FIFA 18 DEMO - REVIEWS & OPINIONS

Meant to say, and I keep repeating to myself that presentation is pointless, but.

A deflection fell to Mkhitaryan at the edge of the area last night, and I smashed at it, completely mishitting the shot, but the ball stayed in play and flew to the winger.

There was an ironic cheer (i.e. "waheyyyyyyyy") from the crowd.

They did that when missing by a wide margin in last year's game, but I don't recall them doing it for mishits.

They're going into overdrive with the presentation - and I know it doesn't matter. But. You can't help but "wow".
Yep the presentation is incredible

Demo felt alright,not gonna compare etc.
But here's my biggest issue,and it's not a gameplay one.
Lightning!
Did notice it yesterday, wrote about it,now I'm watching Feyenoord Vs City,and it's miles away from any real and proper night lightning.
Looks absolutely horrible.
How hard can it be?
Looks has to be the easiest thing to fix

Otherwise,might give this a buy,since I skipped the last edition

I do love how those slating the game and stating they'll "never buy this" or "it's the worst I've played" still continue to post and slate, hour after hour, day after day. If you don't like it, just exit the thread, toddle off to a PES thread or even a game that you quite like, and comment on how much better it is than the FIFA franchise. What's the point of continuously slating a game in a thread? You get nothing from it, surely? Posting positive comments is beneficial for those wanting to buy a game or finding out new features, but the negative comments are purely your own opinions and when you weight them up in this thread alone, the positive feedback completely outweights the negatives.

If you don't like the game, why bother coming in the thread to whinge about it? Go out and do something more productive. That's not a diss or being argumentative, it's common sense.
Meh same thing happens in the PES thread.

Haven't played this demo yet life is just too hectic. Itching to try it as I am hearing good things particularly on presentation

Yes can't EA just increase the pitch brightness and be done with it?

I dont like using reshade and sweetfx that much. Because it destroys the other colors when fixing one particular color. And there are also added performance hit. I couldn't even use my keyboard when I used reshade in FiFA 17.

I play in dynamic camera and my God, the grass gets more darker with that camera D:

its very early but loving the fun of playing this. scored a cracking lukaku header off the bar and in and it felt superb. looks awesome even before xbox one x update. very happy. time will tell though

It's weird that the PES Beta was great and the demo wasn't. With FIFA it's the exact opposite, I Didn't like the Beta but the Demo feels much better.

I do love how those slating the game and stating they'll "never buy this" or "it's the worst I've played" still continue to post and slate, hour after hour, day after day. If you don't like it, just exit the thread, toddle off to a PES thread or even a game that you quite like, and comment on how much better it is than the FIFA franchise. What's the point of continuously slating a game in a thread? You get nothing from it, surely? Posting positive comments is beneficial for those wanting to buy a game or finding out new features, but the negative comments are purely your own opinions and when you weight them up in this thread alone, the positive feedback completely outweights the negatives.

If you don't like the game, why bother coming in the thread to whinge about it? Go out and do something more productive. That's not a diss or being argumentative, it's common sense.
So spamming positives is beneficiary for consumers,the negative purely personal preference?
I would say both are equally important,otherwise it's dangerously close to being a sect.
But spamming how much you hate this and that,and doing it over and over again?
Totally agree.
But a thread needs both sides,we consumers needs both sides.
But I see what you're coming from,agree on a lot,we had a shit storm of spammers trolls in the Pes thread
Gets old quite fast

Apart from Night grass, the graphics look very neat and smooth, the dusk is looking good aswell:

fifa18_demo.exe_Screenshot_2017.09.13_-_21.57.34.60.png

Absolutely stunning.

Since FiFA 11, all the lighting and grass color settings were in .fxo format untill FiFA 16. But no one was able to mod those files, I don't think anyone tried.
File structure changed in FiFA 17, so hopefully once Frosty tool is ready, people can finally edit those shaders and make the pitch bright again.

I gotta be honest, it is genuinely amazing and the amount of work gone into this has shocked me, I've waited over 10 years for Konami to make football games great again and EA have just done it.

Yes I feel the game speed and acceleration of players is too high but on the pitch it's just made PES 2018 so outdated I literally have zero interest in playing it anymore, just wow.

I gotta be honest, it is genuinely amazing and the amount of work gone into this has shocked me, I've waited over 10 years for Konami to make football games great again and EA have just done it.

Yes I feel the game speed and acceleration of players is too high but on the pitch it's just made PES 2018 so outdated I literally have zero interest in playing it anymore, just wow.

:LMAO:

The more i play it, the more some stuff is starting to bug me.

First of all the lighting. As many have said already, it's too damn dark in some stadiums. Santiago Bernabeu at night looks horrible.
Then i played in la bonboniera and the colors looked very dull and washed out.
In another stadium the colors are looking great, but during replays they look washed out again.
Seems that the game has problems when it switches from playing in shadows to playing in full light...definately something is wrong with the lighting.

Another thing is that the game plays great, but it's so chaotic / frantic. Might just be my slow reactions, but i feel i could use some more time on the ball.

It is an improvement over 17, but not sure i'm going to buy this just yet.

The more i play it, the more some stuff is starting to bug me.

Another thing is that the game plays great, but it's so chaotic / frantic. Might just be my slow reactions, but i feel i could use some more time on the ball.

Yeah I genuinely can't remember or bring up any football game ever made that isn't like this. You don't seem to get any time on the ball, even back to the days of SWOS, Striker and Super Soccer. There aren't many football games at all, if any, that are simulation based rather than arcade. So it's all a bit rushed on the field due to the clock ticking being magnified.

My team tactics (MU- CITY)

jBmqZFL.jpg

dU2MX9G.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

LS-RS: stay central/target/agressive/press

LAM - RAM: come back/edge/free roam/agressive
CM: stay back/stay edge/agressive/stick

RWB's: overlap/agressive
CB's: join/agressive

LbmSMFN.jpg

8QQ1LWd.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS
LW - stay forward/cut in/get behind/get in the box/conserv
ST - central/target/conserv/press
RW - come back/balance/balance/balance/norm

LCM: get forward/get in the box/agressive/free roam
RCM: balance/balance/agressive/stick
CDM: balance/agressive/stay back

LB: balance/agressive
CB's: stay back/agressive
RB: overlap/agressive

Its still a bit feels like that they went the opposite way. The AI is much more direct. Maybe that could be reduced by the run frequency. And i dont really see long shots from the AI...

Altough a big con which only now i can put my finger on it....this Fifa doesnt have that much ragdoll feeling when controlling the players.

Last edited:
You don't seem to get any time on the ball
The AI does seem to press a hell of a lot, doesn't it? Combined with that, I find players seem to take a lot of touches before disposing of the ball with regular passes, unless you have directed the next pass before the player has even received it, or are using the power pass button.

Not sure I like this aspect but maybe it's a batter of learning each player's preferred passing foot too?

Played the game a bit more last night and it is starting to grow on me more, although it still feels very scripted and a lot of the time I don't feel much in control of passes and through balls.

But least I have managed to suss the game out quickly and return to be able to dominate games.

Beat Man Utd last night with PSG 2-0 after having 65% possession, but took a few games to learn how to dominate the play again and get used to the over scripted passing and through balls.

The following game beat PSG with Man City 3-0 with 72% possession.

Shooting seems to be quite overpowered at the moment, but am sure it can be fixed with sliders. Hopefully they will tone it down a bit in the full game.

I do like the shooting. It translates very well in the sense that it does match the input you give.
I just currently feel that too many shots go in, and long rangers are very easy to score.

With sliders you can adjust shot power and accuracy, or increase goalie stats so I'm sure it will level out.

My biggest problem is how direct the AI is. Which was my biggest complaint about the beta (and I uploaded a video of it).

Love almost everything else, but. The AI just wants to get the ball to a striker. Any "team styles" or custom tactics seem to be of secondary importance. Unfortunately, EA spoke of making the AI more direct (and "less boring" or words to that effect). So I can't see it changing.

My biggest problem is how direct the AI is. Which was my biggest complaint about the beta (and I uploaded a video of it).

Love almost everything else, but. The AI just wants to get the ball to a striker. Any "team styles" or custom tactics seem to be of secondary importance. Unfortunately, EA spoke of making the AI more direct (and "less boring" or words to that effect). So I can't see it changing.

That is quite unfortunate as that is exactly what creates this end to end "hey look we are all high on speed" kind of feeling. Such a shame really as like you said : everything else is great. The pace right now is just so high that i find myself having trouble keeping up.

Maybe on slow it will be better, let's wait and see.

they pretty much wiped out possession football, you cant even make the teams play like that with custom tactics. which is sad as everything is worked perfectly and balanced in FIFA 17. they should have just properly set up the tactics for 18 instead changing a bunch of codes

I quite like that change though. I'm coming from FIFA 2016 and the AI constantly passes back when they get around the penalty area instead of just swinging balls in.

Back
Top Bottom