FAO Vbulletin Forum admins

Placebo

Ԁlɐɔǝqo
3 May 2003
Orrefors, Sweden.
Sheffield Wednesday
Ok so having moved our forums from Ikonboard over to Vbulletin, one of the annoying things about Vbulletin is how it handles unread thread expiry, basically Vbulletin by default automatically marks threads as read based on time passed + user's cookie, whereas Ikonboard correctly shows unread threads as unread for ever, until the user reads the thread, or clicks something like "mark this forum read", so wondered if anyone had found a solution?

It's an option in the admin control panel - VBulletin Options > General Settings > Thread/Forum Read Marking Type. We use the last option on here - Database (automatic forum marking).

Yeah as always is the case, I found the answer myself about 30 seconds after making the thread, I went with option 2 as it seems closer to Ikonboard behaviour, will just keep an eye out for the "This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking."

unread.jpg

Did you notice much load increase when going from the default 1 to option 3?

I didn't at the time, no. Not that I measured it scientifically or anything. I was wary after reading that bit of text but if there was a difference I didn't notice and there were no spikes in the server load. I think you'll be fine unless you have really busy forums.

Back
Top Bottom