FEAR 2 : Project Origin (PS3, XBOX 360, PC)

mjsmith2k

Come on you Reds!
5 November 2005
Nottingham
Forest, Bulls, Patriots
Sequel to the fantastic FPS game F.E.A.R. The best thing about F.E.A.R. IMO was the AI. It was completely organic and adaptable, and was a real challenge. The game was also scary as hell.

This sequel looks fantastic. Graphically it looks great, and again the atmophere is great, looks like another award winning Monolith game. :DD

E3 Video

http://uk.gamespot.com/video/0/6194516/videoplayerpop?rgroup=e32008_live

Release date is Q4 2008, so expect it around October/November time.

Re: Project Origin (PS3, XBOX 360, PC)

I thought F.E.A.R was shite as well

Not a Patch on Condemned or Condemned 2 :))

FEAR was okay, decent enough game and worth a play.

F.E.A.R. was released in 2005 though, and back in 2005 it was one of the greatest FPSs out there on the PC.

IMO Condemned was boring as hell, and Condemned 2 had it's moments. There was no character development whatsoever, and the action was very repetitive. F.E.A.R. felt organic all the way through and each play through was different to the last.

Anyways this is Project Origin, and they've had 3 full years to work on it.

Last edited:

I was just dragged in by the unbelievable atmosphere and Tension with the 2 Condemned games

demo is out on all fronts and i must say it is a very very good game! looks bloody awsome on my new pc.

very well made levels from what i have seen so far. alot of variety and the atmosphere is very well done

Is the level design so absurdly horrible as in the first game? What was the target of developing some of the best AI ever programmed and put it on small corridors all the time? Game designers never cease me to surprise...

It's loads better drekkard. Now it's based outside, in a hospital and loads of other locations and wide spaces.

i ain't gonna lie but i genuinely had to quit demo as i sh*t it.

going to buy this as demo seemed sexy though

Was it the bit in that room with the lockers when that ghost attacks... really scary that bit.

Last edited:
yeah was that part, i didnt fix the lighting so was harder and made my pants fill.
def worth buying

@ just1moreperson - Here's the plot taken from Wiki

Plot
The story of F.E.A.R. is presented in such a way that only a few minor elements are presented in the game's beginning, thus allowing players to experience the adventure as "the hero[es] in [their] own spine-tingling epic of action, tension and terror".[26] The manual briefly mentions the player character's recent induction as "point man" to F.E.A.R., a secret special ops group of the US government specialized in dealing with paranormal threats. The character's extraordinarily reactive reflexes are described as well, hinting that the government is interested in his abilities.[15] When the game begins, the player witnesses a man named Paxton Fettel taking command of a battalion of telepathically controlled clone supersoldiers, seizing control of Armacham Technology Corporation (ATC) headquarters and killing all its occupants.[27]

Now fully in control of the Point Man, the player attends a briefing held by Commissioner Betters, in the company of his F.E.A.R. team-mates Jankowski and Jin Sun-Kwon. The team's mission is to eliminate Fettel, operating in conjunction with Delta Force.[28]

Fettel is located by means of a satellite tracking device and hunted by F.E.A.R. and Delta Force over several locations.[29] While the villain evades capture by the special forces, the player witnesses unexplained, and occasionally life-threatening, paranormal phenomena, including hallucinations that frequently afflict him, all of which are centered around a red-dressed little girl named Alma. Laptops found in the course of the mission, remotely hacked by Commissioner Betters, provide details regarding the background story; the player learns how Fettel was raised to become a telepathic military commander,[30] that he is the son of Alma, who is described as being a powerful psychic as part of Project Origin,[31] and the existence of another child of Alma, who was born before Fettel.[32]

All clues lead F.E.A.R. to believe Fettel is under control of Alma,[33] who was locked in the Origin facility when ATC closed down the project owing to the danger the woman posed; Fettel is searching for that same facility to free his mother.[34] The player takes the Point Man to the abandoned structure, fighting back both the clone soldiers and ATC guards, who have received orders to cover up the whole affair.[35] When the protagonist comes to finally face Fettel, he is drawn into a hallucination where the player learns how the Point Man is Alma's first son and is thereafter enabled to kill Fettel himself.[36] The story does not end here however, as Alma is nonetheless freed when her storage chamber is opened by ATC researcher and leader of Project Origin, Harlan Wade, who felt guilty over the company's treatment of Alma and who was actually her father.[37] The player is then called to sabotage the structure's reactor,[38] running a gauntlet against Alma's ghosts before the whole location explodes. In the aftermath of the detonation, a Delta Force Black Hawk helicopter extracts the Point Man from the rubble, rescuing him. While the player and the survivors of the F.E.A.R team survey the results of the explosion from the helicopter, Alma makes one last sudden appearance over the side of the helicopter, preparing to pull herself up into the cabin: the destruction of the Origin facility has not stopped her quest for revenge.[39]

After the game's credits, the player can listen to a phone call between a mysterious senator and ATC president Aristide, which offers some further explanation: the woman considers the project under control and deems the first prototype (ostensibly the Point Man) a success.[40]

just played the demo and love it - graphics are great as well. if KZ2 wasn't coming a week or 2 laters id grab this on day one but im going to get it later in the year when there aren't as many great games around.

So who has it pre-ordered? It's out on Friday 13th Feb 2009. Only £29.95 at Shopto.net.

Was looking at the multiplayer element last night. Looks like fun. Will keep me entertained until Killzone is out.

Im gonna have to get the demo of this

Condemned 1 and 2 were brilliant atmospheric games as was fear and this is meant to be more of the same

i played a bit of the Demo last night and 1 part made me shat myself.

Its where the lights are flashing on and off early on and i was looking one way then turned to the side and a fucking ghost was in my face!

I have never jumped that much before because of a game, it was that bad i nearly threw the pad

:LOL: I agree the locker room is well scary, I just legged it through. Then hit the slow mo button and took a few ghouls down. That's what I love about Monolith, there are some twisted guys.

i played a bit of the Demo last night and 1 part made me shat myself.

Its where the lights are flashing on and off early on and i was looking one way then turned to the side and a fucking ghost was in my face!

I have never jumped that much before because of a game, it was that bad i nearly threw the pad

Tart.

So who's bought it then?

I got my pre-order through today and have to say I'm really enjoying it. The graphics are good; they're not on par with KZ2 and maybe could do with a slight tweaking as I have noticed a couple of jaggies now and then, but all the same they are very good. The textures are nice and the lighting is fantastic. The added destructible environment is also a nice touch which is immersive and add real feel to the game. The gore is also a nice touch, and the odd dead body here and there is adds to the atmosphere. The atmosphere in this game is by the far the best I have seen in a game yet. It is scary as hell!. The lighting effects and music have had me jumping already! I can't comment too much on the story as a) I don't want to spoil anything for anyone and b) I haven't had a chance to progress further than 5 chapters in, but from what I've played so far it's building up to something big I can tell. The gameplay is solid. The AI has been improved from the previous games; they are smart soldiers who are good at flanking and flushing you out with grenades even on the Normal difficulty. They use the environment effectively and I have noticed on a number of occasions they have attempted to trick me. Whether it's firing at me in one direction then running round the corner to get me from the other side as I follow them; to throwing a grenade at me to force me to go in one direction where of course they are waiting to take me out. The armour is also nice touch and some of the battle scenes have blown me away. It's not overdone which is great.

Online multiplayer seems a little tacked on and there isn't much of an improvement on the last instalment of multiplayer from the FEAR series. The gameplay is smooth and there are a few more guns to get to grips with, but that's about it. The modes are the same as the last instalment and there doesn't appear to be a complex ranking system or any progression as you get better at the game, except for the gamerscore/trophy achievements of course. The maps, however, are very nice and the engine is fantastic, players of all experiences will get a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

Overall, it's a fantastic game from what I've played. Monolith have done a lot of work in the two years since the last instalment of the FEAR series, and have improved the single-player experience quite remarkably. Multiplayer is perhaps a little disappointing, but is still a heap of fun all the same. I've just spent a few hours on it without realising I had spent so long on it. Buy if you are fan of the series, but if all you want from this game is the multiplayer aspect I'd hold out for KZ2 and rent this game in the meantime. Oh and a MAJOR drawback. You can't change the control scheme, only the default is available :(.

Score - 7.5/10

Yeah this is a very good game

Like i said before very atmospheric and you really get into the game because of your always on edge

i would give it 9/10, but im not far in so that may change :))

Very true Coopz. I gave it a 7.5 mainly because of the multiplayer and the fact that it probably won't have much replay value save for trophies and achievements.

I've just finished chapter 6 now, it's bloody brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom