1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

FAO Vbulletin Forum admins

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Placebo, 20 April 2009.

1. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Ok so having moved our forums from Ikonboard over to Vbulletin, one of the annoying things about Vbulletin is how it handles unread thread expiry, basically Vbulletin by default automatically marks threads as read based on time passed + user's cookie, whereas Ikonboard correctly shows unread threads as unread for ever, until the user reads the thread, or clicks something like "mark this forum read", so wondered if anyone had found a solution?

2. Mart

Mart Executive Janitor Staff

28 February 2002
    NYC
    Darlington FC
    It's an option in the admin control panel - VBulletin Options > General Settings > Thread/Forum Read Marking Type. We use the last option on here - Database (automatic forum marking).

3. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Yeah as always is the case, I found the answer myself about 30 seconds after making the thread, I went with option 2 as it seems closer to Ikonboard behaviour, will just keep an eye out for the "This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking."

[​IMG]

Did you notice much load increase when going from the default 1 to option 3?

4. Mart

Mart Executive Janitor Staff

28 February 2002
    NYC
    Darlington FC
    I didn't at the time, no. Not that I measured it scientifically or anything. I was wary after reading that bit of text but if there was a difference I didn't notice and there were no spikes in the server load. I think you'll be fine unless you have really busy forums.

5. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Ok thanks :)