FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Not sure what EA are doing , 10 patches now and fouls are all but gone again..i think somewhere around patch 7 they got it right and I was getting 7 ish per game now it's back to 2 ish. They have showed they can go more SIM like but then keep reverting back and forth. If they are going to do that give offline players a patch choice to drop back to
So god damn frustrating,had an ok career going,but 10 updates?
I’ve only been aboard since 1,08,and free kicks have pretty much been non existent for me,1-2 mid pitch,rarely any outside the box.
I can live with that,but latest patch has made the game frenzy again.
Kinda done with this for now

Not sure what EA are doing , 10 patches now and fouls are all but gone again..i think somewhere around patch 7 they got it right and I was getting 7 ish per game now it's back to 2 ish. They have showed they can go more SIM like but then keep reverting back and forth. If they are going to do that give offline players a patch choice to drop back to

Yep i’m the same. I had a break for a bit but just started a new season. Played the pre-season cup and got to the final and played one game in the league. So 6 games played and i think 1 or 2 fouls in total. Not happy about that. But enjoying rest of the gameplay on Prof and using stats from someone on OS. I like the individuality in this game. Grealish is excellent when on his game.

Not sure what EA are doing , 10 patches now and fouls are all but gone again..i think somewhere around patch 7 they got it right and I was getting 7 ish per game now it's back to 2 ish. They have showed they can go more SIM like but then keep reverting back and forth. If they are going to do that give offline players a patch choice to drop back
to

Never thought I'd ever find myself saying this but I'm now getting more fouls per game on PES than FIFA. It's like Konami and EA ai Devs have swapped sides.

Think @Matt10 latest slider set works very good,not a fix for free kicks etc,but as a whole.
Had one of my better games using them.

Thanks mate, much appreciated, You know we're all working together on this thing. Feeling good after more matches.

Here's the current beta set for Evo guys.

FIFA 18 Operation Sports Sliders | Version 8.5 Beta (1.10 Update)
World Class/Legendary, 10-15 Mins, Slow Speed
as of 3/17/18

Sprint Speed - 45/48 (from 45/45) - Need this discrepancy so the player marking the ball carrier doesn't give up too soon. The user can always start their sprint over, but the CPU is at the mercy of this setting which results in them slowing up, and often times being beaten. I believe why there is a bit more open play here - and in favor of the user.

Acceleration - 50/50 - Wanted true fatigue back. Animations seem much smoother as well since putting these back to 50.

Shot Error - 50/50 - Clarification on this one just because I had made the recommendation for 49/49, but shooting became too clinical, and still some posts hit. May have to live with it, but for now, we'll go back to 50/50 per the previous set.

Pass Error- 50/50 (from 52/52) - Pass Error gets a look here to actually help the CPU be a bit more mindful of their passing. More possession versus just going forward as quickly as possible. While this isn't the answer alone, it definitely has shown to have helped in combination of the slider set.

Shot Speed - 51/51 (from 50/50) - Very slight bump here because there were many powerful shots that were being cushioned instead of deflected. Nice to see some venomous strikes and creating that sense of anything can happen as a result. Note, pay attention to keeper save animations, in particular backward save animations (where they jump backwards to save powerful shots). This has been my hesitation with increase shot speed in the past.

Pass Speed - 48/48 (from 45/45) - update 3/7: Looking into Pass speed + Sprint Speed relevant to the DAA and Locomotion animations.

Injury Frequency - 64/64 - less players walking off the pitch, and more recovering from injuries. Credit to @mark0r .

Injury Severity - 4/4 - still plenty of severe injuries and variety of injuries. Credit to @mark0r .

GK Ability - 48/48 (from 50/50) - Lowered this just a tad to stop the ridiculous saves, but more importantly, the constant need for the GK to try to intercept every cross. If the cross is high and floaty, then sure, but if it's driven, it shouldn't mean the GK can anticipate it so quickly. Can't go too low on this value as it can result in the GK dropping underneath the flight of the ball when attempting to save.

Marking - 52/52 (previous 50/50) - Good suggestion for a slight increase here, and with the length discrepancy + change to width, we should see a bit better coverage throughout the pitch.

Run Frequency - 1/1 (previous 20/20) - As mentioned in the preview, this is just something that tends to happen no matter what. Throughout all final sliders, we always end up here. The concept is that a 50/50 RF is like a 70/70, and a 20 is like a 40, so 1 is really like a 10. If that means nothing, then consider it more so the amount of runs and the positions. I like to think that 1/1 means that 1 forward makes the streaking run, and the other makes a check to the ball run. So if you have 2/2 it's two forwards who run at a streak. Go up higher to like a 10/10, now it's an unlimited amount of players that can run on these streaks, which causes a lot of issues and that constant end-to-end action. Just a bit more hesitation is the goal here. It's not perfect, and definitely needs to be looked at. I know there are some who hate the lower run frequency and feel that handicaps the runners, but I would say give it a shot and report back your findings. As always, video of the players off the ball - and their runs - would be the best way for us to diagnose what may be going on.

Height- 60/60 (previous 55/55) - Like I said, it is a solid patch update, but it still leaves the user's defenders not meeting the attackers early enough. So, there is a necessary bump in height, length and marking. This is actually working out quite well and actually feels like all players are in-tune with where the ball is. Granted, there is not much that can be done with the driven pass to the CPU striker, but at least when it does occur, there is a defending player nearby. Did not want to raise this too high as the higher it goes, the more exposed the defensive line will be and the less the CTT's will come into play. The higher marking value alone should allow them to move forward more, so there is no need to overdue it and risk things becoming linear. The best part about this patch update is that no longer are the midfielders "pushed" out of position due to the higher height. They will now remain compressed if needed, which really looks great when the numbers are built in defense properly. Makes for a proper defensive third stand or attack - depending which side of the ball you're on of course.

Length- 42/44 (previous 42/42) - Length discrepancy makes an appearance here to help spread out the CPU players a tad defensively. DAA seems to be caused by indecision on who is going to mark the ball carrier. Get them too close (compressed) and there is more chance for confusion. Benefit of increasing length as well brings in a sense of hesitation going forward and the hope is to always signify a bit of resistance (passing lanes blocked) that the CPU can feel.

Width- 50/50 (previous 52/52) - Back and forth here, but it's tricky with each update. The DAA seems to rear its ugly head when the DMF and FB do not know who to mark, and it results in the indecision. The DMF will follow the ball carrier as far as possible, but the second they release it, the FB is is out of position. I do think the CPU's discrepancy in Sprint will help matters though as well so whoever is chasing the ball carrier, they don't give up too soon.

FB Positioning - 50/50 - FB's were getting up the pitch too quickly, and running into the midfield, not to mention being able to be found very easily with a switch ball.

FT Control - 55/55 (50/52) - Another slight bump here, and it's looking much better. Always tricky when we lower pass speed. The game gets "soft", so we have to compensate with a higher chance of error and more "bobble" of the ball. Pressure to perform is created, but not in an artificial way that every player has terrible control. There is a threshold as well here for those that play with handballs on as go too high and the ball will just fly up to the players hands. Good way to get fouls, bad way to enjoy the game for the most part. If anyone tests this value in particular, pay attention to whether or not the CPU starts to play "Hot potato" where they want to get rid of the ball instantly - regardless of their position, or position of possible recipients.
-------------------

I still think any slider set that has CPU passing speed above 10 looks unrealistic. But that might just be me ;-)

I still think any slider set that has CPU passing speed above 10 looks unrealistic. But that might just be me ;-)

I think it's relevant to what value you have it paired with. For example, a pass error of 75 and pass speed of 51 is actually not bad. The CPU uses less of the driven pass due to the pass error, and the pass speed looks like a 50 to low 40's due to the poor quality. The benefit of the pass speed is that the ball doesn't move so slowly on the ground, and thus creating the ease in dispossessing the receiving player since they are still waiting to collect the ball.

FIFA 15 we finished with pass speed in the 20's because the game just moved so fast. It had to be paired with a low pass error though so the quality of the passes weren't affected. Eventually it became too easy to dispossess the receiving player.

I hear what you're saying @Matt10. I've just tailored the game to what live football looks like to me when I go and watch it.

My main aims were:
1) Introduce more risk/reward into passing.
2) More human-like reactions from AI.
3) Stop any ping-ping passing from the AI.
4) Encourage those one-on-one midfield battles that are so important.

Perhaps I should share all my settings. Here goes:

Difficulty: Legendary

SPEED: slow

ASSISTS:
Passing: semi
Through ball: manual (use for quicker, manual passes)

CAMERAS:
Default Camera: zoom 20, height 20 is my choice. But also works with Co-op. Not so good with Broadcast I think, unfortunately.

USER/CPU
10/10 Sprint Speed
51/51 Acceleration
50/50 Shot Error
50/50 Pass Error
51/51 Shot Speed
10/1 Pass Speed
64/64 Injury Frequency
4/4 Injury Severity
50/50 GK Ability
60/60 Marking
20/20 Run Frequency
60/60 Line Height
50/50 Line Length
52/52 Line Width
55/55 FB Positioning
70/70 FT Control
55 Power Bar

This mostly achieves what I set out to do for me anyway.

Last edited:
@shilts Fair enough. My point was you cannot isolate a value such as pass speed without combining it with a multitude of other values. Sliders are relevant to eachother. If you were to use pass speed of 1/1 on the OS sliders, then we'd have to compensate other values such as Sprint, Acceleration, Marking, FT Control, etc.

Came back to this game from FIFA 17 Modded and had to uninstall after 2 games. The new patch is a joke. Matt's sliders improves it a bit but the FIFA 18 CPU is so linearly attack oriented and it plays too panic end to end. I will stick with FIFA 17 Modded.

Everyone please tweet EA to get this celebration into FIFA 19. Starts at 2 mins:35 in the video below

The guy is a wigan fan and works at our place :)

I've been really enjoying the game the last few months now. I'm playing on full manual controls on legendary as West Ham in career mode. I'm playing 10 minute halves and I'm playing on Normal Speed. My enjoyment of the game has gone up tenfold since I changed to playing on Normal Speed. Everything seems more fluid and the match ebbs and flows much better. Because I'm playing on full manual, the game doesn't feel too fast or arcade.

I find using little feints and little changes of direction, particularly with players like Lanzini, feels amazing. There's definite individuality there, especially when you play a more considered game. I think the problem with Fifa is that it feels so responsive that it's tempting to try and just go forward at pace with every opportunity....which obviously results in losing the ball, which results in getting pissed off and charging round to win it back...which results in the computer pinging the ball round you. Anyway just thought I'd drop a message in because I'm surprised at the criticism. I genuinely think it's a brilliant game. It gives you all the tools to replicate the beauty of a game of football.

Good post. I'm really enjoying this after some time away primarily due to the lack of fouls. But, because FIFA 18 is so good in most other areas, I've decided to stick with it. I play on normal speed also and love the fluidity of this years game. The passing and the way players animate and move, looks and feels so much better. It's what FIFA has been missing for years. The dribbling is also the best it has ever been in a FIFA game. The animations and the little touches players take in tight spaces are excellent.

I've been really enjoying the game the last few months now. I'm playing on full manual controls on legendary as West Ham in career mode. I'm playing 10 minute halves and I'm playing on Normal Speed. My enjoyment of the game has gone up tenfold since I changed to playing on Normal Speed. Everything seems more fluid and the match ebbs and flows much better.
Good post. I'm really enjoying this after some time away primarily due to the lack of fouls. But, because FIFA 18 is so good in most other areas, I've decided to stick with it. I play on normal speed also and love the fluidity of this years game. The passing and the way players animate and move, looks and feels so much better. It's what FIFA has been missing for years. The dribbling is also the best it has ever been in a FIFA game. The animations and the little touches players take in tight spaces are excellent.
What difficulty level are you guys playing on, out of interest?

I'm desperate to enjoy the game but all I see is the AI passing forwards all the time, constantly on the attack, never playing any other way. When you're on the ball it feels great, but that's not been a problem for me over the last few years - it's the AI and how one-track-minded they are.

I'm desperate to enjoy the game but all I see is the AI passing forwards all the time, constantly on the attack, never playing any other way. When you're on the ball it feels great, but that's not been a problem for me over the last few years - it's the AI and how one-track-minded they are.

Heh heh sorry Chris but this made me laugh. You are really trying to enjoy the game. As if there is some secret level of difficulty or something that you have missed. I’m the same, i stop liking a game and then read a few positive posts and then conclude that they must be doing something different from me. I change speed, camera angle, sliders, assist settings. Heh heh. I’m even thinking of giving PES2017 another go with all the recent positive posts :)

I play on world class, full manual with all default sliders except for CPU acceleration, which I have set at 49 I believe. Seems to take a bit of sting out of the CPU's constant pressure and their zest to attack constantly. That being said, I do generally like the attacking nature of the CPU. It's their incessant pressure when I have the ball that can be a bit of a bastard sometimes.

I've finally played with the latest patch out of curiosity (rip mods, but I wasn't playing anyway, so..). Honestly despite the undeniable good there is (and there always has been since release), I can't seem to enjoy this game. I don't know if it is the rhytm or the IA or something else, I don't have a drive to play more than a game and leave it. I guess I'll keep trying here and there as with sliders and with a base that in the end isn't really this bad something good could always come out before the end of season.. but I'm not keeping my hopes really high.

Since the update i think custom team tactics have stopped working. I use those from OS. I played a team with 100 set for Passing Speed which should make them play long balls but they didnt and another with 100 for crosses and they hardly put any in. Before the patch, changing the settings before each game was having an affect but now it doesnt seem to.

Also, there are hardly any fouls now :(

It's a strange one this year as I've really enjoyed some updates and others not so much, some have felt slower and more aggressive which have been good but then they seem to change it. I didn't like pes 18 at all so I re bought 17 for a fiver and it's great. That was my game of choice last year. Also enjoy not reading loads of negative comments as not many people playing it

Thanks mate, much appreciated, You know we're all working together on this thing. Feeling good after more matches.

Here's the current beta set for Evo guys.

FIFA 18 Operation Sports Sliders | Version 8.5 Beta (1.10 Update)
World Class/Legendary, 10-15 Mins, Slow Speed
as of 3/17/18

Sprint Speed - 45/48 (from 45/45) - Need this discrepancy so the player marking the ball carrier doesn't give up too soon. The user can always start their sprint over, but the CPU is at the mercy of this setting which results in them slowing up, and often times being beaten. I believe why there is a bit more open play here - and in favor of the user.

Acceleration - 50/50 - Wanted true fatigue back. Animations seem much smoother as well since putting these back to 50.

Shot Error - 50/50 - Clarification on this one just because I had made the recommendation for 49/49, but shooting became too clinical, and still some posts hit. May have to live with it, but for now, we'll go back to 50/50 per the previous set.

Pass Error- 50/50 (from 52/52) - Pass Error gets a look here to actually help the CPU be a bit more mindful of their passing. More possession versus just going forward as quickly as possible. While this isn't the answer alone, it definitely has shown to have helped in combination of the slider set.

Shot Speed - 51/51 (from 50/50) - Very slight bump here because there were many powerful shots that were being cushioned instead of deflected. Nice to see some venomous strikes and creating that sense of anything can happen as a result. Note, pay attention to keeper save animations, in particular backward save animations (where they jump backwards to save powerful shots). This has been my hesitation with increase shot speed in the past.

Pass Speed - 48/48 (from 45/45) - update 3/7: Looking into Pass speed + Sprint Speed relevant to the DAA and Locomotion animations.

Injury Frequency - 64/64 - less players walking off the pitch, and more recovering from injuries. Credit to @mark0r .

Injury Severity - 4/4 - still plenty of severe injuries and variety of injuries. Credit to @mark0r .

GK Ability - 48/48 (from 50/50) - Lowered this just a tad to stop the ridiculous saves, but more importantly, the constant need for the GK to try to intercept every cross. If the cross is high and floaty, then sure, but if it's driven, it shouldn't mean the GK can anticipate it so quickly. Can't go too low on this value as it can result in the GK dropping underneath the flight of the ball when attempting to save.

Marking - 52/52 (previous 50/50) - Good suggestion for a slight increase here, and with the length discrepancy + change to width, we should see a bit better coverage throughout the pitch.

Run Frequency - 1/1 (previous 20/20) - As mentioned in the preview, this is just something that tends to happen no matter what. Throughout all final sliders, we always end up here. The concept is that a 50/50 RF is like a 70/70, and a 20 is like a 40, so 1 is really like a 10. If that means nothing, then consider it more so the amount of runs and the positions. I like to think that 1/1 means that 1 forward makes the streaking run, and the other makes a check to the ball run. So if you have 2/2 it's two forwards who run at a streak. Go up higher to like a 10/10, now it's an unlimited amount of players that can run on these streaks, which causes a lot of issues and that constant end-to-end action. Just a bit more hesitation is the goal here. It's not perfect, and definitely needs to be looked at. I know there are some who hate the lower run frequency and feel that handicaps the runners, but I would say give it a shot and report back your findings. As always, video of the players off the ball - and their runs - would be the best way for us to diagnose what may be going on.

Height- 60/60 (previous 55/55) - Like I said, it is a solid patch update, but it still leaves the user's defenders not meeting the attackers early enough. So, there is a necessary bump in height, length and marking. This is actually working out quite well and actually feels like all players are in-tune with where the ball is. Granted, there is not much that can be done with the driven pass to the CPU striker, but at least when it does occur, there is a defending player nearby. Did not want to raise this too high as the higher it goes, the more exposed the defensive line will be and the less the CTT's will come into play. The higher marking value alone should allow them to move forward more, so there is no need to overdue it and risk things becoming linear. The best part about this patch update is that no longer are the midfielders "pushed" out of position due to the higher height. They will now remain compressed if needed, which really looks great when the numbers are built in defense properly. Makes for a proper defensive third stand or attack - depending which side of the ball you're on of course.

Length- 42/44 (previous 42/42) - Length discrepancy makes an appearance here to help spread out the CPU players a tad defensively. DAA seems to be caused by indecision on who is going to mark the ball carrier. Get them too close (compressed) and there is more chance for confusion. Benefit of increasing length as well brings in a sense of hesitation going forward and the hope is to always signify a bit of resistance (passing lanes blocked) that the CPU can feel.

Width- 50/50 (previous 52/52) - Back and forth here, but it's tricky with each update. The DAA seems to rear its ugly head when the DMF and FB do not know who to mark, and it results in the indecision. The DMF will follow the ball carrier as far as possible, but the second they release it, the FB is is out of position. I do think the CPU's discrepancy in Sprint will help matters though as well so whoever is chasing the ball carrier, they don't give up too soon.

FB Positioning - 50/50 - FB's were getting up the pitch too quickly, and running into the midfield, not to mention being able to be found very easily with a switch ball.

FT Control - 55/55 (50/52) - Another slight bump here, and it's looking much better. Always tricky when we lower pass speed. The game gets "soft", so we have to compensate with a higher chance of error and more "bobble" of the ball. Pressure to perform is created, but not in an artificial way that every player has terrible control. There is a threshold as well here for those that play with handballs on as go too high and the ball will just fly up to the players hands. Good way to get fouls, bad way to enjoy the game for the most part. If anyone tests this value in particular, pay attention to whether or not the CPU starts to play "Hot potato" where they want to get rid of the ball instantly - regardless of their position, or position of possible recipients.
-------------------

And the video...

Most of us are not interested in the e-sport side of things but watching just a few minutes of footage can be eye opening. Here's a final played in fifa16:

It ends 0-0, both are playing on assisted and want to win but defences are hard to break down and at times it looks shockingly close to ...football. There are bad through balls that don't work for them, fouls and one guy comments under the video on the lack of dribbling 'skills' to which one replies "have you ever watched a real football match?".

Now here's a fifa18 final:
There's a ton of goals, skill moves, transition from defence to attack is fast and effortless with ping pong passing, and defending is so obviously nerfed.

And that sums up the issues most of us have with the offline game as well, doesn't it? CPU is too direct and some passes are too good, AI teammates can be crap at defending, there's too many shots in general or hitting the posts... Anyway sorry if this is offtopic, fifa18 can play a decent offline game with some tweaking, but I think it perfectly explains our limitations in trying to make it play in a way that's against it's nature/design.

Last edited:
Think the latest slider update is very good,I’ve enjoyed it a great deal.
But like the post above me says “trying to make it play in a way that’s against its nature/design” sums it up.

There’s tons of good things in this game,like AI pressure on your defenders,movement etc.
But it’s still “up to strikers ASAP” from the cpu in almost every game,also the level of cpu actually trying to shoot/score is way to low.
I’m outshooting the cpu by 15-20 shots a game if I’m sharp.

I’ve played 8-10 games on my Fifa 17 save,with @Matt10 ”hold over” set,and I’m having so much fun,that game plays fantastic,bit on the low side with free kicks,but I’ll take that,no problems.
Currently facing a relegation battle as Villa,and it’s so tense,I have to play conservative every game to pick up a few points here and there,if I try to play out of my range,I’ll get punished straight away.

Just hope that a patch that calms down fifa 18 a bit,making it slower and more patient will arrive before the end of its run

I have few questions.

Is there any way to put own chants in Fifa 18 ps4?

And can you change hairstyles from some default players like Ivan Rakitic, Paul Pogba?

I have few questions.

Is there any way to put own chants in Fifa 18 ps4?

And can you change hairstyles from some default players like Ivan Rakitic, Paul Pogba?
No and no, sorry!

In other news, got to say, playing on World Class with @Matt10's latest sliders (with a few tiny changes - acceleration reduced to 49, marking reduced to 52, line length bumped slightly and line length reduced slightly - more because I play on 7 minute halves than anything else), I'm actually enjoying the game again.

The AI seems less desperate to pass immediately forward if you set up so that your own marking is higher. It's still got none of the variety of 17 but I'm enjoying it so far (playing as Hull in the Championship, got beat 2-0 by Wolves but then beat QPR 2-1, though their goal was one of those absolutely blatant "we have to score" moments where tiki-taka was at the maximum setting around the box, until a 1-on-1 opened up).

Back
Top Bottom