FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - GAME RELATED TALK ONLY!

Let's just hope that the YouTube community doesn't have much influence in terms of how EA design the gameplay. Sounds like quite a few people who like FIFA 13 are being turned off by FIFA 14's new direction.

I hope that they will be won round, rather than EA changing to suit them. It is time for a shift away from this BS.

Last edited:

Simple question then. Will EA release a game which resembles football, or the game he wants?

Depends on how strong the uproar is, I was talking with my friends about this and if all YouTubers like KSI and Calfreezy step up and say look we want this game, and all their subscribers come out and support them, we will have a game which is a watered down version of the promising game they have currently developed.

Depends on how strong the uproar is, I was talking with my friends about this and if all YouTubers like KSI and Calfreezy step up and say look we want this game, and all their subscribers come out and support them, we will have a game which is a watered down version of the promising game they have currently developed.

I think there is some potential for this. If any of the more popular YouTubers start a petition/protest movement... well, at least it gives me something to write about.

That youtuber has a funny way to talk, I give him that, but he seemed like he didn't understand anything about football at all. Here they have introduced proper footplanting and inertia and he says it's things already in the game before and doesn't understand what the circles on the ground meant to show...

The problem is there are many as ignorant as him and using youtube they can magnify their influence a lot and at the end EA will probably bow down to this public outcry for fun over realism.

It's a shame really, and it happened the last few years as well, promising features and gamedesigns got severely watered down because of that.

I think there is some potential for this. If any of the more popular YouTubers start a petition/protest movement... well, at least it gives me something to write about.

Well the good news is that Precision Movement is a total overhaul of player movement animations, it's been in the works for two years, so it's like the Impact Engine in that while it can be tweaked and smoothed out, it's here to stay. And since it's one of the three core features of the Ignite Engine, clearly the devs are committed to (at least more) realistic player movement physics.

Still, the youtubers, and that terrible Eurogamer preview, do point out something very important, which is that the devs have no easy task in trying to balance realism with entertainment. In here most of us want greater realism, but the fact of the matter is that FIFA has to be fun - and fun for the casual audience as well as hopefully the hardcore as well - first and foremost.

Hopefully the devs can balance things so that the increased realism and slower pace that comes from Precision Movement doesn't lead to a game that is boring for everyone but those of us who've been waiting eons for realistic player movement to be added to FIFA.

As for people complaining that there's not much being upgraded with FIFA 14, aside from a major graphical upgrade, which granted is overdue but is coming with the next gen, I don't understand what else people could ask for.

You get people moaning the same old thing, that this is a .5 edition, and yet I don't see people suggesting alternative features that would be anywhere near as substantial an upgrade as Precision Movement. Personally, I think people just want better graphics (and I do too), and for that we'll just have to buy next gen.

Whatever, I'm excited. We've been asking for realistic player movement physics for years, and yeah it's a bit late for this generation, but in terms of its impact on FIFA, I doubt that the devs are going to work on a feature for two years, not to mention make it one of the core features of its next gen engine, only to water it down in the end to have minimal impact.

Not like FIFA is all the sudden going to turn into a slow, methodical football game - EA will find ways to balance it out, make it fun and exciting for casuals and youtubers, and give us other stuff to bitch about.

I do agree with what KSI said at the end though. Without true competition, EA Sports will not improve their game much. They don't see the need to do so and people will still pay full price for their game.

However, rivarly can put the devs to work harder. This is why I wish KONAMI has success this year with Pro Evo. It can PUSH forward both development teams.

I know people will buy FIFA for Clubs, Online modes and licenses first and foremost. Gameplay is 2nd tier for a lot of people I know. They are not football fanatics, they just want FUN first and foremost and FIFA gave them that.

Sadly those people wish that PES went downhill and never surfaced again.

Well, going back in history (as most people tend to forget) it was FIFA which was rubbish pile of crap. Remember FIFA 2001 till 2010 on PC? Same old SHIT was served for almost a decade with little changes.

It would still continue on Next Gens if not for KONAMI and Pro Evolution Soccer 3. The first football game KONAMI released on PCs. It showed how beautiful football game can be. It was fast, action like game where ball moved from one side of the box to the other. Action for action type of game. No goal was the same. No freekick was the same. Hell they introduced stretcher + medical team cutscenes, who scored pop ups and when the goal was scored pop ups. Plus after the game you had top 3 players nominated with stars to their name. With rolling text moving below for what they were rewarded.

They also introduced mixed kits(!).

Even if their game was lacking licenses and other stuff, it made it through with gameplay alone. It was a masterpiece and heaps ahead of FIFA back then.

But sadly people forget such things thinking it was FIFA who invented it all. Even though David Rutter admitted that his inspiration came from Pro Evolution Soccer ideas. He just evolved them in FIFA.

It is probably true as you could FEEL PES inspiration in FIFA 10 (consoles) and FIFA 11 (FIFA 10 + bug fixes on PC). It was more like PES 6 than FIFA with modern graphics and 360 degrees of movement. It was FUN, rewarding and there was no need for sliders. ;)

Since then, the series, went somewhat downhill for me personally. Player Impact Engine sounds very nice on paper, but in practice it is a shabby, glitched introduction to the game. Sometimes very unreal looking (ie. not taking player physical body into consideration).

The game was slowed down immensly. I know FIFA wanted to be more realistically paced, but... They killed the FUN doing it. AI was dumbed down and abbandoned pressing when you got the ball. Killing the sense of achievement.

Introduction of SLIDERS in FIFA 12. You can set the game to your style? Bullshit. Most of the changes from defaults usually make the game easier. Tried almost ALL the sliders posted on Legendary and all made the game easier to handle from default values. If the game was balanced from start to finish I doubt anyone would need sliders anyway... ;) (remember how unbalanced PES was? 3* was a challenge 6* was asking for miracle, but it didn't put people down from mastering the game, was it?).

If you're expecting drastic changes in FIFA 14, you might end up disappointed. I don't trust written reports or previews anymore on ANY game title. It's all publicity stunt for the most part.

Interia? Momentum? I will believe it when I see ACTUAL gameplay not pre-rendered movie (in that case most of we see won't be recreated in actual game even once).

Waiting for E3 gameplay videos. In anticipation to see something revolutionary. As of now I will remain skeptical towards both games. ;]

Seeing is believing after all :P.

(and being drunk is another matter - sorry for gibberish talk if so :P).

KSI doesn't want to play football, he wants to play arcade football, with no tactics or physics, just a string of high-speed ping-pong passes and tricks. Seems to me a basketball game would better suit him.

I can see the new inertia, etc ending up being barely perceptible because of all the watering down of realism EA will inevitably do to appease the arcade fans. They've done this before - an early version resulting in glowing praise and optimism about increased realism, only to find the final release has been toned right down to be little different to last years high-speed arcade dross.

I do agree with what KSI said at the end though. Without true competition, EA Sports will not improve their game much. They don't see the need to do so and people will still pay full price for their game.

Except that FIFA has loads of competition, just not from PES. FIFA's massive popularity means that it now transcends the football or even the sports genre, and now competes directly against other AAA titles of all genres.

When you're in the top 10 in gobal sales, like FIFA is now, you're competing against the Call of Duties, etc. It's only among the hardcore fans that there's still competition with PES.

So this idea that FIFA isn't progressing because they don't need to and that the FIFA devs are just sitting on their laurels is bullshit. Anyone who understands business understands that now that FIFA has reached such high heights, at least in terms of raw numbers and balance sheets, understands that the FIFA devs will be under immense pressure to continue making a game that competes with other AAA titles.

Obviously if you're expecting to see something revolutionary every year with an annual sports title, you're going to be disappointed. Still, respected members of the community have played the game and reported that Precision Movement is a pretty damn big change. And people who've played the next gen version say it's a pretty damn big leap forward too.

It's good to be skeptical, especially with EA, but there's a lot of reason to be optimistic right now - FIFA with realistic player movement physics; next gen FIFA with a new engine; PES with a new engine. Until we see these games in action, until we get to play them ourselves, what more is there to ask for at this point? Exciting times if you ask me.

Well he's the majority and has the subscribers to back that theory, his opinion has weight so when he says something like that EA will listen because he's a huge asset to EA at this point with his 'Internet Fame' and helps sell the product. If he suddenly stopped covering FIFA for PES It would probably have a direct impact in sales IMO.

That's why it surprises me the efforts put into trying to make FIFA the 'purists' choice, it can never be that, it's clearly the COD of its genre.

that's why I hope PES raises its game.

although I need a clubs mode and not even sure they have 1v1 down yet

Except for the first touch with alien skills at 0:47 of the "gameplay video", the "precision movement" bit really get me hyped for the game as I have not been for a Fifa game in years, by just watching you can really feel that players now make much more natural efforts to turn the body to opposite position and direction that they have been running, inertia is there!

Let's hope that EA don't screw it again and minimize the impact that this new feature can bring to the gameplay, only to please the masses.

I wish they'd just throw an option into the game - Sim or Arcade. That way everyone gets to be happy. Plus you could set it up online so sim players dont bump into arcade guys unless they actually choose to.

The real question is whether EA have the conviction in what they are doing to stick with it even when a handful of popular players aren't so sure after a few games. I think it's worth questioning why EA would have EVER started with Precision Movement if they weren't internally sure it was the right direction.

I don't think we've really seen a great deal of evidence that the YouTuber's do have influence over FIFA yet, so it's definitely not a foregone conclusion. We'll just have to wait to find out.

I wish they'd just throw an option into the game - Sim or Arcade. That way everyone gets to be happy. Plus you could set it up online so sim players dont bump into arcade guys unless they actually choose to.

As good as it sounds. IT would cause arguments with friends. I know for a fact my friends will never play the sim part where I would preffer to.

This would be a great thing to do from both gameplay and marketing POV

As good as it sounds. IT would cause arguments with friends. I know for a fact my friends will never play the sim part where I would preffer to.

Friends who won't play FIFA 15 Simulation mode aren't real friends. :)

Seriously though, I wouldn't say that this is such an impossibility. I would hope that EA have something which comes with NG which will help with the casual/hardcore divide.

Last edited:

They do it with shooters, so they can do it with a footy game :))

I don't see it as simple as Hardcore vs Arcade. Halo is very arcade and there are many hardcore Halo gamers.

I see it more like this:

O3n3dXI.jpg

Great optimism in here did people enjoy fifa 13 then? I cant help but think fifa 14 will be shit like 13 me and my friends have been so frustrated with fifa 13. LOL i didnt mean to quote

I enjoyed career. I did bore of it after a few months as it felt too predictable up front and the shooting just felt iffy. I'd lost all excitement up front and one vs one with the keeper hardly ever felt exciting. It sort of became a game of percentages rather than anything I actually did. You could get 1v1 and tap shoot and like 3 times out of 10 it went in no matter where you were stood, how far out, the angles or power involved.
It lowered if you changed to non assisted shooting but then that's like me purposefully making my aim shit just to make me miss even more.

Also the ai could be very stupid sometimes. Either ignoring your open goal to run towards the corner flag to cross or your own defenders would suddenly go crazy like an ant farm being shaken to purposefully allow the ai strikers to be onside.

I live in hope that 14 can improve. But part of me does worry that they care more about ultimate team and online modes than career or the AI.

That 'feeling' off being in shooting range and trying to catch the keeper out isn't possible in FIFA, unless your in a 'sweetspot' your not going to score, one of those things which kills my enjoyment from the game.

KS fucking I! My one son keeps mentioning that kid. All I say is he plays absolute unrealistic bullshit football and have told my kid to not play like him. Bought both my kids FIFA street for skills last week as they were saying the skills were "sick", and normal FIFA for proper footy. They are 9 & 11 and not bad passing on manual settings but I've tried to convince them that all that flip flapping roulette stuff is bollocks!! Yeah try a trick now and then but constant BS like you see the Youtubers doing isn't footy and I despise it. Of course my nippers are going to think some of it is amazing and I obviously want them to have a bit of fun when playing the game but I'm trying to get a passing mentality into them so that it filters through to real life.

Would love a proper dedicated Manual section to be available to people who like playing that way. It can't be hard to separate it!

KSI is a misogynist obnoxious cunt. Who knew screaming in the faces of people in the name of 'LAD BANTER' could earn you so much attention. Surprised EA would want to be associated with him. Absolute prick.

KSI is a misogynist obnoxious cunt. Who knew screaming in the faces of people in the name of 'LAD BANTER' could earn you so much attention. Surprised EA would want to be associated with him. Absolute prick.

EA realised quickly that he represented the casual lad gamer, get drunk get fucked young person that their product appeals to and frankly it is sound business to link up with him.. sadly.

Like Mourinho then (being the arrogant and absolute self-centered prick). ;)

Kill both birds with one stone (from marketing POV having KSI and him IMMENSE supporters database is amazing. They also let slide to a lot of what he does on his channel).

Have anyone seen his latest vids? He has got MASSIVE sponsorship from Tt (Thermaltake), Razer and few other companies (also got new PC through that, prick :P).

I do know that nowadays people are resigning from real life WORK to post on YouTube. Occupation: YouTuber is tempting ;) (and it was proven it can EARN you lots of money if you're dedicated enough).

Cruel times... For the people from the past :LOL:.

Back
Top Bottom