FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Even if they aren't - those tactics are being entirely ignored, so what's going on? If "team styles" aren't in the beta, they should be doing something. If they ARE in the beta... They're hidden, and they totally override the tactics...

My bigger fear is that maybe "team styles" are country-wide, cos I played an MLS game with teams who have very similar tactics, and it was half the speed and with actual build-up...

The more i read about people's experiences with the Beta the more it reeks of tokenism on EA's part - they just didn't want to be in a position where they looked defensive when Konami has been so refreshingly open with its Beta this year. It probably says something about the relative confidence each company has in the innate qualities of the respective games that EA appear to have wanted to hide some of the key features it has emblazoned across its PR from its Beta. What is the point of releasing a Beta without Team Styles in it FFS??

In a way it is typical EA marketing in relation to FIFA. It has always displayed a tendency to want to control the public discussion of each iteration by limiting information to soundbites, slogans and buzz feed and leaving it at that. The hype builds itself with considerable amounts of uncritical repetition from much of the gaming press. This has changed slightly with PES building more of a profile and i hope that this continues as EA need to be shaken out its complacency. PES improving its gameplay and then its open Beta has been quite salutary in exposing EA's Soviet style management of the message by comparison. EA's Beta still looks like an exercise in only giving so much so that it cannot be accused of not moving with the times. Ironically, it seems to have backfired as they have provided a Beta devoid of the features it is marketing to actually try and get people to buy the game from what people are saying.

The development cycle for FIFA gameplay has got a bit stale this past few years as it focuses through Frostbite on how the game looks rather than how it plays. I hope that PES can push on as EA are in dire need of more inspiration and this can only come if it is has a true competitor in my view. I am not naive to think that PES will ever outsell FIFA no matter how good it is. Its an unfortunate fact of life that licences do matter to people. However, When Dave Rutter got involved with FIFA around 07/08 there was a concerted effort to actually innovate as he recognised that PES was the better game and they wanted that kudos.

I'll give the demo a go as i do every year and i hope that many of everyone's criticisms will have been addressed as we get a later build of the game to play.

What with the second player along he looks like a 40 year old kid :CONFUSE:
Jack_Robin_Williams.jpg

Just to reiterate what's already been said, that FIFA "schooldays mode" video is a mod for FIFA 17 - it is not FIFA 18...

Not meaning to defend EA here, but a friend of mine actually got bald (but like insta-bald, in less than a month) when he was 8 or so.
I know, it sucks.

Wish there were ways to hair transplant at cheap price like 50 $

Anyway, is there anything interesting about FiFA 18's story mode? I thought I saw something like Icon story in one of the FiFA 18 video? What was it? A story mode for legend players or something?

Apparently team styles will be built in a team and you cannot change it unless you edit the .db files.
Urghhhhhhh. So when every researcher sets their team to tiki-taka, there's nothing we can do about it. Great idea!

Is that an official response, though?

EDIT: It plays into my theory that all the teams in the beta currently have "team styles" applied, but it's an invisible thing. Hence Tottenham playing like a Sunday League team, hoofing balls forward (but with laser accuracy due to their stats), contrary to their "team tactics" settings. In which case - there is literally no point in them any more, for AI teams...

Last edited:
FIFA for online....pes for single player

can't play FIFA career mode long it's too shallow

This year things could be different but if stoke city play like 2011 Barcelona again then I am switching it straight off

Urghhhhhhh. So when every researcher sets their team to tiki-taka, there's nothing we can do about it. Great idea!

Is that an official response, though?

EDIT: It plays into my theory that all the teams in the beta currently have "team styles" applied, but it's an invisible thing. Hence Tottenham playing like a Sunday League team, hoofing balls forward (but with laser accuracy due to their stats), contrary to their "team tactics" settings. In which case - there is literally no point in them any more, for AI teams...

We will have to wait for FIFA 19 before those things are visible and changeable and will be introduced as a new feature. FFS FIFA.

Guys, please tell me, maybe you know the answer to this question.

What the hell EA Sports group do with the night game lighting?

maxresdefault.jpg

Are they watching football on the tele? Why the lighting is getting worse every year? Can they finally switch the floodlights ON? Do they pay the bills for it privately?

Why the hell it still looks like the match is played under the street lamps?

Because of that, this game becomes unplayable for me, personally.

Look EA, look..

pes20181.jpg

I know, FUT players don't care about how the floodlights' power :-)

Last edited:
Holy shit, I've not read a preview as damning as this for a while (from a PES fan too, whose opinion I'd be inclined to trust more than the guys in the other previews I've posted who admit to being big FIFA fans)...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fifa-18-continues-to-strive-for-realism-but-at-a-c/1100-6450687/
Just re-read this (looking for the producer's "defending has to be the way it is", i.e. broken, remark) and realised that it's exactly how I feel about the beta - even down to dribbling being just as clunky as ever, despite others disagreeing! No confidence that the retail code will be any better.

Guys, please tell me, maybe you know the answer to this question.

What the hell EA Sports group do with the night game lighting?

maxresdefault.jpg

Are they watching football on the tele? Why the lighting is getting worse every year? Can they finally switch the floodlights ON? Do they pay the bills for it privately?

Why the hell it still looks like the match is played under the street lamps?

Because of that, this game becomes unplayable for me, personally.

Look EA, look..

pes20181.jpg

I know, FUT players don't care about how the floodlights' power :-)
The contrast of mow pattern in FiFA is better though. Mix the lighting from PES and contrast of mow pattern from FiFA= Perfect.

Gamescom starts this weekend? surely we will hear more then about the final details of the game. I hope they move the demo too. I have a suspicion PES will go all out and release it next week for gamescom

The demo won't be the final version and will be the code from the beta. EA are still tweaking and working on the gameplay as we speak. Yesterday all editors from the database had to change a certain specific attribute in reference to the overall rating so the gameplay would become more realistic. I haven't played the demo or beta so I don't know if the game is any good. All I can say is that they are still working on it. Hope they nail it.

here's a little story i created in my mind, "called reality"
a average football gamer like him "a kid" looks for a new footy game. He sees PES and FIFA. FIFA has a lot more licensing and presentation. He buys FIFA. Why because he's a kid and FIFA just looks cool to him. End of story.
We seem to forget what sells games. It's not game-play, it's looks from new technology. FIFA as a package just looks more updated.

a average football gamer like him "a kid" looks for a new footy game. He sees PES and FIFA. FIFA has a lot more licensing and presentation. He buys FIFA. Why because he's a kid and FIFA just looks cool to him. End of story.
We seem to forget what sells games. It's not game-play, it's looks from new technology. FIFA as a package just looks more updated.
That video is horrible. FIFA 18 isn't doing it for me from what I have read and seen so far.

I think we can all agree that everyone's 'reality' is different. If I was a kid, and I saw this video, id steer clear... and go for what looks and plays more realistic. Pes 2018 videos (apart from some of the ways people play this game), looks much better this year. Fifa needs better player physics, better running animations (pes used to be bad but they seem so much improved this year), and of course bigger balls!!! A part of the 'package' is the 'realism', not just presentation and licencing. In 'reality', if I was a kid (still am), an average football gamer (I consider myself much more than this), id go for pes 2018.. and am!!! Will I play both demo's?? yes...but my mind is already made up.

Back
Top Bottom