FIFA 19 Demo Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well well well......

Broadcast camera is beautiful. Thats how its done Konami.
Played 2 games so far and here are my thoughts...
Love it. Yes its way too fast but full version will have a slower option.
Scored a goal with Matudi v Bayern and it got me out of my seat. Top right corner looks even more stunning in Broadcast camera.
Passing - I do prefer PESs passing but this aint too far off
Shooting and headers - bit over powered at the moment - sliders will sort that out.
Player models - PES have this one in the bag. Fifas are looking good but silly things like Costa not being updated for about 3 years in annoying.
Player indiviuality - I think PES just edge that but EA have worked at it.
Tactics- finally seem to be working
Stunning in 4k - Lighting at night is amazing. Love the PS4 Pro ads around the side in the CL.
AI - Agressive and attacking - no constant spamming and non-shooting here.

EA really do know how to present a game. The FIFA demo seems more of a final product that PES full version.
Out of the box Fifa ticks all the boxes.

Hello FIFA19 and goodbye to PES19.

Initial Impressions after 5 games (Playing on Legendary)

The bad:-
Way too fast.. I mean seriously.
Crossing is over powered, CPU can run onto the ball from anywhere
AI hasn't changed much from last year and just plays straight to attacker, but then TIKA-TAKA's to the goal.
Super Shielding from the CPU is back - Fifa 17 had this and my god it was annoying.
Two touch shooting or whatever it is called.. WHAT A LOAD OF OLD SHIT...

The good:-
The new tackling system is pretty good with now the balls feeling really 50/50
Tackling has improved and it now kind of ricochets of players, which is nice
CPU now plays misplaced passes which is nice feature, should make it a lot more fun in the lower leagues

Overall though feels better than FIFA 18, but does need some patching and balancing on certain issues.

Oh, one more thing I want to mention is that neither FIFA nor PES were designed to be played Broadcast type of camera in mind. In my eyes, both games feel so much worse when played with that type of camera. Yet both games seem to become a lot better with the other ones (in FIFA: Default/CO-OP/Classic/Tele and in PES: Dynamic Wide, Pitch Side, Wide).

Ok have played 5 games now and agree with what most of you say.

I have recently played a lot of FIFA 18 so compared to that it's definately slower.
But....still too fast. I worry that it will be too fast even on slow, with modified sliders but let's wait and see.
Does indeed depend on who you play against.
Played one game against Real Madrid and their tiki taka was almost impossible to follow.

I love that they pass the ball around a lot, and FIFA tries to recreate their real life way of playing, but it is just too damn fast.
Too bad cause when i'm on the ball the pace is slow, passing seems slower, general movement seems slower.
Maybe sliders will help.

Absolutely LOVE the 50/50 battles. They are really random but realistic.
Played 1 game with Tottenham, my good old friend Sanchez is an absolute beast and very hard to beat.

I see difference in play style from the different teams but as other have said would have liked to have seen some lesser teams as well.

At least it's 10 minute matches which give you a good feel of the game.

If my thoughts stay like this i'm definately buying it!

So far i can only play championsleague group stage, i suppose i need some wins before i can advance?

Oh, one more thing I want to mention is that neither FIFA nor PES were designed to be played Broadcast type of camera in mind. In my eyes, both games feel so much worse when played with that type of camera. Yet both games seem to become a lot better with the other ones (in FIFA: Default/CO-OP/Classic/Tele and in PES: Dynamic Wide, Pitch Side, Wide).
Very true... Cant play in broadcast very well for either. May look good but something about it just doesn't play right. My opinion anyway.

Sigh. Can't say that I'm liking this at all. After playing PES, FIFA just looks and feels kinda gross. The player models and their movement, the ball physics, the way players feel when controlling them... it's real tough going back to FIFA. If only PES wasn't such a hot mess.

I'm trying to compare this to my experience with the beta but having played so much PES lately, my recall of the beta is hazy. I feel like they might have toned down some of the defensive AI, but I'm really not sure. To me this feels like a rougher version than the beta but I think that maybe all my playtime with PES is fucking with my recall of the beta.

One thing that's still a problem is just how damn easy FIFA is now. Ultimate difficulty isn't included in the demo, but I'm crushing this on Legendary. So that's super disappointing.

I really enjoyed the beta and was very optimistic for the full release, so hopefully I'll readjust to FIFA, but at the moment I'm not feeling it. At all.

Sigh. Can't say that I'm liking this at all. After playing PES, FIFA just looks and feels kinda gross. The player models and their movement, the ball physics, the way players feel when controlling them... it's real tough going back to FIFA. If only PES wasn't such a hot mess.

I'm trying to compare this to my experience with the beta but having played so much PES lately, my recall of the beta is hazy. I feel like they might have toned down some of the defensive AI, but I'm really not sure. To me this feels like a rougher version than the beta but I think that maybe all my playtime with PES is fucking with my recall of the beta.

One thing that's still a problem is just how damn easy FIFA is now. Ultimate difficulty isn't included in the demo, but I'm crushing this on Legendary. So that's super disappointing.

I really enjoyed the beta and was very optimistic for the full release, so hopefully I'll readjust to FIFA, but at the moment I'm not feeling it. At all.

Trouble with Fifa demo is they wont let us change match speed. I only ever play on slow so normal is way too fast for me.

I was wondering if thats why the game felt super fast.
I love how it looks in broadcast but it does make the game a tad faster.
Ill try demo in Tele as I like that as well.

Somebody said that EA was sticking to its guns this year - that the gameplay was going to be slow. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

But, as somebody else said, the players do seem more intelligent. And I had a lot of fun with the tactics. So great to see proper tactics in the game. And the teams all did feel different. So, yay.

But the two things I hate are still there. One, the jerky animations where players can turn 180 degrees at the speed of light. And two, the driven pass. It's not as bad as last year but it's still there and you see the AI team putting four passes together faster than Lewis Hamilton in his car. Ping pong anyone?

Like, I imagine, a few people here I'll have another look when we get to change the game speed and sliders.

I think there's an improved game here, but it's hiding behind this demo's ridiculous game speed.

Last edited:
This is quicker than F1 2019 I mean come on who’s idea was it to put this speed in the game. You need a couple of bumps to keep up with it. Can’t play it like this after playing the beta. F**k FUT and the kiddie fiddling coins and packs.

First impression after 10-12 matches.

GOOD
- 50/50 battles
- CPU AI is better both offensively and defensively
- Some decent new animations
- On the fly tactics (haven't noticed the CPU do anything here though, tbh)
- Matches are generally quite tight and hard fought (but still a bit too easy overall)
- The build up needed to get into scoring chances are decent

BAD
- Game speed is way, way too fast (even faster than FIFA 18, in my opinion)
- Passes are still pinged around with ease by everyone (hopefully this will feel more realistic with poorer teams)
- The CPU tends to hammer every goal they get into the top corner (and literally hammer it) ...
- ... shots in general seem overpowered.
- I've had far too many clear headers from the back post (scored too many goals from there as well)

In general it doesn't feel like a big step up from 18 at all. But game speed is making it hard to judge. Overall I'm not disappointed or overjoyed (as expected). Games are tighter for me playing legendary here than on 18 (which was just ridiculously easy) - which is really good. Hopefully "ultimate" will feel like a good and fair challenge.

This is quicker than F1 2019 I mean come on who’s idea was it to put this speed in the game. You need a couple of bumps to keep up with it. Can’t play it like this after playing the beta. F**k FUT and the kiddie fiddling coins and packs.
EA Fifa office must be like one big cocaine party! Columbians on speed dial.

Worst 8 gb of data spend on my ps4. Fifa had much better games in the past, this is shame for company like EA. Another level of arcade games. I bought fifa 16, 17 and 18 but this is no no....
All positive thoughs from the beta were vanished. People like me who play offline were screwed now and for the future also, maybe really games are for kids only :) With all the flaws of the ai pes is miles ahead on the pitch in every aspect... Really expected much better game from EA after previous versions

I was wondering if thats why the game felt super fast.
I love how it looks in broadcast but it does make the game a tad faster.
Ill try demo in Tele as I like that as well.

It does affect the whole perception of the game.
Even though both games look far more realistic using Broadcast camera, they both become weird and absurdly quicker.
I was on the verge of asking for a refund on PES (using a modded Broadcast camera) when I decided to use one of the default ones and it started feeling a lot better all of a sudden for me.

Not a fan, I wont be bothering with FIFA this year. The presentation is fantastic but the rest of it feels so hollow. Diego Costa still has the same player model from 4 years ago, shocking when EA should have this down to a tee.

Corners are still using the shite target mechanic, just ewwwwww.

Same old same old.

In FIFA 18, I used R2 to bring a teammate close and L1 to ask them to make a run. R2 still seems to work but L2 doesn't.

Am I missing something? Is there another button to get a player to make a run for you?

Played a few games vs human. Graphics don't seem that different to me from 18. Think PES now has better lighting and graphics now. Ball physics seem better than 18 but still don't like the player animations never have done. Why do all the players seem to have the same skinny legs?? Nice to have different commentary though unlike the same old one in PES for the past 3 years or so.

Will still be buying it though. Neither game on its own can hold my interest for a whole year so always buy both.

It's amazing how everybody can have their own perception of things.
For me, even though the LOD is clearly NOT the best FROM THE GAMEPLAY CAMERA, I think this is the best looking FIFA ever. The color palette is a lot more intense, pitch is not as dull as last year and the year after that (probably not as vibrant as PES).

Like I said in my previous post, my only gripe is game pace and passing which to me feels off.

Yeah, LODs are still ugly [Let's pray CGFE works eventually] but the color palette really improved. They could still brighten up the night lighting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom