eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in that "Podcast" I posted above, DMK said that if you're expecting a completely new game, then obviously PES 2020 won't be your thing, because it's clearly an updated, improved, version of 2019. But he said that they added so many things to the gameplay that were very necessary that he can't play 2019 now after playing so many hours (more than 20, he claims) of PES 2020 at E3.

I also like what he said about the fact that you can't pass, pass, pass without the need to take the first touch, control the ball, and then pass the ball again, otherwise the pass will not be as accurate. If they keep it that way for release, it's going to be a great addition. Heavy first touch, misplaced passes, etc... are very necessary this year for both AI and human.
Sounds good BUT let's not forget the product will get worse over time. From demo to full game but also the many updates and iterations after that. So whether or not the demo will be good is a moot point really. Though if the demo is shit then rest assured the rest will be the same or even moreso.

Also, I hope I will be proven wrong but misplaced shots and passes and bad touches do not fit into the efootball thing at all. If anything everything needs to be laser accurate or the onliners won't pay for it.

Well in that "Podcast" I posted above, DMK said that if you're expecting a completely new game, then obviously PES 2020 won't be your thing, because it's clearly an updated, improved, version of 2019. But he said that they added so many things to the gameplay that were very necessary that he can't play 2019 now after playing so many hours (more than 20, he claims) of PES 2020 at E3.

I also like what he said about the fact that you can't pass, pass, pass without the need to take the first touch, control the ball, and then pass the ball again, otherwise the pass will not be as accurate. If they keep it that way for release, it's going to be a great addition. Heavy first touch, misplaced passes, etc... are very necessary this year for both AI and human.
But thats good. Good that its not completely different game. I think most of us here agreed that they dont need to reinvent the wheel and that 19 has a good base to built on.
As it stands it looks like they fixed all the bad things from 19 - ping pong passing, defending, AI..
Barry said there is still not many fouls against AI and he passed the feedback. On a flip side he also said even tho there is not many fouls - the physicality is there. And I remember posting in pes17 thread that I dont think its the amount of fouls I need in a football game (sometimes I get only 2 or 3 in pes17), its the physicality that makes it so good.

Im just afraid that, by the time its on the shelves, it will be hyper fast, over accurate ping pong fiesta again..

But thats good. Good that its not completely different game. I think most of us here agreed that they dont need to reinvent the wheel and that 19 has a good base to built on.
As it stands it looks like they fixed all the bad things from 19 - ping pong passing, defending, AI..
Barry said there is still not many fouls against AI and he passed the feedback. On a flip side he also said even tho there is not many fouls - the physicality is there. And I remember posting in pes17 thread that I dont think its the amount of fouls I need in a football game (sometimes I get only 2 or 3 in pes17), its the physicality that makes it so good.

Im just afraid that, by the time its on the shelves, it will be hyper fast, over accurate ping pong fiesta again..
Oh without a doubt that last thing will happen. Fouls as well - these will not increase. I'd bet this is the end product as-is,this is what we're getting end of August. From then on it will gradually become the Uber fast ping pong fiesta we all know and loathe. Rinse and repeat. I would be shocked if the coming footy gaming year would play out any differently.

Imma be honest with you... I can't recall the last time I had that "Woah! this is great, please don't change it" feeling when playing a demo, in relation to the final game.
Yeah, obviously we all know PES 2019 was a little bit better in the demo because dribbling was somewhat better, there were more fouls and better foot planting. But it's not like they ruined the game by release day. They made it a little worse, in my opinion, but it was still PES 2019 with all the flaws and all the virtues. Same thing with 2018, 2017, etc.

My memory might be failing me right now, but I honestly don't remember having that feeling in these latest years.

reg. 2019: so after all the updates i started an exihibition match again (last weekend). played very well (3:1 Bayern win against Tottenham).
startet a new ML (bayern in bundesliga)... same attack pattern and lcs as before! ...and i'm good with 2017 again... :D

at least we will have the 2020 demo date by the end of the week!

Imma be honest with you... I can't recall the last time I had that "Woah! this is great, please don't change it" feeling when playing a demo, in relation to the final game. [...]
My memory might be failing me right now, but I honestly don't remember having that feeling in these latest years.
Oh mate, why did you end on this.

I went looking, just to see if you were right...

I was enjoying FIFA 18 Demo [...] But then, this monster came along. Called PES 2018. And That was it. I tried playing another match of FIFA 18 today but it was impossible.

If I do grow out of PES as next year unfolds, I may try to get FIFA at a lower price and start over. But for now, [the] PES 2018 [demo] has everything I've been looking for (on the pitch).

You definitely felt blown away by the PES 2018 demo. You called it a "monster"!

(P.S. - I bet I've said the same thing, in-fact I know I have about the FIFA demo, but I'd never claim otherwise because I know the evidence is all here... :LOL:)

EDIT: And the beautiful irony is, months before, you said this:

Need I remind you what you were saying last year when the Demo came out? What WE ALL were saying when the demo came out. [...] I can remember you wrote something like no cpu goals scored against you felt cheap, and you loved that.

What I'm trying to say is, you will probably love the demo. Buy the game. And then by the 6th month you'll probably be annoyed at so many things again by this time next year, and you'll be left in the state you are now.

We all do it, every damn year...!

Demo time is the worst...

Last edited:
Oh mate, why did you end on this.

I went looking, just to see if you were right...

You definitely felt blown away by the PES 2018 demo. You called it a "monster"!

(P.S. - I bet I've said the same thing, in-fact I know I have about the FIFA demo, but I'd never claim otherwise because I know the evidence is all here... :LOL:)

EDIT: And the beautiful irony is, months before, you said this:

We all do it, every damn year...!

Demo time is the worst...

Haha! Nice work, detective! :D
My memory is definitely failing me then! And I'm only 31!

All jokes aside, I really couldn't remember myself liking PES 2018 demo that much. It probably got old too quickly for me. Maybe its flaws became way too big for me to pretend they were not there... I don't know anymore.

Last edited:
Haha! Nice work, detective! :D
My memory is definitely failing me then!

And I'm only 31!
True story - I can never remember how old I am (amongst other things).

I took my car into a workshop recently, and they gave me a courtesy car - but before they give you the keys, for security purposes, they ask you to confirm your name and age.

I stood there, saying (out loud), "okay, hang on, I was born in 1984, so that's, how many years is that, that's 35 years isn't it, I must be 35 - no hang on, I wasn't born until later in the year - but I'm sure I'm 35 - but I can't be - does it say I'm 35? I think the maths is 34 but I'm sure I'm 35... Is it 35?"

There were two people at the reception, who both turned and looked at each other like "oh fuck, what do we do - this guy is using a fake ID or something"... I don't really know why they let me drive away... (Well, I think I drove away - I can't remember...)

True story - I can never remember how old I am (amongst other things).

I took my car into a workshop recently, and they gave me a courtesy car - but before they give you the keys, for security purposes, they ask you to confirm your name and age.

I stood there, saying (out loud), "okay, hang on, I was born in 1984, so that's, how many years is that, that's 35 years isn't it, I must be 35 - no hang on, I wasn't born until later in the year - but I'm sure I'm 35 - but I can't be - does it say I'm 35? I think the maths is 34 but I'm sure I'm 35... Is it 35?"

There were two people at the reception, who both turned and looked at each other like "oh fuck, what do we do - this guy is using a fake ID or something"... I don't really know why they let me drive away... (Well, I think I drove away - I can't remember...)

hahahaha!
It's our sleep deprivation that's doing that to us man, we're not old!

Yeah, obviously we all know PES 2019 was a little bit better in the demo because dribbling was somewhat better, there were more fouls and better foot planting. But it's not like they ruined the game by release day. They made it a little worse, in my opinion, but it was still PES 2019 with all the flaws and all the virtues. Same thing with 2018, 2017, etc.
I think, as far as I remember, that I loved 19 demo. Ball physics, randomness, stamina, physicality.. But 19 demo was a big Konami cover up operation. 5 mins matches camouflaged terrible AI. Im almost impressed by the way they fooled me.
See 19 didnt stand the chance from the get go, due to this terrible AI. We just didnt know it yet.
So, providing AI is decent this year, there is a chance for a decent game..

Starting from Pes 2018 disappointment, then 2019 demo and the news they were going to remove Spanish and Italian second divisions i decided i wasn't going to give them money unless the full game was going to be something special. You know how it all ended. So yeah, last year for the first time i managed to not buy the game at all, even when it was 10€ on Ps store.

Pes 2019 demo was actually useful to confirm that it was not my kind of game. This is why this year i'm waiting for the demo to judge Pes 2020 gameplay even though i already saw some suspicious things from matches played against AI at E3 (lack of fouls and broken cursor switch above all). It must really convince me, not going to make excuses because "early code". If i see i'm more frustrated than enjoying it that is the sign i will skip this year too.

I really hope they don't go with the stupid 5 minutes matches again. Last year they tried to hide the broken AI with such short length but in the end it still showed huge flaws in CPU AI behaviour.

Uhmm.. what the two guys said in the "podcast" was really interesting, at least the bits I've heard, there is no denying that if the stuff they described made it through we'd have a pretty good game.. but, the possibility of Konami dumbing it down is always around the corner.. in the era of patches and costant tweakings to make happy online people, I simply can't be hyped anymore for football games..

The last PES demo which I couldn’t stop playing was PES 2013. I was addicted. I would play game after game as Portugal until the early hours of the morning.

All of the PES demos since have been a bit meh or haven’t given me that enjoyment.

I think it’s because I’m older though. Football gaming doesn’t really excite me anymore, I’m kind of sick of it.

I think it’s because I’m older though. Football gaming doesn’t really excite me anymore, I’m kind of sick of it.
I feel the same way and I believe it's because guys like us aren't catered to now. I really don't think it's just "we're old and we've outgrown this" - I think it's that realism, simulation, offline-focus, lots-to-tinker-with and maybe most importantly that feeling of building a poor team into a great one through bad results and hard work, grinding out wins against a nightmare (but fair) AI... has gone*.

Case in point, start up myClub / FUT and you have a top-tier, gold-standard team on day one, if you pre-ordered the game. Superstar after superstar. No hard work necessary™.

Even when FUT was born, you were given a bronze team and everyone else had a bronze team, and you really had to grind to progress. Nobody wants that now.

I think if the day came where a big studio made a career-focused football game, or at least a game with realism as the focus, we'd be back to our childhoods, loving it. But until that happens, I think we're probably fucked. We're not the market.

*Which may well be because as games have become more advanced, the AI just can't cope with the field of variables, meaning much less individuality and much more "every game's the same" - in which case... We need to go back, damnit.

Last edited:
Case in point, start up myClub / FUT and you have a top-tier, gold-standard team on day one, if you pre-ordered the game. Superstar after superstar. No hard work necessary™.

Even when FUT was born, you were given a bronze team and everyone else had a bronze team, and you really had to grind to progress. Nobody wants that now.
Very true.
I started playing FUT for the first time in December and I don't think I've played with bronze players unless it was a Weekly Objective.
I pop into MyClub from time to time to use up the free coins they give out and my team has De Gea, Messi, Mbappe and Cruijff to name a few. I've never even played one match in the mode.

Also, I hope I will be proven wrong but misplaced shots and passes and bad touches do not fit into the efootball thing at all. If anything everything needs to be laser accurate or the onliners won't pay for it.

I don't say you are wrong in any way but the NHL- series made the online passing less assisted a couple of years ago and the community simply adapted. But if Konami are true to their vision or listening to angry kids not being able to ping pong the ball around is another discussion...

Every company want profit, but most of them actually care about their console games. Konami is now the worst if you want quality console games. EA is very close. Unfortunately we are stuck with two of the worst software house making football games.

It's a bit offtopic but EA too lately is making profits just thanks to Ultimate Team and Fifa. They shrinked their console games output so much and when they release a game it's generally GAAS and actually bad. Long gone are the times when they tried to release new quality games like Dead Space and Mass Effect.

Mass Effect Andromeda was a failure, Anthem was an even greater failure.
This is so true, the worst two cheap as hell! Would love two see how much they profit every year off these football games. They probably only invest 25%. This is why sports games are so far behind other genre like RPG's. Look at what CDPR is doing, its cutting edge technology in CyberPunk.

Last edited:
The best bit of MyClub is the least spoken of part - that bronze / white ball players can be levelled up massively.

I tried to get a 70 rated Ryan Sessegnon to max level on 2018. Yet after tons of games and using every single trainer I ever got on him I was still miles off. Was cool using him in the 80s though.

Just a tad bit too much effort for a single player. Shame really as this would add some really interesting diversity to players teams if it was focused on more. But playing the game in this manner doesn’t lead you to their virtual slot machine so it serves Konami no purpose.

The last PES demo which I couldn’t stop playing was PES 2013. I was addicted. I would play game after game as Portugal until the early hours of the morning.

All of the PES demos since have been a bit meh or haven’t given me that enjoyment.

IMO 2013 was the last PES that had hope. I still think its the game engine, ever sense 2014 PES hasn't been good enough. If Konami would just take PES 5 and put it into a new engine and bring it to PS5.__. we would be good.

Isn't it somewhat funny that they are talking about a brand new, super-modern menu, when all they've done is basically change the background, remove the border from each text-box? Most (not all of it, but I'd say 70% of it) of the UI content is exactly in the same position, in the same format as it has been forever. Literally.

The main menu is the only one I've seen that you could actually think "hey! they really changed it!", but as for the rest of it, it's just a different background.

And it's really not that big of a deal for me, I just don't like it when they announce or talk about something over and over when it's not even true because that's exactly what they've been doing for the past 6 years with every other feature.

Was really disappointed when I saw this during the streams at E3, as I already preordered the game. Hope they do change the menus for every aspect of the game, and especially for edit mode, but I highly doubt it

Reactions: OBH
Imma be honest with you... I can't recall the last time I had that "Woah! this is great, please don't change it" feeling when playing a demo, in relation to the final game.

The Day I decided not to DL 19 demo or buy the fucking game (did anyway) was when a mate of mine (RIP@Deco )played vsLiverpool,and Salah was one on one with the keeper and still didn't finish,but ran out to the side dribbling.
Worst thing I've ever seen

Edit virtual RIP to Deco,not real !

Last edited:
OK, I was reading the last pages, all you are talks about Konami's programming skill and competent. If we are fair.. yes they become greedy and manipulative, they invest more time codding scripts and gameplay manipulation, not to improve much more the AI itself, but ... other big sports companies are even worst. Look 2k... they are even worse than EA now. NBA 2k series is going to junk after 2k release that they can make more money with greedy modes and unskippable ads.. yes you must watch ads in the game that you pay... The game's self stop evolve and start to invest programming power in monetization after sell. For EA... good codding ?? Hell no.. the gameplay and animation are clunky and bad, the FIFA is full of bugs and fails since.. we have FIFA and they have never fixed. Some people make fortune in youtube by making FIFA fails compilations. I don't wanna defend or excuse Konami, they make a lot of mistakes and bullshit with PES series, eFootball maybe is one of the stupidest but can be way worst I think :D

Was really disappointed when I saw this during the streams at E3, as I already preordered the game. Hope they do change the menus for every aspect of the game, and especially for edit mode, but I highly doubt it
Do you remember grey background in Pes19? First time I saw it I thought
- aaah, that must be early built. There is no fucking way in hell they'll leave this grey background for release. I wouldnt leave it like that. You can do nicer background in Paint...
...and we all know the rest...
So yeah, no chance. :LOL:

Oh... menus.. are a painful topic. Since PS4/Xboner/FOX era we have awful menus. I remember almost all menus in PS2-PS3 era was .. so good... They were like .. artworks...fast, responsible, original and beautiful! Looks like they lost the guys who was creating all this great menu and now some 10 years old kid makes PES menus and UI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom