FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Okay, a friend of mine got onto the beta and I've played for a few hours last night, a few hours this morning, and a lot of hours this evening. Don't want to get him in trouble, so I'm not posting videos etc. publicly. But.

I've got to be blunt - I'm not seeing any major differences at all. I'm hard-pressed to see ANY difference (other than graphically). I've played a few games with lower league teams, knowing how ridiculous the pass accuracy is in 17 (smaller teams do shorter passes and therefore have the best pass accuracy) - I was hoping it'd change, but...

tUv67pB.jpg

kxIuly4.jpg

My only hope is that this beta isn't anywhere close to the final code - and there's a case to be made for that. The "hard tackle" button mentioned in all of the previews isn't there - the "team personalities" mentioned in all of the previews isn't there - the new crossing system they've made videos of isn't there (not for me, anyway)...

It feels almost fishy, to me - how are we this close to release, and those KEY new features aren't there?

Either way, the PES 2018 beta absolutely crushed this on the pitch (and honestly, I'm devastated, because it'll be a month before PES is ready to play from an option file point of view, and the Master League will bore me to death again, and the graphics - WOW I'll miss FIFA's graphics).

The midfield, across every difficulty (Pro to Legendary), doesn't exist. More than ever, the AI passes straight to strikers, who dribble around you like you're not there.

Even defending - my most hated part of 17 - is terrible, if not worse. As @talucchesi has said - if you don't get the ball with a slide tackle, you're not getting the ball. Your player seems to be guided around the striker. In the PES beta, if you needed to shut the opponents out, you could change to a defensive set-up, keep positioning tight and GRIND out a clean sheet through sheer concentration. In this FIFA beta, that's impossible. Players wander out of position, including CBs who I've had sprinting to the sides of a box for no reason, and when you try to pressure someone, you cannot force them into the opponent - you can't control them, they refuse to go head-on with the opponent and slip to the side of them instead, letting the guy through your defence like a greased pig.

The graphics are incredible - scoring a goal and seeing the crowd run towards you is really special. Oh, and World Class / Legendary is way harder now (though it feels to me like that's just because you have no control over your defenders). That's honestly all the good I can say about it...

No bipolar thoughts here - don't like it at all. I'm hoping that this beta - considering all the missing features - is some weird mistake. (Why release a beta without all the stuff your PR talks about?)
offensive football game it is. They all want goals by the dozen. I'm curious to play the demo so i can see these graphics. Not seeing these great graphics watching these videos.

Okay, a friend of mine got onto the beta and I've played for a few hours last night, a few hours this morning, and a lot of hours this evening. Don't want to get him in trouble, so I'm not posting videos etc. publicly. But.

I've got to be blunt - I'm not seeing any major differences at all. I'm hard-pressed to see ANY difference (other than graphically). I've played a few games with lower league teams, knowing how ridiculous the pass accuracy is in 17 (smaller teams do shorter passes and therefore have the best pass accuracy) - I was hoping it'd change, but...

tUv67pB.jpg

kxIuly4.jpg

My only hope is that this beta isn't anywhere close to the final code - and there's a case to be made for that. The "hard tackle" button mentioned in all of the previews isn't there - the "team personalities" mentioned in all of the previews isn't there - the new crossing system they've made videos of isn't there (not for me, anyway)...

It feels almost fishy, to me - how are we this close to release, and those KEY new features aren't there?

Either way, the PES 2018 beta absolutely crushed this on the pitch (and honestly, I'm devastated, because it'll be a month before PES is ready to play from an option file point of view, and the Master League will bore me to death again, and the graphics - WOW I'll miss FIFA's graphics).

The midfield, across every difficulty (Pro to Legendary), doesn't exist. More than ever, the AI passes straight to strikers, who dribble around you like you're not there.

Even defending - my most hated part of 17 - is terrible, if not worse. As @talucchesi has said - if you don't get the ball with a slide tackle, you're not getting the ball. Your player seems to be guided around the striker. In the PES beta, if you needed to shut the opponents out, you could change to a defensive set-up, keep positioning tight and GRIND out a clean sheet through sheer concentration. In this FIFA beta, that's impossible. Players wander out of position, including CBs who I've had sprinting to the sides of a box for no reason, and when you try to pressure someone, you cannot force them into the opponent - you can't control them, they refuse to go head-on with the opponent and slip to the side of them instead, letting the guy through your defence like a greased pig.

The graphics are incredible - scoring a goal and seeing the crowd run towards you is really special. Oh, and World Class / Legendary is way harder now (though it feels to me like that's just because you have no control over your defenders). That's honestly all the good I can say about it...

No bipolar thoughts here - don't like it at all. I'm hoping that this beta - considering all the missing features - is some weird mistake. (Why release a beta without all the stuff your PR talks about?)
thanks for feedback

I hate the defending mechanic in recent fifas it simply doesn't work properly it's a game of chance/lucky moment

Pes nails defending

I want this to be good but I can't handle another FIFA where emphasis is on attack and not build up play or defending

ea, not everyone is a FUT addict and wants 5-3 full time score lines

Hi ! I am french and as you know it the FIFA 18 Beta is exclusively directed to uk and us users. I would like to test the beta but it is impossible for us. If someone who has received a PS4 FIFA 18 Beta code and does not use it I would be glad to receive it. Hope to receive one. Sorry for my poor english. I hope you understand. Thanks for all

thanks for feedback

I hate the defending mechanic in recent fifas it simply doesn't work properly it's a game of chance/lucky moment

Pes nails defending

I want this to be good but I can't handle another FIFA where emphasis is on attack and not build up play or defending

ea, not everyone is a FUT addict and wants 5-3 full time score lines
in Fifa, if you perform a skill move can you defend it? or is that player while in a skill move in another dimension?

Spent pretty much the whole weekend playing this. It's 1:30am now. I've been trying to find ways I can like it, trying to see good things.

I went through a load of teams looking for a team that used short build-up play as their tactics. The best example I could find was Sevilla. They have 30 set for the pass length, and 30s across the build-up play section. So judging by the tactics, they should play a slower game, with build-up.

I'm not kidding - on Professional, World Class and Legendary, when they win the ball in defence, they hit an 80-yard flat smash of a pass to the striker, every, single, time.

Even 17 isn't like that. It's direct, but there's way more variety in tactics - and 17 is a game where you can't really tell teams apart, so that tells you how bad this is.

The midfield just isn't used - it's a direct ball to the striker, and if he's surrounded, THEN he'll pass back (usually to a winger).

I've also seen three goals tonight where the goalscorer hit the ball by kicking through his own leg - which I've seen in 17 countless times. I was hoping that would be gone by now.

Frostbite is the worst thing to ever happen to FIFA. The presentation is amazing but even so, the faces look like they're straight out of Wallace & Gromit, and more to the point, the gameplay has suffered terribly.

I keep thinking to myself, surely this beta has just been to show off graphics - because there's so much missing that they've spoken about in their PR - but it doesn't make any sense to make a beta where the gameplay is 17 but worse.

So disappointing but the only way to hurt EA is vote with your wallet similar happened to Activision with Call of Duty and they listened to the fans and brought out what look set to be a COD back to it former glory.

I was going to pick up this year Fifa just for the journey mode but might just wait until it cheap now.

So disappointing but the only way to hurt EA is vote with your wallet similar happened to Activision with Call of Duty and they listened to the fans and brought out what look set to be a COD back to it former glory.

I was going to pick up this year Fifa just for the journey mode but might just wait until it cheap now.
I'm still hoping that this beta was just to show off graphics or something - because it makes NO SENSE to drum up "team personalities" in the PR and then have this never-ending direct play from every team, on every difficulty level.

There's broken promises, and there's making something worse for no reason... The new tackle button mentioned in all the previews isn't there either. Something seems really fishy about these betas.

Last edited:
It's not Frostbite's fault you know? This horrible gameplay is aimed for FUT users obviously. If they were determined to make good gameplay, they could do it in Frostbite engine.

Just look at Fox engine, I never thought it would be suitable for Football, but now its polished.

@Chris Davies how is the dribbling response? Is it fluid and fast as FiFA 16? Or is it slow and laggy as FiFA 17?

@Chris Davies how is the dribbling response? Is it fluid and fast as FiFA 16? Or is it slow and laggy as FiFA 17?
If you mean dribbling as in, left-stick dribbling using no shoulder buttons (I don't do "tricks" and all that, I don't have the mental capacity to cope with the combos), it's the same as 17, in this beta.

The thing is everyone will moan about FIFA yet still buy it.

I know I probably will.

FIFA 17 was a hideous game. Why can't they just build on FIFA 14 which is very good!! ?

EA seem to only be concerned about matchday presentation, revenue from FUT and recycling features. Gameplay mechanics don't need to be refined,they need to be reinvented. In it's current state, gameplay lacks depth, excitement and above all fun.

If you mean dribbling as in, left-stick dribbling using no shoulder buttons (I don't do "tricks" and all that, I don't have the mental capacity to cope with the combos), it's the same as 17, in this beta.
Thats very sad to know. So its yet another sluggish mess.

Is PES 18 beta more responsive than FiFA 18? Yes I mean the left stick dribbling without any shoulder buttons or tricks.

Is PES 18 beta more responsive than FiFA 18? Yes I mean the left stick dribbling without any shoulder buttons or tricks.
If I'm within a foot of an AI defender on the FIFA beta, they're getting the ball off me. Attempting to dribble results in me clumsily kicking the ball into them.

On the PES beta, I managed to beat a man with the left stick dribble a few times, but it's not really fair to compare the two because it was playing online, against another person, with lag preventing them from being able to defend it instantly.

Apparently I am hearing on the FIFA Forums that the team id feature will be removed and the AI will be reverted back to FIFA 17 because they can't get it to work properly. So the demo and the full version build will be almost the same as the BETA build. Also you cannot ever re-negotiate with a player after a failed negotiation attempt.

Kinda lost hope now. So reading reddit comments it seems like People like the laggy unresponsive dribbling of FiFA 17 because its realistic.

I guess its realistic. But its not fun at all. Wish there were sliders to decrease input delay.

Apparently I am hearing on the FIFA Forums that the team id feature will be removed and the AI will be reverted back to FIFA 17 because they can't get it to work properly.
Er. What?

Is this based on comments from an official source?

Because on the FIFA 18 website's features page, "Team Styles" is still listed, and is still written as a separate feature to team tactics.

F8qLtJG.png

If that's gone, they need to update their PR. Surely it's a big problem for them otherwise (frankly, I'd like it to be, given that it's the only reason I've been looking forward to this game, and custom tactics are more pointless than ever).

Why would you believe a random poster on ea forums? Unless it's someone of the dev team.

Could you link to the discussion were they say Team Styles will be removed?

It was removed by EA so I think it was fake and they are indeed adding it.
As long as that's why, and not because it's close to the truth.

Either way, it's not in the beta, and with that being the case (plus the new tackle button that previews mentioned being missing), I'm really confused.

You would imagine the code that the preview guys played would be the same as the beta code, or that the beta code is later, if anything. Yet the stuff they talk about in the previews isn't there.

I'm hoping that they patch the beta - or, at the very least, that the demo is closer to retail code and has all of these missing features.

I can't get access to the FIFA 18 beta forums, but I really, really hope someone has noticed the missing features - and possibly even more importantly, the AI just booting the ball from defence to attack no matter what their tactics - because more than anything, I'd just like to know why it's like this.

Last edited:
Phew.

Either way, it's not in the beta, and with that being the case (plus the new tackle button that previews mentioned being missing), I'm really confused.

You would imagine the code that the preview guys played would be the same as the beta code, or that the beta code is later, if anything. Yet the stuff they talk about in the previews isn't there.

I'm hoping that they patch the beta - or, at the very least, that the demo is closer to retail code and has all of these missing features.

I can't get access to the FIFA 18 beta forums, but I really, really hope someone has noticed the missing features - and possibly even more importantly, the AI just booting the ball from defence to attack no matter what their tactics - because more than anything, I'd just like to know why it's like this.

The whole Fifa forums right now is comparing FIFA between PES and how they want to move to PES this year because the BETA was crappy. Other than that, people did notice the lack of features and whenever they post anything regarding that, the post gets removed from a moderator. So I am pretty sure the demo will have those features and they are still working on it to improve the AI.

The whole Fifa forums right now is comparing FIFA between PES and how they want to move to PES this year because the BETA was crappy. Other than that, people did notice the lack of features and whenever they post anything regarding that, the post gets removed from a moderator. So I am pretty sure the demo will have those features and they are still working on it to improve the AI.
I really hope so - but then what's the point of the beta if any feedback on gameplay is realistically going to be null and void, because it's all going to be dramatically different by the time of the demo (or at least, you'd hope so, given that custom tactics do nothing in this beta and every team plays the same way)?

Was it a server test more than anything else? I can't imagine so, because there were offline versions of the beta. Was it to look for bugs? But if the code is going to be changed before release, those bugs may not occur (and there may be lots of new ones), so I can't see it being that either.

Or, was it just to generate some hype? Perhaps driven by PES getting hype from its own beta? But they don't care about PES, it doesn't significantly affect their sales.

I just can't wrap my head around it.

Hahahaaa, so the "orbit" camera from replays is now a feature (just because - I'm assuming - you can use it outside of replay mode, though I don't think you can in the beta)?! Yikes!

I was desperately hoping that "Frostbite engine year two" - especially seeing as it had been worked on for two years prior to FIFA 17's release - would be a big year for gameplay fixes. But here we are, championing camera angles as features, and players are still scoring by kicking through their own legs...

Back
Top Bottom