Fifa 14 Career Mode discussions

Aargh, first Van Persie breaks his ankle (ANOTHER ankle break) then Rooney gets an ankle ligament injury and both are out for most of my first season. This is gonna be a struggle!

I decided to start again with Spurs this time and it's very true to life, compared to the Man Utd squad I had, Spurs' team seem good technically but have no sense of teamwork. My Man Utd season (that I've left for the time being) saw me only concede 9 goals in 17 games. My Spurs defense is terrible, they open up from simple balls down the middle. My midfield don't have enough strength either.

I started the season with the first transfer window turned off as I can't wheel and deal - so many Spurs players are registered as 'new' that I currently sell any on to raise cash.

So, with that in mind, my season started dreadfully and has gradually improved, I began with a losing streak letting in 3 vs Palace, 3 vs Swansea, and 5 at home to Norwich to a chorus of boos. Since then I beat Arsenal away 2-1, and just crushed Villa 4-0 away.

The first transfer window will be interesting. I plan on moving a LOT of players out, including Lloris. He's rated as one of the best keepers in the game but he seems to parry shots to the strikers virtually every time - it's weird.

Last edited:
Not sure if i have discovered an exploit/glitch in Career Mode.

Playing on Xbone.

I'm about 6 seasons into my Career Mode. I started off with Club Brugge then went to Braga before getting the job at Dortmund (love the stadium you see). Got bored of Dortmund after a season and half as the squad was fantastic and i wanted more of a challenge. So come early Oct in my 3rd season with Dortmund i check the available jobs. Freiburg are looking for a manager. They are second bottom in the league and the objective is to get to Euro League. Budget is 4.2 million quid or something like that. Wage budget is something like 60 grand to spend.

I apply for the Freiburg job and then move forward in the calendar. It skips a couple of days and then stops as i have some emails to check. Note, at this point i have not received a response from Freiburg yet. I check the jobs again and see that the Freiburg job is being advertised still. I apply again. Skip forward a day and the response comes in and they offer me the job. I accept and then the game does its usual thing of setting me up at the new club. I have a couple of emails to check immediately. One is for the league objective. The other is an email telling me that i have not been successful in getting the Freiburg job because they have decided to go with other candidates i.e. me from my earlier application.

I then check my transfer budget and can see that i have the same 189 million quid that i had accummulated at Dortmund. My wage budget is about 1 million (i can't be sure whether this was exactly the same as at Dortmund but it was pretty close).

Anyone know if this is a known issue? It hadn't happened at all changing betwen clubs up to now and the only thing i did differently was apply again for the same job whilst waiting on the intial response.

Anyway...Freiburg are the new PSG in my Career Mode..............

Last edited:
That's a weird one! There are a few glitches, one funky one is that you can sign bosman players even if you can't afford their wages as long as you have someone on your own team with a wage above theirs, works something like this:

1. Do a player swap bid for a player you want to sign on a bosman
2. When the club accepts the bid offer the player a contract as normal
3. When the player accepts the contract reject the deal
4. Find the player again (do not go to the failed transfers screen) and this time negotiated a bosman transfer
5. Offer the contract and when it comes to accepts/reject it shows the player you were originally offering to trade so it takes their wages into account on the accept/reject screen even though that player is no longer part of the deal.

Not sure if i have discovered an exploit/glitch in Career Mode.

Playing on Xbone.

I'm about 6 seasons into my Career Mode. I started off with Club Brugge then went to Braga before getting the job at Dortmund (love the stadium you see). Got bored of Dortmund after a season and half as the squad was fantastic and i wanted more of a challenge. So come early Oct in my 3rd season with Dortmund i check the available jobs. Freiburg are looking for a manager. They are second bottom in the league and the objective is to get to Euro League. Budget is 4.2 million quid or something like that. Wage budget is something like 60 grand to spend.

I apply for the Freiburg job and then move forward in the calendar. It skips a couple of days and then stops as i have some emails to check. Note, at this point i have not received a response from Freiburg yet. I check the jobs again and see that the Freiburg job is being advertised still. I apply again. Skip forward a day and the response comes in and they offer me the job. I accept and then the game does its usual thing of setting me up at the new club. I have a couple of emails to check immediately. One is for the league objective. The other is an email telling me that i have not been successful in getting the Freiburg job because they have decided to go with other candidates i.e. me from my earlier application.

I then check my transfer budget and can see that i have the same 189 million quid that i had accummulated at Dortmund. My wage budget is about 1 million (i can't be sure whether this was exactly the same as at Dortmund but it was pretty close).

Anyone know if this is a known issue? It hadn't happened at all changing betwen clubs up to now and the only thing i did differently was apply again for the same job whilst waiting on the intial response.

Anyway...Freiburg are the new PSG in my Career Mode..............

That's pretty crazy...

... but what I really want to know is how you accumulated 189 million in a season and a half? wtf?

That's pretty crazy...

... but what I really want to know is how you accumulated 189 million in a season and a half? wtf?

Haha. Actually it would have been more like 2.5 seasons really as I joined Dortmund in mid Oct of my first season and played a further 2 seasons after that before going to Freiburg.

The initial transfer budget was pretty healthy to begin with. Basically won the league twice and the Champions Cup in the second season. Won the domestic Cup in the second season too. Also got some crazy transfer offers for players. Just before the end of each season i reduced the transfer budget to zero so that everything was 0:100. This seems to allow you to keep most of your accummulated winnings when you start the next season as part of the transfer budget. I thought this was well a known exploit but i don't feel that bad doing it as i'm only retaining my due and proper.

Playing on world class by the way (he said defensively trying to establish that he is not all cheat and no skill.......)

1909219_10203547121897881_1808473652171750902_o.jpg

Something went a bit screwy, I have a £2 billion or trillion? wage budget!

Fancy a career, any suggestions?

Preferably a 3 star or less team. Thinking perhaps outside the major leagues. Maybe Greece, Russia or Turkey?

There's no Greek or Turkish league so you can't do a career mode with those teams.

Russian Premier League is in the game so Russian teams are a possibility.

Anyone tried lower league management? For whatever reason I'm finding it much easier than the Premier League. I've got amazing strikers at Northampton, currently top of the league! Too bad they're all loan players

I've been thinking about starting one with Wolves in League 1, but I've started one with Arsenal in the meantime, bought Lacazette, Mangala and somehow managed to land Matuidi from PSG. I didn't go for a striker, as they need in real life, because Walcott is ludicrously good in this as a central striker.

So far I managed to draw my opening match with Villa thanks to a comedy goal conceded and loads of wasted chances in front of goal. Second game, somehow lost a match to Fulham despite dominating and again conceding a comedy goal followed by some crazy stuff going on - hit a shot which rebounded off both posts before going to the keeper, that kind of stuff.

Next up though, I stuffed Sunderland 4-0 away from home. By the second half, the home supporters were so subdued you couldn't hear anything but the players calling and a few away fans. Really nice touch that.

Anyone tried lower league management? For whatever reason I'm finding it much easier than the Premier League. I've got amazing strikers at Northampton, currently top of the league! Too bad they're all loan players

Sounds true to life :SMUG:

I'm actually the Northampton data editor, do you have the latest update? Marquis should be 60, Sinclair 57, Toney 55. Unless you're talking about players you brought in yourself...

Sounds true to life :SMUG:

I'm actually the Northampton data editor, do you have the latest update? Marquis should be 60, Sinclair 57, Toney 55. Unless you're talking about players you brought in yourself...

I'm 99% sure I used the latest update for this game but I don't remember. After some player growth, I think Marquis is 61, Sinclair is 60, and Nicholls is 61. Sinclair and Nicholls are my starting two, perfect big man-little man partnership. Also Christian Lopez (61) has chipped in with a few.

I'm 99% sure I used the latest update for this game but I don't remember. After some player growth, I think Marquis is 61, Sinclair is 60, and Nicholls is 61. Sinclair and Nicholls are my starting two, perfect big man-little man partnership. Also Christian Lopez (61) has chipped in with a few.

Forgot about Nicholls, he's been out injured for about 18 months.

Started a new CM with Spurs, my third attempt having been sacked twice on World Class difficulty. I disabled the first transfer window. It all started as before, my first eight games saw two wins, four draws, two defeats, but then I altered formation and tactics from top to bottom, and since then have gone from 12th to third by mid-Jan. I'm in the final of the Carling Cup, a few points off second place, and the transfer window has just ended with me picking up two amazing signings in Mangala from Porto and Pogba from Juventus - it's quite easy to get players it seems. Pogba came in a £12M deal plus Sandro.

I also got three youngers, one as it turns out is known for being the best young player in the game and is quite frankly ludicrously good - he is so fast on the ball. I also got two top talents from Lyon and Bayern for barely anything, some good wheeling and dealing meaning my squad is leaner, better, and cheaper.

Last edited:
This is odd, there are a few players I'm interested in signing as their contracts are running out in two months but there's no option to offer a pre-contract. I was able to put offers in for other players whose contracts were expiring but not these three. Am I missing something here?

They're over 23 and it's currently the transfer window?

Yeah, one was Gomis, um, Skirtel I think and the other Emmanuelson at Milan, but it's now the summer window rather than January. It's really odd. I looked at other players like Lewandowski and Menez, and they had the option to approach to sign on a pre-contract, but the others I mentioned didn't. When I click on their status they have an exclamation mark saying something like 'contract expires in two months' but still no option to approach to sign.

Also, talk about harsh, I met all expectations in year one with Spurs this time - finished third in the league ahead of Arsenal on goal difference, win the league cup and got to the FA cup semis, and the board expectation is to win the frickin' Champions League! With a transfer budget of £20m.

Last edited:
Could they be about to retire? Anyone over 28/29 with a contract expiring has a good chance of being about to retire (thanks to shit awful programming and refusal to fix the game).

Could they be about to retire? Anyone over 28/29 with a contract expiring has a good chance of being about to retire (thanks to shit awful programming and refusal to fix the game).

Ooh I dunno to be honest, there's nothing in the descriptions to indicate that but it wouldn't surprise me if they just suddenly retired with no warning. Problem is there's no contract information, so I can't tell if Gomis for example decided to sign a new contract. Skirtel is different though, it says he's got two months of his contract left but I only have the option to approach to buy from Liverpool.

Hey Guys,

Started a Chelsea career and I'm in my 3rd season. Won the league, Champions League, and FA Cup twice; sold off some old boys and generally reshaped my squad: Here's a look at my starting XI:

P. Cech (85);
Azpilicueta (80), David Luiz (86), N. Subotic (87), R. Bertrand (79);
Matic (82);
Juan Mata (87), Isco (86)
J. Rodriguez (88), L. Insigne (83), E. Hazard (89) [Formation: 4-1-2-3 (Custom)]

The subjects of my post are James and Isco.

You see I bought them for very large sums and promised them both Crucial roles (they wouldn't agree to anything else). So I wanna know; what's the recommended number of games you can leave them out of before they get mad? I don't want any stupid Player Messages about "My Role at the Club"

Thanks!

Right, season one done and dusted, for the first time ever I made it to the end of a season without being fired!

I started crap as usual, with 2 wins from my opening 8 PL games with Spurs. I then found a tactical way of beating the game and ended up rising from 12th to 3rd. The final day was great, I sat in fourth with Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal all level on points, meaning one team would miss out on the Champions League possibly by how low scoring their win would be on the final day. Knowing I'd need goals, I somehow managed to score after one minute, and wound up beating Villa 4-0 to clinch third at the expense of rivals Arsenal. I also won the League Cup in a successful first season. Soldado ended up with a ridiculous 41 goals in all competitions, 27 in the PL. Eriksen came second on 16 goals, as the CAM in a 4-5-1.

I ended up getting an offer of £25M for Eriksen from PSG, which I reluctantly negotiated, and ended up getting £36M for him. I used some of that to sign Schmeltzer from Dortmund, Draxler from Schalke and Mandukic from Bayern. I have switched to a narrow 4-4-2 and seem to be continuing where I left off, though the formation change means Soldado is getting nowhere near the same levels of service, but all round I've got a stronger side now.

Last edited:
Career mode is actually really boring. The furthest I've got is halfway through season 2 with Spurs before getting bored and starting another one with Man Utd.

I pretty much discovered that if you do a press conference and always choose to praise your own team, they'll always be on form. If the press conference doesn't appear, which is sometimes doesn't, your team will play like utter dog shit. What a crap system.

Finally, I won the PL with Spurs, restarted with Man Utd, went something like ten games unbeaten at the top of the table, then for no reason, all of a sudden, all my players feel terrible. Simple two yard passes are going astray, players 'feel' really clunky and the ball keeps bouncing off their shins, they'll run past my pass, stretch and miss the ball, that kind of thing. I have no idea why, apparently their morale and form is good. I just lost two easy games because of it, I really don't get it.

Not that I'll really care that much, CM is dull. It's pretty much entirely just skip to next match, play, skip, press conference, play, skip, on repeat. No club building, no proper training or player development, and an annoying scout system that constantly fills your inbox with pointless updates.

Back
Top Bottom