ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Euro 2012 Squad Announced

Never have I been so bored watching a football match in my life.

and the weird super-imposed adboards... what the hell?

Midfielder Gareth Barry is ruled out of England's Euro 2012 squad with a lower abdomen injury. Defender Phil Jagielka has been called up as his replacement.

Excellent news.

Mind you, seen as he won't play Carrick, that means we've got a midfield of a half-fit Parker, past it Gerrard, mostly past it Lampard and pile of shite Milner.

Can see why Woy just wants to hoof it up the Carroll and hope for the best.

Not sure why Rooney is even bothering.

Yeah this team isn't very inspiring, but you never know we may do well now that there is no hype at all :LOL:

If we do do (haha I said do do) well, it definately won't be by playing good football.

can we forfeit? I rather it be like Euro 2008. that way I can just enjoy the tournament without the shame the England team brings.

exactly, i think if Roy is good at something , he is good at achieving good things with on paper not so great squad :D

i think England might go further this year...semifinals maybe..

semi finals, are you trolling lol? that means we will probably need to beat spain or italy. we beat spain in friendly but euro 2012 is totally different and we had capello back then.

oh, I expect them to go out in the group :O

So no Lampard then - Roy will cleverly bring in the man-legend Jordan Henderson.

Blows my mind.

Maybe if England hadn't dicked around one of the two consistent performing midfielders in the past 5 years (that'd be Lampard and Carrick) by taking him to 14 competitive matches and only playing him 4 times, with only 1 start, then they'd be in position where they don't need to bring in young player that hasn't had a good game at this level well...ever.

But hey, despite Gareth Barry having 3 consecutive MoM performances FOR THE OTHER TEAM at the last major tournament, he's still getting game time. Fine for me as a United fan, let Carrick rest up, but as an England fan it's dismal.

I actually look forward to see Henderson over Lampard there...made up for Jordan!

bad luck for Lampard though...

i think England might go further this year...semifinals maybe..

LnGw9.gif

I'm pretty convinced that Carrick is being overlooked for a reason that does not relate to football.

I remember that one time when Capello was attending a United game. He addressed Carrick with a surprised look on his face and told him something like "Why didn't you call me?". Turned out that Carrick was injured a few days before and didn't tell the England boss, who just made the selection for the next friendly, that he was fit again.

I don't think he was ever recalled after that "incident". Could be that the England management did not appreciate.

Carrick was United's best player in midfield this season. There is no way in hell that Henderson could be favored.

Someone just made a really good point on Twitter, if England line up as expected, it'll be:

Hart, Cole, Terry, Cahill, Jones, Parker, Henderson, Gerrard, Milner, Young, Carroll

That would be 2 players from the league champions, 2 from the second place team, 1 from the fourth placed team and the most players from the sixth and eighth placed teams.

Odd.

The majority of Spain's squad is made up of Barca and Real players. For Germany it's Bayern and Dortmund. For Italy it's Juventus.

For us, it's Liverpool. Christ on a bike.

The majority of Spain's squad is made up of Barca and Real players. For Germany it's Bayern and Dortmund. For Italy it's Juventus.

For us, it's Liverpool. Christ on a bike.

----------------Hart-------------
-Jones---Ferdinand-Smalling-Lescott--
-----------Carrick--Scholes-------
---------------Young-------------
-----Milner-------------Johnson--
---------------Rooney------------

Last edited:

Seeing Downing, Henderson and Carroll in a possible eleven makes me shudder.

This is the worst team selection I've seen. Now I wish Sven was back.

The reason Carrick didn't replace Lampard is because he retired from the England national team after it was announced he wasn't on the definitive squad.

Would've been interesting if he'd have played, had he not said he didn't want to be considered. Ridiculous that he isn't in the starting lineup, even more so that Barry, MIlner and Parker get in ahead of him.

Watched France-Serbia and I'm convinced it'll be painful for England. We'll be lucky to get near 30% possession. Even if it isn't a cricket score, it'll still be a huge embarrassment.

Hopefully we get some more injuries so we have to boycott, I'd rather go out that way then the raping we'll receive sending out that team.

Carrick didn't retire - he said he didn't want to be considered if he was just a squad player. Which is normally lamentable, but he's been utterly wasted at the past few tournaments and qualifiers - basically going over there and getting no game time whatsoever despite clearly being better than players on the pitch.

So I kind of understand.

Well I think a manager picks and choses his team, not a player. If Carrick doesnt want a spot on the bench then I think it's right he doesnt get picked. Joe Hart was comfortably better than Rob Green and even David James going into the last World Cup yet he was pretty much third choice. He was on the bench and bided his time, Green was dropped after the howler against USA, James took over for the rest of the tournament, but after the World Cup Hart established himself as first choice keeper. James himself went to that World Cup knowing he was not first choice, ditto Sol Campbell in 2006 who was almost third choice and only got a brief run out against Sweden. I think Carrick's a reasonably decent player, but in the past players like Hargreaves (who Ericsonn preferred), Lampard and Gerrard have been good players, there are very few players who have the right to start every match for their country.

Well I think a manager picks and choses his team, not a player. If Carrick doesnt want a spot on the bench then I think it's right he doesnt get picked. Joe Hart was comfortably better than Rob Green and even David James going into the last World Cup yet he was pretty much third choice. He was on the bench and bided his time, Green was dropped after the howler against USA, James took over for the rest of the tournament, but after the World Cup Hart established himself as first choice keeper. James himself went to that World Cup knowing he was not first choice, ditto Sol Campbell in 2006 who was almost third choice and only got a brief run out against Sweden. I think Carrick's a reasonably decent player, but in the past players like Hargreaves (who Ericsonn preferred), Lampard and Gerrard have been good players, there are very few players who have the right to start every match for their country.

Exactly, Carrick is a decent player but unproven in international games.
I also don't understand the way people react to Barry and Henderson. Henderson is England's biggest talent who had a bad season because he was played out of position but despite that showed glimpses of a creativity rare for English players.

Lampard almost past it? You clearly haven't seen the CL. Almost all the important goals came from Lampard passes. And for the equaliser in the final, Lampard intelligently blocked the defender and Drogba could score. A very, very intelligent player.

I also understand that a team with both Barry and Parker lacks creativity (and with the very unintelligent Gerrard in it this would be disastrous), but Barry played some fantastic matches for City at the end of the season. I've seen a few man of the match performances from him (if i'm not mistaken against United). Barry always has his place in the England squad and so has Parker (but don't play both of them together).

Someone just made a really good point on Twitter, if England line up as expected, it'll be:

Hart, Cole, Terry, Cahill, Jones, Parker, Henderson, Gerrard, Milner, Young, Carroll

That would be 2 players from the league champions, 2 from the second place team, 1 from the fourth placed team and the most players from the sixth and eighth placed teams.

Odd.

The sixth place team is also the European Champions, I myself wouldnt play Terry (although there is a lack of good English center backs at the peak of their careers), but Cahill's been more than good enough at club level (especially in the latter stages of the CL) and few would really disagree with Ashley Cole If Hodgson's going to play with a center back and left back from Chelsea (Cahill and Cole) I can see some of the logic for picking Terry as he's played with them on and off for the last 6 months, although I think he's well over-the-hill it and disruptive. And if Rooney hadn't been petulant in Titograd, it would probably be him instead of Carroll so that would bring it down to two Liverpool players (Henderson - who I would say is 50/50 to start and even that is only down to injuries to Barry and Lampard, and Gerrard).

Well I think a manager picks and choses his team, not a player. If Carrick doesnt want a spot on the bench then I think it's right he doesnt get picked. Joe Hart was comfortably better than Rob Green and even David James going into the last World Cup yet he was pretty much third choice. He was on the bench and bided his time

Carrick is 30 and almost 31 now.

Hart was 23 during World cup.

That's not a good comparison.

How old was James at the 2010 World Cup (when he was clearly 2nd choice behind Green going into the WC)? How old was Campbell at the 2006 World Cup (when he was virtually the 3rd choice center back)? Both were older than Carrick is now.

Del Piero was 32 at the 2006 World Cup (when he was starting the group matches on the bench), he again became an infulentual player at that World Cup but when it started (and the squad was announced) he was not a guarenteed first team player. Inzaghi was 32/33 when he only made one appearance at the 2006 World Cup for the Italians, same with Schneider for Germany at WC2006, and Klinsmann announced that Lehmann would be first choice in April 06, but a 36 year old Kahn still went as back up for the World Cup. It was the same story with an even older Peruzzi (2nd choice behind Buffon) for the Italians at that World Cup. All of these players are very high profile, playing for high profile countries, yet none of them thought themselves too big to be on the bench, they all accepted they had a part to play even if they were not definitive starters.

"The contacts with Michael were conducted before I took the job. It was made clear to me he was not a player who wanted to be considered so he wasn't a player I considered. Michael is a player I have always admired and who knows in the future?"
Carrick's issue was with Capello. If Woy had made a personal effort to ring him up and talk about the situation, he could've called him up.

Looks like to me like Woy's just taken the word of the FA spin doctors and not bothered to look into the matter himself.

How old was James at the 2010 World Cup (when he was clearly 2nd choice behind Green going into the WC)? How old was Campbell at the 2006 World Cup (when he was virtually the 3rd choice center back)? Both were older than Carrick is now.

Del Piero was 32 at the 2006 World Cup (when he was starting the group matches on the bench), he again became an infulentual player at that World Cup but when it started (and the squad was announced) he was not a guarenteed first team player. Inzaghi was 32/33 when he only made one appearance at the 2006 World Cup for the Italians, same with Schneider for Germany at WC2006, and Klinsmann announced that Lehmann would be first choice in April 06, but a 36 year old Kahn still went as back up for the World Cup. It was the same story with an even older Peruzzi (2nd choice behind Buffon) for the Italians at that World Cup. All of these players are very high profile, playing for high profile countries, yet none of them thought themselves too big to be on the bench, they all accepted they had a part to play even if they were not definitive starters.

They're all players who've played and given the chance more than enough though. Carrick has barely played and not given enough chance in comparison. Maybe at this age he's had enough? Same story of always featuring on the bench?

Back
Top Bottom