ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread

As I said before, joke teams like Madrid and Fiorentina should not be there, I'd love to see only the Champions of each league in there, but it won't happen, and I can understand but throwing in almost 20% of one leagues teams is just stupid.

I'm watching Atletico Madrid against Barca and thinking surely teams like Steau Bucharest or Dyanmo Kiev's should be in there without all these stupid playoffs, they have more merit than these kind of teams.

FD

Yeah, don't let Fiorentina, Atletico, Arsenal or the likes in cause they can't win the big one in their leagues. That those teams would easily outplay 90% percent of the sides in Ukraine, Romania, Scotland or wherever and would collect trophy after trophy in those leagues is irrelevant, I guess. It's called Champions League after all, so it should be for champions and not for ... like the best teams in Europe or such.

Only problem with that would be that the competition would attract significantly less people around the globe, resulting in a huge decline in revenue for the UEFA and ultimately the competing clubs.
So what would happen in the long run? Rich, powerful clubs would sooner or later create their own competition to attract a larger audience. Barca would win the the Roman-Abramovich-Cup while Celtic finally wins the UEFA Champions League in an almost sold out Shuco-Arena against FK Ventspils ...

Last edited:

:LOL: So true.

Anyway, this thread is about the England national team so take your Champions League debate elsewhere. :SMUG:

i honestly wonder if youre watching the right sport if you think Athletico and Fiorentina are Joke Clubs. Are you sure you like football? Or do you just like the glamour of the big clubs/names and the media orgasm circus that surrounds it?

No he is a bitter Celtic fan and cant hack it that Rangers are in the CL and Celtic are not cos Arsenal beat them.

Nobody watches it anyway :LOL: I've watched 3 matches on ESPN this season and they've all been TERRIBLE! Nearly as bad as the MLS! ;)

Back to being crap in the first half last night, Improved with SWP,Crouch and Carrick all improving the team. Will be interesting to see if Lampard is dropped in the next friendly.

BTW any chance we can get the World Cup forum going soon, nothing better to get everyone discussing their nations chances/issues :))

Rooney was appalling last night, though admittedly the service to him wasn't exactly very good.

Barry, Lampard and Gerrard shouldn't be allowed in the same team, and Barry especially isn't good enough for England. Put Carrick in there and watch him clean up properly like he did when he came on last night. (may or may be biased there but I don't care)

Rooney was appalling last night, though admittedly the service to him wasn't exactly very good.

Barry, Lampard and Gerrard shouldn't be allowed in the same team, and Barry especially isn't good enough for England. Put Carrick in there and watch him clean up properly like he did when he came on last night. (may or may be biased there but I don't care)

I disagree, I thought Rooney was one of the better players.

Barry was alright although quite wasteful a lot of the time, same with Gerrard but to a lesser extent.

Lampard was shit. Again.

Again? He was the best out of Gerrard, Barry and himself throughout the qualifying. One below par game and he's shit? I'd drop Barry for Carrick and play him with Lampard.

No bias in there form you boys then..... I actully thought Barry was one of the beter players last night, as did most of the papers!

Carrick is the better player out the two. I don't think Barry will get dropped though. Capello clearly feels Barry and one of either Lampard or Carrick to partner him for some reason.

Barry isn't a DM either when he plays for England, that's why Carrick works.

First half both Barry and Lampard were pushing forward and noone was sitting back, combined with Gerrard deciding there was something wrong with the left hand side of the pitch, it meant that we had three midfielders doing the same job in the same part of the pitch and we got overran.

Once Carrick came on, Barry could go forward if he wanted and Carrick was always there to sit and mop up anything. He CAN tackle as well plus he's at least semi-quick enough and clever enough to be in the right place at the right time if needed.

I'll admit I'm biased, there's no way I can deny it, but we certainly looked a better side once the midfield sorted itself out and Carrick contributed to that quite a bit.

I agreed with most of that then you ruined by saying Carrick CAN tackle ;) Thats why you bought Hargreaves....

seriously barry is the better all around baller then carrick, carrick is way too inconsistent and I never really see him tackle anyone

Im seriously confused by what our midfield should look like for the world cup.

Gerrard and Lampard cant play together, fact, but they are both two good to leave out, both are massive goalthreats and link up well with Rooney. Carrick is probably the best playmaker out of the lot, but isnt mobile enough, and then you really need the energy of someone like barry to break up attacks. But they cant all play!

But I actually think Carrick has to play particularly because we will have to keep the ball a lot longer than usual.

Gerrard was awful on Wednesday, needs to improve his form in the coming months

Eh?

England need more of a Fletcher than a Scholes, Carrick would be able to do the play maker role but they lack the energy of someone in the middle to compliment that.

Matty Taylor for England, he's the kind of player you want on the muddy pitch fighting alongside you as Harry did at Agincourt.

I'd have Carrick, Barry and Lampard as the three central midfielders in a 4-3-3.

Have Lennon on the right and Gerrard on the left, with their defensive faculties being negated by the presence of an extra man in central midfield.

Rooney up front on his own, playing the "false 9" role he played fantastically well against Arsenal and Inter.

England will need someone like Carrick who can dictate the game from deep against these higher quality, passing sides in the World Cup.

That would defintely work. Lennon could provide the majority of the width on the right and whoever's at left back would help provide width on that side allowing Gerrard to cut in and support Rooney with Lampard bursting forward from midfield.

Anyone got Capello's number?

Just seen the England squad

GK – Hart, Green, Ruddy
DF – Baines, Cahill, Cole, Johnson, Jones, Lescott, Terry
M – Barry, Downing, Gerrard, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Parker, Walcott, Young, Milner
S – Carroll, Defoe, Rooney, Welbeck

129193762900667636.jpg

Back
Top Bottom