FIFA 09 NG Improvements Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 August 2004
Liverpool
Right Guys,

It's time for an improvements thread for the next release. The idea is that we post all the improvements we want in this thread in the different sections described below and that this first post gets updated into a tidy list (ala ThomasGOAL's news threads). After a month a poll can be made to determine the top 10/20 improvements needed and then FSB can email this off to the EA community manager. With a bit of luck a number of suggestions / improvements made in this thread will find its way to the teams responsible and we can have some influence to improve the game.

A while ago Joe Booth described the development schedule of the game [http://www.fifasoccerblog.com/2007/09/behind-scenes-at-ea.html]. This means that at this moment in time they are in the pre-production fase, the period were suggestions / comment can still influence the team and its choices. And with that coinciding with a lot of us having played the game for a couple of months I think it's the perfect time to place our comments and pass them on. So with that in mind this thread was made.

To keep the thread tidy and have some overview I thought it would be best to give the suggestions different groups; graphics, sound, AI, control, Managermode, etc making it easier for all of us to see whats been suggested and what further comments can be made. While also making each post clearer by stating in which element you are suggesting an improvement. So with out further ado, here are the catagories;

Graphics: This will be about playermodels, animation, stadiums, pitches, kits, menu's, camera angles, etc. Pretty much everything do to with how it looks.

Sound: Crowdnoices, ballnoices, music, menusounds, etc

Control: Responsetimes, d-padsupport, Heading balance, analog gradients, button assignments, shooting/passing powerbar, shooting/passing styles, etc. Anything to do with how the gamepad control gets translated to onscreen movement.

AI: Off the ball movement, tactical changes, playing styles (arsenal vs chelsea), etc.

ManagerMode: Night games, stadiums assignments for cupfinals, transfer options, team management options, stadiumbuilder, etc.

Editmode: Player edit, team edit, kit edit, etc.

Online: League modes, tournament modes, friend finder, ping ratio per person, etc

Misc.: Anything that doesnt fall within the above.

These are the catagories Ive made, if anybody has any other that need to be added that will happen. At the moment this seems to have most elements. So with everything explained it's time to start posting. It would be better if everybody keeps a certain format to make it easier to keep the thread up to date and save time. I propose adding the catagorie before the suggestion. For example;

Graphics:
- Not look like monkeys

Sound:
- More booing when playing bad

Managermode:
- Night games automatically

Its not to complicated. I'll make a separate post below this one for our Suggestions.

Last edited:
Evo-Web suggestions:

Graphics:
- Real Adboards (proper sponsers)
- Weather effects
- More Stadiums
- Better Radar colour combinations
- Goalkeeper kits improved/corrected
- Better Penalty Cam, higher placed. Can't see corner with player in the way
- Higher placed Corner Cam, or keep "user" cam (tele/dynamic/etc)
- Better player likenesses
- Less Jaggies
- Better cutscenes, less jerky
- Better integration of goal celebrations, ingame instead of cutscene
- More camera angles (gradients to angles and zoom, for example "TELE angle 3 zoom 2" = slightly closer and camera goes at an angle for end of pitch action)
- Better replay angles
- More varied net styles per stadium
- More generic stadiums across all league levels (5.000 seater up to 60.000 seater)
- Night game pitches don't have darkpatches, thats why we have floodlights.
- Better pitch vs stadium proportions. Anfield is far closer to the pitch in real life.
- Ref and linesman visible ingame
- Better player proportions, ie tighter shirts and shorts, its not basketball.
- Replays at HT and FT should always atleast show all the goals scored
- Freekick/corner cam can be normal tele view. No need to go behind player
- Player stats easier to view in tactical menu's in one view, not multiple pages.
- Better cutscenes for league/ cup wins and relegation. Lifting the trophy for example.
- Better pre kickoff cutscenes. For example players dont do team warmups right before kickoff. Maybe a few stretches for individuals when lining up for the start of the match. Coin toss for captains.
- Slower transition between team formation screens, too fast at the moment.
- The option to have normal camera angles (tele, dynamic, etc) for freekicks and corners.
- League/division crest to change on kit with promotion/relegation

Sound:
- Dynamic Downloadable Commentary (commentary updates)
- Faster Crowd reactions. A "Oooooh" when the ball has been hit, not when it hits the stands
- Net sounds less pronounced relative to stadium noise/size
- Better, more accurate allocation of chants; Accrington Stanley shouldnt be singing about "winning the CL 5 times in Istanbul", or national teams having english league chants.

Control:
- Correct Kicking foot GK
- Faster response times
- Shorter, less awkward animations
- D-pad support
- Added options for long ball passes. In the way shooting has lob/finesse/power it can also be applied to long ball passing.
- Faster crossing/crosses. Still too slow/lofty at the moment. Like longball passing could also be determined by the button combination.
- Better timing and tackling animations
- Shots from the wide area's should have the same amount of power as central shots
- Assisted [lob]throughpasses should be more effective, atm they are nearly all intercepted.
- Ball dummy/stepover
- Better reactions/animations to crosses; onetime shots, header. Not control then shoot
- More freekick options; bring an extra player
- Better freekick control, having to determine swerve while loading the powerbar is too short. Better control over height and power, possibly as seperate controls.
- Better cornerkick control. Like freekick more control over height and power as seperate elements.
- Remove occasional player "locking"
- More defensive control in crowded box, less automated clearing
- Goalie rush should be faster and further, more responsive
- SuperCancel for movement aswell as ball kicking
- More varied tactical options linked to d-pad control. For example defensive formation assigned to d-pad right, attacking formation assigned to d-pad left.
- Freekick to rotate 360, pass it back to goalie/defender
- Slightly heavier ball [physics]
- More angles to move in when in possesion of the ball ( for exmaple 16 direction control as apposed to current 8 direction control)
- GoalKick powerbar
- Manual selection improved (keep the selected player at corners for example)

AI:
- Less responsive AI for individual actions. They know what is gonna happen the second you press the button
- Keepers less good at super shots, better at crosses
- More aggressive Keeper rushing, less static on the line positioning
- Bigger difference playing styles (longball vs total football)
- Playing styles more linked to ratings, for example lower league team is more longball
- More balanced team ratings, Everton aren't better then PSV.
- More varied attack styles, not the wing/cross/header all the time.
- Less accurate freekicks
- More varied runs from player teammates
- Less harsh fatigue model
- Better defensive movement/pressure for player teammates
- Less rigid back four, wingbacks more attacking
- More agressive tactical changing from AI (when behind more attacking/different formation for example)
- CPU passing more "in to space" instead of to static player
- More CPU fouls and mistakes
- Better refeering, CPU fouls often unpunished
- Defensive wall for freekick can "collapse" with the ball getting "through"
- Less "endless" dribbling from AI players
- More varried goalie throws, also to feet, head instead of only to chest

ManagerMode:
- Better scheduling, no 2 games on the same day or same weekend
- Automatic Night games (midweek, CL, UEFA cup, etc)
- Cupfinals at special venue's, not the basic home or away stadium
- Different away stadiums per team in the upper leagues. This can be either linked to the teamoptions in edit mode or randomised per league between the 30 odd stadiums in game for the teams without their own ingame stadium
- Stadiumbuilding or Choice of larger generic stadium when upgrading the stadium manager
- Better integration of real life tournaments, Playoffs
- More developed Injuries (6 months for example)
- Better balance to earnings across leagues. For example Liverpool barely make a profit in home games and a loss in away games, yet Accrington stanley can earn a few hundred thousand per match with a few stadium upgrades.
- Better developed staff options/upgrades

Editmode:
- Player appearances editable (faces, length, weight, hair, etc)
- Photo import ala Tiger Woods
- The possibility to assign stadiums to teams, giving the possibility to not be playing at the same away stadium for 3/4 of the season.
- Stadiumbuilder
- The possibility to assign pitch pattern to stadium

Online:
- Enable leagues to have home and away (2 matches per team)
- Goalscorer should be able to control replay only (with timelimit)
- Longer online pauze, 20sec is too short
- Theatermode (ala Halo) to record full matches with editing and sharing possiblity
- Better teammanagement control (formation saves)
- Rematch and Rematch with different teams options straight after FT
- Chat cut off point when out of the game
- After completing a match return player to lobby instead of top menu
- Pauzing the game should only happen when ball goes out of play. Pauze logo in top corner during play as warning / heads up.
- Better cup/tournament creator

Misc.:
- Personal playlists, music of HD
- Save replays to HD and then upload at later date
- Shorter Substitution loadtimes
- Full training mode; freekicks, corners, teamplay, etc
- Always have the english language and commentary in all regions with regional languages added (360 version) instead of only regional languages based on logistics. For example the dutch version had sweden and spain as the other languages. English footabll is far more popular then swedish football.
- Save controller settings to live accounts for mutliplayer users aswell (player 2/3/4)

Last edited:
I'll start it off:
Control:
- Improved responsetimes
- D-pad support
- Added options for long ball passes. In the way shooting has lob/finesse/power it can also be applied to long ball passing.
- Faster crossing/crosses. Still too slow/lofty at the moment. Like longball passing could also be determined by the button combination.

Managermode:
- Automatic Night games
- Cupfinals at special venue's, not the basic home or away stadium
- Different away stadiums per team in the upper leagues. This an be either linked to the teamoptions in edit mode or randomised per league between the 30 odd stadiums in game for the teams without their own ingame stadium

AI:
- Better balance between poor teams and good teams.
- More varied playing styles (longball vs total football)
- More varied attack styles, not the wing/cross/header all the time.

Editmode:
- The possiblity to assign stadiums to teams, giving the possibility to not be playing at the same away stadium for 3/4 of the season.
- Player edit for body and face

fifa 08 is a very good game already.

fifa 09 just need to add more presentation weather and stadiums along with better shooting at goal and it's gonna be perfect along with ACTAUL sponsers for adboards

ok, just one little thing id like to say..there is night game in manager mode at least in some leagues..i had friends playing brazilian and german league with night games...
me, i could not see any, been playing the spannish leagu for 2 seasons and english for 1..not once i played at night..not in uefa cup, CL or whatever competition..but i do trust this guys that confirmed to me theyve seen night games..
one of them is MASTER W11 from this very forum. hes playing the german lieague with wolfsburg and he said he has had night games.

-CPU cheats. Knows what you're going to do RIGHT after you press that button. Their reaction time should decrease.

-Keepers should be less good in saving shots heading for the ultimate corner.

-FA Cup and League matches on same day or one day after the other.

-English sub top teams like Portsmouth and Everton rated too high, especially in comparison to small league top clubs like PSV and Ajax.

-Bigger difference between playing different teams.

More later :)

Improve the graphics... in particular the rubbish non existant Player Likenesses and the Jaggies you get... Give us a more in depth edit mode and allow us to modify all PLAYERS Appearances. Sort out the god awful touches and controls that your player does.. make the game feel less awkward. Allow us to put ourselves in the game (a la Tiger Woods 08). Improve Crowd reactions and make more Decent Cutscenes!. Make the so-called Dynamic commentary so you get new phrases downloaded from the net.

@ brunnoce,

You can have night games by going into a friendly, setting the time to night. Start the match then quit and go back into managermode and all the games will be night. Repeat friendly settings for daytime, ect ect.

I agree with most of the points already made eg reaction times etc so no point in repeating. I will try to point out things which may not have been mentioned, apologies in advance if i repeat anything.

Graphics:

1. Sort out the lighting for night matches. There are too many dark patches around the pitches.
2. Have the refs and linesman visible in the game
3. Cut scenes don't run smoothly, seem jerky
4. Improve faces, Pro Evo wins in this area hands down
5. Make cut scenes flow in relation to the game play
6. Maybe it's just me, but the goals seem a little small?
7. The players look like they are wearing big heavy sweatshirts rather then light football tops
8. Both licensed and un licensed players should be fully editable eg if i want to add a beard to a licensed player then i should be able to do that without the face changing to a default face
9. Different nets in different stadiums would be nice
10. We should be able to get a picture of a player off the internet, transfer it to our hd and import it into the game
11. Bring in a "Create a stadium" option

Control:

1. It is too easy to win the ball simply by holding down x and a buttons, more skill to win a tackle should be required
2. Far too much of a delay between pressing a button and the action actually happening e.g push the right stick to knock the ball in front of the player a few yards.
3. Shots from an angle (eg to the left or right of the goal) are far weaker than shots from the front of the goal
4. When holding the y button my goalkeeper should rush from his goal toward the ball, at the moment there doesnt seem to be much, if any, response, especially when an attacker is bearing down on goal
5. Headers from crosses are horrible floaty attempts which either drift into the far corner or lob over the crossbar. Lets see some netbusters or some headed into the ground
6. It is imperative that we have some form of super cancel button(s). We need to be able to break our players out of pre determined runs
7. Lob through passes need to be improved
8. If i have pressed pass, shoot cross etc and the ball is running away from my player and it is perhaps 50/50 that he will reach it before his opponent, then my player should stretch out or slide in and attempt to perform the action which i have selected. Pro evo has implemented this into it's gameplay and it works well.
9. We should have the ability to whip crosses into the box at pace, at the moment all crosses are put in very tamely and floaty
10. We should have the ability to dummy the ball
11. I would love to see some form of set play creation implemented into this game. Perhaps try out different scenarios and set plays in a training mode, save them and try them in game when the opportunity arises
12. The option to put more than 1 player over a free kick would be nice
13 The option to bring selected players up into the opposing box for corners and free kicks
14 When a ball is crossed into the box and i press shoot for either a header or volley, on most occasions, instead of taking a first time shot whilst in space, my player chests the ball down, waits a few seconds and then shoots. NOT GOOD ENOUGH
15. When a ball is rolling out toward a player and he hits the shot first time, the shot should be far more powerful than an ordinary shot
16. Sometimes it seems like im locked controlling 1 player no matter how many times i press the "change player" button or flick the right stick
17. In dangerous situations (when the ball has broken free in the box) sometimes my players hoof the ball up the park without me pressing a button even though i may want to play a short pass

Sound:

1. We shouldn't be able to hear the ball hitting the net

AI:

1. CPU scores too many freekicks
2. Should be easier to round goal keepers in a 1 on 1 situation
3. Forward players should make more intelligent runs into space, rather than just head down and run toward goal
4. Midfielders should make more intelligent runs past forwards when attacking
5. Gameplay should be ever so slightly quicker
6. Players tire too much. Professionals can, generally, last a full 90mins without slowing to a snails pace
7. How does the CPU know i am going to slide tackle before i even let go of the button, telepathic footballers! now that's next gen!

Misc:

1. Whoever scores a goal (online) should have control of the replay. I don't know how many times i've scored a peach of a goal only for my pissed off opponent to skip my replay (bastards)
2. During online play we should have more time when pausing during a game. I think it's only 20 odd seconds, not long enough sometimes.
3. How about a Theater mode (ala Halo) where full games are recorded and saved to memory which we can view, edit, save or send to friends
4. Replays at half time and full time don't always show all the goals

Keep these coming and I'll get a post on Fifasoccerblog and I'll get these points through to the producer.

Custom formation for online - more managment control of the team while playing online

watching other people play online

saving replays to the hardrive online and offline and upload in free time

possible zoom on camera angles

AI:

CPU controlled teamates need to defend [ Pressure the ball etc. ] not run around doing nothing leaving me to cover 11 men on the pitch with the player I'm selected as.

Updated,

after a couple more I'll edit the list so within each catagories the comments are better connected, i.e. all graphic stadium improvements together, all graphic player improvements toghether etc instead of spread thoughout like now.

The one thing that really impressed me in PES this year was the integration of what once would be cutscenes into the normal match view. Ref's running over and handing out cards, linesmen flagging and goal celebrations especially - the quick free-kick thing that comes about sometimes too is nice where you can just put the ball down and pass it. I'd love to see that sort of thing in FIFA, where the game doesn't have to be interrupted with a cutscene that doesn't always reflect what has just happened.

Also, the load time when you make a substitute is short but it pisses me off.

Online:

Allow even numbered games to be selected when creating a league
Add a rematch and rematch with different teams option
Dont cut off chat till you actually get out of the game

oh yeah and make the keepers into a sweeper first then add the goalkeeper parts

there is nothing more annoying than the ball being 10 yards out and your goalie staying on his line, if he had a sweepers mentality/movement this wouldnt happen

do goalies even sprint?

The next game is EURO 2008, there probably won't be a UEFA Champions League game until 2009/2011.

But everything logged will be passed on to a FIFA community manager, who is involved in the production of all EA SPORTS football games (minus FIFA Street because that's an EA BIG game). So if it's taken seriously it should affect EURO 2008 and FIFA 09.

Equivalent of super-cancel (or preferably, just give us full control of the guy we're suppposed to be controlling and stop making him getting looked in rails).

CPU response times to be reduced, particularly defenders and particularly on lower difficulty levels.

CPU full-backs should attack. CPU attacks seem to be limited to the front 6.

CPU teams to alter tactics when chasing the game or defending a lead.

CPU passes should more often be into spaces and players need to run onto the ball, rather than straight to the cpu team-mate who doesn't have to move to receive the ball.

Tactical options to be available at touch of button (like PES where you can assign 4 tactics to buttons so don't have to pause and enter tactics screen to get the team to make a quick push foward - we should be able to assign the custom formations to tactical buttons)

Training mode.

Ability to rotate camera (as in the 1-9 settings in PES) - preferably fully customisable camera (height, zoom, angle).

Lower ranked cpu teams to be more inclined to play long-ball, misplace passes, mishit shots, etc.

CPU teams to commit more fouls and be penalised for it.

More variety of options from free-kicks, eg. 2 or 3 men over the ball, lay-offs, dummies, etc.

Ability to play the ball 360 from a free-kick, not just forward.

At corners/free-kicks, why does the camera have to go behind the taker? Need option to leave the camera in wide view at all times.

Any tactical screen which lists players should allows us to press button to see all the players' stats (like PES).

Last edited:
Do you think this will make any sort of difference Tik?

As Jack anwsered, they have the community guy to sent it to. Also they are still in the pre production period where ideas can still be voiced and taken onboard. I remember someone even saying that if there are enough people wanting d-pad they will try to do that. It gives me hope that they can adress quite a few problems/niggles that are present atm without it actually being a lot of work, MM nightgames is one such small element for example.

Either way, with FSB's help its worth a try. And a hell of a lot more likely to have influence then with those guys in Japan.

Updated again.

Looks like a good list atm with very few, if any, ridiculous suggestions. Keep up the good work guys!

Last edited:
Yeah I know Tim, but Winston has a good point, you have to go through 5 different menu's/screens to find out how the player is, stats x3, fitness, mentality, strenght, etc. It should be a lot easier and centrally described as pes does. Faces, energybar next to name and a list of stats when selected. Its not like fifa has got limited amount of room really, its just poorly done and could be made a lot simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom