Empire of Sports

pboreham

Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.
5 August 2002
C*lchester
Southend Utd
Anyone else been following this?

MMO based around sports, persistant character sounds interesting. I.e. if you train for tennis, you may be quick on your feet, but may not be strong enough on the ball in Football.

Sounds like they are gonna push advertising (in game shops selling Adidas clothes for your character to wear for example) and also try to get real clubs involved.... i.e. have an 'Arsenal' football club in the game run by Arsenal. So once you get good at football, you may end up playing for Arsenal in tournaments online etc.

All in all sounds good, dunno if they can pull it off.

Anyway, I've signed up today for the Beta and gonna download it soon, so I'll keep you all abreast :)

PC only - free download. THink they are hoping to sell stuff in game to make money and from advertising - i.e. Nike paying for adboards at the football pitches.

Create a character - like Second Life, or PS3s Home and then you wander around this 'sport village' and can chat to people etc.

You have a 'home' which you can buy stuff for/disply trophies etc and I think you can have people visit your home.

Dotted around the village as well as other players are 'helpers' - NPCs who give advice on training etc.

You can do all sorts of training - though as I mentioned, your character is persistant in all sports. So if you do a load of weight training and buff up, you wont be very good as a tennis player.

Sports so far are:

Tennis (meant to be really good - ASWD control player, mouse shots)
Basketball
Track & Field
Ski-ing
Football
Bobsleigh (i think)

And as I say, you only play 1 position - so in football, you will just be one player (bit like FIFAs 5v5 Be a Pro).

They want to involve coaches too - so the vision is to have someone in the game run a football club - they can then select other humans to play for their club, give out tactics etc.

If done right (i.e. avoiding idiots who will ignore you and just run around), I can really see the vision behind it.

I'm sceptical if they can pull it off though...

Tried it on my laptop last night - didnt get to do any sports, but the lag was pretty bad anyway. Prob needs a high/v.high system to run well on.

http://www.empireofsports.com/

Last edited:
Was going to say that myself but I couldn't remember what it was called. :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom