England Team nonsense

Yeah i know Stuart Pearce...The FA has given him the national under 21 team As a part time job...The guy is fighting not to go down and he's named national coach...Great:roll:
just to show you the futur of english football is bright...

martin o'neill is the only good English tactician

martin o'neill is from ireland

England have no top class international standard managers. O'Neill and Ferguson are the closest we have on these shores and they aren't even English anyway. It's a travesty to be honest.

Ok, but let's llok at it from the point of view of the FA...
Sven Goran Eriksson was their previous coach - a foreigner.
At the beginning he had good results (remember the 5 goals in Munchen). Afterwards things went wrong and on top of that England lost matches because Eriksson made mistakes (every manager does).
From then on Eriksson got stick in the media because he mad mistakes but also because he was a foreigner (you just have to admit that some of your your papers are pretty chauvinistic).

From then on it was clear that the next England coach would either be a success coach (Wenger, Scolari, Hiddink) or and English coach (Allardyce, Curbishley,...).

You haven't got good coaches but your players are tactically immature too...they always loose against southern teams who play skillfull football and on top of that "dive" (this is a metaphor for for very smart teams who may not always be fair).

No doubt Eriksson was given stick because he was a foreigner, chauvinism on the papers part, yes of course. But he proved over the years that he didn't have any idea how his players tick. So his lack of knowledge for the English mentality was always going to bring detractors. Basically, Eriksson was a joker. He cared more about getting into the pants of the next floozy or doing a dodgy deal than taking his job seriously. A simplistic way of looking at his English managerial career, but true. The newspapers had every right to criticize him in my view, he wasn't doing a good job. Apart from the private life, the majority of England matches left a bitter taste in the mouth, that shouldn't be the case.

In McClaren's relatively short spell as manager he has shown all the traits that Eriksson displayed when it come to tactics, formations, substitutions etc. We finally got rid of Sven (still earning millions off the F.A), only to move in an unwanted replacement who looks like a carbon copy when it comes to common sense, or lack of. We needed someone who has balls and can make tough decisions when needed. The only Englishman who would be capable of that was Allardyce, who wanted the job but was shunned in favour of an easy option.

McClaren wanted to show independence by dropping Beckham, but that wasn't a tough decision, it was a cop out and scape goat for a bad World Cup. If McClaren really wanted to move the team forward, he would never have played Phil Neville at left back yesterday!

I agree with what you're saying about the players Stan, they have just as much responsibility. Most a highly overrated, which is quite evident when they report for national duty. Some need to seriously question their places in the team. It shouldn't have taken Joey Barton to do that for them!

Last edited:
Its not just the Media. English fans are just Hype led and don't have a clue.
Look at the Whole Lampards Crap and Gerrards Ace nonsense when For 3 Seasons in a row Lampard has consistently been a much better player than Gerrard and his Goals and Assist totals prove so.
As a midfielder he was top goal scorer in a championship winning club and that never happens.
But Gerrard will have a shocking season then in a cup final he will score a wonder goal and he becomes the son of god again overnight its a joke and this is from the eyes of a Forest Fan(neutral).

Its not just the Media. English fans are just Hype led and don't have a clue.
Look at the Whole Lampards Crap and Gerrards Ace nonsense when For 3 Seasons in a row Lampard has consistently been a much better player than Gerrard and his Goals and Assist totals prove so.
As a midfielder he was top goal scorer in a championship winning club and that never happens.
But Gerrard will have a shocking season then in a cup final he will score a wonder goal and he becomes the son of god again overnight its a joke and this is from the eyes of a Forest Fan(neutral).

definitely agree with that but the reasons lampards gets stick are he plays for chelsea and when he plays for England he's not good enough(but who is good enough when he plays under the England shirt??)
you 're right about one thing who is more important than nothing
the STATS!!!as T.Henry always says the STATS don't lie!!!

Foster didnt do anything wrong. :roll:
Quoted for truth. I felt he did well when called upon, particularly that save from Villa's long range effort, but he couldn't do anything about the goal, it was well taken from Iniesta.

I think some people have got a marginalised opinion just because he's been playing behind leaky defences for the last 3 seasons - had it not been for some decent performances he's put in so far this season Watford would have conceded a lot more goals than they have done. I reckon he'll be Man U's first choice stopper once VDS ends his career, you mark my words.

Anyway I'm £500 richer as a result of his first cap. I put that bet on 2 years ago. :mrgreen:

So there is no good english tactician...:(

Sam Alladyce? Steve Coppell's not doing too bad either. Curbishley was praised as well before his West Ham stint...

The thing that always gets me about friendlies is that it's a time to test new players / player combinations, so why always pick the same players who never seem to do too well?

England left side?
Let's play Lampard there as he isn't as effective in the middle as he is for Chelsea (though to be fair he makes it looks easy at Chelsea as they're a better team than England). Cole & Bridge injured? Bring in P.Neville. He does an OK job in midfield or RCB for Everton, but not LB. Obviously McLaren forgot about the Romania game a few years ago...
IMO it would have been better to try people like Matty Taylor, James Milner & Leyton Baines.

Up Front.
OK so for various reasons / injuries top choices Rooney, Owen, Johnson & Ashton didn't / couldn't play. Why not give some youngsters a go - Lita, Derbyshire or Agbonlahor? Critics doubted Rooney being called up so young and now he's one of our main players...

People probably wouldn't have minded too much if we lose if they can see that new things are being tested.

There's also plenty of other players who should maybe be considered ie Carson, Curtis Davies, Bentley, Nolan. OK they might not be everyone's first choice but if they're able to gel into the team and get results...

England have no top class international standard managers. O'Neill and Ferguson are the closest we have on these shores and they aren't even English anyway. It's a travesty to be honest.

Well if Ferguson manged England I think a good few Scots would hate him lol

Who the fcuk is Barry and Barton?
They're not good enough to play for England.
Yeah,and Foster...I think he is too young for starting eleven.

I think you missed the point with Foster, he is too young and has no experience and this is exactly why he played.

Barry never showed much but what can you expect for a player that's not a regular.

However Barton looked good from the moment he came on, although round players that were very poor he looked one of the brightest since the moment he came on the park.

I was less than happy with the overall performance, we looked dreadful even though it was a weak squad it was still muck.

there was no point playing lampard and the other england first teamers , isnt that the whole point in a friendly , he constantly brings downing of the bench , hes totaly shit ,carrick thinks hes a superstar now , england are a total joke theres so many problems i carnt be arsed to talk about . why play phil neville left back , hes an england hasbeen he should be in a zimmerframe by now ffs . i dont care anymore bout them beacuse they carnt perform in the big tourniments anyways once they come up against decent oponent we lose the plot so . :roll:

It pisses me that the u-18's and u-21's usually play really well but after that, we become shit. Some of those players don't end up playing for the big teams and that's the problem. Our national team is full of good individuals and are not a good team.
Why can't we keep the u-18 team together even though some of the players may play in the championship? They would play well as they have grown up together. You only have to look at how Man Utd's kids and Arsenal's kids play and the future they have or had.

Results od u-21 does not mean much if the players don't get the chance to become first team regulars.
Here in belgium we have good young players, our youth teams have good results, but then the best young players go to foreign teams (PSV, Ajax even some English or Italian clubs)because they earn much more compared to what Belgian clubs pay them. They do it for money, but never play...
In England they can't play first team footabll because:
1 foreigners are better than youg English players (which is logic: all foreigners have at least 5 caps for their national team...so they are good)
2 the clubs show not enough patience (which isn't normal, it's short sighted).

If we had an all English championship (2nd division) team it would proably be better than the England team. What I mean is the best players don't always mean the best team.
We try to cram as many top players into the team as we can. If you play for the big 4, you're in the squad. Crouch didn't get a sniff until he moved to Liverpool. Basically, Ferguson, Benitez, Wenger and Mourinho are the England manager.

If we had an all English championship (2nd division) team it would proably be better than the England team. What I mean is the best players don't always mean the best team.
We try to cram as many top players into the team as we can. If you play for the big 4, you're in the squad. Crouch didn't get a sniff until he moved to Liverpool. Basically, Ferguson, Benitez, Wenger and Mourinho are the England manager.

true, here would be my starting 11

-----------James-----------

Richards-----Rio----Terry-----Cole

-------------Hargreaves-----------

Lennon---------Nolan/barton--------Barry

-------rooney--------------bent

Nice to see Young and Lescott in the squad... though they won't play.
So Owen can choose who plays now? I'd like to see all these big names fucked off for a bit and give some players with some heart a chance. Owen will play because of his experience, but how much experience do you need against the likes of Israel?

I am loathed to comment in these type of threads because although I think that we have a clown for a manager, and I slag him off as a fan of th national team....

I think that whole threads like this just become a farce.

You get a lot of people who enter the thread with the sole purpose of slaggin off England and what it means to be English or an English fan and I just think that much of the attitude is disgusting.

I would never think of having a similar attitude and going into the thread of another country and and team and say things like you are shit for 40 years etc.....just disgusting attitude.

Things like this make me really sad about being English because I know that other countries/teams do not get this abuse on the site. if you go in their threads before games, they do not get this abuse. The vitriol feels quite personal and to me like an attack on my identity and who I am.

Just makes me sad that people feel like this towards us....whatever the reason.

My first and last post in this thread then.

Last edited:
Good to see Heskey in the squad.
Such an easy target, but partnerships are crucial in football all throughout the team and despite Heskey not being as good as some other strikers in the squad, I think Heskey and Owen are perhaps our best partnership available to us at the moment.

Oh, and vanzandt, you smell of piss you English swine :D

I can't believe we're booing our own player. I feel for Bentley, poor bastard. His first England cap as well.

Back
Top Bottom