FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

I had a few more games yesterday and enjoyed it - the variety in my goals is great - but again, all the goals the AI scored came from pinging first-time passes around the edge of the box until they set up a literal tap-in that's impossible to miss.

If I could turn down the amount of first-time passes the AI strings together I'd be happy. If I could then turn down how desperate they are to get the ball to the striker as soon as they're in possession, I'd be very happy.

Does everybody play on Legendary? Is it futile playing on lower difficulties long-term? Do the lower difficulties affect the AI's first-time insta-passing anyway?

If I could turn down the amount of first-time passes the AI strings together I'd be happy. If I could then turn down how desperate they are to get the ball to the striker as soon as they're in possession, I'd be very happy.

That is my biggest issue to the CPU always looks to pass to the main striker first instance, it is annoying and predictable.

Does everybody play on Legendary? Is it futile playing on lower difficulties long-term? Do the lower difficulties affect the AI's first-time insta-passing anyway?

As for skill levels, I have not tried them since the patch, I just play on Legendary as the CPU is better at passing and seems to defend better than WC. WC to me is just full of terrible scripting and very bad obvious cheating from the CPU - Which also makes it more difficult to win.
As for professional people say it provides a good game, however when I tried 3 games on professional - I won all 3 by minimum 5 goals.

As for professional people say it provides a good game, however when I tried 3 games on professional - I won all 3 by minimum 5 goals.
Had time for one game on Professional at lunch - Hull (me) v RC Oostende (AI) - and the passing was noticeably less "first-timey" (though it still happens often and the lust for getting the ball to the striker is still there). The difficulty level changed their style to something much more keeping with what I'd expect (really annoys me that the difficulty level squeezes out AI play variety).

Weirdly, I also had more refereeing decisions in my favour - I can't recall being physical with an AI player (i.e. no tackle involved but I win the ball) and regularly getting away with it, but I saw an animation of the opposition manager gesticulating and shaking his head after the referee didn't blow for (what probably was) a foul.

Could be complete coincidence of course... Plus, I won 1-0, and I don't know if it'll be way too easy. But it was less button-mashy, from my perspective and from the AI's.

I play on Professional with full manual settings, and have done so for the past few years (to strike a happy medium, as it were). Sometimes people talk of playing on Legendary, but they use assisted settings- depends what you want (or endeavour) to get from the game.

I've gone back to FIFA 14, and am enjoying it (same settings); the AI plays a more varied passing game, the referees are better. To me, it shows that I might be coming to the end of playing football games. It seems that so many people are frustrated right now, so go back to older editions, the genre is close to death for offline (Career Mode/Master League) players. It's a shame as I've been playing football games since Kick Off 2...

Stolen from Reddit but I absolutely love this.

Bit of an oversight in those Career Mode cutscenes:

IFtBt6j.jpg

"I AM READY FOR ANYTHING!"
"Phil, we agreed I'd do the talking."
"ALWAYS READY! ALWAYS COMMITTED TO SAFETY! TELL HIM!"
"Remind me why I'm your agent."

Not sure if it's the last update or my tv has updated but HDR that I had disabled since launch due to being washed out is now much better

Well it didn't take too long, but I now mastered the new patch.

In my last 4 games, I won 5-1, 6-0, 3-0 and 4-0.

All I had to do was be a little patient in the build up and to defend successfully just change the setting from Attacking to Balanced, and just make sure you control the near where the CPU striker is going to past to rather than the nearest player (Just double tap the change player button).

So just had to change slightly the way I play, but easy as ever on Legendary.

Should hear some sort of news on the World Cup game the end of this month. Last I heard it was forecast to be released in March.

Latest news I read is the WC game is now going to be DLC for Fifa 18 rather than standalone.

"2018 World Cup mode is set to be brought out in the coming weeks and it will be available on all the leading consoles such as Playstation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and Microsoft Windows - with no word on whether PS3 and Xbox 360, will get a release."

Latest news I read is the WC game is now going to be DLC for Fifa 18 rather than standalone.

"2018 World Cup mode is set to be brought out in the coming weeks and it will be available on all the leading consoles such as Playstation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and Microsoft Windows - with no word on whether PS3 and Xbox 360, will get a release."

I'd prefer DLC to be honest. Can't justify paying £40-50 for a disc based game that'll be irrelevant after the WC Final.

Yeah all news sources point to DLC - a few point out that it was mostly FUT crap for FIFA 14 (the ball etc.). Betting it's the same again (they won't change the gameplay when people have got used to it and it's the same base game).

I'd prefer DLC to be honest. Can't justify paying £40-50 for a disc based game that'll be irrelevant after the WC Final.
I wouldn't think twice about buying again if there was a gameplay improvement. But they don't appear to have operated the "two teams" system (one for FIFA, one for WCs/Euros) since Simon Humber passed away (producer of one of the best ones, World Cup 2010).

EDIT: Just remembered Konami now have the license for the Euros.

Not interested in a world club DLC with the same crappy FIFA 18 gameplay. No thanks. I wish it was a different team working on a different source code like it use to be for FIFA World Cup 2002, 2006 and 2010(All of them were unique and fantastic). I don't want to play a world club game where players like Hazard, Messi and Neymar gets dispossessed and shrugged off by a random defender constantly.

FIFA 98 RTWC was great. I loved that it had so many national teams and could play the qualifiers to the world cup. It would be great if it was incorporated that thoroughly in Manager mode, take advantage of having that license! I loved taking teams like Bolivia or Honduras to the World Cup.

So what's the consensus on Fifa 17 on PS4 then? Is it regarded as better than 18 gameplay wise for the offline gamer? I'm getting slightly bored with 18 all over again. The AI makes me wanna rip my eyes out at times with the lack of variety in their play and exploitable bugs.

EDIT: Just remembered Konami now have the license for the Euros.

Unfortunately, Konami have the UEFA license but did fuck all with it. Euro 16 was just a new HUD/Interface & just one Stadium from the tournament! Couldn't even license all the teams in the competition.

Part of what makes the Euro/World Cup expansions appealing & authentic is playing in the licensed stadiums in the corresponding fixtures & kickoff times.

Crazy to think Konami wanted to charge money for that DLC (Still did for physical expansion) of didn't screw up the squad update that yeary

Well it didn't take too long, but I now mastered the new patch.

In my last 4 games, I won 5-1, 6-0, 3-0 and 4-0.

All I had to do was be a little patient in the build up and to defend successfully just change the setting from Attacking to Balanced, and just make sure you control the near where the CPU striker is going to past to rather than the nearest player (Just double tap the change player button).

So just had to change slightly the way I play, but easy as ever on Legendary.

Same here. I've won the Premiere League in my second season as Stoke - essentially dominated the league as if I was Man City this year. All too easy, scoring 3-5 goals per game no probs.

My theory is it's down to form. Anyone with experience with FUT knows how much of a boost chemistry can be, and I think it's the same with CM and form - once you get players on a bit of good form, their play becomes near unstoppable.

Add that to attacking play being overpowered in general, and it's just far too easy to rack up the goals this year.

I had a few more games yesterday and enjoyed it - the variety in my goals is great - but again, all the goals the AI scored came from pinging first-time passes around the edge of the box until they set up a literal tap-in that's impossible to miss.

Are you playing with sliders? What you keep saying about the CPU always trying to get the ball to their striker as soon as they're in possession seems so different than what I see on default. Sure, I have games where the CPU's strategy is to play forward to the striker, though I find it's typically when they play with a lone striker formation, and especially when they play with forwards who are target forward-types.

But I just played three matches trying to pay close attention to this, and in only one game did the CPU play like that - and it was entirely in line with what you'd think they'd do considering who the striker was and their formation. The other two games were nothing like that - in one they played 3 up front and the only time they ever played a direct pass to the central striker was when they gained possession in their attacking third from sloppy play by me... what you'd totally expect them to do. In the other game - I don't remember the formation - they played a slow buildup style and balls to the striker were varied and definitely not a primary tactic.

Maybe post a video. I'd like to see it 'cause it seems so counter to my experience.

The one touch passing is an issue, as it's always been, though I find that far less an issue this year than in previous years. In my experience it's only a problem when the CPU goes in all hyper-aggressive mode, usually when they're chasing a game, which is frustrating because it makes it more difficult than it probably should be to keep a clean sheet. Aside from those moments, I only have an issue with one touch passing this year when playing elite level teams and even then it's easier to defend than recent years. I've just started a new CM playing in the Championship and so far I've rarely seen the CPU play a successful one-touch passing game against me with much success. And I'm not using sliders.

So what's the consensus on Fifa 17 on PS4 then? Is it regarded as better than 18 gameplay wise for the offline gamer? I'm getting slightly bored with 18 all over again. The AI makes me wanna rip my eyes out at times with the lack of variety in their play and exploitable bugs.

Default FIFA 17 is as worse as FIFA 18 if not even worse. However gameplay mods have more effect in FIFA 17 than FIFA 18 by a large mile. Modded FIFA 17 is probably the best modern footie experience especially for me. So if you are in console, FIFA 18 will be the best you can get.

Latest patch legendary sliders ..mix of semi and manual controls ..broadcast camera
Sprint 30 /30
Accel 51/50
Shot err 58/58
Pass error 43/45
Pass speed 47/47
Gk ability 52/58
Marking 95/95
Run Freq 0/0
Height 58/58
Length 45/25
Width 55/40
First touch 57/49
Anything not there is at 50 default ..user left side AI right side ..6 fouls in last game AND AI shooting from various positions ..hope you like it , different approach

Default FIFA 17 is as worse as FIFA 18 if not even worse. However gameplay mods have more effect in FIFA 17 than FIFA 18 by a large mile. Modded FIFA 17 is probably the best modern footie experience especially for me. So if you are in console, FIFA 18 will be the best you can get.
My FIFA 17 with OS sliders,feels much more alive and realistic than 18,especially how the CPU attacks me,Im having a hard time liking 18.
On xbox 15 min semi pass,manual shooting,Leg

I've been really enjoying the game the last few months now. I'm playing on full manual controls on legendary as West Ham in career mode. I'm playing 10 minute halves and I'm playing on Normal Speed. My enjoyment of the game has gone up tenfold since I changed to playing on Normal Speed. Everything seems more fluid and the match ebbs and flows much better. Because I'm playing on full manual, the game doesn't feel too fast or arcade.

I find using little feints and little changes of direction, particularly with players like Lanzini, feels amazing. There's definite individuality there, especially when you play a more considered game. I think the problem with Fifa is that it feels so responsive that it's tempting to try and just go forward at pace with every opportunity....which obviously results in losing the ball, which results in getting pissed off and charging round to win it back...which results in the computer pinging the ball round you. Anyway just thought I'd drop a message in because I'm surprised at the criticism. I genuinely think it's a brilliant game. It gives you all the tools to replicate the beauty of a game of football.

I tried to play a bit of 18 today,but something feels off for me,can’t really put my finger on it,probably the first FIFA game I’m changing settings constantly,can’t find the right balance between pace/manual/assisted passing.
I usually give FIFA a bum wrap,since I’m really more pes,but the infamous 17 is a great game now that it’s been ironed out,16 was really good (minus cpu pass%) still play 15.
Wonder if 18 will become as good as them?
When you read threads on it over at OS,it seems to be a tough one to crack.
Hopefully it’s not the death of good offline football,imo both Pes and FIFA this year is a hit and a miss

Gave my 17 a rest so that I could really give 18 a go
Since the patch and Os sliders it’s a good game,it’s growing on me
Feels like my players are on their back heels bit to much,reacting slowly when pressed,think the cpu are playing quite balanced,but then again I’m in the championship,might get more direct when playing the PL
Like I said,growing on me

Had a few games last night on "slow" and was thinking it was way, way, way too fast (you can slow player movement but you can't slow general ball movement or decision-making, and everything the AI does is first-time).

No idea how you guys can play on "normal"!

Had a few games last night on "slow" and was thinking it was way, way, way too fast (you can slow player movement but you can't slow general ball movement or decision-making, and everything the AI does is first-time).

No idea how you guys can play on "normal"!

I can play on slow with AI pass speed on 20 (human on 45 I think) and First Touch Error on 95. Only then do they seem remotely human.

I've done all the slider adjustments and I get it has benefits but it feels to me the game is meant to be played on normal speed for it to play right..only my opinion and i would prefer it slower..my last game in career mode I got 8 fouls against me and 3 advantages..i just don't see that with whatever slider adjustment I use on slow

Playing with the latest set of sliders
With passing speed at 45/45 and slow game speed
Game plays alright,a bit unpredictable,getting good and strange fouls,my gk has been getting fk,don’t think I’ve seen that before on 18
On the negative side,feel that the cpu is always reacting faster,and feeling in more control than me.
Playing as Wigan in L1
I’ve always had my best games playing lower league

Back
Top Bottom