Fear of flying

FreMM

♥♦♣♠PeS DiSpEnSeR ♥♦♣♠
6 October 2005
Belgium
Juventus F.C.
Right guys, on Saturday I am jetting off for my holidays in Turkey..It's all good apart from one tiny problem; I am absolutely scared shitless to get on a plane...
Any other peeps around here with similar anxieties and possible remedies?
Help would be much appreciated:BYE:

Are you scared that the plane might crash? Or are you scared that you'll get sick on the plane? So is it an actual fear of flying, or travel sickness?

I am petrified that the plane will crash and also get a bit claustophobic in there...

So its the crashing you are scared off not the flying??

Statistically, you are more much more likely to die in the car\train\bus on the way to the airport than in the plane. Does that help?

Try some sedatives then. There is really nothing to it, and its really boring aswell so sleeping through it is worthwhile.

Statistically, you are more much more likely to die in the car\train\bus on the way to the airport than in the plane. Does that help?

Actually, it doesn't....tried everything, reasoning with logic, reading self help books ( no the ones Jay reads ) and even sedatives...Thing is when I use sedatives, I get panic attacks because I feel 'off'....Sigh..

Yeah, think of how many flights take off/land successfully every day, it's a massive figure! As Clockender says it's the safest way of travelling!

I am the opposite of you, well not opposite, but I sometimes get travel sickness, especially on airplanes. But if you can get your head over it and you're mind on top of it then you'll be fine :)). I even look forward to flights now, watching films or playing games on my iPhone passes the time easily. Just a shame it's not very comfortable!

After that plane went down from Brazil to France the other week (I think it was Brazil to France, you all know the one I'm on about), I've been really dubious. Was supposed to be going to France soon as well, definitely having second thoughts now.

Sorry FreMM. YOU'LL BE FINE! [/deep reassuring voice]

My best mate and my Mum are both really really scared of flying. But they both regularly fly. They just think of the holiday they are going on and the end result. But the fear doesn't get any better for them, they are still as scared as they were when the first went on a plane.

I think people like that need to have some sort of therapy or hypnotherapy as it is deeply engraved into them. No type of reasoning is going to help them.

I am a bit scared when the plane takes off and lands - but once in the air I am completely relaxed....unless there is bad turbulance and then I shit myslef :))

I always tell myself that the probability of the plane crashing is very minimal. Think of all of the flights everyday, all around the world...you would be very very very unlucky if it happened to you. Also I think if it does happen, I will be dead - so there is nothing I can do about it, so there is no point worrying....if it happens it happens :)) This reasoning helps me out, but I am not super scared like FreMM and my mate and Mum.

I went to cuba a few years ago with a group of mates. One of the friends I didn't know too well but the others had been on holiday with him before. They said to me watch Paul, as soon as we get on the plane he will be out like a light and will not wake up until the plane lands. The flight was 9 hours and I thought they were exagerating.

Literally as soon as we put our bums on the seat he was spark out! and he would not wake up all through the flight not even for his food! we literally could not wake him for the whole 9 hours and we tried. But as soon as the plane landed, he woke up straight away! it was insane, he doesn't take any pills or anything, it just happens.....the guy was a bit weird though :))

Im a bit like you FreMM, the flying is not the worst bit, its the enclosed space and not having the freedom to get out that does my nut in.

For what its worth I find whisky helps :)

Im a bit like you FreMM, the flying is not the worst bit, its the enclosed space and not having the freedom to get out that does my nut in.

For what its worth I find whisky helps :)

Thats what I did on the 9 hours to Cuba - the rest of us that weren't sleeping got quite hammered and I don't have very good memories of the first 2 days in Cuba, as we just kept drinking after the flight and went on a bender. I broke my nose on the bottom of the swimming pool by jumping in the pool in those first few days....which I don't really remember. An old couple told me the next day how I fucked up my nose, because they saw me do it :))

So drink a little FreMM but not too much, I think is the moral to that story ;))

Sorry to hear your predicament FreMM I love flying, in fact the journey is my best part of any holiday. You should speak to your Doc's they will be able to advise you on med's and even other treatments such as hypnotherapy though it's a little late for that.
The best thing you can do is eliminate stress, get everything done and sorted in plenty of time so you are not rushed on the day. Try to avoid stimulants and take a book or watch a movie or something to take your mind off your environment...

Where abouts in Turkey are you going, watch out for corrupt army and police officials if you hire a car... ;)

Sorry to hear your predicament FreMM I love flying, in fact the journey is my best part of any holiday. You should speak to your Doc's they will be able to advise you on med's and even other treatments such as hypnotherapy though it's a little late for that.
The best thing you can do is eliminate stress, get everything done and sorted in plenty of time so you are not rushed on the day. Try to avoid stimulants and take a book or watch a movie or something to take your mind off your environment...

Where abouts in Turkey are you going, watch out for corrupt army and police officials if you hire a car... ;)

Thx a lot for the help guys.....

Nick, I am going to Bodrum, I aint renting a car staying in a 5 star all in resort to just kick it...
That is, if I get there:COAT:

I take it that you have been there already? If so did you enjoy it?

I take it that you have been there already? If so did you enjoy it?
Yep been to Bodrum, Kuşadasi and Imir. Had a great Hol every time I've been though I did get severe gastroenteritis and fell through a glass table last time... :P

Been to a lot of the islands too just off Turkey, it's a lovely spot. Pamukkale is worth the trip if you get there early, very popular and there are some fantastic ruins dotted around too though it's a big place and the roads are not fantastic so it's a fair time to anywhere... ;)

If you don't die ont the way to the airport you will deffo die during the flight.

Sorry to hear your predicament FreMM I love flying, in fact the journey is my best part of any holiday.

Where do you go on holiday?!?! Afganistan?!?! I just see it as a boring few hours to go somewhere nice.

After that plane went down from Brazil to France the other week (I think it was Brazil to France, you all know the one I'm on about), I've been really dubious. Was supposed to be going to France soon as well, definitely having second thoughts now.

Oh FFS, you barely have enough altitude to even crash on that 30min trip!

:D

Where do you go on holiday?!?! Afganistan?!?! I just see it as a boring few hours to go somewhere nice.

Not been there yet :D
I love the trip, I love flying and the Airport, you get to see and meet new people, I'm not a sit on the beach or round the pool person either we always try to rent a jeep and see as much of the places we go as possible...

You ain't gettin me on no plane!

mrt15.jpg

And you are absolutely right!

Cheers for all the feedback guys, got some new drugs from my doctor to help me out ( Zantac )
Never heard of it, we ' ll see what happens...

Well there you go, I learn something everyday, I take Zantac some times for stomach acid but just checked on a forum regarding phobias and a few people swear by this Fremm -

"Stay off caffeine, and take one benedryl (25 mg), 1 Zantac (75 mg - generic is ranitidine) and 400 mg ibuprofen as soon as you clear security so it is working when you board"...

:BLINK: ;)

Back
Top Bottom