FIFA 09: Ultimate Team - DISCUSSION THREAD

Offset sounds good. But Tim7, although I can train players in real life to reach their potential, not every player can top the ratings if that's the correct term for it, if you know what I mean. Some players have an overall ability. e.g. I know that in the right team Crouch can become a decent striker, but he's hardly going to be playing for Barcelona even when at his best etc.
I've never seen a player boosted to 99, I don't think it would be possible when the training cards give as much as they take away.

Training cards have three different values, what they will boost a bronze player by, a silver player by and a gold player by. The bronze value is always the highest (for example PACE +3) but the silver and gold values are less (PACE +2 and PACE +1). The offset value for all three is usually the opposite of the lowest boost value (SHOOTING -1).

So as you can see, using that system, you can accelerate a bronze player into a silver player if you play your cards right, and a silver player into a gold player over time, but getting a gold player to become a 99-skill player would be extremely difficult because it will usually be the case that for every one attribute you boost you will be subtracting the same value from a different one.

And Chris Bauer, how is the online play? I agreed with one of your earlier posts about it being garbage due to the all assisted zombies, but is UT an improvement or just more of the same? The reason I'd be reluctant to take it online is, even if the teams were more varied, I'd still end up playing all assisted ping pong. As an all manual player it's not impossible, but not much fun either.
To be honest with you it's a nightmare online, I've found two non-assisted players so far and the rest have been fully-assisted kiddies. Saying that, now that I've boosted my team chemistry by getting players of the same nation and formation, I can beat them at their own game and so it's "fun" in that respect. But it's still nothing like playing real football, with pinball passing everywhere. I'll be going into a bit more detail on this in the next FIFASOCCERBLOG.COM podcast.

Last edited:
Damn it last night I bought a bronze pack, but kept getting an error when going to assign my cards.

Had to quit to dashboard, so no idea if my coins are away. Almost got enough coins for my first Gold pack. I better not be dissapointed :)

I've never seen a player boosted to 99, I don't think it would be possible when the training cards give as much as they take away.

Training cards have three different values, what they will boost a bronze player by, a silver player by and a gold player by. The bronze value is always the highest (for example PACE +3) but the silver and gold values are less (PACE +2 and PACE +1). The offset value for all three is usually the opposite of the lowest boost value (SHOOTING -1).

So as you can see, using that system, you can accelerate a bronze player into a silver player if you play your cards right, and a silver player into a gold player over time, but getting a gold player to become a 99-skill player would be extremely difficult because it will usually be the case that for every one attribute you boost you will be subtracting the same value from a different one.

To be honest with you it's a nightmare online, I've found two non-assisted players so far and the rest have been fully-assisted kiddies. Saying that, now that I've boosted my team chemistry by getting players of the same nation and formation, I can beat them at their own game and so it's "fun" in that respect. But it's still nothing like playing real football, with pinball passing everywhere. I'll be going into a bit more detail on this in the next FIFASOCCERBLOG.COM podcast.

Cheers that's cleared it up a bit. I'll probably be giving this a go soon.

Have a formation in mind that you want to play from the off, and match your players to that formation as much as possible.

It's hard to get a game going and then switch formation as you lose loads of chemistry when all of your players want to play 4-4-2 and you then play 4-3-3.

Keep an eye on contracts, always try to keep contract cards spare.

chemistry is key.

Try and have a back 4 from the same country it boosts your chemistry great.

I had a chemistry of 50 when I started my first game, now I have added silver players it going down as I am trying to fit in better players :(

I'm having trouble getting my chemistry up. I've settled on a formation but its nigh on impossible of getting some training cards for that formation with the way the trading system is at the minute!

It needs more filters / search options

Got Torres in a gold pack yesterday and put him up for trade for 25,000 starting price and 35,000 BIN. Within 5 minutes, I had some guy offer me Lampard, Maxwell and Saviola. After 10 minutes, he sold for 35,000. And this was at 2AM in the morning haha

Maybe a silly question for you englishmen but does Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland go toghether with England as a nationality boost in this mode?

Doubt it Scorpio, we're all seperate nations with seperate national teams :)

Imo they should all work together as I thought the chemistry thing was about language, but I guess not.

Yeah it's like saying Giggs can't work toghether with Rooney or Scholes because of their nationality for example. EA can make some weird decisions sometimes.

yea plus it gives managers from big football countries a huge advantage over someone like alex ferguson, as I assume he's given Scottish nationality and I don't imagine you'd be able to fill a team with scottish nationals (if you want to win anything :) and get no bonus for players like scholes or giggs, as you say.

This is ridiculous. I've lost 5 of my tournaments. They've just disappeared. I had the Gold Ulimate Team Trophy one. Fucking hell... :CURSE:

This is ridiculous. I've lost 5 of my tournaments. They've just disappeared. I had the Gold Ulimate Team Trophy one. Fucking hell... :CURSE:

The more of this game mode that people play the more bugs seem to come out, makes you wonder if they did any testing at all

I am playing a cup and have a discovered a bug, I play the Semi-Final and win, then when it comes to the final, nothing happens. The game hangs on the main cup screen, I press the button to go to next game but nothing happens, I can't exit as well. So have to quit to the dashboard. When I reload have to play the semi final and samething as above happens. (have done this 3 times).

Anyone else experienced this?

And the EA Servers are fucked yet again. If they're not up for Clubs tonight I'll be majorly pissed.

guys! anyone has this or know how to fix it, or will this fix itself

i have stuck aload of trade cards up, they have all expired and are visible in my trade status, but nothing in showing in my trade pile and i can't send anyone else there as it says it is full?

i have stuck aload of trade cards up, they have all expired and are visible in my trade status, but nothing in showing in my trade pile and i can't send anyone else there as it says it is full?

Go view each one, click on it, that should then remove it from there and move it back to your trade pile, do it for every expired card in turn.

Go view each one, click on it, that should then remove it from there and move it back to your trade pile, do it for every expired card in turn.

i was doing that before... viewing them, there status was expired

but they remained in the trade status, and nothing moved to the trade pile which remained empty

hopefully it is just a server glitch as they were hit and miss before, if not then i am kind of fooked as i cannot move, delete them and i can't send anymore there, i have player contracts running out i wanna trade etc- kind of ruined my game if it stays like this

Soooooooo today's UT playing consisted of:

Played 2
Won 2
Froze at A/B screen and thus losing the progress of the tournament 2
Wasted time on laggy trading screens 2 hours

What a fucking disgrace, this was released 10 days ago now? And it's still as unreliable as the day it was released?

UT = Ultimate Team? I think not, more like Unreal Torment, Usually Trouble, Unreal Traumas, Uploaded Tantrums.

Last edited:
turns out it was the server reporting my trades as expired, when infact they were still active... thankfully

its rare i get to play this game and when i do, it has trouble

You guys are all lucky, at least you get to play.
For some crazy unknown reason. FIFA 09 Ultimate Team has not come to the South Afrcan PSN store yet! Would anyone know why, I'e been made to suffer :-).

Mode is a nightmare isnt it - so much hanging, bugs, crashes etc.

Had to give up in the end yesterday and do manager mode instead as UT just wouldnt work at all...

Back
Top Bottom