FIFA (All Versions) Career Mode Stories

I’m on fire now, playing lovely football and defending well. I’m not finding it easy but I’m dominating games more often than not.

Just beat Brentford away 3-1. Then...Leicester in the FA Cup fourth round. Thriller of a game which ends 2-2. I will have to play a replay at the King Power Stadium.

In the Jan window I sold a lot of my players who are over 30 and have brought in some young talent. Max Aarons at right back is one signing from Norwich City. He’s 18, absolutely rapid and has had to play all the games at RB because Alan Hutton the ‘Scottish Cafu’ is injured and out for 8 weeks.

My other signing is a young Portuguese winger Camacho. He’s scored a few goals in the FA Cup for me.

I’m 5 points clear top of the league now. Whisper it...Villa are going up (?).

I’ll need to bring in players if I do get there because a lot of my ‘stars’ are on loan. Tuanzabe the CB is on loan from Man Utd. He’s been important at the back for me. And Tammy Abraham has scored 19 of my goals in the league. He’s the EFL Championship top goal scorer - he’s on loan from Chelsea though so I will have to try and replace his goals next season.

I’ll need to bring in players if I do get there because a lot of my ‘stars’ are on loan. Tuanzabe the CB is on loan from Man Utd. He’s been important at the back for me. And Tammy Abraham has scored 19 of my goals in the league. He’s the EFL Championship top goal scorer - he’s on loan from Chelsea though so I will have to try and replace his goals next season.
Jesus I completely forgot about it!
Thank you so much for this post, pal!
That fucked me up so bad last year!
Got promoted, had a nice squad and thought ill give it a good bash in Premier League.
New season, day 1 and Boom - half of my squad, all the best players are gone! They were all on loan and I didnt realise!
I need to check the squad and see what players might be leaving soon. Schoolboy error, but jesus, I thought ill get some email or something. I never checked!

Now, for those who played more than a season - is there some crazy shit this year, when sometimes new season starts and you have 3 subs only, or some players disapearing?

Now, for those who played more than a season - is there some crazy shit this year, when sometimes new season starts and you have 3 subs only, or some players disapearing?

Nope,not for me.
I had 6-8 players in on loan,my squad isn't the deepest right now...

Jesus I completely forgot about it!
Thank you so much for this post, pal!
That fucked me up so bad last year!
Got promoted, had a nice squad and thought ill give it a good bash in Premier League.
New season, day 1 and Boom - half of my squad, all the best players are gone! They were all on loan and I didnt realise!
I need to check the squad and see what players might be leaving soon. Schoolboy error, but jesus, I thought ill get some email or something. I never checked!

I don’t know sorry mate haven’t got to season 2 before in this Fifa :)

I don’t know sorry mate haven’t got to season 2 before in this Fifa :)
Yeah, last year was full of some crazy glitches. Not even mentioning half of my team gone, as it was my fault for not checking, but I came back and could only pick 3 subs for the matches. Rest of the team was all in reserves. And I read that many people had same issue. Thats when I ended my adventure with Fifa18.
Hopefully this year there will be no surprises.

Yeah, last year was full of some crazy glitches. Not even mentioning half of my team gone, as it was my fault for not checking, but I came back and could only pick 3 subs for the matches. Rest of the team was all in reserves. And I read that many people had same issue. Thats when I ended my adventure with Fifa18.
Hopefully this year there will be no surprises.

This happens to me too, in FIFA 2017 CM in my preseason tournament I have only 3 subs and the rest players are reserves for a reason, would like to know if it is a bug or i am dong something wrong (player eligability maybe, or because i mix and match the league i am playing with Panathinaikos).

Also i would like to know, if the last year problem, where you inherited former manager's Job Security points is gone, you know the one where you were hired from a club that fired their manager and you kept going from his 30% or lower Job Security.?

Finally in 2017 again, for some reason i can assign my team captains from team roles screen in formation, but inside the match i cannot change the team captain if i make subs etc.

I witnessed some reply to the Official PES account a few days ago, they were saying stop posting news about players faces and give us a better Master League or something similar to that.

They were drowned out by crazy PES kids moaning that Neymar’s face is still wrong.

The series is done. Stick a fork in it, PES isn’t going to be great again. Ever.

I witnessed some reply to the Official PES account a few days ago, they were saying stop posting news about players faces and give us a better Master League or something similar to that.

They were drowned out by crazy PES kids moaning that Neymar’s face is still wrong.

The series is done. Stick a fork in it, PES isn’t going to be great again. Ever.
Just hope that EA will take the next step then.
I'm enjoying this game,and we shouldn't really compare it with Pes just because it's a football game ,it's deeper than that franchise.

We should compare to 2k19/NHL 19/F12018
And comparing fifa to those,it's like comparing this to Pes.
EA needs to step up,and people need to stop having their heads in the sand.

This career mode (once again not comparing to Pes) is shallow as hell Vs the benchmariks in the industry.

I can go in to a bunch of different comparisons Vs the big games,but if you've played any of them you'll know exactly what I mean
But first of all,fix the fucking fouls, seriously,we've had 3 straight games with a foul count that is ridiculous.
If people want to pretend that this game is great,just because they compare it to Pes ,then they're really off and pretty much part of the yay sayers.
Pes is dead as an offline game.
This as a football game/offline career mode is far from being good enough.
Don't get me wrong,I enjoy it,but I also criticise it.
EA needs to step up!
And we need to not swallow everything they dish out!

Long rant,not Vs you buddy,but Vs EA,and people comparing it to a dead series,needs to compare it tw the series I've mentioned!

We need to criticise and get our opinion out to Devs and Pr people in and around this game.
I think they're getting away with things way to easy,just because we enjoy playing it.
It needs to be better period!

Last edited:
My worst fears are becoming true :(

This is getting very easy now. Every player is on ‘upwards’ arrows which means every player rarely makes any mistake. That isn’t the issue though. The CPU just doesn’t put me under pressure for long periods. It has the odd pot shot in here which occasionally flies in but I’m cruising. Haven’t lost a match in like 15 now. I knocked Liverpool, Leicester and Spurs out of the FA Cup too. Into the semi finals of the FA Cup with Aston Villa, without really trying, using their second string players. That’s not realistic.

What slider will make the CPU more aggressive? Or will things get a lot harder when I’m in the Premier League?

I love the gameplay but come on CPU, give me a challenge!

My worst fears are becoming true :(

This is getting very easy now. Every player is on ‘upwards’ arrows which means every player rarely makes any mistake. That isn’t the issue though. The CPU just doesn’t put me under pressure for long periods. It has the odd pot shot in here which occasionally flies in but I’m cruising. Haven’t lost a match in like 15 now. I knocked Liverpool, Leicester and Spurs out of the FA Cup too. Into the semi finals of the FA Cup with Aston Villa, without really trying, using their second string players. That’s not realistic.

What slider will make the CPU more aggressive? Or will things get a lot harder when I’m in the Premier League?

I love the gameplay but come on CPU, give me a challenge!

Sorry to hear that. Maybe up the CPU acceleration and top speed by 1 or decrease yours by 1.

I just eliminated Deportivo in Copa de Espana. But jesus, i should be ashamed of myself. They were all over me like a rash..
I had 4 shots in total, one jammy goal and had to go ultra defensive from 55th minute.
But hey, I eliminated Deportivo.. :LOL:

Here are the goals from October. A bit of a mixed bag of results. I have changed the camera angle to Broadcast and I turned the commentary off in the end because it just irritates me. Alan Smith must have mentioned his old team Aston Villa in the last 5 matches without me even playing them.

Also check out the excellent dribble by the cpu at around 51 seconds. I know it was poor defending but I have never seen a cpu player dribble so much in one attacking move.

I messed with some sliders but the game is still super easy.

I’d actually kill for some PES style scripting now. At least I’d be ‘on edge’ and celebrate my goals when I score them.

As soon as your team hit form, you can’t lose in this. I’m even using semi for shooting now. All that does is keep the score down, so I’m winning 1-0 every game rather than 3-0.

It’s so damn weird. When your team hits form, the CPU decides it’s never seen a football before. Chelsea in the semi final of the FA Cup, I take the lead quickly. Then Hazard and gang don’t even bother trying to attack me, they just do this weird ‘keep possession thing without doing anything with it’ which is probably quite realistic as Sarri’s Chelsea play lots of pointless sideways football.

But I want a challenge. Game ends 3-1 to me and I’m into the FA Cup final v Arsenal. On Ultimate. With sliders, semi shooting, using my second string players (because I rest Tammy Abraham etc for the league where, by the way, we’re now 10 points clear and I’m probably going to hit well over 100 points).

This game is broke. I remember reading something in here a while ago about the form effecting things but I thought it couldn’t be that drastic but it really is.

The gameplay on Slow is brilliant. All of the little animations and touches, the vast array of goals you can score. It looks amazing at times.

But it’s just so damn easy. There’s no point in playing it because I simply don’t lose a game now.

When the season started, the CPU really tested me in pre-season. And then the first 5 or 6 league games were great. The CPU would attack me from all angles.

I win a few matches, get the form arrows, and then every single CPU team, from Chelsea to Rotherham, turn into Accrington Stanley.

Such a shame. I’ve now resorted to playing online multiplayer for the challenge - it’s too fast and manic but I’m losing matches and it feels great.

Single player is over, EA and Konami just don’t take it seriously anymore.

:(

I messed with some sliders but the game is still super easy.

I’d actually kill for some PES style scripting now. At least I’d be ‘on edge’ and celebrate my goals when I score them.

As soon as your team hit form, you can’t lose in this. I’m even using semi for shooting now. All that does is keep the score down, so I’m winning 1-0 every game rather than 3-0.

It’s so damn weird. When your team hits form, the CPU decides it’s never seen a football before. Chelsea in the semi final of the FA Cup, I take the lead quickly. Then Hazard and gang don’t even bother trying to attack me, they just do this weird ‘keep possession thing without doing anything with it’ which is probably quite realistic as Sarri’s Chelsea play lots of pointless sideways football.

But I want a challenge. Game ends 3-1 to me and I’m into the FA Cup final v Arsenal. On Ultimate. With sliders, semi shooting, using my second string players (because I rest Tammy Abraham etc for the league where, by the way, we’re now 10 points clear and I’m probably going to hit well over 100 points).

This game is broke. I remember reading something in here a while ago about the form effecting things but I thought it couldn’t be that drastic but it really is.

The gameplay on Slow is brilliant. All of the little animations and touches, the vast array of goals you can score. It looks amazing at times.

But it’s just so damn easy. There’s no point in playing it because I simply don’t lose a game now.

When the season started, the CPU really tested me in pre-season. And then the first 5 or 6 league games were great. The CPU would attack me from all angles.

I win a few matches, get the form arrows, and then every single CPU team, from Chelsea to Rotherham, turn into Accrington Stanley.

Such a shame. I’ve now resorted to playing online multiplayer for the challenge - it’s too fast and manic but I’m losing matches and it feels great.

Single player is over, EA and Konami just don’t take it seriously anymore.

:(

That is a shame :(

Have you tried different camera settings? Maybe Broadcast zoomed in with no height. It can make it more difficult. Or maybe play in Tournament mode.

That is a shame :(

Have you tried different camera settings? Maybe Broadcast zoomed in with no height. It can make it more difficult. Or maybe play in Tournament mode.
I absolutely suck on broadcast camera so you know what, I’m gonna play on that. Good tip my man. Game looks incredible in that camera angle too.

I’ll start a new save though as I’m flying high on my old one and it’s unrealistic.

I absolutely suck on broadcast camera so you know what, I’m gonna play on that. Good tip my man. Game looks incredible in that camera angle too.

I’ll start a new save though as I’m flying high on my old one and it’s unrealistic.

Yeh I am rubbish on that angle too but it feels rewarding when you score and do good through balls or cross field passes.

I’m wondering though if you should give it a go first on your old save to see if it is harder for you. Otherwise you may think it is harder on the new save when really it is your ‘down arrow’ team that is making it harder, if that makes sense.

It’s a shame that we have to try all these different things to get the game to our liking but I suppose it is good that the options are there. It would be much better if you could turn off the form arrow in CM. I am yet to experience that because I am so bad at the game but I am guessing it will happen one day. I had a striker that got 2 goals in one match and his arrow went straight up but then he went on a goal drought for about 5 games and it pointed down.

I was shocked :P today in my preseason cup, i scored the winning goal for 4-3 in stoppage time and because a wierd bounce and roll between GK the goal line and the goal post, the replay after the celebration was using goal line technology, the same with the TV broadcast blue wall 3D graphic .Dont know if it is a new feature this year, or it existed before, but it was a very nice detail that added immersion. Dont even know if it purely cosmetic or the ref could cancel my goal if the replay proved that ball did not pass the line and if the scoreboard would change again to 3-3.
I have read your posts that the CM mode is flat for years, but when you are coming from the other game, all these details look astonishing. For sure gameplay comes always first, but these details put depth in a mode and make it look more alive.

I have read your posts that the CM mode is flat for years, but when you are coming from the other game, all these details look astonishing. For sure gameplay comes always first, but these details put depth in a mode and make it look more alive
:LOL:
This is so true!
I get FIFA players frustration, its by all means not perfect and it should evolve, not stay the same year by year.
But if ML on Pes was as "shallow" as CM on Fifa - with Pre Season tournament of your choosing, detailed injuries, youth academy, requests from players, not to mention the presentation - Id be fucking exstatic! :LOL:

I was shocked :P today in my preseason cup, i scored the winning goal for 4-3 in stoppage time and because a wierd bounce and roll between GK the goal line and the goal post, the replay after the celebration was using goal line technology, the same with the TV broadcast blue wall 3D graphic .Dont know if it is a new feature this year, or it existed before, but it was a very nice detail that added immersion. Dont even know if it purely cosmetic or the ref could cancel my goal if the replay proved that ball did not pass the line and if the scoreboard would change again to 3-3.
I have read your posts that the CM mode is flat for years, but when you are coming from the other game, all these details look astonishing. For sure gameplay comes always first, but these details put depth in a mode and make it look more alive.

Hey mate, no goal technology is in Fifa 16 too, can't remember if it was introduced in some other previous Fifas tho. Purely cosmetic, but great touch anyway. As you said, this is stuff that helps immersion.

By the way YES, it's mind blowing to me how people still compare ML depth with Fifa's career. For how stale it can be, career it's still on another whole level.

To answer your question, @slamsoze , they did not bring it as far as goals being cancelled.

You will see goal line technology if the goal was close to the line, or if there was no goal, but it was close.

Unfortunately ref decisions are final and always correct. So its pure cosmetics, but a very nice touch indeed.

I personally absolutely love the way match never pauses. If you dont speed it up with X, you see ball boys passing the ball, teams getting ready for set pieces, players placing balls on the ground. In the meantime you get to see stats, replays, transfer rumours.. That natural, constant flow is something that always charms me in FIFA.
PES feels so artificial with their black stop/start mechanisms.

@Madmac79 you are right, I forgot to mention I was playing fifa 19 :D .But In 17 where I ran many seasons, I don’t remember it either, so it follows the trends of the real life FIFA possibly.
@Emroth you are right, it is only cosmetic.It would be close to VAR in different situation.

From the little details that I miss, still cannot change captain in game if I make subs and in the negotiations I cannot see the wages of players that I go straight to sign without scout them first. This makes things too tough for me as I waste most of my budget to stupid moves, giving OVerPriced wages to players I want, and the other difficulty is that the wages system follows the UK system , it shows weekly wages, while here in Greece and in the other games we calculate wages in an annual manner. So I must try calculating x4 and x12 after to approx. the yearly salary.

Yeh I am rubbish on that angle too but it feels rewarding when you score and do good through balls or cross field passes.

I’m wondering though if you should give it a go first on your old save to see if it is harder for you. Otherwise you may think it is harder on the new save when really it is your ‘down arrow’ team that is making it harder, if that makes sense.

It’s a shame that we have to try all these different things to get the game to our liking but I suppose it is good that the options are there. It would be much better if you could turn off the form arrow in CM. I am yet to experience that because I am so bad at the game but I am guessing it will happen one day. I had a striker that got 2 goals in one match and his arrow went straight up but then he went on a goal drought for about 5 games and it pointed down.
Mate this is fantastic thanks again. The game is so much more difficult in Broadcast but also looks far more realistic.

Game looks beautiful at times. I will start a new career though as I want to experience this from the beginning.

I can’t score in this camera, it’s great :LOL:

Mate this is fantastic thanks again. The game is so much more difficult in Broadcast but also looks far more realistic.

Game looks beautiful at times. I will start a new career though as I want to experience this from the beginning.

I can’t score in this camera, it’s great :LOL:

Pleased to hear it :)

In my career with Wigan i am struggling so much. We have just moved into November and my first game was against Leeds who are 17th, we are 18th. We got hammered 0-4 at home. My shooting is so off at the moment. When I get a shot on target it is straight at the keeper otherwise it is way off. My defence is struggling after I changed to 3 CB’s and 2 SB’s. After the match you could hear the boos ringing out. We are still 18th but it could be a relegation battle already.

Does anybody know how to play counter attacking? Is there a tactic for it like in PES? Or is it a case of instructing my Strikers to stay up and not defend?

Does anybody know how to play counter attacking? Is there a tactic for it like in PES? Or is it a case of instructing my Strikers to stay up and not defend?
Would "Fast Build Up" not be the one?
Thats what I use anyway.. feels like counter attack.. :LOL:

What I really like is that you can set specific tactics to each mindset.
You can set separate formations and tactics to each of Ultra Defensive/Defensive/Normal/Attacking/Ultra attacking.
I personalised all of them to cover a lot of possibilities during the matches and I use them frequently.
If you havent set them - i recommend doing so.
Just do that in Career Mode menu, not Match Menu. I spent half an hour setting them up in match menu and didnt realise this is all just for this match and they all went back to default after. :LOL:

Would "Fast Build Up" not be the one?
Thats what I use anyway.. feels like counter attack.. :LOL:

What I really like is that you can set specific tactics to each mindset.
You can set separate formations and tactics to each of Ultra Defensive/Defensive/Normal/Attacking/Ultra attacking.
I personalised all of them to cover a lot of possibilities during the matches and I use them frequently.
If you havent set them - i recommend doing so.
Just do that in Career Mode menu, not Match Menu. I spent half an hour setting them up in match menu and didnt realise this is all just for this match and they all went back to default after. :LOL:

“Fast Build Up” sounds like it could be the right one. That’s probably the only one i have not tried in my terrible first season. Thanks. :)

I did set up all the tactics when i first started and i think they are really good but i have since changed my formation a couple of times and i’m too lazy to change them again.

Also you have to be careful because when you change your team formation in Career Mode menu and save it. When you come out of it sometimes your players are jumbled up. But when you go back in and save it again it is fine. That happened to me and i had a striker playing as DMF and visa-versa.

I’m still enjoying it even though my team are struggling and i am prepared for a relegation fight. What is good with FIFA is that you can get relegated further down than the Championship whereas PES only has or had 2 Divisions before. It adds that extra pressure.

I find balanced best for counter attacking. Fast build up is if you want to play Man City type football with your right and left backs pushed up high at all times. Very dangerous tactic against good sides but a great way to dominate matches.

Back
Top Bottom