FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

FIFA 14 had really good AI. I remember that each match felt different. However when of my biggest issue of FIFA 14 was the catch up bug and how slow it was just to move a player.
Yes plus lots of headed goals IIRC?

Great game though, on PS4 at least.

I’m the same as guru now. I was enjoying it, really enjoying it. But now after playing about 15 games in my Aston Villa season it has become a bit repetitive and easy in some ways. When i say easy, i am talking about dispossessing the CPU without fouling. I still lose games but the way i can just win the ball back at relative ease has taken some of the fun out the game.

I noticed i wasnt enjoying it as much as i had been recently when i was playing the match but sitting down thinking about something else. I was daydreaming during the match and i found i was doing it quite a bit. That shows to me that there is not much intensity in the game for me. Admittedly i only play on World Class but for me now i’m not enjoying it again.

I want to enjoy it again but when i see a post hit or a fantastic save or shot. I don’t shout out “wow!” any more but start thinking “maybe the GK slider needs adjusting”, or “the shot accuracy slider needs adjusting again.”

It is probably the FIFA i have played the most but i just cannot get through a whole season. Interestingly i whacked in FIFA16, which i did enjoy in the past, but i couldnt get used to the “jerky” animation. It felt like i was playing a PS3 game.

I’m the same as guru now. I was enjoying it, really enjoying it. But now after playing about 15 games in my Aston Villa season it has become a bit repetitive and easy in some ways. When i say easy, i am talking about dispossessing the CPU without fouling. I still lose games but the way i can just win the ball back at relative ease has taken some of the fun out the game.

I noticed i wasnt enjoying it as much as i had been recently when i was playing the match but sitting down thinking about something else. I was daydreaming during the match and i found i was doing it quite a bit. That shows to me that there is not much intensity in the game for me. Admittedly i only play on World Class but for me now i’m not enjoying it again.

I want to enjoy it again but when i see a post hit or a fantastic save or shot. I don’t shout out “wow!” any more but start thinking “maybe the GK slider needs adjusting”, or “the shot accuracy slider needs adjusting again.”

It is probably the FIFA i have played the most but i just cannot get through a whole season. Interestingly i whacked in FIFA16, which i did enjoy in the past, but i couldnt get used to the “jerky” animation. It felt like i was playing a PS3 game.

That's a tough mentality to have. The question should only come up if it's consistently happening based on the sample size. So if you hit the post 3x in a match, it doesn't mean lower shot error. It may mean it's just that match. If it happens in 5 other matches, then yeah, that's enough to change sliders.

For me, FIFA 18, and 17, are not engrossing as much due to the Frostbite engine. It doesn't accomplish the slick surface, the realistic CPU build up, from FIFA 16. It suffers the same issues of PES 18 with matches starting to feel samey. It takes a couple matches though, unlike PES. PES, for me, takes a couple minutes into the match. The second I have all this space on the flank and through the middle, it's nap time.

Oh well, I'm still playing FIFA 18 and 16. I want to get the CPU to play more like they did in 16, but that may be a difficult task as they are engineered to go forward as quick as possible.

That's a tough mentality to have. The question should only come up if it's consistently happening based on the sample size. So if you hit the post 3x in a match, it doesn't mean lower shot error. It may mean it's just that match. If it happens in 5 other matches, then yeah, that's enough to change sliders.

For me, FIFA 18, and 17, are not engrossing as much due to the Frostbite engine. It doesn't accomplish the slick surface, the realistic CPU build up, from FIFA 16. It suffers the same issues of PES 18 with matches starting to feel samey. It takes a couple matches though, unlike PES. PES, for me, takes a couple minutes into the match. The second I have all this space on the flank and through the middle, it's nap time.

Oh well, I'm still playing FIFA 18 and 16. I want to get the CPU to play more like they did in 16, but that may be a difficult task as they are engineered to go forward as quick as possible.

It’s probably just all in the mind if i’m honest Matt. If there wasnt sliders then obviously that wouldnt cross my mind. Sometimes i wish i could go back to just playing the vanilla game and just accept it for what it is. I accepted old PES’ vanilla style but then once i started doing global editing and adjusting the stats little by little i found myself enjoying it a bit less. Play one game, adjust stat, play another game, change difficulty, play another game. I think what you have found out about FIFA is excellent but it must be tiresome for you sometimes. I’m sure there are times when you just wanna pick up and play and to hell with the rest.

It’s kinda like being a dj, having a night off, going clubbing and then listening out for beat clashes and key clashes from the dj playing instead of enjoying the music.

It’s probably just all in the mind if i’m honest Matt. If there wasnt sliders then obviously that wouldnt cross my mind. Sometimes i wish i could go back to just playing the vanilla game and just accept it for what it is. I accepted old PES’ vanilla style but then once i started doing global editing and adjusting the stats little by little i found myself enjoying it a bit less. Play one game, adjust stat, play another game, change difficulty, play another game. I think what you have found out about FIFA is excellent but it must be tiresome for you sometimes. I’m sure there are times when you just wanna pick up and play and to hell with the rest.

It’s kinda like being a dj, having a night off, going clubbing and then listening out for beat clashes and key clashes from the dj playing instead of enjoying the music.

Maybe, but that again depends on sample size. You have to give yourself rules to follow. If the issues are consistent, then, then that's a problem. I give myself 5 matches, and if the matches play differently, then I know it's a sweet spot. So if one match there were 5 posts hit by the CPU, and then none in matches 2 thru 5, then I know I"ve found the right slider value.

I personally play a lot matches. I've got multiple CMs and ML's going on. Since FIFA brings in so many variables, the sliders have to be applied to all sorts of formations, CTT's and playing styles. The grind is enjoyable, but there are just times when I get more annoyed/tired of the game's engine itself. Frostbite engine in 18 really took a step back unfortunately - and the animations/warping + magnetic feel throughout is tiring. I'm still playing it everyday though. I haven't touched the sliders, or thought of them, since we finished the most recent set. So I'd say that's a good sign. The base is there, and that's the most important thing with modifying gameplay.

Maybe, but that again depends on sample size. You have to give yourself rules to follow. If the issues are consistent, then, then that's a problem. I give myself 5 matches, and if the matches play differently, then I know it's a sweet spot. So if one match there were 5 posts hit by the CPU, and then none in matches 2 thru 5, then I know I"ve found the right slider value.

I personally play a lot matches. I've got multiple CMs and ML's going on. Since FIFA brings in so many variables, the sliders have to be applied to all sorts of formations, CTT's and playing styles. The grind is enjoyable, but there are just times when I get more annoyed/tired of the game's engine itself. Frostbite engine in 18 really took a step back unfortunately - and the animations/warping + magnetic feel throughout is tiring. I'm still playing it everyday though. I haven't touched the sliders, or thought of them, since we finished the most recent set. So I'd say that's a good sign. The base is there, and that's the most important thing with modifying gameplay.

I still find FIFA 17 to be a better game than FIFA 18. The two things FIFA 18 did better than FIFA 17 were crosses and the pace of players(no-catchup). However FIFA 17 have more better and progressive AI(rather constantly forward thinking AI). The defensive midfielder actually closes me down and puts a lot of pressure in FIFA 17. It's much more harder and rewarding to score. And if you install some gameplay patches, dribbling and physics becomes smoother. Also there was no hidden team styles overriding custom team tactics in FIFA 17 too so CTT worked really good. However both FIFA 17 and FIFA 18 suppers from average attacking AI. They need to get the PES 3 attacking AI code and put it on FIFA 17 and FIFA 18.

Had a session again today. I always come to the same conclusion. It's a reasonably good game, there's a lot of good mechanics in it, but full manual or semi it's too frustratingly difficult to attack on the higher difficulties, and on assisted passing it's just way too easy - defending is easy with either setting, I barely concede a goal. All could be fixed if they managed to make the fucking stats count for something (pass stats especially). That's it. That's the one thing they need to fix. Make the goddamned stats work! Until then, this game will remain unplayable over any serious amount of time in one player offline mode. Semi-assisted passing on professional or world class can be decent, but it just doesn't feel right to have to pin point every single pass, no matter how easy it should be to perform (Eriksen not being able to pick out a backwards pass to Rose who's 5 meters behind him for instance, or Rose simply not able to receive the pass because it's like half a meter off him), simply to balance the game out.

Someone please let me know if you've managed to make a slider set to use with assisted passing that makes the game realistic and difficult. :)

By the way - are there updated option files/ saved game files for FIFA 17 on the PS4 with updated squads and shirts and such? Would be fun to play that again, see how it compares now (I didn't play that game much at all, as I prefered PES last year). Just not sure I want to play a season with last year's teams.

I played my first game in a week. I played Legendary for the first time on full manual. Using OP sliders. I really enjoyed the match even though i was hammered 4-1. It felt like the CPU was more patient in attack and it wasn't so easy to disposses them.

Good game but not sure if it was because i had a break.

Do you guys have any tips on corners? Both attacking and defending (online matches)? Its making me totally crazy. I score 1 of 100 corners but my opponents (no mather who he is) scores from every fourth or fifth. Absolutelly cant defend them... Thanks

Ive just upped the level to Legendary full manual with slight adjustment to OP sliders and i’m really enjoying it after about 4 games. And the woodwork has only been hit once :)

Hmmm, I'm on Matt's sliders on World Class and the AI is hitting the woodwork on average 3 times every match. Had 12 games so far on this save. Besides this, I'm having a brilliant time.

Hmmm, I'm on Matt's sliders on World Class and the AI is hitting the woodwork on average 3 times every match. Had 12 games so far on this save. Besides this, I'm having a brilliant time.

I’m pleased you are enjoying it. Yeh i found on World Class that the woodwork was hit a lot but not so much on Legendary. I avoided that level before because i thought the CPU would be superhuman but they are not. Although i do give myself a +1 over the CPU on the Acceleration and Top Speed sliders to even it out a bit.

So I sold this game about a week ago because it was boring the shit out of me. I feel like the whole sports industry is hellbent on forcing complexity rather than getting the basics right. It's as if they're making like MMOs - four miles wide and about one foot deep. I just can't get on with them at all anymore.

latest patch ....

Made the following changes in Gameplay:
  • After kickoff, the defending team will be more compact in defense.
    • Their attacking players will be less aggressive in pushing up the field.
    • Their defensive players will close the space between them and their attacking players to reduce the gap and limit the attacking team’s space.

Really? damn...
I was really enjoying my modded FIFA... I wonder what will stop working.

I'll keep the game offline as long as I don't read that it's fine with frosty manager and stuff, and I suggest for you to do the same. I'm really enjoying Fifa with Fidel's GP, squads and other graphical mods. At this point I wouldn't touch anymore plain, I think.
(if this will be possible at all, as in another board I've read origin practically forced a user to update the game anyway)

I'll keep the game offline as long as I don't read that it's fine with frosty manager and stuff, and I suggest for you to do the same. I'm really enjoying Fifa with Fidel's GP, squads and other graphical mods. At this point I wouldn't touch anymore plain, I think.
(if this will be possible at all, as in another board I've read origin practically forced a user to update the game anyway)

Exactly!
Imma do the same.

Matt10 from OS forum

Findings:

- CPU is not as perfect in their 1v1 tackling
- CPU tracking back will tackle you from behind, so watch out all around you, they are not going to just run back to their designated spot
- Keepers seemed a bit iffy in terms of animations. They started diving lower too soon in some cases, granted I tested pretty low quality.
- CPU still pushes everyone forward fairly quickly, using driven pass like before, will look if this is related to CTT.
- I was excited to hear about the defenders being more in tune, but for the user, they're still lagging behind with the driven pass. Need to test more.

we know but its fifa 18 thread ;) i still enjoy 18 but only exhibition match . CM is broken and scripted as hell.

we know but its fifa 18 thread ;) i still enjoy 18 but only exhibition match . CM is broken and scripted as hell.

I tried it after the new patch. The only thing it fixes is scoring goals straight from kick off. Still dribbling is crap, my players fees like they move through muds, way too scripted, all CPU defenders are Maldini with magnetic boots. Crappy teams are gods. So much problems. FIFA 18 is probably close with FIFA 15 on being the worst FIFA i have ever played especially after all the patches.

I tried it after the new patch. The only thing it fixes is scoring goals straight from kick off. Still dribbling is crap, my players fees like they move through muds, way too scripted, all CPU defenders are Maldini with magnetic boots. Crappy teams are gods. So much problems. FIFA 18 is probably close with FIFA 15 on being the worst FIFA i have ever played especially after all the patches.
Got to say I agree, I keep going back to it and end up lasting a couple of games. Such a huge step backwards - I need to get myself a PC that will run a modded 17. That was such a good game IMO, all it needed was some variety - not the all-out-attacking clusterfuck it is now.

Modded FIFA 18 is better than a modded FIFA 17. At least, in my eyes.
I've been playing FIFA for almost two months now and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. In fact, I've even went as far as playing THE JOURNEY........ that says it all.

I haven't got a decent enough PC to try it (Intel Core 2 Quad 3.2ghz with a Radeon HD 5670, how's that for a setup?!). But does modding cancel out the AI's desperation to get the ball forward as directly as possible? Over and over again?

I've been playing FIFA for almost two months now and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. In fact, I've even went as far as playing THE JOURNEY........ that says it all.

I have tried all the mods. It's too broken. No way to fix the linear attacking CPU. No way to fix the dribbling. No way to fix teleportation and magnetism by the CPU. No way to fix smaller teams destroying you. The only thing FIFA 18 does better is crossing and maybe pace/sprint.

I've enjoyed a football game free month - I can recommend it! I check in here occasionally to see if a patch has been released that makes stats count in the game, but haven't exactly been holding my breath. Offline football gaming without heavy modding have been dead for years, in all honesty. The only way to play a decent game of offline football these days are by modding your game with a shedload of mods. Unfortunately, the whole modding "scene" is a jungle in itself, and figuring out which mods are best suited for one's need is no different than faffing about with sliders. Either way, I think the lesson is quite clear, the search for the holy grail, the perfect football game experience, is a pipe dream - it just won't happen. You'll most likely never again sit down with a football game and think, "this is it, this is the only football game I need, I can play this for 10 years". It won't happen! The sooner we learn this lesson and start spending time on other things, like reading books, making music, going for walks, spending time with our kids, or whatever - the better. :P

Unless, of course, some new game developer sees this as an opportunity to come in and make a brilliant game tailored for the offline crowd, with AI to match. Come to think of it, AI has never been smarter or more in the wind, so with the right developers, it could possibly happen. You could say that no one has the muscle to compete with Konami or EA, but why not try? Sure, you won't get licenses and all that crap, but who cares if you manage to make a rrrrrreeeallly good and realistic football game? Hopefully someone can step up and deliver a good game for the offline masses demanding more realism - because it sure as hell doesn't look like EA or Konami are going to deliver on that front in the foreseeable future.

Unless, of course, some new game developer sees this as an opportunity to come in and make a brilliant game tailored for the offline crowd, with AI to match. Come to think of it, AI has never been smarter or more in the wind, so with the right developers, it could possibly happen. You could say that no one has the muscle to compete with Konami or EA, but why not try? Sure, you won't get licenses and all that crap, but who cares if you manage to make a rrrrrreeeallly good and realistic football game? Hopefully someone can step up and deliver a good game for the offline masses demanding more realism - because it sure as hell doesn't look like EA or Konami are going to deliver on that front in the foreseeable future.

You are overestimating the most of the crowd who buys this games. Really, I don't want to sound elitist, but it's a fact that the general big bulk of the people who buys Fifa or Pes cares A LOT for licenses and for an immediate, fast soccer game to play online. Why? Because otherwise EA and Konami wouldn't make the games they are making. The sad truth is that us wanting a realistic, balanced game are a dying minority. To the point that all the alternatives we have from way more than a decade to this two titles, are just crappy parodies of soccer.

Making a good soccer simulation is too expensive to only do it for our niche. Our only hope is for the market to kinda change, or for the developers to really let us completely customize the gameplay, but I somehow doubt that either it's gonna happen. Especially if Fifa (and by reflex, in a couple of years Pes too) will stop the classic release to become an annual, pay to update game as rumours are saying.. in that case, prepare to say goodbye to any hope to ever see digital soccer as we purists like it.

Back
Top Bottom