Editor sacked over Kane & Lynch review?

D

DagsJT

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176668

Rumours are circulating this morning that the editor of Gamespot was pushed out of his job because of a negative Kane & Lynch review.

Jeff Gerstmann, editor of CNet site Gamespot,is reported to have left the company after giving Eidos' Heat-inspired shooter 6 /10. The circumstances of his termination haven't been revealed, but considering the front of the site is awash with ads for the game, speculation has inevitably run wild.

Gerstmann dished out a 6/10 for Kane & Lynch, which sits right in the middle of the current review average of 65 to 69.

According to an anonymous Kotaku tipster, publisher Eidos "took issue with the review and threatened to pull its ad campaign."

Advertisement:
Kane & Lynch currently features prominently on the front of the website. Allegedly, Gerstmann was then dismissed following the advertiser pressure.

"As writers of what is supposed to be objective content, this is our worst nightmare coming to life," the tipster notes.

Outside of confirming the departure, Gamespot and parent company CNet are keeping quiet.

Eidos can suck my arse in future then if they're going to cry like this - ill just not bother buy any of their shite games.

When was the last great Eidos game anyway?

I bitched to an Xbox magazine which reviewed Flashpoint Elite and gave it (IIRC) 1 out of 10, their reason for the low score wasn't to do with their feelings about the game, it was because a slightly more popular UK Xbox magazine gave it 93% or something so they used the review of our game as a means to attack this other magazine, really shameful "journalism" Codemasters pulled some ad coverage from the magazine in response as well.

That's shocking Placebo. These two are great examples of why you shouldn't put too much trust in reviews from websites/magazines. It's all politics and not the actual impression of a game.

I always go for what people say on forums anyway :)

Obviously the story I mention is relatively funny to read on the outside, childish magazines bickering with each other, but when the game you've slaved on is being used as a pawn in their games it really is a pisser, I'll see if I can find the review so you can see what I mean :)

Xbox World UK gave Elite 92% and their big rival was XBM who then gave Elite 1/10 :)

Elite is a seminal space trading computer game, originally published by Acornsoft in 1984 for the BBC Micro and Acorn Electron computers. The game's title derives from one of the player's goals of raising their combat rating to the exalted heights of "Elite." It was written and developed by David Braben and Ian Bell, who had met while they were both undergraduates at Jesus College, Cambridge. Non-Acorn versions of the game were published by Firebird.

Elite was one of the first home computer games to use wireframe 3D graphics with hidden line removal. Another novelty was the inclusion of The Dark Wheel, a novella by Robert Holdstock which influenced new players with insight into the moral and legal codes which they might aspire to.

Elite's open ended game model, advanced game engine and revolutionary 3D graphics ensured that it was ported to virtually every contemporary home computer system, and earned it a place as a classic and a genre maker in gaming history. Elite was a hugely influential game, serving as a model for more recent games such as EVE Online, Wing Commander: Privateer, Freelancer, and the X series of space trading games. When sales of Elite reached 100,000 copies, it was a news story on BBC television evening news.

I am just a fountain of knowledge, all that off the top of my head ;)

Obviously the story I mention is relatively funny to read on the outside, childish magazines bickering with each other, but when the game you've slaved on is being used as a pawn in their games it really is a pisser, I'll see if I can find the review so you can see what I mean :)

Xbox World UK gave Elite 92% and their big rival was XBM who then gave Elite 1/10 :)

Operation Flashpoint : Elite

And to be honest, my score would be closer to the 1 than then 92% for sure....................

The review scores for the game have been between 5 - 7 (Empire gave it 4/5 but they don't count).

:-k

GameSpot Fires Editorial Director
Is this what happens when advertising and editorial cross streams?

"I was in the meeting where Josh Larson [Executive Editor replacement for now Electronic Arts employee Greg Kasavin] was trying to explain this firing and the guy had absolutely no response to any of the criticisms we were sending his way. He kept dodging the question, saying that there were "multiple instances of tone" in the reviews that he hadn't been happy about, but that wasn't Jeff's problem since we all vet every review. He also implied that "AAA" titles deserved more attention when they were being reviewed, which sounded to all of us that he was implying that they should get higher scores, especially since those titles are usually more highly advertised on our site."

Back
Top Bottom