FIFA 18 DEMO - REVIEWS & OPINIONS

Well, it's still FIFA. It feels a bit slower.

When using DirectX 12, forcing VSync in the Nvidia driver doesn't work. I'm not sure whether this is a Windows problem, a Nvidia problem or a FIFA problem.

Last edited:
HDR looks pants on mine.

I've had to disable it and the game looks stunning. With HDR it looks so washed out.

Could be my TV, but HZD worked no problem. I have Samsung KS7000 if anyone has any tips.

Just tried it, feels very good ..ive pre ordered pes and feel ing I might have jumped to soon..one question I have is fifa unlocked my hdr game mode on my 4k tv even though I don't have a ps4 pro ..looks very good..will pes do the same ? I thought her game mode was unlocked by the ps4 pro not the application

ALL PS4 consoles support HDR if the game supports it, it's not solely limited to just the Pro versions.

*Thank god the left stick dribbling is more responsive than FiFA 17 and 14. It doesn't feel that laggy anymore.

I've noticed few things:

*Dx 12 API doesn't let you force Vsync via Nvidia Control panel. But during cutscenes it does lock framerate to its refresh rate and there are no screen tears, it looks smooth.
But during gameplay, famerate gets uncapped and everything starts tearing and looks unsmooth as shit.

^ Only way to stop that is by using 60 FPS lock in game settings. But that will lock cutscenes to 30 FPS.

So I just switched back to Dx11 API and everything looks same. But now Vsync is working properly and gameplay is lokced to 60 FPS [Or whatever refresh rate you set] and its looking smooth.

I'll test more and see what happens. It looks more like a Nvidia Driver issue than Dx12 issue since it happens with all other Dx12 games. I don't know if there are any differences between Dx12 and 11 performance. I'll test it.

*LODS are still horrible during gameplay. Hopefully Fidel finds a way to hack LODs just like FiFA 17.

*So far AI didn't commit any fouls. But since the game is responsive now, it feels better, it feels more like FiFA 16.

Two games. Really like it. Lost twice. Hazard destroyed me. Lost posession 60 40 in that game as Atleti. Then dominated posession vs Juve, and Higuain punished me in the box. I pressed hard and they got me on the counter from a Cuadrado cross to Dybala, he chested it down and scored.

*Thank god the left stick dribbling is more responsive than FiFA 17 and 14. It doesn't feel that laggy anymore.

I've noticed few things:

*Dx 12 API doesn't let you force Vsync via Nvidia Control panel. But during cutscenes it does lock framerate to its refresh rate and there are no screen tears, it looks smooth.
But during gameplay, famerate gets uncapped and everything starts tearing and looks unsmooth as shit.

^ Only way to stop that is by using 60 FPS lock in game settings. But that will lock cutscenes to 30 FPS.

So I just switched back to Dx11 API and everything looks same. But now Vsync is working properly and gameplay is lokced to 60 FPS [Or whatever refresh rate you set] and its looking smooth.

I'll test more and see what happens. It looks more like a Nvidia Driver issue than Dx12 issue since it happens with all other Dx12 games. I don't know if there are any differences between Dx12 and 11 performance. I'll test it.

*LODS are still horrible during gameplay. Hopefully Fidel finds a way to hack LODs just like FiFA 17.

*So far AI didn't commit any fouls. But since the game is responsive now, it feels better, it feels more like FiFA 16.

Yeah, that's true about DX12. I've selected this option in settings and was quite surprised the game was stuttering even in menu. I'm playing on GTX 1070 which should handle DX12 without any issues. What is the difference between DX11 and 12 on FIFA? Graphically it looks same? Am I wrong?

EDIT:

SweetFX needed ASAP!

the reason why the pitch colour looks dull is because on those stadiums the season/weather is set on autumn/winter settings, if you play in LA you see the lush green grass in summer

Not really a FIFA guy,even though I play alot of FIFA 16,skipped 17, absolutely hated that demo.
This one is much better,more fluid,played Juve Vs Real (I think?),world class,good CPU pass %
Plays well,a bit stiff in movement but compared to 17 demo,miles better.Nigh games looks horrible,the ball??
Pace very good.
Looks like you'll have a good game this year

Yeah, that's true about DX12. I've selected this option in settings and was quite surprised the game was stuttering even in menu. I'm playing on GTX 1070 which should handle DX12 without any issues. What is the difference between DX11 and 12 on FIFA? Graphically it looks same? Am I wrong?

EDIT:

SweetFX needed ASAP!
Minor stutters in loading screen. Everything else was fine with Dx12.

But I did get some drops to 58 FPS (which caused stutters) when I was rotating camera on instant replay on that dusk stadium. Maybe it was random but it didnt happen at dx11 the next time I started FiFA 18.

My settings are:

2880x1800
Ultra
2x Msaa
No limit on FPS.

Vsync forced via driver along with tripple buffering.

Also, locked FPS to 60 using RTSS to avoid frame queuing which would add additional input lag. (New beta version of RTSS works with FiFA 17 and 18).

At the moment, Dx12 is useless because it makes gameplay unsmooth. Gives me 250 Fps and everything looks unsmooth.

ff.jpg
the reason why the pitch colour looks dull is because on those stadiums the season/weather is set on autumn/winter settings, if you play in LA you see the lush green grass in summer

correct tried it on la stadium on ps4 looks great with full hdr colour no longer faded. love the sun lighting on that stadium as well ..

Last edited:
This game looks really weird at times the lighting is all over the place..

It's definitely heavier and slower which is great. BUT it still has that chaotic 'fifa' feeling.

The more I play the less I like it. Will try it with a fresh outlook tomorrow

Oh by the way, night lighting looks bright during cutscenes.

But when it switches to gameplay camera, everything becomes dark. It doesn't look that bad but only if they bumped up the brightness a bit.

Also there are noticeable improvements on the cloth physics. Cloths seem to shake more and looks beautiful. Better than Pes in this regard.

Lighting on Player looks good at night. Only the pitch is an issue. Floodlights seemed to be improved over the ones I saw in beta.

The gameplay feels balanced and fast enough for bein fluid even on normal. Maybe some will take it negatively but I think its good.

They seemed to improve the switch version too. Cloth similation is finally added on switch (it is not good as Ps4 and only has 3 crease textures like ps3. But it is there finally). That bad pitch color is gone too. And 3d grass is there. Match intro animations were from ps3 though. But it feels more solid than ps3 (unless they improve that too).

ok first I really want to ask guys in EA what demo have they released? are they serious??? this is by far best football game i ever played! that passing, that shooting, keeper reactions soo life like and real. I hope they won't screw up the game with patches. maybe this game looks visually like fifa 17 but you won't feel the difference until you have controller in your hands. playing full manual is joy, that short passes and player animations... players have weight and look soo real. I know fifa fan boys will say that defending is broken but actually is rewarding and have learning curve, you have to predict movement of the opponent to get the ball which is like in real life. for the first time in last years game is tight, palyers have individuality once they have the ball and is evident a lot. and most rewarding thing, shooting... can't belive how good it is... and when you score the look of the net wow... hands down ea, well done!!! graphics will be even better in full game for sure... can't belive what game I have played. can't wait to play game on slow with lowered acceleration of the players to get more life like game. btw these words are from someone who played pes for whole life...

I'm looking forward to getting it and playing tonight after a reunion with some old friends.
Also, would love to get my friend Chris Davies comments on this demo!

been playing since 7pm, the king is back , this is the best football game ive played in a long long time, well done EA , just the vast array of options too here is amazing, currently using these camera settings and im loving it

tele broadcast
custom
camera height 5
camera zoom 3
pro camera zoom 10
pro camera speed 10
pro camera swing 10

this will only get better for me when i learn how to actually play properly (currently on professional setting)

happy days

They seemed to improve the switch version too. Cloth similation is finally added on switch (it is not good as Ps4 and only has 3 crease textures like ps3. But it is there finally). That bad pitch color is gone too. And 3d grass is there. Match intro animations were from ps3 though. But it feels more solid than ps3 (unless they improve that too).

Where did you download Switch demo from? Thanks

+ dribbling is very improved
+ player ID as well
+ cpu plays much much more natural
+ player instructions and custom tactics work again

- ball is too fast and accurate for shooting and passing (sliders ;) )
- keepers a bit overpowered (sliders;) )
- there is a bit too much space in the midfield (sliders ;) )
- game is DARK as heck..?? whats up with the lighting and color palette with Frostbite?

And Ronaldo looks fab!
v8SjAmi.jpg

+ dribbling is very improved
+ player ID as well
+ cpu plays much much more natural
+ player instructions and custom tactics work again

- ball is too fast and accurate for shooting and passing (sliders ;) )
- keepers a bit overpowered (sliders;) )
- there is a bit too much space in the midfield (sliders ;) )
- game is DARK as heck..?? whats up with the lighting and color palette with Frostbite?

And Ronaldo looks fab!
v8SjAmi.jpg

its the HDR, if you turn it off on the PS4 settings it gets much brighter and more colourful

This will be a quick one: Just played 6 games. I didn't expect the game to be as good as it is.
I don't like the graphics as much as PES', but the gameplay is definetely good.
If only player models were good, and their body postures weren't so Frankeinsteinish...

I get the feeling that anything can happen on the pitch. Really liking it. Will have a blast later tonight.

BTW this is how I have it set up:

upload_2017-9-12_20-37-28.png

The demo gameplay feeels so scripted. The AI has been dumbed down for it to be a goal fest. I play on world class on Fifa 17 and very much struggled with wining against the AI. In the demo the world class difficulty was a walk in the park , won all my matches with big margins. Adjusted the difficulty to legendary but still easil winning the matches. So EA have definitely adjusted the AI difficulty for the demo. In one of the matches, AI Aguero misses a penalty at 90th min and I counter and with James score a goal on the other end of the pitch. Felt so phoney cliched hollywood drama, no joy. By the way I didn't save the penalty, it hit the woodwork, go figure!

Back
Top Bottom