FIFA 17 - PC Discussion

Are there any screenshots or something of how it looks without it?

Not sure what you mean? Normally you can't see a player's stats/ovr until you've scouted them or they're "world class", with it you can see the stats and ovr of every single player (and of course bid on them without scouting them first).

Oh.. when you said "fog of war" I thought you were being ironic about the amount of fog effect FIFA uses even when it's not supposed to.

Oh.. when you said "fog of war" I thought you were being ironic about the amount of fog effect FIFA uses even when it's not supposed to.

LOL no sorry, it's the "concept" in some games that you cannot see all information until the fog of war has been lifted ;) I'm not sure if it's the right expression for Fifa but it's what I used since the days they implemented the moronic scouting system (which fortunately in previous PC Fifa was easy to remove in the file gtndatareveal.csv by changing "FamousPlayerIntRep" to 1)

So after playing pes for the last 9 months I finally got fed up with it ..had a few goes on FIFA bit just couldn't get into it..once I stopped completely with pes and give FIFA a chance with latest patch and my variation of the community sliders im really enjoying it ...so good to see fouls and loads of shot variation

I think I'd stick with it if it wasn't for defending, particularly against AI.

I've saved a few clips from a Liverpool v Chelsea game where you can see every bit of pressure I try to make being pushed away by invisible walls, to the point where I get really pissed off and start slide-tackling - actually win the ball - and then fall onto it, freeze, and stay frozen for about three seconds (with the ball spinning like a disco ball underneath the player's armpit), so that Chelsea can regain possession and be on their way again.

EDIT: Lots of articles out there about the defending being a bit broken, e.g. this Eurogamer one. Glad it's not just me.

From what I've read about 18 it seems like attackers still have a massive advantage. Not looking forward to that.

Last edited:
I think I'd stick with it if it wasn't for defending, particularly against AI.

I've saved a few clips from a Liverpool v Chelsea game where you can see every bit of pressure I try to make being pushed away by invisible walls, to the point where I get really pissed off and start slide-tackling - actually win the ball - and then fall onto it, freeze, and stay frozen for about three seconds (with the ball spinning like a disco ball underneath the player's armpit), so that Chelsea can regain possession and be on their way again.

EDIT: Lots of articles out there about the defending being a bit broken, e.g. this Eurogamer one. Glad it's not just me.

From what I've read about 18 it seems like attackers still have a massive advantage. Not looking forward to that.

FIFA basically gave up after trying to create a realistic sim like game which is FIFA 16 and had a community backlash. So they no longer need to innovate and just release a similar game and charge $60 for mainly few improvements and roster update. I would be surprised if the changes they said about gameplay is actually true but I am ready for another year of tiki taka 95% passing accuracy CPU and I will give this FIFA a pass.

Same here, in 9 months of playing FIFA 17 on Professional, I can't remember being cheated like that once.

if it happens to one person or a handful of people once then surely its a glitch and not a cheat
I can recreate it easily - on "advanced defending" or whatever it's called, if I play a career mode game as two top teams against each other, I'm not allowed anywhere near a player to tackle him - unless I use "slide tackle", which misses by a mile in most cases, and when it DOESN'T, some weird little glitch happens to make sure I don't come away with the ball.

It's like that video where the ball comes off the goalkeeper's glove, is going wide, and then changes direction to go into the net (or vice versa, I forget) - the way the code works, particularly (possibly only) against the AI, is that the ball WILL go where it needs to go.

I've uploaded another example on the same YouTube account where an AI player heads the ball through my defender's chest. I'd call it an animation glitch, except this stuff is RELENTLESS from the AI (when it's determined that it has to win, anyway).

It's difficult to see during gameplay a lot of the time, but not this one. :LOL:

FIFA basically gave up after trying to create a realistic sim like game which is FIFA 16 and had a community backlash. So they no longer need to innovate and just release a similar game and charge $60 for mainly few improvements and roster update. I would be surprised if the changes they said about gameplay is actually true but I am ready for another year of tiki taka 95% passing accuracy CPU and I will give this FIFA a pass.

I don't think so.
Most FIFA communities I regularly visit are disgusted with FIFA 17 and want FIFA 16's approach back.

I don't think so.
Most FIFA communities I regularly visit are disgusted with FIFA 17 and want FIFA 16's approach back.

Yeah but the majority of FIFA player are the online ones and the most of them didn't like FIFA 16.

Yeah but the majority of FIFA player are the online ones and the most of them didn't like FIFA 16.

FIFA has always gone from Sim to Arcade from one version to the next.
FIFA 08 = SIM
FIFA 09 = Arcadeyish
FIFA 10 = SIM
FIFA 11 = Arcadeyish
FIFA 12 = Sim
FIFA 13 = Mix of both (I loved this one).
FIFA 14= SIM
FIFA 15 = Arcadeyish
FIFA 16= SIM
FIFA 17 = Arcadey-shit

We'll just have to wait and see... but it would look as though FIFA 18 is going to be a Mix of both like 13 was.

FIFA 08 = SIM
FIFA 09 = Arcadeyish
FIFA 10 = SIM
FIFA 11 = Arcadeyish
FIFA 12 = Sim
FIFA 14= SIM
FIFA 15 = Arcadeyish
FIFA 16= SIM
FIFA 17 = Arcadey-shit

We'll just have to wait and see... but it would look as though FIFA 18 is going to be a Mix of both like 13 was.

Maybe different team works on different iteration. Like the arcade team is involved in FIFA 11, 13, 15 and 17. And now it's the sim team's year. This is usually how EA works with their IPs.

Yeah, maybe.
Or maybe they do it like that to appeal to all type of crowds. "If you didn't like this one, you will like the next one" kind of philosophy.

Yeah, maybe.
Or maybe they do it like that to appeal to all type of crowds. "If you didn't like this one, you will like the next one" kind of philosophy.
I absolutely believe that it works in a similar way. I look at it like this - what's the first thing you notice when you play the new version of a football game? The speed of it. Every year, as you've pointed out, it's alternated - fast game, slow game, fast game, slow game.

As soon as you play the demo, the first thing that hits you is the speed. "Wow, this is different!" And because it's different - or "new" - it feels like a different game, and that encourages you to buy it. You might even start telling you it feels like a totally different game - just because it's faster (or slower).

EA is a company, not an artist - they're not stupid and they know how to tap into people and produce a purchase.

Your video above does suggest a problem with clipping in the switch to the Frostbyte engine in 17.

FIFA 08 = SIM
FIFA 09 = Arcadeyish
FIFA 10 = SIM
FIFA 11 = Arcadeyish
FIFA 12 = Sim
FIFA 14= SIM
FIFA 15 = Arcadeyish
FIFA 16= SIM
FIFA 17 = Arcadey-shit

WELL, I DON'T KNOW HOW U CAN FIND ANY DIFFERENCE BTW FIFA 14 AND FIFA 17, ITS THE SAME GAME , ONLY BETTER IN EVERY WAY IT CAN BE, ITS A REFINED FIFA 14, I PERSONALLY AM ENJOYING FIFA 17, I DON'T THINK ITS ARCADEY AT ALL..

WELL, I DON'T KNOW HOW U CAN FIND ANY DIFFERENCE BTW FIFA 14 AND FIFA 17, ITS THE SAME GAME , ONLY BETTER IN EVERY WAY IT CAN BE, ITS A REFINED FIFA 14, I PERSONALLY AM ENJOYING FIFA 17, I DON'T THINK ITS ARCADEY AT ALL..

Alright, I respect your opinion. No need to shout.
I found FIFA 14 better at it. I thought FIFA 17 was just made harder, simply just to make it harder. And there was less variety overall. FIFA 08, 13 and 16 have been my favourite FIFAs so far.

FIFA 08, 13 and 16 have been my favourite FIFAs so far.
We are very much in agreement.

I think 17 would have been spectacular if not for Frostbite, which (for me) wrecked player movement (suddenly unresponsive in certain situations) and even passes (I can't hit the same pass twice on "semi", the game seems to roll the dice on every pass you hit).

My big worry is that for as long as Frostbite is used (ten years maybe?!), gameplay will suffer. If there's no big jump between 17 and 18, I think the writing is on the wall.

1. Is there a way to check players all time stats in carrer mode ? Like combined goals/assists from all seasons.

2. My game is stuck at the arena before a game in carrer mode. Restarting game doesnt do anything. Any ideas ?

Back
Top Bottom