FIFA 09 Videos & Pictures

This is exactly the kind of stuff I don't want to see on FIFA 10.

I'm really enjoying Manager Mode. I was using fully manual controls on World Class and drawing every game 0-0 (literally, nearly half a season of 0-0s), so I stuck the difficulty up one and put the passing onto semi. Having a blast, winning some and losing some for a change, BUT... This is what you get on Legendary.

(Notice how the guy who heads it in turns around and dives within milliseconds - for him to do this in reality he would have to start diving before he'd even turned around...)

YouTube - FIFA 09 Legendary ridiculousness (ANGLE 1)

From a better angle, but with the end cut off for no apparent reason:

YouTube - FIFA 09 Legendary ridiculousness (ANGLE 2)

Last edited:
Even on worldclass the CPU every now and then would pull some ridiculous stuff.

Have you noticed how in worldclass and legendary where ever there is a cross from around that position as in your video on either side of the pitch 80% of the time it results to a goal?

Which you can't defend because the player switching is crap, that's why I was playing on professional for a while until recently as I got bored of winning every game.

It happened to me twice in one game against Ac milan, the same routine and bang! Pato is scoring headers against my defenders. fucking Pato scores two header in like 5 mins.....I just turned off my PS3

Doesn't that only happen on assisted?

I wish there was some way to do curled passes on manual, I don't know how it could be implemented though...

This is exactly the kind of stuff I don't want to see on FIFA 10.

I'm really enjoying Manager Mode. I was using fully manual controls on World Class and drawing every game 0-0 (literally, nearly half a season of 0-0s), so I stuck the difficulty up one and put the passing onto semi. Having a blast, winning some and losing some for a change, BUT... This is what you get on Legendary.

(Notice how the guy who heads it in turns around and dives within milliseconds - for him to do this in reality he would have to start diving before he'd even turned around...)
Personally speaking, that sort of thing doesn't bother me. They crossed it to the back post, picked out an unmarked man and he scored a difficult header. Goal, let's play. I'd blame myself for allowing the cross to come in and for not having a centre-back good enough to mark the forward more tightly.

I think you're only picking over an unrealistic and 'gamey' bit of animation. I'm also not convinced that the goal is due to the difficulty setting.

I would be more concerned about the nearest defender on the penalty spot who turns and runs straight up the pitch. Presumably you were controlling him, because I've never seen my defenders do that?

Doesn't that only happen on assisted?

I wish there was some way to do curled passes on manual, I don't know how it could be implemented though...

It's possible but you can't do it intentionally

I have done it a few time, I just dnt have a clue how

definitely something to do with L2/LT

Personally speaking, that sort of thing doesn't bother me. They crossed it to the back post, picked out an unmarked man and he scored a difficult header. Goal, let's play.
He turned around and dived within milliseconds, look at the slow-motion replay for evidence of that fact. That is physically impossible so how that doesn't bother you, especially when it's not something I've ever managed to do as the human player, I have no idea.

(And yes I know you don't believe in "cheating" either but I'm not saying that the game has a conscious mind and it wants to cheat me because it thinks it will be hilarious, I'm saying it's programmed to win by doing things the human player cannot.)

I'd blame myself for allowing the cross to come in and for not having a centre-back good enough to mark the forward more tightly.
That's not the point of the video, at all, in the slightest. I could be the world's worst player of the game - for all I know, I am. It's the fact that a player had completely turned around and was mid-air with his head on the ball within milliseconds.

Half a second, yes. Milliseconds, no.

I would be more concerned about the nearest defender on the penalty spot who turns and runs straight up the pitch. Presumably you were controlling him, because I've never seen my defenders do that?
I have no idea who I am controlling to be honest, when the goal went in that was all I was worried about.

Anything that can't happen in real life that happens in a football game pisses me off, and if I concede a goal because of it, I get very tempted to just turn off the console...

That goal is one of those things, we shouldn't be seeing that sort of thing in games nowadays... it's FIFA 98-esque...

Also, the AI only ever seems to score headers against me, they fuck up almost every shot they get with their feet or run into the keeper - it's like they have to score these ridiculous headers to get any goals at all...

He turned around and dived within milliseconds, look at the slow-motion replay for evidence of that fact. That is physically impossible so how that doesn't bother you, especially when it's not something I've ever managed to do as the human player, I have no idea.
I agree it's physically impossible and unrealistic, that's why I used the word 'gamey', I'm just saying that personally I accept the occasional occurance of that as a limitation of a video game. The game judged it was within his reach and played the anim it needed to make contact with the ball, that's really all that matters imo.

That's not the point of the video, at all, in the slightest. I could be the world's worst player of the game - for all I know, I am.
Oh it wasn't a criticism, I was just exposing the mentality I have towards that kind of thing when I'm playing my MM. That's all :)

I have no idea who I am controlling to be honest, when the goal went in that was all I was worried about.
Well, he's the defender responsible for the attacker who scored. If you pause the video when the cross is struck, you can see that on the far side the right back has a problem, he's halfway between the winger and striker who scores. He takes the winger as his responsibility and leaves the striker to the centre-back, who unfortunately isn't tight enough and the striker pulls off him towards the back post. Then when the ball is in flight, instead of back-pedalling to (optimistically) intercept/challenge he instead turns and sprints inexplicably up the pitch.

That's not the point of the video, I know. It's just that when people concede a goal they consider to be an injustice, they can be quick to point the finger at the difficulty setting and get annoyed and frustrated. My opinion is that the goal itself was not unfair, the diving header anim just looked a little odd.

...Yeh... I play on semi. :(

Don't hate me :(

I manual my crossing though cause it leads to crazy goals hehe.

(the pass and goal is on legendary btw)

Last edited:
Semi/Manual is probably the best combo in my opinion. Manual just makes you an outcast against Assisted players.

gotta love the ones that go in off the bar....This has to marked down for a lack of pressing right on the left analogue to do thumb sucking :-)

Now you see the great difference it makes to have manual shooting. It's another game completely (even if there is still a lot of ballooning and now you'll go for some corner-shots...)

i absolutely love full manual, the variation in goals is endless.

scored beauty last night england vs czech rep. long ball down the line for ashley young who sees gerrard steaming in to the back post and when gets to the goal line (on that 45 degree angle) hits the cross while stumbling (so you get that outside of the foot curl, which leaves cech stranded) and the ball lands pefectly in front of gerrard for him to smash the volley home from about 3 yards. i would have uploaded the video, but everytime i tried it said it was uploaded incorrectly.

also scored a low driven shot at the near post from outside the box with rooney, looked quality as it caught the keeper by surprise. same problem with uploading the video.

the goals above are brilliant, better goals are coming up now most play on full manual.

I would love to be playing manual but MM and the AI are just shit and when you search for manual games online none are ever found so its hard to practice

I am playing MM on manual now and i have to say its 100 times better than it is on anything else

Scoring goals even the scrappiest means more because its all you, the only 2 downsides is that the AI cant score for toffee on professional and if i ever went online with manual even if i was a good manual player i would get raped by anyone who not on the same due to them pinging the ball around at will and me having to take more time to pass

And some of these goals here are great as well, now i have seen how hard it is to do you appreciate how good they are

Back
Top Bottom