FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

I think it's no coincidence @Matt10

I've been sustaining this theory that both game maker teams know what the other company is focusing on for next years' game. Like they have some kind of pact or something like that. Like they must notify the other company if they are changing their engine and stuff. Maybe not about licenses.

That's why year after year we "coincidentally" get both games focusing on pretty much the exact opposite areas of the game and even featuring the Rival team and/or Rival player competitor on the Teaser and Cover.

Still... I think there's always so much more to disect from PES trailers than FIFA.
When I watched this, it left me with a "hmmm looks too similar to FIFA 17, aside from the totally perfectly represented Ronaldo, the rest looks the same".
When I watched PES trailer my heart was jumping like I was 10 years old, and I re-watched it every day for the following week. I don't think I will be watching this one again too much.
exactly the way i felt.

This is a somewhat trivial gripe (as I could go on for an hour about all of the gameplay related issues I'd like to see fixed in FIFA 18), but I sure as hell hope that with all of their technical prowess and man power, they've figured out what night lighting should look like. It's not dark, brown, and muddy looking, EA. The pitch is very vibrant at night. Also, both games need to fix their damn turf colors. It's always hilarious that we've had to rely on mods all of these years to fix such a simplistic issue. If some 17-year-old in eastern Europe can fix it for free, surely a team of professional developers and artists can suss it out.

This is a somewhat trivial gripe (as I could go on for an hour about all of the gameplay related issues I'd like to see fixed in FIFA 18), but I sure as hell hope that with all of their technical prowess and man power, they've figured out what night lighting should look like. It's not dark, brown, and muddy looking, EA. The pitch is very vibrant at night. Also, both games need to fix their damn turf colors. It's always hilarious that we've had to rely on mods all of these years to fix such a simplistic issue. If some 17-year-old in eastern Europe can fix it for free, surely a team of professional developers and artists can suss it out.
They screw up the turf colors in the hope that it would look different from previous games lol.

But the real question is, why do they keep the night turf dark as goo? It doesn't look good.

Guessing you thought that because of how poor and illegible the "FIFA" text looks with the "Emirates" text underneath it. So did I.

First thing i thought was poor foresight/vision from the graphics designer to just plonk the FIFA 18 Logo right on top of the Emirates text.

Like they couldn't just use some of the white space at the bottom or photoshop the Emirates text out haha. Amateurs.

Also worth noting that they'll just Photoshop Ronaldo's head onto a model wearing the New Real Madrid strip closer to release.

I am hearing rumors that FIFA 18 will improve Ultimate Team more and not a lot of changes on gameplay or career mode. They are focusing on face scan and tattoo scan. If that rumor is true, can't wait for PES.

I am hearing rumors that FIFA 18 will improve Ultimate Team more and not a lot of changes on gameplay or career mode. They are focusing on face scan and tattoo scan. If that rumor is true, can't wait for PES.
I expected game-play stays the same, with more added content, this is the EA way. They will still sell shit loads.
I'm not positive but i think it's a generation thing with these 2 football games, the older generation grew up on PES 5/6 the younger generation grew up on Fifa 11/12.
They aren't switching sides because they have mastered game-play, and have grown up playing it.
If Konami wants PES to become big again they need to make a better game for around 8 years, so the next generation of kids will grow up PES players.

Fifa players play there game and love it for different reasons than PES players.

To steer the conversation away from nets for a moment (sorry not sorry)...

EA are streaming tonight from 8pm UK time (BST), and a "FIFA reveal" will be part of it, according to their Twitter account.

You can watch, live, at www.twitch.com/ea.

Been reasonably busy so sadly little time to follow the announcements, but has either game made any reference to the AI/tactics side of things? Both do a lot right, but until those bits are fixed the single-player experience will remain pretty crap imo.

If FIFA doesn't improve the CPU/AI(which is the only issue I have with FIFA) then I will give it a pass this year.

Been reasonably busy so sadly little time to follow the announcements, but has either game made any reference to the AI/tactics side of things? Both do a lot right, but until those bits are fixed the single-player experience will remain pretty crap imo.
In a word, no. In two words, not yet.

The last time they touched the CPU/AI side of things was in FIFA 11. After that, all they alter are some global team attributes for every team like the passing accuracy and the style of play(long ball/tiki taka). I have been playing FIFA 12 up to FIFA 17 and I notice the same issue with the CPU that I had since FIFA 12. The only noticeable changes is how inhuman/robotic they maintain the defensive line since FIFA 16 to it's perfection regardless of the team.

So :D they really will try to copy Player ID from PES.
That will they they "key "and "huge "new future this year. And the game looks exactly like FIFA 16-17 with strange players body proportion

Apparently FIFA 18 will have team/player styles. Hopefully that makes each team plays differently and the CPU not having 90% passing accuracy every team regardless of the team.

Official blurb about gameplay changes...

https://www.easports.com/fifa/features

Previews going up now...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-10-early-impressions-of-fifa-18

http://www.gamesradar.com/fifa-18-h...ney-2-ultimate-team-fixed-penalties-and-more/

Interesting comment at the end of the Eurogamer one. "Not entirely convincing"...

Also, five attacking and five defending styles will introduce team individuality? I don't think so - especially when, if you set a lower league team to "tiki taka", I bet they do it just as well as Barcelona.

I'm being very cynical, I know. But it's hard to believe given the info...

Last edited:
Everything appears to have a brown filter on it. When I think if football, I definitely think of muddy, brown overlays akin to Xbox 360/PS3 games circa 2010. Also, Sterling's animation when he bridges someone (with his arms out like that) looks horrendous. The Journey would be something I'd dabble in once, but not with a preset character. I understand why you need one (since it's a story driven game mode), but I want to play as myself, or any other player I could dream up, not a predefined character. Anyway, no surprise there was zero mention of career mode.

All in all, about what I expected. I'll buy it, put a couple hundred hours into it like I do every year, but I sure as hell hope PES 18 can keep me interested for more than a few hours this year. I'd like both games to be viable in the long term. For me personally, that is.

Official blurb about gameplay changes...

https://www.easports.com/fifa/features

Previews going up now...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-10-early-impressions-of-fifa-18

http://www.gamesradar.com/fifa-18-h...ney-2-ultimate-team-fixed-penalties-and-more/

Interesting comment at the end of the Eurogamer one. "Not entirely convincing"...

Also, five attacking and five defending styles will introduce team individuality? I don't think so - especially when, if you set a lower league team to "tiki taka", I bet they do it just as well as Barcelona.

I'm being very cynical, I know. But it's hard to believe given the info...

Also is it just me but it's easy to dispose the ball from the CPU from the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Hazard, Sanchez, etc but a midfielder from Skybet goes through my whole defense. Also it doesn't help when you play against a team full of Fabregas, Ozil and Pirlo passing ability.

"
I’ve played with, and against, eight teams – Chelsea and Man City at the top end of the game, Toronto and LA Galaxy slightly further away from the elite – and can report that each feels less predictable than in FIFA 17. Chelsea shift the ball wide to wing-backs Alonso and Moses impressively often, as in real life, while Sterling and De Bruyne are keen to run at my full-backs for City. Fitting, as Rivera is keen to point out that further differentiation between teams will come from specific individual traits.

“Within those team attacking and defensive styles, individual player skills are going to be considered,” he says. “For example, Barcelona will play Tiki Taka, but once in a while Messi will beat five players without passing. You will see that [player individuality]. Ronaldo will try to dribble and shoot, and do everything by himself. That type of personality will affect team [uniqueness].

good point

"
I’ve played with, and against, eight teams – Chelsea and Man City at the top end of the game, Toronto and LA Galaxy slightly further away from the elite – and can report that each feels less predictable than in FIFA 17. Chelsea shift the ball wide to wing-backs Alonso and Moses impressively often, as in real life, while Sterling and De Bruyne are keen to run at my full-backs for City. Fitting, as Rivera is keen to point out that further differentiation between teams will come from specific individual traits.

“Within those team attacking and defensive styles, individual player skills are going to be considered,” he says. “For example, Barcelona will play Tiki Taka, but once in a while Messi will beat five players without passing. You will see that [player individuality]. Ronaldo will try to dribble and shoot, and do everything by himself. That type of personality will affect team [uniqueness].

good point

That's a bit positive news. Did they mention anything regarding the passing accuracy from bad players?

Back
Top Bottom