FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

Frostbite 3 face and hairy chest
409379.jpg

Looks worse than Fifa 16 and even fifa 12.

Now this looks impressive. The last picture was shit.
You need to realise that the engine offers some opportunities, then it's down to the developers to use it at its best (and it rarely happens unfortunately).
It's not a Frostbite thing, the same thing also applies to other engines like Konami's FOX Engine: both Metal Gear Solid V and PES use the FOX engine, yet there's a lot of visual difference between the two (especially on PC where PES lags behind big time).

You need to realise that the engine offers some opportunities, then it's down to the developers to use it at its best (and it rarely happens unfortunately).
It's not a Frostbite thing, the same thing also applies to other engines like Konami's FOX Engine: both Metal Gear Solid V and PES use the FOX engine, yet there's a lot of visual difference between the two (especially on PC where PES lags behind big time).
PES only lags behind in the pitch texture, as on pc its not hd, and ps4 it is, as for frostbite engine this is the best engine out there at the moment, and fifa 17 will look sick using that, wait till we see how the gameplay is, because at this moment if there are new animations for players etc, its gonna be a very good game if it follows fifa 16 shooting variety etc..

PES only lags behind in the pitch texture, as on pc its not hd, and ps4 it is
Well, I meant that PES 2016 is behind MGS in terms of visual quality on every platform.
On PC this gap is even more noticeable as PC is not on par with consoles (and in my opinion it's not only the pitch what is different, also lighting/shading have been toned down on PC and the same happened to some textures too, like the ones for boots).

I meant that the FOX engine could probably yield better results than what we're currently seeing in PES (on any platform), that's all.

I know its dependent on developers. But engine do influence the graphical quality. Oook at Unreal Engine 3 and 4. Both of them can give great details, yet they look unreal. The faces in UE4 look very fake. Same with Rage engine, where Gta V and Mp3 are look detailed but the characters looks as if there are nothing inside them. They don't look organic. Then in MT framework of Resident Evil 6, the character skins look natural.

So developers can make great graphics, but the rendering method o engines can ruin it, especially in sports ganes where players faces are priority. Now my idea might be completely wrong. But all unreal engine games look unreal(Nice graphics but unreal) so far.

Well, I meant that PES 2016 is behind MGS in terms of visual quality on every platform.
On PC this gap is even more noticeable as PC is not on par with consoles (and in
u cant compare a football game and a 3rd person adventure game built on the same engine, offcourse you're not gonna see any similarities except for player faces which in pes is great.

I am starting to find this thread quite amusing..

Everyone always goes on about PC gamers and the fact they are just into graphics and nothing else.

Yet this thread is 95% about will the graphics improve over 16 with Frostbite and hardly anyone has asked - will the gameplay improve..

Everyone always goes on about PC gamers and the fact they are just into graphics and nothing else.

Yet this thread is 95% about will the graphics improve over 16 with Frostbite and hardly anyone has asked - will the gameplay improve..
Frostbite has always been about graphics. I've never read an article that says "Frostbite means that Battlefield/Need for Speed is a deeper simulation". You're overreaching.

Also, you can post screenshots of other Frostbite games and show the potential, whereas you can't post screenshots of gameplay, can you.

And besides even that, it entirely depends on the development focus.

Great example: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour uses Frostbite (as I said earlier in the thread) and the gameplay on the hardest difficulty settings is beyond easy, it's terribly simplistic. If you can pull an analog stick back and forth, you can beat the AI. Every club goes its perfectly set distance, spin works the same way, and putts move at 2x the speed they would in reality, presumably to appeal to the gamers who just want to play the game as quickly as possible.

Then you've got the likes of The Golf Club, which is so hardcore I struggle to enjoy it - and that was built with Unity, which is universally panned (and rightly so, it runs like shit). But, it aims to be a simulation, and it's a great simulation.

So, if they want to make a realistic game, they can do that with Frostbite, but they could A) just as easily make an arcade game with it, and B) you don't need Frostbite to make a realistic game.

The only thing you can draw from it is that graphics, and physics, may be improved (but you don't have to tie physics to gameplay - see PES, which had pre-baked physics and physicality for ages).

Last edited:

People making one off posts about the potential graphical prowess of future FIFA titles isn't exactly indicative of their priorities. It's literally the only bit of news (rumor at this point) to go by at this point, so naturally people are going to discuss it. I mean, who doesn't want better player models? They're horrendous.

Last edited:
I dont understand this fuss about ugly faces in fifa 16. They're fine even very good imo for most of them. Take in account that i play moddingway mod, so maybe in vanilla game they aren't as beautiful

Hopefully the jerseys won't become skin tight like Pes 16. I mean look at Barcelona's and Real Madrids jersey in real life and look those in Pes. As if the normal jerseys are now skin tight which isn't exactly the truth. I would prefer Fifa 16s model anyday over Pes 16 and 14. Even Pes 13 and 10's jerseys look much better and realistic. Well, the demand of graphics is parallel to gameplay. People sure do prefer gameplay first. But if there ain't no graphical updates in new games tagged with $60, then people would just like to prefer gameplay improvements through patches in the current version instead of buying new game. Same goes for the otherway, vice versa.

Last edited:
EA SPORTS FIFA ‏@EASPORTSFIFA 7 minutes ago

#FIFA17 reveal trailer - TODAY at 6.45pm UK / 10.45am PT, exclusively in-game on EA SPORTS News.

Who would've thought, it's the announcement of an announcement trailer on June 12. But Frostbite seems to be confirmed.

No doubt the game will have awesome graphics.

EA have now the chance to elevate Fifa series to a whole new level.

Thats the real "nextgen" change we were waiting for as the ignite engine was pure marketing, not really a totaly different engine from lastgen (thats a fact).

My my, that's a nice teaser trailer. It's good that EA are making changes to FIFA, let's just hope it's not only graphics they're focusing on. I'd choose gameplay over graphics all day long.

Still the trailer has got me pumped for it. :)

It will have Denuvo so there's no doubt that PC version will be on Frostbite at least 95% like consoles version. I'm waiting for gameplay. Hype is real.

Back
Top Bottom