FIFA 10 Custom Tactics / Formations

I really can't imagine EA choose to ignore this major bug that can be easily resolved by their database team or a squad update .

This Custom Tactics stuff they created during FIFA 09 is an excellent step towards a better football simulation experience. Even PES copied it this year. Why? Because it is brilliant.
Yet, they shoot themselves in the foot because of ridiculous settings for most of the teams.

I believe most ppl are not asking for a spot on custom tactics for every teams, but at least varies it across every team.

I enjoyed FIFA as a game, but I can't believe I had to work so hard to enjoy it.

Let' s hope something happen with the next squad update.

I believe most ppl are not asking for a spot on custom tactics for every teams, but at least varies it across every team.
Exactly, hit the nail on the head.

I enjoyed FIFA as a game, but I can't believe I had to work so hard to enjoy it.
Agreed 110% again, I refuse to edit all the teams out of principle, knowing that they all have their different assigned tactics in the database but somehow the export process has removed them all (outside of the Premier League etc.).

Playing Manager Mode outside of the top flight is not at all enjoyable for me at the moment, knowing that every team is going to come at you like a pack of starved tigers.

It's really hard to sit down and enjoy the game knowing how many things are wrong with it, and with the gameplay being so good (IMO) it's gut-wrenching.

neo, are you going to upload your squad file so we can share it?

Hi,
My Squad File is not complete and i think it is in a mess due to the various testing i am doing with the custom tactics.

I am also waiting for the latest patch and squad update to see what is going to happen..

No idea how? How about just telling the game to use the data that the editors provided in the database already?

Well I've already been told there won't be a new squad file before January, so really have no clue how they'll fix the tactics without a new squad file.......

Wigan

Roberto Martinez 's side had been playing a style of football few people will have expect from them. By adding a few players into his 1st team line up, he had managed to get his team to play a fluid passing game whenever possible. Diame and Hendry Thomas had added steel to his centre mid, yet the most surprising move is to place Paul Scharner as an attacking mid. Scharner had managed to add height and strength in the final 3rd of the field, a trait and ability which Rodallega and Scotland are lacking at the moment. However, with Scharner disturbing the opponent defence with his physical play, Rodallega, N Zogbia and Scotland had been causing trouble with their pace and flair.

Martinez had brought to the team his spanish technical way of football. Wigan this season had always try to play a passing game whenever possible. However, they do still go to their direct way of football whenever they are under pressure from their opposition. Still, if you are a neutral fan and do not know which team to support beside the big 4. Wigan will the team to watch this season for their style of football and energy. West Brom tried to play a similar style of football last season, but they lack the quality and steel needed in the EPL eventually. I believe Wigan are a better team this season. With diame , thomas and scharner providing steel, the quality will be from Rodallega and N Zogbia. They will not go down this season.

Formation:4-2-3-1 ((Position, Name , Att/Def workrate, Att/Def arrow )

GK: Kirkland
RB: Melchiot (Med/Med)
CB: Bramble (Low/High)
CB: Boyce (Low/High)
LB: Figeuroa (High/Med) Att arrow up
LDM: Diame (Low/High)
RDM: H.Thomas (Low/High)
CAM: Scharner (High/Med)
LAM: Rodallega (High/Low) Attarrow diagonal right
RAM: N'Zogbia (High/Low) Att arrow diagonal left
ST: Scotland (Hight/low)

Custom Tactics

Build Up Play
Speed - 50
Passing - 40
Positioning - Organised

Chance Creation
Passing - 70
Crossing - 50
Shooting - 70
Positioning - Free Form

Defence
Pressure - 40
Aggression - 60
Width - 45
Defence Line - Cover

Key points

1. Figueroa can be also positioned at LWB if neccessary as he likes to support the attack on the left.

2. Rodallega and N'Zogbia interchange position quite regularly. You can alternatively place them on RAM and LAM respectively.

Wouldn't you say Rodallega and Nzogbia are more LW/RW than LAM/RAM? At least it's going to destroy Roddie's overall to put him at LAM I'm guessing?

I have put rodallega as LAM as he had been playing there primary this season for wigan.
So just wanna create a realistic wigan team in my opinion.

Yes and I'm trying to say that having watched Wigan numerous times this season he and N'zogbia play as wingers off the front man IMO not wide midfielders.

hi can someone please tell me how i go about changing the work rate i can seem to find it anywhere???

also where is the best place to navigate custom tactics from?

thanks

@placebo
I agree with u, they tend to play on the wide cutting in... Will amend and see how it plays out.

@pastylad
you can change workrate but u can adjust the attack / defence mentality

work rate is in the formation settings, it's the second option between base position and attacking arrows.

Does anyone watch enough Man City, Valencia, or Inter to know their tactics? I've got an idea but I'm not exactly sure.

Last edited:
Aston Villa

With a British core and a mixture of speed, stamina and strength, Martin O'Neill has assembled a spirited side intentionally suited to the battlegrounds of English league football. Effort and work-rate are guaranteed.

Stylistically there's a leaning towards the counter-attack, exploiting the dangerous pace of Young and in particular Agbonlahor, supplemented by the sheer box-to-box graft and energy of Milner and Sidwell. Of the midfielders it is captain Stiliyan Petrov who adopts the support role, certainly not an out-and-out holding midfielder but the more disciplined and patient of the four.

Carew's presence enables the ball to be transitioned quickly into attack with his hold-up play, as well as presenting a danger from frequent crosses and - along with Collins/Dunne and the delivery of Ashley Young - from set-pieces. Most of what Villa create from open play comes from spreading the ball wide to Young and Milner on the wings, which can be menacing but can also suffer predictability.

Formation: 4-4-2 ((Position, Name , Att/Def workrate, Att/Def arrow )

GK: Friedel
RB: Cuellar (LOW/HIGH)
CB: Collins (LOW/HIGH)
CB: Dunne (LOW/HIGH)
LB: Warnock (LOW/HIGH)
RM: Milner (HIGH/MED) Attarrow forwards ->
RCM: Sidwell (HIGH/MED) Attarrow forwards ->
LCM: Petrov (MED/HIGH)
LM: A.Young (HIGH/MED) Attarrow forwards -> (also nudge his position about 10 notches forward)
RS: Carew (MED/MED)
LS: Agbonlahor (HIGH/LOW) Attarrow forwards ->

Custom Tactics

Build Up Play
Speed - 65
Passing - 65
Positioning - Organised

Chance Creation
Passing - 30
Crossing - 60
Shooting - 50
Positioning - Free Form

Defence
Pressure - 25
Aggression - 53
Width - 45
Defence Line - Cover

Roles
Left corner - A.Young
Right corner - Milner (outswing) or Warnock (inswing)
Direct FK - A.Young
Long FK - A.Young
Penalties - Milner
Captain - Petrov

Additional notes

1. Although Carlos Cuellar, a centre back, is currently starting at right back (and at the time of writing he has played every minute this season), he is covering for the return of Luke Young who is most likely to be the starter in that position.

2. Away from home against the better teams (e.g. at Anfield in August), often Carew will be sacrificed for an additional central midfielder in a 4-5-1 (the Villa Default formation doesn't do a bad job of that one).

Examples (CPU v CPU)

http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/12262843
Warnock scraps to win the ball, then Petrov spots a chance to exploit Agbonlahor's pace in behind. From the resulting corner Dunne went close with a header.

Last edited:
How are the tactics for the top spanish/italian teams?

Have no Idea how they play so haven't adjusted them, kinda hoping they are accurate enough so I don't have to restart my MM when I swith leagues. There was a difference in 09, so Im hoping the pressure is good from the start.

Guys

Just an observation that I made... I have created about 12 different custom tactics for the premier league teams and randomly assigned them to the lower league teams. I started a new MM with Notts County but it seems that the opposition are still using the Generic High-Risky-Lots tactic... Is anyone else seeing this. Seems like I have wasted hours of my life.

Do I need to change the quick tactics aswell ?:FAIL:

nerf - with 50 shooting game is not playable . AI cant score with clear situations. 80-90 is ok .
Can't score, or won't score? Either way, I don't agree. I watched a number of CPU-controlled Villa exhibitions and they were quite capable of scoring.

If I raised Shooting to 80-90 they would be constantly trying to position themselves on the edge of the area or looking for the cutback... that would be fine for some teams, but in Villa's case I wanted them in the box trying to get on the end of crosses.

@ Deebouk,

I think the MM menu's aren't updated and they just keep the old descriptions, Im pretty sure Ive got Chelsea on contain but in the menu's it said double. They do actually play according to the tactics I gave them.

@ Nerf,

The postioning for crosses is determind by the "crossing" number. That isn't only for how quick players put crosses in but also how much effort attackers make to run into the box. Ive put all my shooting on 80+ otherwise they would wait too long in the matches I saw. Played on WC btw.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that as well, it must be hardcoded in but they're using the new tactics I set them, you can check yourself by choosing the opposing team in the pre-match screen then going through to check their tactics.

@ Nerf,

The postioning for crosses is determind by the "crossing" number. That isn't only for how quick players put crosses in but also how much effort attackers make to run into the box. Ive put all my shooting on 80+ otherwise they would wait too long in the matches I saw. Played on WC btw.
Correct, but if I raise Crossing then they will pump crosses in even earlier from too deep positions, which I don't want.

To me, the three settings under Chance Creation (Passing, Crossing, Shooting) are a mix that balance against each other. They must impact each other because they all affect where the player positions himself in the attacking third.

If your teammate is making "the extra effort to position themselves looking for shooting opportunities" (Shooting: Lots), then that will mean he's less likely to be making a run behind for a risky through ball, and less often attacking the six-yard box for a cross.

Plus maybe it's a Difficulty setting thing. Watching the CPU on Legendary, I found that they were happily shooting enough on 50.

In fact, here's a match I just watched:
Villa (CPU) 2 - 1 Wigan (CPU), 7 min halves, Legendary.
Villa Chance Creation: 30, 60, 50.
Wigan Chance Creation: 70, 35, 80.
Shots: 7, 7
On Target: 6, 5
Agbonlahor's first goal came after Sidwell's shot from 19 yards was blocked into his path - he took one touch and then tucked it away from near the penalty spot.
Agbonlahor's second goal came when he got onto the end of Young's lobbed pass through the defence, again one touch to control, and as Kirkland dived out he sidefooted it into the corner of the net.
Rodallega scored a penalty.

I didn't see any reluctance to shoot from either team

Repeat match, same settings but with Villa's shooting raised to 80.

Villa won 2-0. Young scored with a header from a Carew cross on a counter-attack, and Heskey came off the bench to scramble in a 90th minute goal from a corner.

Villa did have more shots in this game, 13, but the same number on target (6). Wigan (still 80 shooting as before) had 9/5. I got the impression that Villa tried to narrow the play towards the area a bit more in the final third, and seemed to put in fewer crosses. I would have to run more than one test to see if this was constantly the case though.

There was one occasion when Carew attempted a shot from between 20-25 yards out. For him this is unrealistic. Villa as a team do not often attempt long range efforts - we have very few players capable of it. For Wigan, on the other hand, it's realistic for the likes of Koumas and Rodallega to want to let fly from outside the area. Same for Chelsea with Lampard, Essien, Drogba etc.

'Horses for courses', which is what Custom Tactics is all about. I'll stick with 50 for Villa, in that particular case. For the majority of teams I agree that 70+ might be the way to go.

@nerf

Thanks for the villa tactics... excellent. You r better at it than me.

Just to check r u on legendary difficulty? i feel that is the only mode for the AI to work properly. Just that if you are losing and it will be unplayable in the last 10 mins of the game. I just cant get the ball back.

just to say neo, as a Blackburn Rovers fan, I would like to contribute my take on their cutsom tactics if that is alright ....

Blackburn Rovers

Sam Allardyce has but together a well drilled and extremely aggressive Blackburn side that will hopefully manage to secure a mid -table finish to stabalize them selves after a poor last season.

Allardyce has formed a 4-4-1-1 system for when playing home games and the infamous 4-3-2-1 (christmas tree) formation he used when at Bolton when facing the big clubs, or he sticks to using a ordinairy 4-5-1

Formation: 4-4-1-1 (Position, Name , Att/Def workrate, Att/Def arrow )

GK: Robinson
RB: Jacobsen (MED/HIGH) Attacking arrows forward
CB: Samba (LOW/HIGH)
CB: Nelsen (LOW/HIGH)
LWB: Chimbonda(MED/HIGH)
RM: Diouf (MED/MED) Attacking arrow forward
RCM: Andrews (MED/MED) Defensive arrow backward
LCM: N'Zonzi (MED/MED)
LM: Pedersen (MED/HIGH) Attacking arrow forward
CF: Dunn (MED/HIGH) Defensive arrow back
ST: Di Santo (LOW/HIGH)

Roles

Left Corner: Diouf
Right Corner Diouf
Direct Freekick: Diouf
Penalties: Dunn
Long Freekick: Pedersen
Captain: Nelsen

Additional Points

1. Chimbonda must be LWB because he loves to bomb forwards and supply crosses and try to cut open the defence, a great example of this is his goal against Burnley last week.
2. Andrews sits in midfield while N'Zonzo floats around making passes
3. Dunn's has defensive arrow back so he drop deep and link up play.

Custom tactics

Build up
Speed: 65
Passing: 70
Positioning: Organised

Chance Creation
Passing: 70
Shooting: 55
Crossing: 80
Positioning: Organised

Defending
Pressing: 50
Agression: 70
Width: 40
Line: Cover

Last edited:
Thanks for contributing, Rotocoro. I haven't tried those, but surely with 80/70 for Pressure and Aggression they will double press almost the entire length of the field. This doesn't strike me as realistic.

Have you tried these under AI control, or is this just for human control?

How do you go about saving a team's custom tactics (as their own - ie so the computer will play them against you). I only find an option for me to save, so that i can load them as a tactic of mine.

Also anyone noticed when you set the game to slow you will play one game on the slow setting and even if you leave it on slow your next match will be played on the normanl setting?

Back
Top Bottom