Farcry 2

embraceuk1

Original Member Since 2001
30 December 2001
Indiana USA (Scottish)
Nottingham Forest
13 minutes of FarCry 2 footage
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/07/13-minutes-of-farcry-2-footage/

Taken at the Leipzig Games Convention, this 13-minute video gives a good taste of what FarCry 2 will have to offer. If you don't know yet, FarCry 2 takes place on the African savannah in a giant sandbox environment. Obviously, Ubisoft's Montreal Studio (Crytek is off doing Crysis) don't consider the now-classic Survivor: Africa issue a problem. When the television show Survivor went to Africa something got lost (like beautiful blue water and lush green vegetation) and they never went back to anything similar. FarCry 2 continues the gaming trend of a more brown environmental color palette. It'll be interesting to see how fans react to the new environment.

And before the calls of racism start over a white man going on a shooting rampage in Africa, the people you are shooting appear to be white. At least we think they are, way too much movement in the video to be sure, but a lot of the still images in the gallery below show white people. Although that opens up a whole other set of issues.

The game does look beautiful and is still in a pre-Alpha build. The title is expected next spring on PC. With any luck we'll get some console release projections in the near future. There is also a special introduction announcement for the FarCry 2 footage after the break.

YEAHHHH NO MORE MUTANTS :)

Last edited:
Re: Farcry 2 PC

This game looks amazing, a real true good next gen fps single player experience :D

Well I dunno if its classed as next gen being a pc, but you know what I mean...

Re: Far Cry 2 (360, PS3, PC)

There's a really good demo presentation online from the alpha version, was really impressed with it, at first I thought it was PC only so was really pleased to see it was coming to 360 as well :)

Re: Far Cry 2 (360, PS3, PC)

Where can I see the demo mate?

Honestly, some of the stuff that is being implicated into this game is very impressive. It's gonna be a game HIGH UP on my wish list.

It's also coming to the XBOX 360 and PS3. Looks like the best FPS experience out there. So far it is predicted that it will be released sometime in September 2008.

I'll be buying this game for sure.

Oooh I'm tempted to watch it but youtube quality is so shite it's an insult to a potentially awesome game to watch it on that, will wait for hopefully better quality :)

No loading or clipping. Realisation is looking good.

"50 hours gampelay"... hum...

how many people in here actually have a system that can play this on? doesn't matter realy because this game is out on the consoles too

The PC version will look alot better graphically then the console versions but i doubt many PC gamers will be able to run it smooth with everything maxed out.

wow placeboy im surprised anyone here still plays pc games let alone know what a 9800gtx is. well done., nice purchase but i would have bought the 4850 instead :P

I stuck with Nvidia because last time I tried an ATI card (the X1250 that's on board my mobo) the driver support for TV-Out was really bad. I saw a good price for the XFX Black Edition (£160 or so) so went with it :)

Re: Farcry 2 PC, Xbox 360

Just played 10 minutes or so on it and it looks brilliant

the driving intro and story kinda reminds me of Blood Diamond/Ross Kemp on Gangs which is great start.

I didn't do much but i got a flame thrower and start burning loads of stuff :LOL:. There is some nice touches so far, i had to fix a car then drive it somewhere, it told me that if you pick up older weapons they may jam and you have to unjam then and the map and phone are all in hand so it looks more realistic when you look at the map ect and if you get shot you have to remove the bullet and inject yourself ala Bad company

I have a machete as well but aint tested that out yet haha i can see this game being very very good from the short go i had on it

Just played 10 minutes or so on it and it looks brilliant

the driving intro and story kinda reminds me of Blood Diamond/Ross Kemp on Gangs which is great start.

I didn't do much but i got a flame thrower and start burning loads of stuff :LOL:. There is some nice touches so far, i had to fix a car then drive it somewhere, it told me that if you pick up older weapons they may jam and you have to unjam then and the map and phone are all in hand so it looks more realistic when you look at the map ect and if you get shot you have to remove the bullet and inject yourself ala Bad company

I have a machete as well but aint tested that out yet haha i can see this game being very very good from the short go i had on it
And do you have a cold, are you unwell?

If so, later impressions from the Coopz could be REALLY something special.

Nope im fit as a fiddle today :LOL:

ill post more impressions as i play

Nice one! I'm really looking forward to this, and your insights are appreciated, I can often relate to the things you dislike or like in games.

Having to fix the car sounds great, I've seen the vid where a car breaks down in the middle of a drive through woodland and the guy gets out and fixs it before carrying on. Awesome. I've read you have to snap broken legs back in place too if you fall from a great height.

Well i been playing it also 5 hours and about 30 mins 12% done its been blast but game very long winded is unbeleivable.

I must say i didnt play the first Far Cry that much i gave it a go but wasnt gripped but this totally new setting.

Anyway i will begin you start off and map feels quite restricted but after you done a few jobs it opens up and oh my its huge. I advise not to take route via road for main missions as your likely be ambushed by jeeps and your car will be pounded and you have no choice but to bail. I suggest taking jungle or river root but your going to be walking on foot and general missions are on otherside of map usually so you have to walk/run for ages certainly feels like it anyway. Not to mention malaria have to take tablets and you feint aswell feinted loads of times outside in desert basically resets you around when wake back up.

Also buddies in game who help you if you suffer full loss of life they come rescue you you meet them all over game and i beleive they can die aswell. I abandoned one according to statistics page some women forgot name she come saved me so no idea what happened to her to be honest. Had one of most bizarre incident i witnessed in game though i was walking through jungle for ages and hit open land and i saw this guy patrolling and car went past. Then i hear tyre screeching then sounds like its coming at me so i turn and look around next thing i know see car right in front and run me over. :LOL: My last moment seeing the driver had blue T-Shirt more like Mercenary and he was looking right at me cheeky bugger couldnt beleive it didnt expect it.

Other incident was i blew up convoy with Rocket Launcher and it set the grass a light next thing i know its spread and im trying to escape from fire because in middle of it. Have to say the effects are really good in game graphics are nice especially for how big it is but like usual look nice up and around but distance not so good. Alot of guns to buy and stuff like Mortar, IED etc you have to do jobs for gun shop and you unlock more as you go along and can get upgrades weapon accuracy etc. Many missions to do alot of buddies aswell can be found all sort of places overall its great but few gripes always seem the enemy Jeeps quicker then yours and other would be seems to take quite a few bullets to kill enemy when using machine gun. Also Map editor looks cool but gutting that its only MP i was hoping to create own Maps like Arma and Put AI in but i think i was dreaming to much. But no doubt be some brilliant maps made had quick look seems be alot of maps made already from quick browse so should be really fun for online which havnt played yet.

No bugs so far and i would give it 8/10 as it stands.

Fire away with any questions if you have any :))

Edit: Nearly forgot enemy camps and safe houses what you can unlock right across map you have to kill guards on safe houses stay away from enemy camps unless your brave.

I wont say to much though as dont want to spoil it story wise.

Last edited:

I have had another little go then a kebab break :))

The game so far is brilliant, the graphics on my PJ are stunning and the landscapes and details are awesome (i was playing on a PC monitor earlier).

I just did my first checkpoint which got me a safe house where it said i can get friends to help me (dunno how that works yet) and where my weapons cache and upgrades are. I was told to get a couple of hours sleep before i do my next objective and you have to go to bed and set the alarm on your wrist watch :LOL:

It seems different to the CODs and BFs because i shot a barrel from a distance while i was behind some bushes to kill someone and they had no idea where the shot come from and was looking around the barrel area, other FPS' don't do this and they see you wherever you are so its all action but this hasn't gone that route so far. I think if i wanted i could sneak about and take them out but i aint tried it yet

In Other little bits you have to get your map out and use a monocle which can see a decent distance to pin point places (ammo dumps, first aid, ect) and then it adds it to your map and they contact you by mobile phone to do your objectives.

Its very realistic, nothing seems unrealistic so far that i have come across so it really is like your playing out the role as the character on the screen

Im so impressed so far, i had no idea about this game or what it was about but the story is current which is always good and its not a war shooter which is even better. If the online side is as good as the single player and if you can make your own maps as someone said then this could be the game of the year

i forgot to mention when playing the game in 5.1 sound it is brilliant and atmospheric

even the start music has a "Hotel Rwanda" feel to it which gets you into it

I need to buy the PS3 version of this but there are too many games coming out! Little Big Planet, SOCOM: Confrontation, Resistance 2 etc.

Back
Top Bottom