FIFA 14 OT, Next Gen, PC Love, Fanboys, Star Wars, Hand Sanitizers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2014 Discussion Thread

That FIFA NG vid looks okay but its only youtube so judging graphical fidelity wouldnt be right.

One thing though...the whole game seems congested to 35% of the pitch. all 20 players seem to be crammed in that one area. How are you supposed to build up a well thought out attack?

The game is gonna end up playing out like rock, paper scissors.

EA say that with the next gen platform it brings a lot more possibilities like 10 times more animations and four players being able to challenge for a header at once. So at this point what aspects is PES 14 behind on Fifa 14 NG?
None.

I remember when the PS3 and Xbox360 were announced that EA said they could now control the movement of each individual blade of grass.

Other than removing the headache inducing blur of their first game on this current gen, all they've done is take things out, put them back in, add the worst pk system ever seen and make a game that should be in the arcade and playable with two mashable buttons.

I'm about as worried as a decent next-gen footy game from EA as I am sharknado!

Only one aspect of the game I can think, despite not being that major, is the way the play will be continuous on FIFA 14 next gen.
I've always loved the idea of zero black screens and everything happening on the field, some rightly say that a lot of the time would be wasted like with things like players coming up for the corners or free kicks.
I believe NBA 2K has the perfect system, you have the possibility to either let the play on and watch everything happen in front of you or press a button to skip a few seconds and get to the free throw for instance.

One thing that FIFA does better... they have the names at the bottom of the screen :(

Its possible in a basketball game cause the time stops. In football, the time continues, and a few seconds of real life as they walk up, will equal a lot of time lost in the game. That's why there are the cut scenes and the time stops when there's a throw in, free kick or corner. Having no black screens in a football game will not work unless you play 30-45 minute halves.

On another note, I think EA made a mistake in having a close to this gen version of the NG game. Reason is, as there are no competitions, you should always start out with a bang. Lock those that bought the NG consoles into FIFA and then they will (more likely than not) stick with FIFA for the NG. By doing what they've done now, many players will most likely make a decision next year and it'd be uncertain where people will go (first NG PES is always uncertain, and the last FIFA NG wasn't impressive enough).

Its possible in a basketball game cause the time stops. In football, the time continues, and a few seconds of real life as they walk up, will equal a lot of time lost in the game. That's why there are the cut scenes and the time stops when there's a throw in, free kick or corner. Having no black screens in a football game will not work unless you play 30-45 minute halves.

On another note, I think EA made a mistake in having a close to this gen version of the NG game. Reason is, as there are no competitions, you should always start out with a bang. Lock those that bought the NG consoles into FIFA and then they will (more likely than not) stick with FIFA for the NG. By doing what they've done now, many players will most likely make a decision next year and it'd be uncertain where people will go (first NG PES is always uncertain, and the last FIFA NG wasn't impressive enough).

You're absolutely right, the time being stopped in one and not the other makes THE difference. I just liked the idea of ballboys on FIFA 14 next gen, not everything can and should be continuous on a football game for the reasons you mentioned but to do it as much as possible and as less time consuming as possible wouldn't be a bad thing IMHO.
Other than that, the crowds have also impressed me on FIFA 14 but they have always been worked on PES 2014 so it's not much of a thing.
If the game plays as good as it seems on all the videos we've watched then really it's a very good idea to have focused on this current gen only.

Can't believe that is next gen. Looks like a 10% improvement on PS3 fifa. & if anything the ball physics looks last gen. PES2014 most impressive feature has to be true ball tech. It is amazing. Far ahead of PS4 fifa

Another thing about FIFA 14 , they said they have recreated stadiums more like their real life counter part this time. But that Allianz arena looks nothing like the real one, all they did was move the adboards closer to the goals. PES2014 Allianz Arena looks spot on.

Last edited:

Just deleted my FIFA13 and Origin. Feel proud of myself, I do.:APPLAUD:

I did that a month ago. I just hate tje fact that every team passes same and have no identity. Every game feels a repeat and u score same exact goal. I got bored and fed up of it. Glad i wont get it as i see no improvements myself. How funny ppl critisising current gen pes

Jesus. All you lot going on about games you haven't even got your own hands on. The way those videos played out, both looked rubbish as none of the players on the end of the controllers could move the ball about well at all. They were all crap!!
Graphically I expect a crisper looking game on Next Gen. I don't expect it to be life like at all. You now get people saying the continuous play won't work. Who made them experts? I'm pretty sure it will work just fine. Watching videos, I don't believe its all continuous anyway as in one vid, a ball went out of play and it quickly changed and players were in different positions. It will prob be a bit of a mixture. As for the clock carrying on counting down, well its only a game so they can stop it or make 6 minute halves 7 minute halves for all I care. It's not even worth worrying about.

I play FIFA on manual settings and play realistically. I move the ball about quite nicely. I tried this on PES last few years and I don't like the feel of it. Play the game in a crappy, 100mph pinball way and its shit. I play FIFA my way and I enjoy it a lot. Happy to give both games a go and take it from there. Don't see the point of slating one game and not the other because who cares about anybody else's opinion anyway? Play what you prefer.

Dude, what do you want from FREE game ?
FIFA 14 NG is not made to be good ... its made to be FREE !
They don't have competition this year on NG market ! Why they should put so much " new " things , when basically the real big NG battle will be next year !? Maybe they hide the real NG game for next year ! Who know.
We hate EA but.. they are not so stupid ;)

You're telling me that ever since they were developing FIFA 14 for the next gen, they knew they were going to get a deal with Microsoft, remember EA are kind of snubbing there Playstation audience. Like ss4_goku said "they should go into the NG with a bang."

...next gen fifa and says that fifa has better gameplay...

triple_facepalm_by_spottedheart98464-d3kuyp3.png

It really doesn't look like it judging by what we've seen so far.. But will have check it out by ourselves. U_U

None.

I remember when the PS3 and Xbox360 were announced that EA said they could now control the movement of each individual blade of grass.

Other than removing the headache inducing blur of their first game on this current gen, all they've done is take things out, put them back in, add the worst pk system ever seen and make a game that should be in the arcade and playable with two mashable buttons.

I'm about as worried as a decent next-gen footy game from EA as I am sharknado!

So is EA actually lying when they say that the Ignite engine can only run on next gen systems (PS4/XBONE) and is too powerful for the PS3/360 or is it true?

So is EA actually lying when they say that the Ignite engine can only run on next gen systems (PS4/XBONE) and is too powerful for the PS3/360 or is it true?

I think they make elaborate claims every year let alone when next gen machines come out. What they said they could do with the ps3/360 never evolved so there's no reason to trust them this time. Even if the ignite engine can only run on next gen, what does it matter if you don't utilize it? What Konami and others have done with Fox on current gen show EA have just been lazy. Same product for the last 4-5 years.

Can't see any reason why NG FIFA looks better than that. Might have to play it for the final verdict.

Re: FIFA 14

The fact that FIFA is so broad, so huge, so expansive, is a reason why it's also so shallow.

If they stopped adding more modes and attaching so many online gimmicks to those modes, maybe they'd have the resource/time to spend on creating gameplay with some depth and quality to it.

:TU:
Couldn't have said it any better.

Well, KSI video of FIFA 14 is indeed tasty.

YouTube - FIFA 14 EXCLUSIVE GAMEPLAY | Milan v Borussia Dortmund | 2nd Half

Much better than I thought. Yes, they do still play it in arcade fest style, but I can see potential for people who like to simulate real life football, without needless skills, manual on, and no lofted through balls spam all the time ;).

I would only play NG version of it though, but that is not happening, so... Sticking with Pro Evo 2014 ;).

Well, KSI video of FIFA 14 is indeed tasty.

YouTube - FIFA 14 EXCLUSIVE GAMEPLAY | Milan v Borussia Dortmund | 2nd Half

Much better than I thought. Yes, they do still play it in arcade fest style, but I can see potential for people who like to simulate real life football, without needless skills, manual on, and no lofted through balls spam all the time ;).

I would only play NG version of it though, but that is not happening, so... Sticking with Pro Evo 2014 ;).

After watching alot of pes 2014 videos I don't rate fifa NG i believe animations in pes 2014 are better

Ok, I saw Neph scoring outside curved finesse shot and into back of the net. Same old same old I would like to say. 100% proof way to score a goal in FIFA. Works since FIFA 10 at least...

Och well. It's action-action game. People love it for that.

It was also the first reason I fell in love with Pro Evolution Soccer 3. ;] Don't people forget that... (FIFA just stole a lot from PES, but lack the feeling).

And now I get why Fluorescent was so pissed off recently!

YouTube - The End of FluorescentFIFA - But The Start of Something New!

If you listen to this, you will hear a lot of truth about "certain group of YouTubers ruining FIFA experience." :x

Last edited:
I hate 1 touch passes in those videos. It looks like ping-pong match.
They play only: 1 touch pass>1 touch pass>lobed through pass>skill move>shoot.

Even if i'm dissapointed with Fifa 14 NG and as much as i hate some of Fifa game mechanics you should realise these guys are playing automatic passes/normal or fast speed...I can bet the game will feel a lot diferent if played all manual/slow :COOL:.

fifa 14 CG and NG very dissappointing, fifa has been out for such a long time and they still cant get it right.
FIFA 14 CG is exactly as advertised (no real updates, same game as last year basically) so no disappointment there. But FIFA 14 NG is a different story. EA once again is scamming the gaming world by proclaiming some great and new product, when it's obvious FIFA 14 NG is nothing more than a direct port of FIFA CG. They pulled this same garbage years ago when they lied about having rebuilt Madden from the ground up. But again for me, no surprise or disappointment. I predicted all this months ago, it's EA we're talking about here after all.

Last edited:
Well if you were planning to buy both CG and NG then of course you should feel a bit duped, however the majority who are going next gen on launch won't be buying the current gen they'll just wait for Fifa14 NG, and IMO Fifa13 CG - Fifa 14 NG is going to feel like a massive upgrade along the lines of PES2013 - PES 2014.

FIFA 14 CG is exactly as advertised (no real updates, same game as last year basically) so no disappointment there. But FIFA 14 NG is a different story. EA once again is scamming the gaming world by proclaiming some great and new product, when it's obvious FIFA 14 NG is nothing more than a direct port of FIFA CG. They pulled this same garbage years ago when they lied about having rebuilt Madden from the ground up. But again for me, no surprise or disappointment. I predicted all this months ago, it's EA we're talking about here after all.

Although EA say that they've rebuilt Fifa 14 NG from the ground up that doesn't mean they imply they aren't using any of the existing code base does it? As the current engine has been about 8 years in development so their hardly going to scrap all that and build a new game entirely.

Fifa 14 NG is going to feel like a massive upgrade along the lines of PES2013 - PES 2014.

Although EA say that they've rebuilt Fifa 14 NG from the ground up that doesn't mean they imply they aren't using any of the existing code base does it? As the current engine has been about 8 years in development so their hardly going to scrap all that and build a new game entirely.
Guys, if FIFA NG is a simply a CG port -- which it looks to be -- then I'd like to explain why FIFA 14 NG, other than visually, is not going to be an improvement over FIFA CG. And why scrapping the current game engine is critical to creating a truly NG FIFA football experience.

I've been editing and creating roster mods for both FIFA and PES for a decade. There is one fundamental and critical difference between the two games, and it has to do with the manner in which player ratings interact with the game engine. I'm specifically referring to pass, cross and dribble skill ratings.

The way PES is programmed, a player's pass, cross and dribble ratings determine how good or how poor a player is at those skills. This applies to both User and CPU players. A CPU opponent with low pass ratings for example will be more inclined to give the ball away via errant passes. Likewise a User player will have a tougher time finding his teammates with a pass if his pass ratings are low. This obviously is how player ratings should work; it's logical and it's what we expect with sports games. It's what gives us a sense we're playing a real-life simulation.

But FIFA isn't programmed like that and never has been. Pass, cross and dribble ratings in FIFA interact with the game engine in a very different way than they do in PES. They are not qualitative ratings, they're quantitative ratings. They do not determine how good or how poor a player is at those particular skills; the only thing they do is determine how often or how seldom a player will perform those skills.

If a CPU defender in FIFA for example grabs the ball in his end, it's the correlation between his pass, cross and dribble rating totals that determines whether he will quickly pass the ball off to a nearby teammate, or fire a long ball forward, or dribble the ball up the pitch himself. Furthermore, those ratings have no bearing on how successful or unsuccessful the player will be in completing that pass or dribbling the ball up the pitch. This is the main reason why CPU pass success percentages for every CPU team in FIFA, whether it's a top tier team or a 3rd tier team and regardless of what difficulty level you play on, are always in the 85% range.

It's also one of the main reasons why PES is considered to be a simulation game, and why FIFA is thought to be more of an arcade football experience. And given what I've just explained regarding the difference in programming between the two games, one can see and understand how accurate and truthful that assessment actually is.

This isn't to say FIFA is less fun as a game. I play FIFA 13 every day and have barely touched the PES series in two years. And that's because I prefer the feel of FIFA's gameplay from a control perspective. Plus I prefer the game's visuals; it's nicer to look at and it's much less clunky in motion than PES, and that means a lot to me.

But unless EA has scrapped the current gameplay code completely, and instead implemented a ratings system whereby those ratings actually determine ability level, then it's going to be another several years of the same mundane and ineffectual User vs CPU gameplay. This gameplay coding has been the foundation of this series since the PS2 era. If they port it over (again) to NG, there is simply no way EA can create a truly NG game. NG visuals sure. But NG simulation gameplay? Not even possible, not with their current game engine and the way it works.

Last edited:
That's not strictly true though, not with Fifa13 at least, in previous Fifas for example you could use Peter Crouch and hit wrong foot first time volley crosses into the box no problem, maybe 9/10 times they'd be virtually perfect, on Fifa13 finally if you tried that they'd go almost everywhere but where you want them to go, maybe 2/10 they'd go in the box, certainly that's my experience on all manual, don't play any other way so perhaps it's different on semi/auto?

That's not strictly true though, not with Fifa13 at least, in previous Fifas for example you could use Peter Crouch and hit wrong foot first time volley crosses into the box no problem, maybe 9/10 times they'd be virtually perfect, on Fifa13 finally if you tried that they'd go almost everywhere but where you want them to go, maybe 2/10 they'd go in the box, certainly that's my experience on all manual, don't play any other way so perhaps it's different on semi/auto?
If you noticed I spoke mostly about CPU player skills. Those ratings do not determine CPU skill level, they only affect CPU decision-making (whether to pass, cross or dribble the ball). This is why I say the current engine EA uses for FIFA is fundamentally flawed and can never produce a true ratings-based simulation game, that's the most important observation in all this. BTW I appreciate your interest in this discussion and I'm not arguing. I'm simply trying to clarify why I feel it's imperative EA starts from scratch with NG. If they are choosing to use this same game engine, they're not going to be able to produce a true NG game with it... or at least what my idea of a NG game is and should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom