Fifa Commentary patch - group effort?

I'd take a shot in the dark and suggest that IF completed then whatever has been happening across the years regarding commentary patches both stand alone and mega patches containing commentary will apply here also.

I just hope that this patch has the distinction of making history somewhat by being the first one ever to include authentic Premiership commentary (Martin Tyler and Andy Gray) and the first one to rip commentary straight from the next gen Fifa's lol.

It would be cool (in my humble opinion) to have a prefix like the one with Richard Keys in one of the other commentary patches where he takes a moment to introduce the commentators and mention sky sports lol. Imagine that and then Martin Tyler taking over for the intro formalities with Andy Gray provided summary....yeah sounds like a work of art to me! :)

But thats pretty hard to do. We'll need to find a generic commentary so that Martin doesn't mention any of the team's names since PES doesn't have team names commentated.

This sounds great. I'm tired of hearing the same 5 lines every match. The commentary in PES doesn't seem to be a priority in any of their games (at least those that I've played).

But thats pretty hard to do. We'll need to find a generic commentary so that Martin doesn't mention any of the team's names since PES doesn't have team names commentated.

Well I have a commentary patch for Winning Eleven 9 american version which was basically the same as what was done for PES 5 and them patches had club call names....it was nothing major just at the start of the half it would say for example "kicking off from left to right is Chelsea and going from right to left is Arsenal"....something so little makes a big difference, same with the Richard Keys mini intro in the PES 6 patches....I say why not combine all this with authentic next gen commentary for this PES..... anyway im 99.9% sure that PES 5/WE9 didn't have any club call names by default so that proves it CAN be done.

Besides if you're going to do a patch especially one this big and effective then why not take the time to do what you can to do it right and make it the best it can possibly be ?

Another thing is I wonder if it's at all possible to replace Pes crowd noise completely with Fifa's crowd noise in it's entirety ? Since I'm not too big a fan of alot of the chantpacks floating around since the recording and composition of alot of chants aren't very good and hearing them over again they get annoying quickly. Also is it possible to replace Be a Legend with Fifa's Be a Pro lol. On the field BAP is so much more intelligent as you have user input that works lol.

Last edited:
hmm, you've got a point. But I think we should start with something simple first to see how it would look. Lets try replacing Lawrenson with A.Gray.
It'll give a much clearer picture of how things pan out.

Hey, tommohawk, could you possibly upload that WE9 FIFA comms. patch? I have recently installed WE9 and would like to try it out :)

I hope this dat to wave converter works. I have a feeling that the xbox360 big files are encoded differently, as all of the big readers that I had did not recognize them. So nobody get your hopes up! Once I get this converter I will give it a go.
Remember that dat files are usually video files or DAT audio tapes, and they are only audio files in this case because that's what extension EA decided to use, they are probably encrypter, as there are 3 separate files for each sound.

E.G.
speech_dat.big
bADVANTAGE_CROSS.dat
speech_hdr.big
bADVANTAGE_CROSS.hdr
speech_sth.big
bADVANTAGE_CROSS.sth

each of the sound files have another two files, I dont know much about programming but I'm sure they point to something inside the dat file :(

I guess the dat file is the actual sound file, the hdr file is most likely the header (which is why I cannot decode it with the program I used for the PC files, because it cannot find the header inside the dat file)

Here are all 3 files: http://www.zshare.net/download/50813616221d9db5/

P.S.

If you mean this converter: http://www.008soft.com/dat-to-wav.htm

It doesn't work as it is for dat VIDEO :(

Last edited:
That's the one mate....il have to try this for myself now see if I have any success in starting it off (I'm not doing any patching but I wanna see if I can get to a useable state lol) have you tried simply renaming the file extensions ?

What audio/video editing software do you have ? Also what is the big difference between PC Fifa and Xbox 360 Fifa when ripping commentary are they not both .big and .dat files ?

@ Houldey I could upload it but if I remember correctly this is kronos (i think) patch and i just googled it for winning eleven 9 and got it from megaupload i think since fakefront never has current downloads lol. Just google kronos winning eleven 9 commentary patch and keep an eye out for megaupload link I got lucky but found it easy enough....

Last edited:
Maybe someone has access to the Playstation 3 version of FIFA 09? If they do we could try converting the speech files from the PS3, it may be easier.

I think the difference is that the xbox360 has those three files for each sound, whereas PC only has one.

I'd have thought the PS3 version would be exactly the same as the xbox version since they both next gen......i can possibly check but just seems like a waste of time since we are probably better off attacking what we have and trying to get the 360 files workable. We got so far so quick so we should carry on...besides PS3 discs are blu ray so im not sure they will load or mount either. We probably better off trying to get in touch with nack22 to see if he has any input....doesn't look good though because even he gave up last year only reason he gave as to not doing the xbox commentary was because he said he didnt have access to the game and had already started with the pc one....I bet there is a way around it we just have our first stumbling block....keep at it I'm sure we will have a break through soon enough....

Last edited:
Im a happy man now ive found this thread as i was actually trying to attempt this myself.I was using afs explorer to look for the commentary but could only find the music and chants.Where exactly is the commentary located?I am also looking to change the ball noise and the crowd cheer when you score.I would be more than happy to contribute in any way i can!

Fantasic that y'all are doing this! Fifa09's gameplay isn't as good as PES2009, but their commentary is better..

Thanks for the info.Im well up for doing a part in this.I have both pes and fifa 09.Just need someone to deligate me the file numbers to convert and i will make a start asap.I think we just need to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the info.Im well up for doing a part in this.I have both pes and fifa 09.Just need someone to deligate me the file numbers to convert and i will make a start asap.I think we just need to get the ball rolling.

What we need to do now is map every single commentary sound. Some of it has been done already (up to 3400 or so), I am continuing on from there, so maybe you want to start at 6000 or so? Once we have mapped all the commentary it will be so much easier to replace the commentary. Converting the FIFA 09 (PC) Commentary takes 5 mins, and most of the fifa files have descriptions already (except for the call names).
There was a notion that we would use xbox360 commentary, but unless someone finds a way to decode the dat files, I don't think it will be possible, as the header is a seperate file, whereas with the PC comm. the header is INSIDE the dat file and therefore it can be decoded.

Ok b8hoven if you dont mind give me a specific number from start to finish so it doesnt get duplicated and i will start.Im a slow typer by the way appologies for this but will do my best.Will keep you up to date though.Anyone have any luck finding the crowd cheer sound when you score yet as i think it needs changing.Also have you tried fifa master 09 for those xbox 360 files?

Ok, the instructions inside are a little vague.

1. unrar the archive

2. locate the FIFA 09\data\audio\data_xxx.big, xxx being that language you use.

3. Open and extract all the dat files from data_xxx.big using the BigGUI program included in the archive. Extract to a separate directory e.g. commentary

4. Copy the all the files from the AUDIO MODS directory from the dat_conveter.rar into the SAME directory in which you extracted the dat files to. COPY THE FILES DIRECTLY INTO THE DIRECTORY NOT INTO ANOTHER SUB-DIRECTORY

5. Go to start button, then run. Type cmd

6. Navigate to the directory where all the dat files are, MAKE SURE SX.EXE is in this directory!

7. Type in the command sx -wave -.wav xxxx.dat (xxxx being the dat file you want to convert)

OR

7. Type in the command sx -wave -.wav *.dat I can't remember whether is recognises wildcards, but I'm pretty sure it does.

DONE!

Hope this helps

Here i only did 40 last night to make a start.I got back this evening knackered and it was the last thing i felt like doing but got it up to 100.Sorry for slow progress but i have a baby girl to look after.I do have a few windows of spare time comming up so expect an increase in speed.I must say im quite surprised at the amount of variations of the same comment as when i play pes he seems to repeat the same commentary over and over.Some of the things ive heard ive never come across when playing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom