Fifa Commentary patch - group effort?

Houldey

League 1
11 July 2006
Hey,

I'm not sure if enough people like this game/care about commentary, but if 20 to 40 of us shared the task of mapping FIFA comm. sound bytes to PES comm. sound bytes, then I don't see why it would take a long time. I could be wrong, and probably some sound bytes would need editing (shortening etc.), but still.

I see the first task as going through the PES comm. .adx files and writing a short phrase describing what the commentators are saying. Do the same for FIFA, and then begin to match. So, if we split the PES comm. into 20 - 40 pieces, we'd be doing about 200 files each (i'm guessing).

Anyway, i'm just testing the water here. If people are interested, let me know in this thread and i'll add your name to the list at the end of this post. If after a few days there are 3 names, then we can just forget it and move on with our lives. If there are 4000, then we each transcribe our one sound byte and start the next stage :)

List:

Houldey

This sounds a like a great project. I think someone had already started on this somewhere..I shall see if I can find the forum and post a link back here.

If possible, lets take FIFA 08 and 09's Martin Tyler. But is there a way to extract it and convert it into a readable audio format?

I'm in btw, its about time we did something about the commentary.

I suggest we contact NACK22 as he did a FIFA Commentary Patch for PES6, and he would know all about this. I have a few .BIG extractors, all the sound files inside are in dat format. So we need to be able to convert the dat files to some kind of audio.

Too bad the PC version of FIFA uses the same ol commentary. It would be a lot easier if it was the same as the next-gen console versions. :(

Hi, yea, it's a pity we can't use the crappy PC version of FIFA. We could use the sounds that NACK used, from the PES6 patch, but obviously they're older. I think it's Motson and Gray.

Are you sure that while the gameplay of PC FIFA is diff., the commentary isn't the same as the console version? I'd be surprised if they recorded 2 sets of commentary.

Anyway, it seems some people are interested, though I'm not sure if it is enough to make the job easy enough.

PC version commentary is definitely previous gen, Tyldsley and Gray. I don't know about you but I'd kill to have Tyler and Gray aswell as fifa crowd chants and celebrations in the new PES that would own!

But on the subject of commentary patches I would think it's a massive (and tedious) undertaking by definition....but then most things worth doing usually take time.

I bet with some ingenuity it will be possible to rip the x360 fifa 09 commentary and convert it into workable audio files ready to be imported into the game...I've been thinking about testing it myself but haven't done it thus far.

It will be interesting to see if pes 2009 commentary can even be done relatively easily as I'm sure last year nack22 basically gave up on pes 2008 after a short while due to it being too much hassle for a game that wasn't that good.

Last edited:
Yeah it will be a lot of work, but if we can get enough people to help out, it won't take that long. I was listening to a few of the commentary adx files and there are about 5 variations of each comment. It will take time though.

Ok I have found a converter which converts dat to wav, you have to use it thru cmd, but it is quite easy to make a batch file. I have FIFA 09 & 07 so there is no problems extracting and converting the audio. It will just take a lot of work.
Here's the converter & BIGGUI which you use to extract the dat files from the big file + an example of a dat & wav file conversion

http://rapidshare.com/files/159071492/dat_converter.rar

edit:

Ok didn't take a lot of work to convert the files, was easy as hell! Have converted all of the FIFA 09 Commentary to wave files and there are around 5375 files! Including player names, so we are still another 5000 files short of matching PES2009, unless we dont replace the second commentator. But, luckily the fifa file names describe what he is saying and what type of situation :)
Here is a list of the files:

http://rapidshare.com/files/159075520/filelist.txt

Too big to paste here!

And we wont have to work out who is saying what as gabe.paul.logan has already done a map of rs0e_e.img
here: http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50323&highlight=commentary

Last edited:
Wow, that's amazing. Did you rip the FIFA 09 PS3 commentary or the PC commentary? Also, if you look at gabe.paul.logan's map, there are only about 5000 commentary files (there is a masive gap between 3800 - 9000). I don't know what is in that gap, but I don't think we need more files. Also, that's amazing that FIFA files have descriptive names! Oh EA are so clever :)

How large is the FIFA 09 rip, altogether? 500MB? If you could upload it to Rapidshare (.RAR of all WAV files) then we can all start to see which files would best fit where etc.. We can each do a section (2 people do player names for instance).

Finally, WELL DONE b8hoven! You and gabe will be the officially-recorded patch starters :)

Last edited:
My question is are the remaining 5000 commenteries even spoken in PES or are they hidden/useless ? My second question is (hoping and praying fifa 09 x360 version was ripped) if fifa's commentaries have been totally ripped and there's still 5000 left (can't see pes having more commentary than fifa that is just criminal if so) then can't we just improvise and use previous fifa bits and pieces to fill in the gaps (assuming we are totally replacing mark lawrenson with andy gray....oh god please!)

So was it the Xbox360 version of Fifa 09 that was ripped ? I hope so because it's time for a change in commentaries I'm sick of Tyldsely I want Martin Tyler and Andy Gray in my PES lol.

But there's a bit of a problem with the CL mode, since Jon Champion does mention that "Today's match is the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE") we need to find a way to replace that without being off-topic in the commentary. Maybe we can use real commentary? :D

Unfortunately I only ripped the PC commentary, I don't have a 360 or ps3, but if I have access to the 360 version, I'm sure it'll be possible to rip the audio from it. I also have the commentary from FIFA 07, but I think it's fairly similar (or the same!)
I am uploading commentary now it's 360MB compressed 460 uncompressed.

There is no gap between 3384 & 9000, gabe has not mapped those sounds yet :( so pes has much more commentary files. Will have to check the 360 version.

I am mapping the rs0e_e.img from 3384 now, so if someone else wants to start from 6000 or something it will be easier, once we have mapped the rest, that's the hard part done (well one of the hard parts!)

Last edited:
Before you start patching properly will you do the game with the 360 commentary if I could get you the dat files of that game ?

Let me know.

In previous versions there were often 2 or 3 different versions of commentary for each player, a normal voice and then more excited pronunciations for goal attempts etc

this would be great!
think about the logic of how the comments are made in pes and in fifa. in fifa, the commentary is more smart. in pes they hardly keep up with play.

Great, I'll do whatever I have to do to have authentic premiership commentary in the latest PES as I'm sick of Clive Tyldsley lol.

I'll get back to you and let you know how I get on...if you want to PM me the next part you can but how shall I get in contact with you about the dat files and how should I get them to you ?

Let me know the best COA.

In previous versions there were often 2 or 3 different versions of commentary for each player, a normal voice and then more excited pronunciations for goal attempts etc

In PES there's only 2 if im not mistaken. During normal commentary and the other is the excited name pronounced.
which reminds me of the Japanese commentary on names which was top notch.

At least lets try replacing Mark Lawrenson first.

May i say cracking idea but to make things faster your gonna need a lot of you logging pes sound files as well for the matchup. p.s. i would be willing to help out on that side of it:))

Last edited:
Just to be clear I wouldn't want to commit to anything patch wise since I couldn't guarantee to see my commitment through....however if need be I will supply the dat files from the Xbox360 version of Fifa 08/09 if needed as I have handy access to backups of both games so it's easier for me to attain these files for others to edit.

Have hit a problem, I have the xbox360 big files, but every big file reader I have does not read them :( If someone could find one that will work with the xbox360 bigs it would be a great help.

Never mind, I found one :)

Now I am having trouble converting the dat files into wave :( can someone find a dat converter but I dont think it will be possible :(

Looks like we'll be using the pc sound files

Last edited:
Now I am having trouble converting the dat files into wave :( can someone find a dat converter but I dont think it will be possible :(

Looks like we'll be using the pc sound files

I won't let that happen! I think I can help you out....I think I have found the software you are after....I googled .dat to wave converter and found it...I could PM you a direct link or I can try it myself but it doesn't make sense for 2 ppl to do patches independatly and besides I can't commit to anything....but I can help out like this...so do you want a direct link ?

Feel free to PM me or try yourself but let me know.

Last edited:
this would be cool , Once ready this will be made a patch right ? it could be merged with other patches etc ? like tommsen chant patch or the super patch etc ?

Back
Top Bottom