FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

I've developed terrible insomnia and (unrelated) need to stop taking my phone to bed...

That's terrible, mate. You should see someone about that.
I myself go to sleep very very very late and wake up very very very early. It's a cycle I only seem to be able to stop whenever my girlfriend comes and stays for a few days, and the difference of how I react/behave along the day is huge.

Seems like anyone who’s played the new Fifa has said it’s still horribly consistent at scoring both neat post shots, and from outside the box.

Honesty, I get the shooting between Fifa 10 and.... I’m not sure exactly, 13 maybe? Was some of the best shooting in any football game ever made. Yeah they’ve had their own problems (constant outside the foot screamers for example), but now, it’s my least favourite thing about the game.

Seems like anyone who’s played the new Fifa has said it’s still horribly consistent at scoring both neat post shots, and from outside the box.

Honesty, I get the shooting between Fifa 10 and.... I’m not sure exactly, 13 maybe? Was some of the best shooting in any football game ever made. Yeah they’ve had their own problems (constant outside the foot screamers for example), but now, it’s my least favourite thing about the game.
Next time you will tell me there isn’t enough shoot variety, he?! ;)

That's not what I'm saying at all.
Both 18 and 19 scoring at the near post it so consistent its just ridiculous.
Or prior to that, Fifa 16 was outside the box finesse shots flew in literally every time.
Or before that, everyone would use inverted wingers with 'outside the foot' trait because they flew into the top corner EVERY TIME.
Can go back even further if you want but I'm beginning to forget which one was which, but chip shots were abused like hell with average strikers because you just had to tap it and it arched into the top corner perfectly.

I'm all for variety, but Fifa definitely has a problem where each year everyone just exploits the easiest way of scoring over and over again.

In the interest of fairness I'm not saying PES has never had that problem as well. Wasn't that long ago we had to face stupid 2.03m Lacina Traore up front every game cos headers were so good, but Fifa suffers from it badly.

I'm all for variety, but Fifa definitely has a problem where each year everyone just exploits the easiest way of scoring over and over again.

It's on purpose and one of the reasons why fut is generally garbage. There's a good number of people who want to score wondergoals at the press of a button, and I guess they are also good spenders. For offline against the AI it doesn't ruin the game for me, but passing can if it's not right. It's what you'll be doing 99% of the time, and if it's too assisted and too much like ping pong, that's it. I don't consider the game to be anything like football. I hate passing in the last two Fifa/Pes iterations with a passion :)

It's on purpose and one of the reasons why fut is generally garbage. There's a good number of people who want to score wondergoals at the press of a button, and I guess they are also good spenders. For offline against the AI it doesn't ruin the game for me, but passing can if it's not right. It's what you'll be doing 99% of the time, and if it's too assisted and too much like ping pong, that's it. I don't consider the game to be anything like football. I hate passing in the last two Fifa/Pes iterations with a passion :)

It's not on purpose, otherwise they wouldn't be specifically addressing it with FIFA20. Saying it's on purpose gives too much credit to the devs. It's bad design; that's it.

It's not on purpose, otherwise they wouldn't be specifically addressing it with FIFA20. Saying it's on purpose gives too much credit to the devs. It's bad design; that's it.

Well, I don't claim to be the holder of the absolute truth, perhaps I'm wrong but it's really hard to see how all the bicycle kicks and other wondergoals, happened by accident, escaped play testing, and then were hardly fixed all year. Especially when they've gone on record about the direction they were going for. It seems it's something that started with 18 and reached a new peak with fifa 19.

Matt Prior, the creative director:
"Volleys have been tuned so as to make them more achievable but not too easy, with the same being implemented in the game's skill moves. The idea is that any player can produce a jaw-dropping moment which will define a game, as opposed to having to settle for lustfully watching spectacular clips on Youtube"

"Last year, certain features were harder to do for the more casual users. We felt the big moments are what make football great, but they were limited to certain users who were super-advanced. So we just added more of an opportunity to do the kind of wondergoals you see on there"
source: https://www.balls.ie/gaming/fifa-18-366788

Sounds like they've achieved all that, but maybe took it too far, doesn't it? Now the fact that lots of people complained this year about all those dumb wondergoals that require no skill is another matter and it remains to be seen whether they will actually tone those down and to what extent.

Last edited:
Well, I don't claim to be the holder of the absolute truth, perhaps I'm wrong but it's really hard to see how all the bicycle kicks and other wondergoals, happened by accident, escaped play testing, and then were hardly fixed all year. Especially when they've gone on record about the direction they were going for. It seems it's something that started with 18 and reached a new peak with fifa 19.

Matt Prior, the creative director:
"Volleys have been tuned so as to make them more achievable but not too easy, with the same being implemented in the game's skill moves. The idea is that any player can produce a jaw-dropping moment which will define a game, as opposed to having to settle for lustfully watching spectacular clips on Youtube"

"Last year, certain features were harder to do for the more casual users. We felt the big moments are what make football great, but they were limited to certain users who were super-advanced. So we just added more of an opportunity to do the kind of wondergoals you see on there"
source: https://www.balls.ie/gaming/fifa-18-366788

Sounds like they've achieved all that, but maybe took it too far, doesn't it? Now the fact that lots of people complained this year about all those dumb wondergoals that require no skill is another matter and it remains to be seen whether they will actually tone those down and to what extent.

If you go back and read the pitch notes from this past year, you'll see that there's a few times they specifically addressed shooting, including volleys and overhead kicks. Neither are now like they were at release last year. So they definitely addressed them, even if shooting has remained a problem, and their tweaks to shooting throughout the year was not the behavior of devs satisfied with the way shooting was working.

In addition to that, two main points of focus for FIFA20 are ball physics and shooting, both meant to increase realism and they've specifically said to be increasing the difficulty of very hard and first time shots and volleys. Again, that totally contradicts the argument that the unrealistic shooting this year was entirely intentional.

Most of what you see in FIFA that's unrealistic and not true to football is not a design choice but just plain old bad design and coding. Don't give credit to EA when they don't deserve it.

You're one of the people I read with interest mfmaxpower, but I'm not sure I would agree on that, I think the gameplay is a frankensteinish mismatch of elements trying to appease different people. I think finishing/passing is way wayyyy casualised in the past two iterations. (In hindsight, this is probably how they came up with things like timed finishing, trying to reintroduce some "skill" element lacking elsewhere). I was following the pitch notes, sure they have to react to feedback, although in practice I think it was just dialing something back to 10, when it was originally turned up to 11. I also gave up on the game completely after 2-3 months so there's also that.

As an offline player i'm much more interested in passing and getting some midfield/build up play back, this is what will make it feel like football again on a fundamental level. Finishing exploits suck, and if they address them next year, that's great, but I feel like I can avoid them offline for the most part. Although fifa 19 was so bad they were creeping into my offline games as well. Hell, I've seen AI defenders passing the ball backwards, in their own box, using a bicycle kick, like it was a regular ground pass.

Last edited:
If FIFA 20 doesn't get *something* out there soon enough, I can really see EA taking some L's this year.
PES strategy is quite good this time around. If they can live up to the expectations in terms of gameplay when demo hits on July 30 and when word gets out that PES got a hold of the Manchester United, Juventus and Bayern Munich licenses with the quality of the Stadiums that only Konami produces..... lots of people will be trying PES this year.

If FIFA 20 doesn't get *something* out there soon enough, I can really see EA taking some L's this year.
PES strategy is quite good this time around. If they can live up to the expectations in terms of gameplay when demo hits on July 30 and when word gets out that PES got a hold of the Manchester United, Juventus and Bayern Munich licenses with the quality of the Stadiums that only Konami produces..... lots of people will be trying PES this year.
Well, in a couple of weeks, we should be getting more gameplay info...

screenshot_20190608-205034_youtube-jpg.16456

I really want big improuvement to carrier mode, and deep gameplay.
With some sliders, FIFA 19 could play very good, but some animations like headers, GK mouvements look weirds!!
I want a very good ball physics, more variety of shooting, inertia, and more battlefiled on air!
And please, deep carrier mode!!

It's the goalkeeper flailing animation. Didn't start to show until the last 3 patch updates. It's when EA seemed to tune the shot error in general. Lowering shot speed to give them time to react should help this, in addition to a lower Sprint value.

I'm quite happy with how FIFA 19 played with sliders. It took a bit of time, but for the most part it is a good game. Sure, they need to definitely pay attention to the ball physics, which it seems they are, and fine-tuning some strange animations that Frostbite tends to produce.

** Peeks in for FIFA 20 rumours **

** See's people talking about FIFA 19 and sliders **

Seriously though, take that stuff to the FIFA 19 thread no? Absoutely fed up with reading about sliders like they fix the game - they don't.

(Sorry that sounded aggressive, didn't mean to!)

** Peeks in for FIFA 20 rumours **

** See's people talking about FIFA 19 and sliders **

Seriously though, take that stuff to the FIFA 19 thread no? Absoutely fed up with reading about sliders like they fix the game - they don't.

(Sorry that sounded aggressive, didn't mean to!)

It actually gives insight to the Pitch Notes approach that they used with FIFA 19, and they also used to preview what they are addressing in FIFA 20.

Not sure what is negative about sliders. It's not about fixing the game at all, but it gives support to the base of FIFA's rating model and how adjusting certain values can be used as a balancer offline.

I think FIFA has played pretty true to ratings the last couple of years, so looking forward to seeing if that remains to be the case when 20 comes out.

Not feeling it this time. The change is very minimal to me.

There's no improvement in graphics, gameplay looks very similar.
Well, maybe after playing the demo I will decide whether to buy or not.

Having the same feeling with pes 20 as well. They are very similar to their previous games with no improvement in graphics either. So I'm not feeling motivated enough.

Also the death of modding on fifa games reduced the interest in those games.

Not feeling it this time. The change is very minimal to me.

Having the same feeling with pes 20 as well. They are very similar to their previous games with no improvement in graphics either. So I'm not feeling motivated enough.

You will not see an improvement in the graphics until the next generation of consoles are released.
And when they do release FIFA on the next gen systems there will be a 3 year wait till the PC gets the same version.

The games are pretty much fine visually at this point albeit with the odd lighting/Shader tweak. They're not going to look radically different until a couple of editions into Next Gen i would assume.

Same goes for the gameplay, I honestly don't understand how people are expecting any dramatic shake ups engine wise at this stage of the consoles lifecycle and with how annual football games are produced, We know we're paying for annual refinements by now. Both PES & FIFA have good foundations, So a new engine is out of the question. Improving those nuances on the pitch every are another matter though.

I'm here with you on that one. It's frustrating and discouraging to a talented modding community who create some amazing assests gameplay tweaks only for their work to be redundant the following year as it's not compatible with the games file structure.

Who says that?
I think he's refering to the notion of history teaching us that EA's PC versions have always been stripped back versions of the console counterpart.

You will not see an improvement in the graphics until the next generation of consoles are released.
And when they do release FIFA on the next gen systems there will be a 3 year wait till the PC gets the same version.

That didn't happen last time around with FrostBite.
We got the same game on PC from FIFA 17 until now.

I think he's refering to the notion of history teaching us that EA's PC versions have always been stripped back versions of the console counterpart.
As far as i remember this only happened with Fifa 14.
From 15 and after the game is always the same in consoles and PC.
Maybe when the next gen comes we'll have a similar case as with 14 for a year,but saying that we'll have to wait three years for it to be the same,i don't think that will be the case or based on what he's making that conclusion.
There's no need for that.PC with the right software can be even more powerful than what the next gen consoles gonna be.

The games are pretty much fine visually at this point albeit with the odd lighting/Shader tweak. They're not going to look radically different until a couple of editions into Next Gen i would assume.

Same goes for the gameplay, I honestly don't understand how people are expecting any dramatic shake ups engine wise at this stage of the consoles lifecycle and with how annual football games are produced, We know we're paying for annual refinements by now. Both PES & FIFA have good foundations, So a new engine is out of the question. Improving those nuances on the pitch every are another matter though.

I'm here with you on that one. It's frustrating and discouraging to a talented modding community who create some amazing assests gameplay tweaks only for their work to be redundant the following year as it's not compatible with the games file structure.

I mean yeah exactly. Base graphics is good in Fifa. Even looks better than PES on some aspects like cloth physics.

All they need to do now is to just improve some lighting, player proportions and improve the cloth physics even more and finally fix the LODs themselves.
But they can't do that. Actually they won't do that since it's easier to rehash the game.

Honestly they don't need a new engine for good graphics. Lighting is key, followed by proper animations and then physics.

Oh and I hope they won't release old gen version on PC again. I'm a simple man, I simply avoid buying old gen ports.

As for gameplay, yeah there's not much to improve other than fixing some AI stuffs I guess. Gives more reason for them to improve other aspects of the game like career mode, adding back the ability to slide tackle goal keepers in offline matches, etc.

That didn't happen last time around with FrostBite.
We got the same game on PC from FIFA 17 until now.

The jump to forstbite happened during ps4 gen at a time when PC ports already next gen. Frostbite was just an engine change in the middle of a generation.

If fifa 14 used frostbite on Ps4, I'm pretty sure EA would still not make the pc port of fifa 14 next gen.

The jump to forstbite happened during ps4 gen at a time when PC ports already next gen. Frostbite was just an engine change in the middle of a generation.

If fifa 14 used frostbite on Ps4, I'm pretty sure EA would still not make the pc port of fifa 14 next gen.

We'll see.
I'm fairly sure things will stay this way from now on.

I really hope they step up their game visually for Fifa 20,Stadiums in the last game wasn't good enough,both for generic and licensed stadiums.

Back
Top Bottom