FIFA 20 Discussion (Console Versions)

Is it me or has it gone back to the ball on a rubber band, sliding through grass days.....it looks very average.....football games seem to have hit a bit of a wall, but I suppose that is always the case as we edge towards a new gen of hardware.

Can’t stand the Volta stuff ( personally) but can see the appeal to a younger generation which is good for them.

What I can never get my head round is the budget distribution....you have glaring holes in the career mode, gameplay and online spam.....yet a chunk of money gets spent on a whole new mode.......they need to realise that the core game is always the priority but the targets of somehow reinventing itself will forever hold it back.

Maybe it's on a lower difficulty.I think when they make these ''trailers'' for both games,they don't put the highest cpu difficulty so they can score more easily for the footage.
About your team's AI defending,i don't think that it should be very effective otherwise there's no reward for being good in defence if any noob can just let the AI defend perfectly for him while he is controlling Messi..
You must be the one who controls the defender and if you're good at it then you should be rewarded.
It will be good if they find the right balance to it,so it won't be very effective and op when the cpu defends for you,but also not too passive and ineffective to the point where you have to control the defender otherwise you'll concede 100% a goal.

It's pretty much spelled out in the pitch notes and in the videos that they are going for manual defending only, so I doubt it's the difficulty. The AI doesn't have to defend perfectly, but there's a better balance to be found. If a pass is played straight at an opponent, it is a bad pass and should be blocked whether you control that player or not, otherwise it looks comical. That was the case in fifa18, and it also caused many other laughable situations, where you could do a simple stepover with the ball and the AI marking you would freeze.

Hope I'm wrong, but looks like they did nothing significant over player body models, anyway.. such a shame since it should be theoretically easier to intervene in that, and the game would need a huge overhaul in that sense, imho. The arm positioning and moving for example still looks very bad to me.

They didn't exclude Volta will have microtransactions. They said:

"they are not there at launch, then we will see".

EA being EA.

Also, they say they don't believe what they have in FUT is gambling, but just a fun way to keep people engaged with the game. If politics find those are illegals they will react.

Stopped reading after - "I only got one free kick".
Hey, I'm going to copy you and be all optimistic up in your grill here. :D

He was playing against someone who he says was a total FIFA newbie and probably didn't know the buttons. A lot of people at EA Play were there to play Star Wars and the other games.

But more importantly... All this talk of creating space and more 1v1s (although I don't like the sound of it, as @Matt10 has said on Twitter - it sounds way too "every game is going to have the same patterns now")... More 1v1s means more attacker-v-defender moments, and I think that means more opportunities for the defender to mess up and commit a foul.

But we'll see.

Also, they say they don't believe what they have in FUT is gambling, but just a fun way to keep people engaged with the game. If politics find those are illegals they will react.
Do you know what made me laugh about the interview? They say it's all harmless and not pay-to-win, and then Aaron McHardy fucks up and says this absolute peach of a quote...

AARON: I know when I go and play Ultimate Team every year, I have access to people that can give me FIFA Points, and I always deny them (laughs).

EUROGAMER: That's very honorable of you...

AARON: (laughs) No but I want to get the experience the way that it's meant to be, which is, not cheat and get FIFA Points and just buy all the best players.

I mean, damn right Aaron. You produce this shit and you've just said "using real money is cheating"...

Please retweet this, if you have Twitter. I'd like to get some people to take notice...

Last edited:
Matt Prior: GC was the working title.
AM: Grind currency - which obviously we're never gonna call it that! (laughs)
And how do you earn that, is it that purely through gameplay, can you buy that?
MP:
Yeah purely through gameplay.

I absolutely loved this bit. You can earn everything through gameplay, but you better pay up if you don't want to grind for years :)

But more importantly... All this talk of creating space and more 1v1s (although I don't like the sound of it, as @Matt10 has said on Twitter - it sounds way too "every game is going to have the same patterns now")... More 1v1s means more attacker-v-defender moments, and I think that means more opportunities for the defender to mess up and commit a foul.
We shall see.
There is another thing that gives me hope in all this 1on1 focus.
Im hoping this will reduce ping-pong fiesta that we are having last few years.
A lot of sliders, increasing First Touch Error, Pass Error - they were all aimed for players to stay on the ball for longer and get some football out of that.
So fingers crossed - slower pace, more time on the ball - it will all add up and it will result us having to do less slider adjustments to make everything work.

But... and here's big BUTT - this game has to have proper physicality and collisions. If its weightless and soft - no sliders will help us.

Football games have been quite shit for a few years now, sadly, and I'm not holding my breath this year either. It's becoming its own thing, and realism/simulation is just another buzzword thrown around, the masses don't really seem to care about it. Oh, well, glad I have other hobbies too. :P

Off-topic and yet not... :D

iSvYouI.jpg

Still looks like players can completely change direction in a nano-second. A movement that would break a player's leg in real life. Realism? My arse.

Is it just me or does each iteration of FIFA these past few years simply repackage gameplay and other "new features" that were previously introduced to the game years ago?
I swear the whole "we are going to make 180 degree passes harder" peddling, i have heard before from when Dave Rutter was at the helm circa FIFA 09 or 10.
Obviously if they actually work then these refinements will all be welcome, particularly defending which has been shite for years.

As for FIFA Street/Volta or whatever it is, i really hope that this is not the sum total of new ideas that EA will be introducing this year. Basically an admission that it has effectively run out of ideas if it is.

I am hoping that the fact EA has set aside a day to specifically make some Career Mode announcements will see some major improvements to the main mode that i play. Not holding my breathe but crossing my fingers.

@majuh I don't know what is more difficult to believe, The aliens or the presence of fouls and cards!

Also the end to end nature of that game isn't totally different of where we are now, So pathetic.

Will this year be the year we see three game suspensions for a straight card?
And not being tied to a slave contract in player career?
Fingers crossed lads ( I won't dare to jinx free kicks)

Will this year be the year we see three game suspensions for a straight card?

It's only a 3 game suspension in real life for a bad foul, not a last man type foul or handball on the line etc so if EA don't implement it properly it's better IMO they don't change it (just give us more fouls and more cards etc.).

It's only a 3 game suspension in real life for a bad foul, not a last man type foul or handball on the line etc so if EA don't implement it properly it's better IMO they don't change it (just give us more fouls and more cards etc.).
Quite sure it's a three game ban for a straight red card in the PL
Obviously more interested in the other thing you've pointed out, including very soft yellow cards from human Vs cpu

Its a 3 game ban for any straight red in the premier league regardless of type of foul. So last man gets sent off for a soft trip - 3 game ban - handball on the line that leads to a straight red - 3 game ban

Its a 3 game ban for any straight red in the premier league regardless of type of foul. So last man gets sent off for a soft trip - 3 game ban - handball on the line that leads to a straight red - 3 game ban

Since when? Unless that's a brand new rule I haven't seen you're both talking nonsense!

Hand ball on the line stopping a goal = 1 match ban.
Foul stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity = 1 match ban.

That's the way it's been for decades.

I've been scouring Twitter for reports from those who went to EA Play and played FIFA, and the consensus seems to be it's much slower, there really is a lot more space on the field, and apart from that it's very similar to 19.

What's scaring me is that I've seen lots of videos from websites that have sent someone to play it, and they all complain that it's "way too slow".

Here's a prime example (skip to the last minute): UNILAD at EA Play 2019

Please dear God EA don't listen to these clowns.

Hand ball on the line stopping a goal = 1 match ban.
Foul stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity = 1 match ban.
Goal.com backs you up, but it's surprisingly difficult to find this information on the FA or Premier League website!

Last edited:
My biggest FIFA gripe has always been the ball physics, so if they have improved this and made it more like PES I will be happy. Also in the EA play interview the EA chap said that more patient play will be required before scoring a goal and maybe this ties in with the slower pace of the game some are reporting. Mind you they have probably said this before in the previous years as well.

My biggest FIFA gripe has always been the ball physics, so if they have improved this and made it more like PES I will be happy. Also in the EA play interview the EA chap said that more patient play will be required before scoring a goal and maybe this ties in with the slower pace of the game some are reporting. Mind you they have probably said this before in the previous years as well.
Yeah, as others have said, there are some things they've said before - such as the "it'll be harder to spin 180-degrees and hit the perfect pass/shot" - and it turns out it's marginally improved and/or the FUT players complain because it's boring adhering to real-world physics. (Also, the free kicks are just going back to how they were 5+ years ago.)

I believe that it's slower now, I don't believe it'll be slower by release. Too many YouTubers and FUT players will be invited to pre-release events and tell them that it's too slow, too boring and that it's "only a game" so it "should be fun", i.e. played at 100mph.

Back
Top Bottom