Fifa 16 Custom Tactics Thread

fernadez

Premiership
28 May 2003
E.7
Tottenham Hotspur
Thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to post tactics to get variation when playing the cpu. Hopefully get a good representation of tactics for teams to make Manager Mode more immersive.

I've had good success getting them to play direct long ball football with loads of crosses with the following set up.

Speed 80
Passing 92
Positioning Organised
Passing 90
Crossing 80
Shooting 56
Positioning 56
Pressure 38
Aggression 37
Width 46

The custom tactics are dependent on the formation you play.

One man's 4-1-2-1-2 custom tactic will play completely differently to another's 4-4-2, etc.

For the cpu are people changing their formations or do they just want them to play different styles. If it's just the tactics then it'll be universal surely?

For the cpu are people changing their formations or do they just want them to play different styles. If it's just the tactics then it'll be universal surely?

What I mean is if you change custom tactics on a team that plays 4-4-2, that tactic won't work as well or may even work better on a different formation. Whether that's the CPU or not. I think most of the top teams in the game have a custom tactic set to their playstyle. Real Madrid's is definitely different to Chelsea's for example.

So if you change Real Madrid's custom tactic to the one above, they will still play differently to when changing Chelsea's custom tactic to the same one above.

You'd need to change the CPU custom tactics on every club to different settings because they play different formations, and according to EA and a few websites online with team guides, each club will play differently depending on their formation along with a custom tactic.

CPU changes tactics and formation in the mid of the game. I don't know how to control that.
Playing Be A Pro highlights just how often they do this, and also, the boost that's seemingly provided by the "all-out attack" instruction (which I think leads to all the 90th minute goals).

I've had zero success getting the AI to consistently play long. There's definitely a difference with increasing passing/speed build up stats, but the AI is rarely ever triggered into playing a long lobbed ball forward unless it's a cross.

I've had zero success getting the AI to consistently play long. There's definitely a difference with increasing passing/speed build up stats, but the AI is rarely ever triggered into playing a long lobbed ball forward unless it's a cross.
They played it long with the long ball tactic assigned 2 weeks ago before the latest roster update, but right now it is not possible, at least on the Ps4.

I know it sounds strange yeah but weekly updates change the way the cpu play, it did for me. Lets hope we get our long balls back on friday with the update.

Last edited:
They made the custom tactics working in a really complicated way where they could have simplified it much more.

Am I missing something or is it impossible to play with an AM from a wide position?

Only in 4-2-2-2, but you can always adjust position and change it, I don't know if it mess with the FUT chemistry though.

Adjusting position is useless because it's still restricted to LM or LW. The player roles aren't good enough.

I'm trying to approach this game with an open mind but it's a big challenge.

Tactically this game is very annoying.

Adjusting position is useless because it's still restricted to LM or LW. The player roles aren't good enough.

I'm trying to approach this game with an open mind but it's a big challenge.

Tactically this game is very annoying.

Oh I see, maybe if you move the player slightly to the middle, but I'm not even sure you can.

But you are absolutely right tactically this game is annoying.

I don't even think messing with the custom tactics makes that much of a difference, its all about the momentum of the game.

Even if you put your team to stay way way deep, sometimes they will pressure, even if you try to close gaps they will often be there, also players instructions, most of the times they are fine, but whenever they act different its going to be to screw you, like a CDM getting forward, a SB marking your own CB.

Tactically this game is emotional. And the funny thing is that on patch 1.04 everything worked fine, now we have this very inconsistent game.

Tactically this game is emotional. And the funny thing is that on patch 1.04 everything worked fine, now we have this very inconsistent game.
I'm thinking it's because they don't "trust" the engine to create realism (or excitement, or difficulty) with freedom, after some of the complaints they were hearing - so they've resorted to forcing defenders to apply pressure and move out of position, thus, forcing more realistic (or exciting, or difficult) matches / results.

The more I play (and love) Football Manager, the less I'm inclined to play FIFA, because of how similar the matches and scorelines are. I've got a career mode going as Liverpool, and if I play a lower-league team in a cup tie on World Class or Legendary, even with a full-strength team, it's going to be a slog, and I'm either going to draw 0-0 or win 2-1 (because if I score and make it 1-0, they'll get an equaliser pretty quickly).

Playing Be A Pro shows some of the major issues because you get more of an insight as to how the AI (your teammates) play when given different instructions. As soon as your team is set to "all-out attack", every player seems to get an overall attribute boost - and that's what happens whenever I piss off an AI team during Manager Mode.

Last edited:
Yeah Chris, this whole tactical engine, how teams perform in a whole, how the game actually gets harder at times, why they make some many mistakes right now is freaking crazy to understand.

On the first couple of weeks of the patch, I've tried nearly everything, custom tactics included and the conclusion I had is there's nothing to conclude.

The engine is on a crazy point at this current state, and once I stopped trying to understand it is when the game felt slightly but slightly playable again, its more about action/reaction for me now, whenever my team is on that crazy behavior that I don't want them to be I start kicking everything and trying my best to play the worst way possible.

Its funny how some people prefer the gameplay like this because they are winning more, or because the games feel more random and people are having huge trouble to defend again.

Randomness is not something I look for in a game, it should be about different alternatives of play style not different ways the game works at a certain time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom