External USB Hard Drive Through TV

D

DagsJT

I've got a 26" CRT in my front room and I'd like to watch some movies from my external USB drive on that rather than on my 22" monitor in my bedroom.

I've got an XBox 1 in a box but as far as I know it doesn't support USB does it?

Failing that, what's the cheapest/easiest way of watching movies off my HDD on my TV downstairs? I don't want to take one of the next-gen consoles downstairs as my housemate watches a lot of TV as well so I wouldn't be able to use that console much.

Any ideas?

Get a WDTV Dags, we've got two and they are briljant imo. Can play a lot of files, 1080p output, hdmi/digital audio out. A great little media player for only 90euro's. The only issue Ive noticed is that it doesnt have a dts decoder in it, so if you have a file with dts only you have to hook it up to a surroundset. Or, which is what I do, you can convert the file on your PC beforehand. Other then that it's great for playing stuff.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/

Way too expensive for what I'm after, Tik. I've only got a shitty 26" CRT downstairs so don't need any kind of HD output, just something that will display XviD's really.

I looked into Stef's idea of DVD players but they seem to be around £100 as well :(

I was hoping to get something around £10/£20 or so.

Cheers Stef, bookmarked it :)

I think I'll try and acquire a very long ethernet cable and run it from my router to my XBox, then use XBMC to stream the films from my HDD to the XBox. Not the neatest idea going having cables trailing around but I'll see how well it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found my laptop has an s-video out connection which I should be able to use to output the video to my TV :)

but you need to check if the chipset on the dvd player is compatible with your external hdd.

that wd tv thing looks interesting, it does support hd avi files? (or x264 to be specific?)

Not sure acutally, I always have x264 .mkv files. Although it does play the sd avi's aswell.

Music - MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital, AIF/AIFF, MKA

Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
Video -MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264),
MTS, TP, TS

I can "acquire" them easy enough but cheers anyway ;)

I think I'll go for the S-video out option, seems pretty easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom