FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Is it because NHL and NFL sells more?
The best figures I can find put total NFL 17 sales (as of April) at around 5m - let's say 7m including digital sales, to be a little generous (or you can be more generous, if you like). According to Forbes (SOURCE), last year's FIFA sales almost hit that after a single month.

fifa-unit-sales.png

(Quick note: FIFA 17 sales were 18% up in the first week - SOURCE - so from about 4.8m to 5.5m. IN THE FIRST WEEK!)

FIFA is their best-selling franchise by far. Even if you roll together NFL and NHL sales, FIFA outsells them, because handegg and hockey are only guaranteed sales in the US. Outside of America, FIFA sells absolute truckloads wherever it's released. It rakes money in, especially when you include the Ultimate Team purchases (which the other games now have as well, but a much larger, and arguably younger audience equals much more $$$).

The fact that NFL and NHL have so many more changes and features is because of the opposite of what you're saying (in my opinion) - it's because the teams in charge of those games are being tasked with the same thing every year... "Make this game sell as well as FIFA".

(Which it never will, and the management knows that - but every business wants more money, doesn't it.)

They know that they can put the minimum investment into FIFA and get back an absolute truckload of money, and for as long as PES is out of the running, from a business perspective, it 100% makes sense to do that.

The one "safe" change they could make that would, if anything, increase sales, would be to make the game prettier. And what did they do for FIFA 17? They introduced Frostbite, unexpectedly at the expense of the gameplay, which is now plagued with response issues and glitches (IMO).

What happened? It broke sales records (see the note below the chart).

Because it was prettier...

Last edited:
FIFA 15 was prettier than 16 in your opinion?

FIFA 16 has been the best FIFA game I've ever played, specially after the mods and additional content from the Community.

FIFA 16 + ModdingWay Patch + My ReShade + Gameplay tweaks + Slider tweaks + Faces, Boots, Ads+ Etc = A great game. So enjoyable.

Sometimes I even ask myself why the hell have I not re-installed this yet.

FIFA 15 was prettier than 16 in your opinion?
No, sorry, I wasn't expressing a personal opinion about the graphics (and I was talking about 17)! My point was that they invested in making FIFA 17 look more realistic (via Frostbite), whether you feel it has or hasn't. That was their goal, because it's a safe way to increase sales.

Even though it arguably damaged the gameplay (I certainly think it's a worse game), sales jumped 18%. That's a pretty big jump given the chart I provided above. So they know that substance really doesn't matter. (As do Konami by the way - they're a business too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar focus given this success.)

FIFA 16 has been the best FIFA game I've ever played, specially after the mods and additional content from the Community.
Yeah, it was a big step backwards from 16 to 17 for me. No gameplay benefit whatsoever, and "objectives" in Manager Mode that you largely have no control over... If that's considered an upgrade then... Urgh.

Interesting comments as I was wondering whether to pick up Fifa 17 having become rather tired PES and ML in particular. I think I'll stick with cheap and cheerful Fifa 16 as change of footy game.

Yes FiFA 17 isn't responsive as FiFA 16. There is a very noticeable delay when you move your analogue sticks/arrow keys to move a player. This alone makes it worse than FiFA 16, let alone other problems.

I still play FIFA 16 to this day and played FIFA 17 like for only 7 hours before I just gave up how boring and easy it is.

16 overall is a more stable game than 17 I think a lot of us will agree on that. I agree with Chris Davies that 17's move to the Frostbite engine has definitely broken parts of the game and 18 hopefully will be a lot about putting them silly things right to make the game better. Graphically? yes 17 is prettier than 16 IMO. It looks more realistic and less cartoony... Shit terminology to use I know but can't think of a better word than Cartoony. Do I think it looks as good as it can? NO... NO I don't...

Most definetely not.
Seeing the results, the switch to Frostbite brought more evil than good. The graphics aren't really that good. So the change isn't justified. One would have expected close to reality graphics considering they put out the game like that (with that unfinished smell) but no. Not even on par with PES on the PS4 which is a lot closer to looking amazing than FIFA ever did.

I don't know what people were expecting when FIFA switched to Frostbite.

I was just expecting better player models and lighting and the gameplay to be close to 16 but with a few bugs here and there which would be slowly patched.

However I am expecting a lot more this year from FIFA 18, it shouldn't be just a 16 port on a new engine.

I am expecting better graphics, gameplay to be massively improved as they should now have more experience with the frostbite engine.

I have given up though with asking for the same basic things to be fixed with competition rules in the career mode, but would like them to get rid of the crappy objectives which have no bearing on the career mode.

That's the thing: Player models have been horrible since they made the switch to PS3 and XBOX 360. And they kept it about the same for PS4 and XBOX ONE. They are just awful. They've been improving that year by year but it's simply not enough. PES has 10x times better player models. So, all Frostbite did is add Volumetric lighting.

I can't wait to see what more glitches to come in FIFA next version. But seriously, I really hope we get great football games, I'm hoping PES steps up big time so that both games can get better and better.

I will be surprised if it beats modded FIFA 16. The only thing missing in my modded FIFA 16 is more team variety. Other than that, I am having a blast with the new moddingway patch, modded .exe and gameplay.

That's the thing: Player models have been horrible since they made the switch to PS3 and XBOX 360. And they kept it about the same for PS4 and XBOX ONE. They are just awful. They've been improving that year by year but it's simply not enough. PES has 10x times better player models. So, all Frostbite did is add Volumetric lighting.

Player models were horrible since FiFA 2001.

The switch to Ps3 and Xbox 360 made it atleast look better than the previous models where the heads looked way bigger with small hands, body and leg.

But that doesn't change the fact that the player models are still weird though. So yeah you have a point, but I don't agree that it started wth Xbox 360. It was always a problem with FiFA.

On the other hand, the graphics of FiFA 17 isn't good looking as Uncharted 4. But it does look more natural and comfortable compared to FiFA 16.

And damn, they did a fine job with cloth simulation. No other game comes close to this.

back on topic..seems like there is a video on YT about a possible splash screen and home page...i don't know if is fake or not

Off-topic - I've moved all of the off-topic stuff out (I realise it's almost 100% my fault that we started talking about FIFA 14, 15 and 16 in the first place, sorry guys)... Discussion of Matt10's FIFA 16 folder can now be found over here.

On-topic - I saw this on Twitter earlier today but can't find much more about it...

Bs98BHB.jpg

Off-topic - I've moved all of the off-topic stuff out (I realise it's almost 100% my fault that we started talking about FIFA 14, 15 and 16 in the first place, sorry guys)... Discussion of Matt10's FIFA 16 folder can now be found over here.

On-topic - I saw this on Twitter earlier today but can't find much more about it...

Bs98BHB.jpg

If it's real, that means we will most likely get the first first person perspective soccer game. That's like my dream game.

Rumour... FIFA 18 will be the start of an exclusive contract with Sony, as opposed to Microsoft (which has resulted in FUT legends players exclusive to the Xbox).

SOURCE: NeoGAF

I don't know what people were expecting when FIFA switched to Frostbite.

I was just expecting better player models and lighting and the gameplay to be close to 16 but with a few bugs here and there which would be slowly patched.

However I am expecting a lot more this year from FIFA 18, it shouldn't be just a 16 port on a new engine.

I am expecting better graphics, gameplay to be massively improved as they should now have more experience with the frostbite engine.

I have given up though with asking for the same basic things to be fixed with competition rules in the career mode, but would like them to get rid of the crappy objectives which have no bearing on the career mode.
I have never see fifa 18 if just making community mods is death [like fifa 17]

Rumour... FIFA 18 will be the start of an exclusive contract with Sony, as opposed to Microsoft (which has resulted in FUT legends players exclusive to the Xbox).

This would actually make sense.

FIFA signs exclusive deal with SONY at the same time that PES has now gone all out on PC.
Many of us suspected Sony was paying Konami to have some sort of "premium version" for the PS4/PS4PRO leaving XBOX ONE behind and PC even more. So... this would actually make perfect sense.

This would actually make sense.

FIFA signs exclusive deal with SONY at the same time that PES has now gone all out on PC.
Many of us suspected Sony was paying Konami to have some sort of "premium version" for the PS4/PS4PRO leaving XBOX ONE behind and PC even more. So... this would actually make perfect sense.
This is kinda bad news.

I hope EA makes FiFA 18 world cup for PC!

It's a really bad news for Xbox's owner if it real but it's marketing. Package with Xbox Scorpio with FIFA 18 was a real dream for me.
If Fifa 18 is really good, it's not a problem for me, I've got a PS4 Pro and i'll have a Scorpio day One.
The exclusive deal is for legends on FUT, and i don't give a fut about this mode, so... EA ACCESS will continue I think on XBox.
If FIFA 18 is 4K HDR 60 fps on PS4 Pro and One S/Scorpio, i'm ok with that.
EA will make some teasing next week I think, before E3 2017

still no trailer? wonder how much longer they will wait?
maybe PES trailer shocked them?
now they feel it's like bringing cup cakes to the Queens weeding.:BAND:

Last edited:
still no trailer? wonder how much longer they will wait?
maybe PES trailer shocked them?
now they feel it's like bringing cup cakes to the Queens weeding.:BAND:

They are just waiting to unveil the game at E3 EA conference.

Rumour Alert: Looks like Ronaldo is going to be on the cover (for those who are interested in this sort of thing) - or, at the very least, there's going to be a "Ronaldo Edition".

This is according to a Danish game retailer:

ogNCHOB.jpg
kd5diUR.jpg

So it's Barcelona (PES) v Real (FIFA)...

EDIT: Just read a comment on Twitter along the lines of "how much would you pay if the 'Ronaldo Edition' came with a code to unlock Ronaldo for your FUT team". It would seem like a lot of people would pay a lot of money for that. Like, £100s.

Scary thought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom