England v Switerland friendly (Wednesday Feb 6th 2008)

Plan M

Banned
27 September 2007
Manchester United
So what can we expect from tonight?

I hope there won't be a load of substitutions in the second-half ala Sven Mclaren era. Isn't there a new rule for friendlies now anyway?

Also, there will be respect for the Munich air crash tonight.

Shock horror, i actually expect most England players to make an effort tonight, what with the new manager. Specifically the new guys, Bentley, Young, Agbonlahor. Gerrard might even play half as good as he does for Liverpool, being the captain.

Isn't Agbonlahor injured? I hope not because I really rate that guy.

He is injured, I was looking forward to seeing him play for the senior team.

First time in ages i have looked forward to an England match

If they dont play well they are out of the team simple as

FORZA CAPELLO :)

Might watch it, depends if there is anything else on. Will be interesting to see if there is a visible change to team ethic with capello in charge. He definitly gives the impression that he wont stand for anything, which is how it should be.

Here's the expected line up (it was the last formation used in training yesterday):
D.James
W.Brown R.Ferdinand M.Upson A.Cole
D.Bentley S.Gerrard O.Hargreaves A.Young
J.Cole
W.Rooney

Looks like a good attacking line up, with plenty of pace too.

Here's the expected line up (it was the last formation used in training yesterday):
D.James
W.Brown R.Ferdinand M.Upson A.Cole
D.Bentley S.Gerrard O.Hargreaves A.Young
J.Cole
W.Rooney

Looks like a good attacking line up, with plenty of pace too.

love it, but would replace young with barry..

why not woodgate over upson as well

Formation looks really interesting. Great balance IMO. Looking forward to the match. I expect Switzerland to make it really tough. They have some quality players. Anyone know the Swiss squad?

Upson has been one of West Ham's best players of late. As for Barry on the left? No way, we need pace, that's why Capello has opted for Joe Cole behind Rooney as he is a skillful player but not full of pace.

Young has been playing very well and it alot better than Barry at left mid. Barry has become an established centre mid now so i doubt you will see him at left mid again

Nice selection there, when Agbonlahor is back it will be even better

Upson and Rob Green have been our best 2 players this season.
We have the best defensive record of any team outside the big 4 clubs and have only conceded 10 goals away from home which is 4th best and as good as Arsenal.

Apart from Ferdinand, it's either Upson, Lescott or Woodgate.
Woodgate has just moved from a struggling Boro side and Lescott has spent a lot of time at left back.
I persoally believe Upson is a better defender than Lescott anyway, but for me the top 3 choices when fit and on form are Rio, Woodgate and Terry.

If Woodgate had been playing as well as Upson at Spurs then I'd include him. Though maybe Capello prefers a left footed partner to Rio.

Upson has been consistently excellent at centre back and deserves the place in the team without a doubt.

It's good to see Capello giving chances to players from 'smaller' clubs.

Just hope he shows the same form tonight and takes his chance!!
I always get a little nervous when our own players play for England, partly because they come back injured! :lol:

Last edited:
I'm suprised Green wasn't called up - he's been much better than Carson & Kirkland in my opinion...
It'll be interesting to see if we play at Premier League pace - the formation would suit it, and we could adapt to a 4-3-3.
Hmm, sounds a bit like United's formation!

Might watch it, depends if there is anything else on. Will be interesting to see if there is a visible change to team ethic with capello in charge. He definitly gives the impression that he wont stand for anything, which is how it should be.

c'mon they have been together for 3 days!!don't expect a radical change now.

I'm glad James is back in goal tbh, yeah i said it. He earnt his re-call, im happy to see places judged on merit more than reputation, although gerrard would have been left out if that was completely the case. Imagine the controversy that would have caused tho...

Lets face it we'll all be watching to see what gaff our keeper will come up with next...I'm betting a miss clearance off both posts, then hit him square in the face and in... no, wait he goes up to catch a cross, then he attempts quick throw and chucks it in his own net.... no hang on..

Last edited:
I'm suprised Green wasn't called up

Mate as soon as the squad was announced I screamed at my fiancee "Where is Green?!"

He has been outstanding this season and I'm sorry, Scott Carson is shite compared.

Yeah I'd have picked James, Kirkland and Green.

Kirklands better than people think, having Titus Bramble infront of you cant help though can it!

I'm quite excited for once, I know it's only a friendly but I like Capello and I think he'll do well.

I think the problem with our national team is more to do with mentality, tactics and discipline than to do with the quality of our players.

I reckon we'll score a couple at least, should win really but we'll see.

Don't expect and exciting match though. England depress me. :(

Good job I support an attacking flare team or I would of killed myself by now.

Back
Top Bottom