FIFA 08 PS3

lancers

League 1
12 July 2010
North Carolina
Liverpool
I picked this one up a few days ago used for a few bucks and it is not too bad. What is considered the best FIFA game overall by most? I did not like 11.

The next Fifa is always the best one because we're always living in hope that they don't do a half arsed job and release the game incomplete and full of bugs.

I picked this one up a few days ago used for a few bucks and it is not too bad. What is considered the best FIFA game overall by most? I did not like 11.

FIFA 08, brilliant game at the time, i think it's just about dated now though. Had some great ball physics though! Player turning etc.. shame they where all on rails.

09 for me.

Today I decided to give 11 ago again, 1st time since October. Well 3 matches and an hour later I quickly put in back in the cupboard. Very frustrating, decided to try 09 again as I remember that as the best version so far. One match and it was confirmed.

It's pretty shocking how FIFA has regressed into a convoluted mess of animation systems that don't work as they should and how sharp, snappy and solid 09 was, and still is!

Admittedly 10 and 11 have some more polish overall (the static camera of 09 is pretty poor now) but the actual gameplay (tactics, player response, foot planting, weight) is still much better then the later offerings.

Simple things like fast players actually being able to get away from slow defenders instead of being bogged down in the latest and greatest innovations like 360 defending is lovely. Players being able to jink past a defender with timing and momentum is another great aspect now lacking due to instant response and automated defensive tackles and tugs.

I really fear for 12, as the games have really gotten worse since 09.

09 for me.

Today I decided to give 11 ago again, 1st time since October. Well 3 matches and an hour later I quickly put in back in the cupboard. Very frustrating, decided to try 09 again as I remember that as the best version so far. One match and it was confirmed.

It's pretty shocking how FIFA has regressed into a convoluted mess of animation systems that don't work as they should and how sharp, snappy and solid 09 was, and still is!

Admittedly 10 and 11 have some more polish overall (the static camera of 09 is pretty poor now) but the actual gameplay (tactics, player response, foot planting, weight) is still much better then the later offerings.

Simple things like fast players actually being able to get away from slow defenders instead of being bogged down in the latest and greatest innovations like 360 defending is lovely. Players being able to jink past a defender with timing and momentum is another great aspect now lacking due to instant response and automated defensive tackles and tugs.

I'd say 09 was a arcade game really. i Mean on legendary i was able to beat Barcelona 6-1 with my Betis Manager mode team, one of the goals was just me literally sprinting form the kick off past every single player with Mario Gomez :CONFUSE:

Thats was a problem, sprinting required no effort, you should have to constantly press the right stick plus hold the sprint button to get away from players on the ball, not just hold the sprint button and wheel away on a rail!

Ball physics were shit! Abusive formations the norm, no midfield, zero individuality but well, at least it was a good game which wasn't totally bug ridden

Then again it was so much better than PES 2009 i played it wall year :SMUG:

Yet the metacritic scores of Fifa 10 & 11 are higher than 09. And Fifa 11 is the fastest selling sports game of all time. So you're right to fear for Fifa 12.

EA always has been - and always will be - about making money and lots of it, and (understandably) from a business and shareholder's point of view "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's the nature of the beast.

I think the recent FIFA games are as poor as the PS2-era ones for the time in my opinion.

FIFA 08 showed real potential, the manual passing was a refreshing way of playing football games and the pace of the game was fairly slow. The ball physics were also quite advanced compared to previous football games.

FIFA 09 and 10 failed to tap into that potential, in fact they went in the opposite direction and made the game a lot worse, 11 is still arcadey bollocks, but with artificial methods to make it more "realistic", such as snail paced passing to slow the tempo of the game down.
It makes me cringe how awful FIFA 11 is when I play it against mates!
Clubs mode (when it worked) was the only redeeming feature of FIFA 09 and 10, and even that was horrible at times.

I'm not convinced it's even possible now for EA to turn it around and produce a proper football game if they use their recent efforts as a base.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think PES will be king for the duration of this generation (or until EA start again from scratch). PES 2011 is by no means perfect, but it captures the feel of football very well.
It's a rough diamond - Animations can be added and refined, physics can be improved and bugs can be fixed.

FIFA in it's current form is just too far away from a simulation to be a few tweaks away from a decent game.

@ Klashman,

You are probably right about a lot of the critisms, I don't play online so never had the "pleasure" and I play a passing possesion game so don't tend to just sprint the whole pitch because I can. Midfield does go missing aswell.

However I do disagree with the sprinting away from a defender is too easy. If I have one of the fastest players in the league against the slowest I should be able to get away from him. The problem with 11 is that there is very little difference now, combined with the dreadfull lock-on of 360 defending that just makes the whole game feel like you a truging through mud. The whole game just feels like a slog and the added animations and systems has made it worse. in 09 if I have a strong player he can actually keep possesion, and not be barged of the ball by the likes of Modric. Also control is far sharper and defenders have some momentum.

@ James,

Yeah, commercial succes means there is little for them to do to make it better other then some back-of-the-box bullshit. The annoying thing is they have the tech, but just can't seem to get a balance to actually make it a good footie game.

@ Rob,

I'm hoping they really polish PES up as atm it has the base to be a great game but is let down by the tech (animations and transitions).

Totally agree Rob. Fifa 08 was an excellent game with so much potential to become something great. Joe Booth did a great job with that game. But when Rutter took over things started to take a turn for the worse. I don't whether it's him we should blame, or higher powers at EA.

Interestingly, Rutter thinks he did a ''great job'' with personality +:

http://www.godisageek.com/2011/01/david-rutter-details-fifa-12-improvements/

Rutter fucked up the Championship Manager game he was in charge of too, was it Champ Man 5?
If I remember correctly it was the first CM after the Eidos/Sports Interactive split, so he didn't inherit a good base to work with (like he did with FIFA 08), but what he released was still a ridiculously bad game.

The whole production team at EA Sports have failed miserably, but I feel the bulk of the blame must lay at the feet of Rutter. It has to be more than a coincidence that FIFA started going downhill after his introduction, and he's probably the guy with the biggest influence on the game...

However I do disagree with the sprinting away from a defender is too easy. If I have one of the fastest players in the league against the slowest I should be able to get away from him. The problem with 11 is that there is very little difference now, combined with the dreadfull lock-on of 360 defending that just makes the whole game feel like you a truging through mud. The whole game just feels like a slog and the added animations and systems has made it worse. in 09 if I have a strong player he can actually keep possesion, and not be barged of the ball by the likes of Modric. Also control is far sharper and defenders have some momentum.

Ok, yes, thing is the way i look at it.

If i have for Example Theo Walcott, I'd only expect to sprint easily away from defenders who were given say in FIFA terms under 70 for sprint speed and acceleration. Anything above that and the defenders should be able to live with him unless he's pushing the ball away from him like a mad man!

I know fifa is fucked in terms of that there is very little difference in terms of pace which is fucked i know, i just really don't want to go back to FIFA 09, with the Ronaldo & friends sprint abuse culture!

Agree, however I think that those problems are down to a fundamental lack of footballing understanding. Wallcott may be very fast but the rest of his game is pretty poor in comparison. If they could have it that his crossing and finishing is poor the speed would mean little in the game. Sadly they are pretty generic so those players become amazing...

Finally, Rutter talks about “soul” and how he wants FIFA 12 to realistically capture moments where you “take one player to his old club and the boo boys come out, or his old team are more aggressive in the tackle towards him”. He wants players to think, “Wow! FIFA understands not just the game of football, but the sport and passion behind it”.

Tbh I would be glad if they would start to understand football!

Totally agree Tik x 5, that line is pure bullshit, exactly how many players actually get booed like that, bar Darren Bent next season. It's rubbish, the great work they achieved with 08 and 09 games, thats really when they stopped advancing and started tweaking, except the tweaks and things they added didnt add anything substantial to the series.

Rutter fucked up the Championship Manager game he was in charge of too, was it Champ Man 5?
If I remember correctly it was the first CM after the Eidos/Sports Interactive split, so he didn't inherit a good base to work with (like he did with FIFA 08), but what he released was still a ridiculously bad game.

The whole production team at EA Sports have failed miserably, but I feel the bulk of the blame must lay at the feet of Rutter. It has to be more than a coincidence that FIFA started going downhill after his introduction, and he's probably the guy with the biggest influence on the game...

To be fair, he didn't inherit anything. He had to recruit the entire Champ Man 5 team from scratch and make a football management game in less than a year.

I'm not defending him because I've met him - just saying that in the cold light of day it's impressive that he managed to get anything out at all. That's probably what got him the job. I have no idea what his track record is like for building on a setup that is already there besides FIFA, which isn't flattering from our perspective.

I seem to remember playing and enjoying the hell out of FIFA 08 a lot more than any other FIFA, though I'd imagine if I went back to it now I'd think it was rubbish.

I liked it more than 09, 09 and 10 were both the same, and 11 is terrible so maybe it's still the best on PS3.

Picked up 09 used yesterday and while some things were improved over 08 overall I find 08 to be better. 9 is very very similar to 10.

My major problem after playing a few hours on 08 was the fact that you need to run towards passes in order not to have the pass intercepted. Real PITA. Both games will be going back to Gamestop.

I have a new appreciation for PES 11 after experimenting with these two efforts by EA.

I seem to remember playing and enjoying the hell out of FIFA 08 a lot more than any other FIFA, though I'd imagine if I went back to it now I'd think it was rubbish.

I liked it more than 09, 09 and 10 were both the same, and 11 is terrible so maybe it's still the best on PS3.

Possibly for you, i mean i loved FIFA 08, went back to it for one game over Christmas, and while it was still good, the responsiveness being so bad it's kinda dated now, probably since PES 2011 for me is a far, far better game and there isn't much reason fro me to go back unless for nostalgia reasons.

Also i might go back to enjoy the ball physics, game pace and the tricks, that's really about it though.

I still think FIFA 08 on the 360 is the best fútbol game EA has put out. Can't get into the last 3 years of this game the way I was into 08.

I played 08 religiously, haven't been the same before or since.

Brilliant game but I dread that if I played it again it'd be terrible.

Ronaldo was bloody unstoppable on it as well.

Every time I play it right after a good long Fifa 11 session, I feel like I'm playing a fresh new game. Of course there are faults, but I still think its fabulous. I wish it had a few more angles or 360, and manual button config.

Hell, EURO 08 is better than any recent game. I prefer the World Cup/Euro games over the yearly FIFA titles, that dev team does a better job it seems...

I spent a few hours playing FIFA 10 World Cup on the weekend. Much much better balance than FIFA 11, which I played afterwards as a comparison. I tried playing the game more like PES and passing the ball around to patiently create space instead of being a sprint junkie and had some fantastic games. If only FIFA 11 was a natural progression of that game but with club teams.

09 for me.

Yeah. Turns out you're just wrong.

The best FIFA is FIFA South Africa 2010 World Cup. It's no surprise the the gameplay producer from that game has taken manager mode on FIFA12 to the next level.

Right now, imo, FIFA needs someone with a keen eye for detail. Mr. Simon Humber might be that man. I always say this but had Seabass gotten his mits on the pure tech available @ EA we'd be playing the best football games of all time right now.

Back
Top Bottom