FIFA 09 NG Improvements Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's completely trivial but the pre-kick-off routine looks really stupid.

At start of match, when the players run out onto the pitch, they shouldn't be doing their warm ups in a line. They would have done all that stuff 20 minutes before kick-off. They should run to their positions, perhaps do some individual stretches, jogging on spot, defenders maybe fire a few last shots in at the keeper whilst the captains should meet at centre circle with the ref to toss coin.

Quoting myself, but of course, some teams should go into a huddle pre-kick-off, but preferrably only those teams that do it in real life, eg. Celtic.

And tiktiktik, did you include that at free-kicks/corners, we should have the option to choose normal camera view and not be forced to the low-down, behind the man and ball view?

Other teams should just stand around stroking a ball about and having a chat with each other... That warm up routine looked crap on Club Football by Codemasters so why an earth did EA decide to follow their example? Just as well the game is decent to play :)

yo guys they need the ability to creat online tournaments, for instance an online world cup, uefa 2008 and champions league, but dont leave out south american or north america, i want the gold cup and the copa libatadores as well...

In Manager Mode, if you get promoted from the Coca-Cola Championship, the badge should change into a EPL badge and the home ball should turn into a Nike ball. And if you get relegated your badge should turn into a Coca-Cola league badge and the home ball should be made by Meite(?).

Updated.

@ Jay,

Its been two weeks now and it seems to be drying up. Time to finish it off and send it off / have a poll?

Yep I agree with this StayingPower, how difficult could it be to change a Badge and a Ball ID from being promoted? Not difficult at all. I for one would also like the ability to change kit designs ;) Expecting a bit too much of FIFA 09 though I think. It will be a tweaked up FIFA 08 with a few new things added.

For me they need to remodel the players from scratch, that means bodies and faces. PES2008 got them spot on...

...shame that's the only thing Konami got right. Oh, and the animations after being taken down by a slide tackle need improving.

Weather should impact upon the playing conditions (I think EA already mentioned they were going down this route but no harm in reinforcing it):

Rain should affect ball behaviour. Light rain should make the ball zip across the surface. Heavier rain should mean reduced ball bounce. Heaviest rain should result in ball getting held up on surface. Surface should cut up.

Wind should affect flight of ball. Wind speed should not be just on/off but have variable speeds from match to match. High balls should be more susceptible to being affected by wind. Shooting with wind behind should be more powerful than shooting into wind.

Hot weather should affect players stamina. Sprinting around too much should cause them to be more drained of fluid and energy before the end of match.

Winter matches, particularly lower league, should be prone to harder surfaces (icy but not so icy that the match wouldn't normally have been postponed) which results in more ball bounce. Players more prone to injury when landing on harder surface.

During winter, a cut up pitch should stay thus until the spring, when new grass growth would naturally occur to held repair the surface.

Weather should impact upon the playing conditions (I think EA already mentioned they were going down this route but no harm in reinforcing it):

Rain should affect ball behaviour. Light rain should make the ball zip across the surface. Heavier rain should mean reduced ball bounce. Heaviest rain should result in ball getting held up on surface. Surface should cut up.

Wind should affect flight of ball. Wind speed should not be just on/off but have variable speeds from match to match. High balls should be more susceptible to being affected by wind. Shooting with wind behind should be more powerful than shooting into wind.

Hot weather should affect players stamina. Sprinting around too much should cause them to be more drained of fluid and energy before the end of match.

Winter matches, particularly lower league, should be prone to harder surfaces (icy but not so icy that the match wouldn't normally have been postponed) which results in more ball bounce. Players more prone to injury when landing on harder surface.

During winter, a cut up pitch should stay thus until the spring, when new grass growth would naturally occur to held repair the surface.

I agree on all. ISS98 (which I whipped out and played recently, on emulator though, I have it on my 64 but no cable for my small non-scart tv...) had different ball behavior during rain. Less bounce and less friction when bouncing. Depending on how they have setup their physics system it might be easy o rcomplicated to achieve.

When we are on the subject of wind, why not also similate some basic drag patterns on the ball? Lots of curl in either side has the usual results, but very low-spinning balls at high speeds could wiggle and shift in thw air, possibly causing goalkeepers much trouble even when they might seem easy enough to catch. Could be fun. :)

And yeah, there should be a simple temperature display before the match, so you know just how hot it is. No need to specify it further, but aslong as it is designed well, if you are playing in 35 degrees C in an African stadium; expect stamina drops.

Nice ideas Winston. Also, I am a huge fan of the "slip on the pitch when turning too hard when it is soaked with rain" animation from ISS98. It should be rare, but it might make people handle the analog stick with care if they know their last defender might fall on his ass or atleast loose some much-needed edge if he tries to do a 180 with the sprint button held down. Also rare random slipping at high speed turning etc would be great aswell, especially if you can see a little piece of the pitch break away from under the boot, or atleast a bit of grass flying into the air as an indication of what happened. :)

In Manager Mode, I'd like to see the results and tables from other leagues, and stats from other players in other leagues. Also, in the edit mode, I'd like the change faces like in PES2008, because some faces are very bad. Also, for body models, it would be awesome if they were a bit thiner in general. Also are player body models should have small, medium, and large sizes with two types, muscle and fat. Players like Richards are big, but with muscle. While players like Blanco of Chicago Fire are big, but fat-ish.

Some things I can think of that I dont think have been mentioned:-

1. Camera angle for corner kicks is awful, either raise it or use the normal in-game camera.

2. If you are set to manual player switching, dont automatically reassign your player as soon as the corner is kicked. It means the pushing and shoving before the corner is taken is pretty usless if the cpu is just gonna make you a different player anyway...

3. Why doesnt Fifa remember your controller settings for players 2-4? If you sign each players xbox account in then fifa displays the users name in the controller settings page, but only ever saves player 1's preferences. Its a pain setting each persons preferences up each time i have my mates round...

Some things I can think of that I dont think have been mentioned:-

1. Camera angle for corner kicks is awful, either raise it or use the normal in-game camera.

2. If you are set to manual player switching, dont automatically reassign your player as soon as the corner is kicked. It means the pushing and shoving before the corner is taken is pretty usless if the cpu is just gonna make you a different player anyway...

3. Why doesnt Fifa remember your controller settings for players 2-4? If you sign each players xbox account in then fifa displays the users name in the controller settings page, but only ever saves player 1's preferences. Its a pain setting each persons preferences up each time i have my mates round...

The player switching during corners is god awful I agree. The couples with the lousy camera means I usually have no idea what I am doing, and no way of influencing the outcome of the corner since I am randomly running around in the box. They are also very welcome to improve the markers for both the player icon, and the ball touchdown marker, so that in corners you can very quickly gauge where the ball is going to land, and so that you can also very easily spot where your player marker is at. In the mess in there it can be hard to keep your eye on your dimly lit player marker, and the ball landing icon on the pitch can also be tough to spot sometimes. Definitely would be good if they improved the visibilty of these.

Change the halftime substitution cutscene. In real life you don't see the player coming of the pitch, only the player that is coming on the pitch. :P

Why do certain goalkeepers have that silly red kit? Also many keepers don't have sponsor on their shirt.We need better collisions with the goalie,would also like o see better celebrations and the ref and assistant on the pitch.

They need to fix the Advantage where players can still get booked or sent off after advantage is played like in PES.

Want to be able to upgrade the physical appearence of the stadium or be able to edit which one a team playes at.

Need to fix unrealistic cup results some might happen but too many at the mo.

A few more from me:

- AI needs to be more "humanised" in the reaction times and such. Yesterday I played "Be a Pro" as Ronaldinho, and I quickly turned 180. The player who was just by my side sort of stopped mid-air/mid-step (without actually having to go through the trouble of actually stopping, and gaining speed in the other direction again). Things like that shouldn't be allowed to happen in the physics system they have designed. What ever gives, needs to be fixed so that players actually need to brace themselves with their feet to stop, at all times, not just magically stop by some force and immediately start moving in the other direction when the AI feels it deserves to get to the ball. They need realistic reaction time, rather than them stopping to turn at the exact same nanosecond your player do (obviously you know when you are going to turn/feint, while the opponent clearly doesn't in most cases, which should give you a clear advantage with a very skilled player).

- Also, if they could, EA really should add Multiplayer "Be a Pro Offline" to FIFA09. PES has multiplayer play where each player is locked to one player on the pitch. The use of the "Be a Pro" camera would be denied, but other than that, I don't see how it could be impossible. Remove all the fancy indicators or such if need be, but let me and a mate play both at the same time... :)

What I could think of yesterday.

Last edited:
For me improvements and additions over FIFA 08:

No more rails please, either add in some sort of "super cancel" or just give us total player freedom of movement.
Too many times you pass to someone and he just stands there whilst an AI opponent nips in and pisses off with it.

Get rid of the bs stat levelling on the higher difficulty levels.

Dribbling needs to be a tiny bit more respsonive to feel realistic.

Better and 100% more responsive player switching after corners, or just being able to sometimes would be a start.

On pitch refs & assistants.

Your AI team mates, ffs stop them just wandering into you whilst you're dribbling. So many times they've just wandered infront and "tackled" me whilst getting into a shooting position with a midfielder.

The advantage ruling, they need to do what PES has and give delayed cards out rather than forget about them once the advantage has passed.

Create a team/franchise if its do-able.
Starting with creating a kit, building a stadium then getting a team together etc...

Build on the be a pro mode by having a career option where you use your created character.

Freekick system.
Give a little more depth on these.
Trance_Allstar usually has some excellent ideas on free kick setups in these threads if i remember rightly.
Something like adjusting your run-up, having a golf sim-esque ball where you're going to strike it then holding the button for the desired power.
Using the driven shot, finesse shot and shipped shot modifiers whilst the bar is on as per normal.

Nets.
Totally non important really and more of a nice to look at thing. But they need to be a tiny bit saggier and ripple more.
Also more variety such as ones with a horseshoe like stancion in the top corners although i'm guessing good net physics for those would be a lot harder than the box style, could be tied in with the stadium creation in the build a team idea.

More crowd chants, on pitch and pitchside voices.

More stadiums.

A training mode.

Include being the keeper in be a pro.

Weather be it dynamic or set, there should be rain/snow/wind etc...

Pitch wear and tear.

Better comentary scripts.

Better options for player creation, more hairstyles, boots, goal celebrations etc...

For me improvements and additions over FIFA 08:

No more rails please, either add in some sort of "super cancel" or just give us total player freedom of movement.
Too many times you pass to someone and he just stands there whilst an AI opponent nips in and pisses off with it.

Get rid of the bs stat levelling on the higher difficulty levels.

Dribbling needs to be a tiny bit more respsonive to feel realistic.

Better and 100% more responsive player switching after corners, or just being able to sometimes would be a start.

On pitch refs & assistants.

Your AI team mates, ffs stop them just wandering into you whilst you're dribbling. So many times they've just wandered infront and "tackled" me whilst getting into a shooting position with a midfielder.

The advantage ruling, they need to do what PES has and give delayed cards out rather than forget about them once the advantage has passed.

Create a team/franchise if its do-able.
Starting with creating a kit, building a stadium then getting a team together etc...

Build on the be a pro mode by having a career option where you use your created character.

Freekick system.
Give a little more depth on these.
Trance_Allstar usually has some excellent ideas on free kick setups in these threads if i remember rightly.
Something like adjusting your run-up, having a golf sim-esque ball where you're going to strike it then holding the button for the desired power.
Using the driven shot, finesse shot and shipped shot modifiers whilst the bar is on as per normal.

Nets.
Totally non important really and more of a nice to look at thing. But they need to be a tiny bit saggier and ripple more.
Also more variety such as ones with a horseshoe like stancion in the top corners although i'm guessing good net physics for those would be a lot harder than the box style, could be tied in with the stadium creation in the build a team idea.

More crowd chants, on pitch and pitchside voices.

More stadiums.

A training mode.

Include being the keeper in be a pro.

Weather be it dynamic or set, there should be rain/snow/wind etc...

Pitch wear and tear.

Better comentary scripts.

Better options for player creation, more hairstyles, boots, goal celebrations etc...
You have hit several Nails on the head here!! Creating your own team/kit would be a great idea! not sure why they havent made a decent Fist of this before?

The crowd actually reacting to what is going on in front of them would be nice.. instead of generic up and down (gay) looking movements! Classic teams and players? Id like to see them too! They should also implement the ability to create your own kits/teams using a PC and upload them via EASPORTSWORLD (similar to Woodsy's Face Mapping).

They MUST make the controls more responsive.... this is still an issue at the worst of times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom