FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

From now on, if it is not frostbite, it will be a huge disappointment.
(And for EA it will be a huge PR fiasco.)

I hope this doesn't affect the way modding works on PC... It's nearly unplayable on console with generic faces and bad level of detail.

The possibility of what the Frostbite 3 engine can do For FIFA is fascinating. I guess we will find out in 10 days time at the EA Play conference.

Hope not. I'm already preparing to be fucked over by Konami again so I could do without EA giving PC gamers a raw deal too.

LETS PRAISE OUR LORD AND SAVIOR!!

nW2d0HG.gif

Without it we would still be on FIFA 13....redressed as FIFA 17

Is there an example of what frostbite is capable of? A neat image?
I'm not quite sure but many EA games running the engine. For example Star Wars Battlefront, Need for Speed and the new Battlefield. These games look fantastic. So I think Frostbite would be awesome for FIFA.

That´s what I hope too.
Nothing official confirmed by EA but I´ve read that Frostbite thing on several PC Gaming magazines.

Is there an example of what frostbite is capable of? A neat image?
Need For Speed games use Frostbite: Rivals and the latest reboot do it for sure, so does The Run although it's an older version of the engine (and it still looks decent, anyway).

Now if that´s really official and EA gets it right and doesn´t fuck up the game totally with a new engine...

This could be a smart and great move to win over more customers IF:
- the player models look and move more realistic within the new engine (like in PES they do) and they finally get rid of that partly puppetish animations
- the player faces look better
- the gameplay improves some more, or worst case, stays the way it is in FIFA 16 (unpredictive, lively, new situations)
- they don´t speed up the gameplay
- they implement it on PC too this year
- custom tactics work better
- player and team ID stand out a bit more

Maybe quite a bit too much to ask for...but if they would have people in their company who know what´s going on in the community on both games, they could WIN on this one.

Of course IF PES 2017 is most likely another 2016...which I don´t hope for of course.

I hope for all of that too, but the realist in me says that after the panning 16 got (which was slower and an attempt at being more realistic), they'll attempt to go backwards to 15 (which was faster and more about "fun"). It's too important a franchise for EA to mess up, as far as they'll be concerned.

I can't remember if it was in this thread that I saw it, or if it was on NeoGAF, but there was a chart showing how much money EA made from FIFA sales this year, and how it was totally dwarfed by FUT spending. That's not an apple-cart they want to upset.

The move to Frostbite could easily be construed by us as a reaction to the metacritic - e.g. "we need to make a big change now, the reviews are slipping, so let's do it now" - but realistically, you don't change engine over the course of a few months, so it must have been in the pipeline for a while.

So until I read some previews that specifically say they're still aiming for realism, my bet is that Frostbite will make it look pretty, but play arcadey.

(It's worth noting that Rory McIlroy's PGA Tour runs on Frostbite, and looks great, except for Rory McIlroy's face - which I found hilarious, he's their cover-star and his in-game persona doesn't really look like him facially. Also, the gameplay isn't exactly amazing - everything runs at 2x the speed of real life, particularly putting.)

I'm not quite sure but many EA games running the engine. For example Star Wars Battlefront, Need for Speed and the new Battlefield. These games look fantastic. So I think Frostbite would be awesome for FIFA.

battlefield 4 uses that engine

Need For Speed games use Frostbite: Rivals and the latest reboot do it for sure, so does The Run although it's an older version of the engine (and it still looks decent, anyway).

Thanks guys.

Battlefront looks gorgeous!

Apparently we will get full body scans for the Premier League in FIFA 17.

f2621cf0b0.png

Furthermore that picture was taken down several times due to copyright. Maybe those are the FIFA 17 ambassadors. Could still be fake.

f2621c049c.jpg

The first picture look like more face scan and tatto scan more than body scan and the second are clearly not a fake.

i wouldnt hope much from Frostbite...see FIFA 14 PC wasnt that much different from FIFA 14 current gen. yeah you heard me. EA uses the appr same models and physics just in an upgraded version, that wasnt a massive leap tbh. it is progress and looks much better but not makes a totally new game.

i wouldnt hope much from Frostbite...see FIFA 14 PC wasnt that much different from FIFA 14 current gen. yeah you heard me. EA uses the appr same models and physics just in an upgraded version, that wasnt a massive leap tbh. it is progress and looks much better but not makes a totally new game.

no, fifa 11 to 12 was the new/current game engine.
that was a difference.

Last edited:
If it's confirmed, that will be a very, very good news.
Ignite is so light and cheap in every area, poor in terms of physicality, they can't continue with that PS3.5 engine.
A new engine is really needed for the future of FIFA franchise

This is good, EA moving to the Frostbite engine will move the game forwards, well graphically it definitely will, looking forward to seeing what they can do in the next few years.

This was so badly needed, the AI overall is truly an abomination on ignite which is quite clearly a failure and is being discontinued!

FIFA the last two years has been horrible, dull and stale due to when you really throw everything at the AI in a match, you get scripted pass sequences, cheating AI to keep scoring down which leads to jarring repetitive gameplay. The video in which Docks won 2-0 on legendary playing a 1-4-5 formation and won 2-0 was disturbing and showed just how mechanical and rigid FIFA 16 is.

FIFA has lost all of its creative spark which it badly needs back this year, the methodology of programming has been dire and deliberately made 'random' to try and keep the game in the realms of reality.

I have always been impressed with the frostbite engine way back in 2008 with BFBC, hope and positivity has arrived again :)

This is good, EA moving to the Frostbite engine will move the game forwards, well graphically it definitely will, looking forward to seeing what they can do in the next few years.

This was so badly needed, the AI overall is truly an abomination on ignite which is quite clearly a failure and is being discontinued!

FIFA the last two years has been horrible, dull and stale due to when you really throw everything at the AI in a match, you get scripted pass sequences, cheating AI to keep scoring down which leads to jarring repetitive gameplay. The video in which Docks won 2-0 on legendary playing a 1-4-5 formation and won 2-0 was disturbing and showed just how mechanical and rigid FIFA 16 is.

FIFA has lost all of its creative spark which it badly needs back this year, the methodology of programming has been dire and deliberately made 'random' to try and keep the game in the realms of reality.

I have always been impressed with the frostbite engine way back in 2008 with BFBC, hope and positivity has arrived again :)

:APPLAUD:

If it's confirmed, that will be a very, very good news.
Ignite is so light and cheap in every area, poor in terms of physicality, they can't continue with that PS3.5 engine.
A new engine is really needed for the future of FIFA franchise

with all the money this title brings in it should have a top game engine

Fifa 16 was promising to me, Fifa 17 with the new engine could be even better.

Definitely interesting.

The list of games that use frostbite engine:-

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield 1
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Mass Effect: Andromeda (Not Released)
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Need for Speed
Need for Speed Rivals
Need for Speed Edge (Not Released)
Plants vs. Zombies 1 & 2
Rory McIlroy Golf
Shadow Realms
Star Wars: Battlefront

Ignite was normally designed for sports games, Frosbite for the rest excepted golf game.
I don't know how it will render and what they're gonna gain (in terms of physicality and gameplay so on) if Fifa switch to that engine.

This could be the biggest step forward for EA to focus on animations and physicality, it worked so well before and launched them forward.

Their programming is terrible. What EA have always excelled in is animations.

Back
Top Bottom