

It really is amazing how many people are complaining about the shooting/goals feeling soulless/lifeless. I have read SO MANY people say this at various different forums and on YouTube video comments.

Don't Konami employ play testers for god sake? Or do they just have nodding dogs that pretend the game is the best thing since sliced bread.

It's madness when you think about it.

Lol, I like how this is in the FIFA subforum.

If my opinion is worth anything, FIFA is a beautiful looking game. It looks absolutely sensational, the animations are fantastic. For me, it's the best looking Football game ever.

However, I can't stand the gameplay. For me, everything seems so sluggish and slow. I understand EA tried to slow the game down, but this is way too slow for me. I play video games for fun, but I don't want to sit down for 90 minutes on my fucking seat, just too stand a chance of scoring. I hate the defending too. Every team plays the same for me, and anything above professional difficulty, the ball becomes impossible to win back.

Like I mentioned, just my thoughts, and I'm probably going to get moaned at for negatively posting in the FIFA forum, but hey. Clown Baby was doing the same in the PES forum for weeks. :D

FIFA 16 Demo v PES 2016 Demo

Lol, I like how this is in the FIFA subforum.

If my opinion is worth anything, FIFA is a beautiful looking game. It looks absolutely sensational, the animations are fantastic. For me, it's the best looking Football game ever.

However, I can't stand the gameplay. For me, everything seems so sluggish and slow. I understand EA tried to slow the game down, but this is way too slow for me. I play video games for fun, but I don't want to sit down for 90 minutes on my fucking seat, just too stand a chance of scoring. I hate the defending too. Every team plays the same for me, and anything above professional difficulty, the ball becomes impossible to win back.

Like I mentioned, just my thoughts, and I'm probably going to get moaned at for negatively posting in the FIFA forum, but hey. Clown Baby was doing the same in the PES forum for weeks. :D

Everyone is entitled to their opinion mate. After all, it's just a game!

:))

Last edited:

Pes 2016

Settings: Manual passing, Basic shooting, top player/superstar

+ Varied tactics
+ Game feels alive(players fighting for every ball, lots of clever runs)
+ Player ID
+ Collisions

- Arcade feel
- Lack of fouls
- Most goals feel cheap when scored in the box*
- Too much space allowed when sprinting
- level 1 bar is too assisted needs something in-between

*People saying to switch to manual shooting for more varied outcomes. For me basic is the most realistic way, I still choose corner I want to put it in,
the power and if I want to finesse/chip. It should be the stats, body postion and if using strong foot which determines if its a clean strike.

Overall its a good game held back by its limited shooting.

Fifa 2016

Settings: Semi passing/shooting, Manual everything else. World class(cpu pass error 55), slow

+ Nice pace
+ Lots of variety
+ simulation feel(most games end in only 1 goal)
+ Fouls(sad that this should be a positive)
+ Shooting feels great
+ Defence overall more solid
+ Players have real weight

- Tactical defending I find a bit unnatural but legacy is too overpowered can dispossess Messi with ease which isn't right
- Cpu has moments where it keeps ball for too long and is impossible to get near them (this is with weaker teams, don't mind if its a stronger team)
- Goalkeepers could be better don't deal with loose balls well when they make a save. Ball seems to magnet to their gloves when crosses come in)
- Players look strange in cutscenes (Pes is much better in this regard)

Overall Fifa wins for me, will probably save Pes for the Euro 2016 game/dlc

I'll be getting both. Which I prefer in the end will depend on what's different/improved in the final releases because based on the demos, the games are pretty close with different pros/cons to each.

FIFA has ridiculous amounts of variety and life to it. But I F'ing hate the player models and it feels like playing a cartoon at times. A lot of the legacy issues are still present, and the demo feels a bit clunky to me. The backline defending is now sound but the tactical defending system still blows. Some features feel "off" and I expect an improved retail release, so we'll see, but for all the life and variety on the pitch, FIFA is starting to feel stale to me.

PES feels silky smooth and is a joy to control. Love the pace, love the passing, love how it just "feels" to build up play. Individuality as usual trumps FIFA by a good margin. But the lack of CPU fouls is a massive issue, shooting inside the box is poorly done, lots of goals feel pretty lame, defensive AI can be wanting, and option files are a must.

Good post!

I´ll probably be getting both too.
PES (PS4) for online and with the mates, but I´ll also be trying the ML.
But not on day 1!

FIFA (PC) for CM mostly and sometimes also mates (whatever we prefer, FIFA or PES).
I´ll be trying online too. If they didn´t change the pace it might be probably quite cool online then.

I see it the same way as mfmaxpower.
PES has that really nice fluid animations, which look quite lifelike in many situations.
Many things around it are lacking of content though.
Plus, I really start hating the behaviour of KONAMI when it comes to PES, but I don´t wanna start here.

On FIFA, there are nice animations too. But there are too many situations where it feels like you are controlling string puppets.
The fouling system is nice, you can comprehend why someone falls, cause his foot was hooked or he got pushed, but as soon as the player falls on the ground, it has that unnatural ragdollish look, that I don´t like.
On PES this one looks much more real.

On the other hand again, when you watch that replay highlights on FIFA after every match, it looks very real as it´s in slow motion.
If they´d just get that cartoonish puppet animations out of the game.

No need to talk about faces, they are way better in PES.

Every game has pros and cons.
Thx god I´m not one of those who finds FIFA dull, boring and soulless.
I feel the total opposite. That "any thing can happen" feeling which PES used to give me is totally there.

All in all, FIFA resembles more of a real TV broadcast to me, so I´d say as well: FIFA wins, even I like a lot of stuff about PES too.

It´s really like that feat is missing here and this feat is missing there.

Thx god we´re able to choose.

Last edited:

Just my thoughts on the two demos as it's better to post in here then to be perceived as trolling on the Fifa thread..

My issue with the Fifa16 demo isn't speed but the unrealistic way the game moves and flows..physics are good as is the presentation,however it just feels a world away from real football(way to artificial).

What for me stands out is when you they slow the animation cycles down it just looks jerky and more pes when it was clunky..

I genuinely believe ea have dropped the ball this year and pes is in a different dimension.

If that's the best ea can do with all the cash they have then they might as well give up..even with more weight it still feels weightless.

And there was me thinking Fifa14 and Fifa15 were on the right track..they just don't get the fundamentals of footie and how to convey that in a gaming form..

Konami reign king again...the collisions are just more organic as is the way pes16 ebbs and flows...Imo naturally.

Last edited:

Hmmm well each to their own.

I think PES keeper animations made a huge step forward, specially on saves.
But imho I would not say that they are better than FIFA.
Absolutely not!

Big plus is, that they roll on the ground now after they jumped up (I think that came with PES 2015).
I was waiting quite long for this.
Big big minus is when they let goals through and it looks like they don´t show any kind of effort and are not stretching out.
This is mostly with shots in the box.

FIFA does that better imo.
When keepers stretch out and it´s comprehensible that they were trying to get the ball.

If KONAMI manages that to implement, I would change my mind.

It´s also possible that there are a few animations which look better in PES than in FIFA.

But in total - to me - FIFA clearly wins on that aspect.

my experience with pc demo of fifa 16, the GK in replay looks weird.. no show of facial expression during performing saves :P

For me fifa14 was there best game..offline I could hammer anyone who hammered the sprint button and just run forward by retaining the ball and waiting for my moment..the fifa15 demo was ace but they backtracked on release..

I agree with those that say a footie game should be fun and enjoyable..Fifa has gone down the pes of a few years ago root of being like pulling teeth now.

Naturally it's got the cosmetics so for many especially pc users that will be a big draw,and I suspect those that like to play footie in slow motion like its the 50s again will be satisfied...for me footie isn't a slow game anymore(arguably).

Last edited:

Something else I must mention and I'm sure even the most ardent fanboy would agree..the passing in pes16 especially in unassisted is just so much more satisfying then Fifas and all those little micro touches the players take on the ball in pes16..

In the Fifa demo players off the ball are moving in slow motion and in pes16 they just intercept and make movements off the ball better when the ball is moving towards the player..

I don't think anyone can deny the ball moves way to slow at times in the Fifa demo..

So many subjective views but there are clear differences in the fundamentals that resonate as fact.

You also notice the stop/start in the animation cycles in Fifa...it's strangely unnerving.

Last edited:

I genuinely believe ea have dropped the ball this year and pes is in a different dimension.
Well I genuinely think you're deluded if you think "EA have dropped the ball". Check out the overwhelming positivity in here, man, and let's see how sales stack up compared to 15.

Fair enough if you don't like it, and if you prefer PES, that's absolutely understandable given the sizeable difference between the two games. But to say "EA have dropped the ball" given the overwhelmingly positive reception is a bit like saying "these 'car' machines, I think Henry Ford has dropped the ball on this one, have you tried this year's horses, they're great".

I agree with some of what you say - FIFA 14 was my favourite too - but you make yourself sound like a fanboy as well. I'm not in the PES thread proclaiming that PES hasn't changed since the PS2 days and will never enter the 21st century on the pitch (which it clearly has, but I'm not a fanboy)...

Last edited:

I think your the one defending Fifa not me being a rabbid fanboy..

Like I pointed out you don't have to be Einstein to see the differences and it's purely my opinion..

It bothers you more then me!..never one to be swayed by public opinion and I always incourage people to think for themselves..my comments shouldn't impact how you feel about the game just as I'm more then satisfied with pes productions output this year.

And just as ozone used to say to me try harder next time Chris because your not getting a negative reaction from me regarding your comments.

Last edited:

I think your the one defending Fifa not me being a rabbid fanboy..

Like I pointed out you don't have to be Einstein to see the differences and it's purely my opinion..

It bothers you more then me!..never one to be swayed by public opinion and I always incourage people to think for themselves..my comments shouldn't impact how you feel about the game just as I'm more then satisfied with pes productions output this year.

And just as ozone used to say to me try harder next time Chris because your not getting a negative reaction from me regarding your comments.
Saying EA have "dropped the ball" is a statement of fact as opposed to an opinion of the demo. Dislike the game all you want but amongst a sea of positivity, amongst the non-FUT kiddies too, to say EA have "dropped the ball" is utterly ridiculous. If someone said that about PES in the PES part of the forum I am 100% sure you would leap to its defence and state once again that "PES is in a different dimension" (no comment).

And this is after you took the time to type so many subjective views but there are clear differences in the fundamentals that resonate as fact - clearly you have no idea what a "fact" is. Your opinion was formed before you'd downloaded any demo.

You say "EA have dropped the ball" as a statement of fact and I'm the one who's trolling. Utterly deluded. Enjoy PES.

Last edited:

Everything's opinion Chris,what resonates as fact is the off the ball movement is in slow mo in the Fifa demo(it's clear as day as is the reality the flow,look and the collisions are more natural in pes)..plus Fifa stop starts in its animation flow and it's very evident..

The only people shouting from the rooftops are those that like laboured passing and a snail pace game..

You love getting personal when folks disagree with your opinion Chris and it's always about you and what you want.

Ea dropping the ball is a statement of opinion..they just can't capture the essence of match flow or true match momentum...

Disclaimer

*****this is my opinion*****

Last edited:

Everything's opinion Chris what resonates as fact is the off the ball movement is in slow mo in the Fifa demo
I stopped reading at this point. Again, that's not a fact is it. That's an opinion. This is where you're getting confused.

I don't like Metal Gear Solid V. Imagine how much of a moron I'd look if I went into that thread and said "yeah, Kojima dropped a ball with this one".

No he didn't. He (well, Konami) made a game I didn't like, but clearly I'm in the minority.

You also love putting words into people mouths Chris Davies..I never called you a troll nor did I take the delusional personnel line!..think about it(it's not what you say but how you say it)..

It wouldn't bother me as I would take your comments as a matter of opinion..chill brother.

You also love putting words into people mouths Chris Davies..I never called you a troll nor did I take the delusional personnel line!..think about it(it's not what you say but how you say it)..
Okay, I apologise for being offensive. That "dropped the ball" statement just riles me - constructive criticism is one thing, but confusing opinion with fact is one of the most frustrating things on the internet (and yes, I'm not "chill").

I'm not defensive of the game at all - in-fact all I've really said in this thread is that I'm doubting career mode will have longevity because of the lack of individuality. So let's get that right. But at no point have I said that's it, game over, EA have ruined the game. FIFA shades it for me (thus far) but again, I'm not saying Konami have dropped a ball either, they obviously haven't.

Both have good points and bad points and it's clear to me that they're both good games. It's people who TOTALLY write off one or the other who are absolutely confirming themselves as fanboys, and add nothing to the debate but instead shout from a soapbox that their game is best and the other one is "factually" worse. (In my opinion...)

Last edited:

Chris Davies

Being ea has nothing to do with it as Ive had hours of enjoyment from Fifa from 11 and have loudly talked upped its merits against pes..

For me and I stress me,there seems to be some glowing oversites that are quite obvious and still the passing feels off..early days but I normally buy both..

I just personally feel pes gets the basics right and what ea have produced this year still feels fundamentally like the same game just slowed down with minimal tweaks...it's still repetive and doesn't make my endorphins sing and go wild like pes...that's what great games do.

I just personally feel pes gets the basics right and what ea have produced this year still feels fundamentally like the same game just slowed down with minimal tweaks...it's still repetive and doesn't make my endorphins sing and go wild like pes...that's what great games do.
That I can understand, I can see why you'd feel like that (and in-fact, I've already said in this thread that I can understand why some might not find the game exciting, or even fun).

I think there's two types of football gamers (to generalise) - the guys who would rather every match was fun and had a "spark", and the guys who would sacrifice that for ten 0-0s that were so slow they were "sludgy" if it felt harder to get up and down the pitch and gave the feeling (or possibly the illusion) that it required more thought and planning.

I'm in that latter camp, although I'm willing to bet as soon as I can try it online, it turns back into FIFA 15 (although maybe some people will enjoy that - no slow-mo present). I won't, and I hope that's not what happens, but who knows.

I have played both demo’s and definately prefer Fifa.
Gives me more joy, scoring a goal feels so much better.
This sometimes leaves me with a strange feeling, as – for me – it was always the other way round.

I immensely enjoyed pes for year, starting from the very first edition.
Highlight for me was Pes5 and Pes6.
After that the series went – again, for me – downhill.
Animations were very poor, general gameplay also very poor.

During those days I just continued to play PES6.
Reason for that : I patched the hell out of that thing (on pc).
Stadiumserver, kitserver. I even had the patch switcher so that I could play different patches, such as the evo patch, and classic team patches.
It was amazing, every team had correct kits, their own stadium. And the sound files made it very very realistic.

First Fifa game for me after many years was 14 on the PS3. I had fun with it.
Then continued on to 14 on the ps4. To me again a great game.

I did realize one thing : it is the lack of immersion that is killing it for me regarding Pes.
Since the downfall of the series they have found their way back, I can see that.
But I am 46, have a wife and 2 kids and no time anymore for patching.

To me, Fifa is more complete. Of course, gameplay is important but I do not find Fifa lacking there at all. And playing pes with fake names, fake stadiums and lot’s of other stuff missing is a big killer for me. Call me shallow, I don’t mind.
I want immersion and Fifa gives it to me.

As many people say there is room for improvement, but same goes for pes.
Gameplay in Fifa 16 demo is fine with me, I really like the game.
Pes is just not doing it for me anymore.
It feels sluggish, goals don’t make me cheer anymore.

Maybe not the best arguments in the world, but just my 2 cents.

Theres no wrong answer. Everything says I should love PES16 but for some reason at the moment prefer Fifa16.

It's all about personal taste at the end of the day.

Some will prefer PES, some will prefer FIFA, some will enjoy both and buy both games.

Nothing wrong with a debate on the matter though.

OK I agree with pretty much everything TTB says regarding FIFA2016 and PES2016 demos.. take a look for yourself at his comparison

https://youtu.be/9-NIWHwFxLw

he is a PES guy at heart like most of here but I think he does a very good and fair comparison and the things he says about both are all spot on..

I can't stress enough what he says about full manual is the way to play PES this year.. he is spot on. it's the ONLY way to play it imo

if I can.. I will still upload 2 videos of myself playing both games full manual professional settings and -1 game speed and slow tonight or this weekend to this thread

Back
Top Bottom