1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

EA Sports ONLINE PASS

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Honome, 11 May 2010.

1. Honome

Honome The Hated Chatbox Murder

16 April 2003
    Brasil
    Fluminense
    WTF??????? More money for EA! Looks like now they want to make money from second hand gamers too... I guess it´s only a matter of time before they begin charging for any online mode for any game.

2. pboreham

pboreham Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.

5 August 2002
    C*lchester
    Southend Utd
    What a load of shite! I havent bothered renewing Gold that ran out a few months back, so I'm sure as hell not going to pay more to play EA Games.

3. TikTikTikTikTik

TikTikTikTikTik *****

7 August 2004
    Liverpool
    Great news if you play the same game online with more then one user per console. So even if you have the original game it's going to cost $10 extra per gamertag added just to play online.

I wonder how much they get for an original game sold. So after costs and retail ect would they make $20 per title sold? Or is that too much?

4. Shazam!

Shazam! League 1

30 July 2006
    LOL what a crock.

5. Nick Cave

Nick Cave Wrexham fan for my sins...

10 July 2004
    Non football league waste land...
    Wrexham AFC
    $$$...

6. mjsmith2k

mjsmith2k Come on you Reds!

5 November 2005
    Nottingham
    Forest, Bulls, Patriots
    Yet another reason to not bother playing FIFA online it seems.

7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Golden Boot Winner

10 June 2003
    Ipswich, England
    Ipswich Town F.C.
    +1

8. romagnoli

romagnoli Misses Retri

7 August 2004
    Most of you wouldn't pay more to play online anyway? What is happening here??

Having to pay for a new code per gamertag would be bad, certainly. But I'm all for devs protecting themselves from the second hand market feeding off of them.

This should also make second hand games cheaper to an extent you realise, as they become less desirable and so less saleable. We'll see if the retail stores out there are honest enough to reflect this.

9. Radiation

Radiation Golden Boot Winner

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    So this is for 2nd hand games only then? Sounds like their $10 dlc plan for buying the games brand new wasn't enough.

10. Nick Cave

10 July 2004
    Wrexham AFC
    I think given most games are made to have limited longevity as the companies want to bring out a new full price title every year the second hand market is inevitable...

I agree there should be a way for them to make some money-back off second hand games used to get online though...

11. Jamezinho

10 June 2003
    Ipswich, England
    Ipswich Town F.C.
    In what other industry does a manufacturer get any proceeds from their products once they are in the second hand market?

Perhaps the real issue here is that games are too expensive to start with. Drop the price and more people will buy new games.

12. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Guest

Exactly.

13. airjoca

airjoca International

29 July 2003
    Amadora, Portugal
    SL Benfica
    Someday 2nd hand movies will have no extras in them, 2nd hand books will have pages missing, and you'll have to pay to get them back... :LOL:

14. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Guest

They already do. I never found out what happened in the end of Harry Potter.

15. Honome

16 April 2003
    Brasil
    Fluminense
    :LOL:

16. romagnoli

romagnoli Misses Retri

7 August 2004
    Jamez, do you really believe it's as simple as either of those arguments? For a start, does the music or film industry have to maintain servers or spend money in aftersales service in any way? How many of those industries offer you as many hours of entertainment per unit of currency spent?

I'd love to see game prices drop, and they often do via retailers - who really spent the RRP for FIFA or PES this year? Has anyone ever bought a game first hand on sale? I forget the number of top class titles I've bought for £20 plus or minus £5 while still first hand but it's a decent chunk of my collection.

However the best way we could save money is through a marketwide, unilateral shift to online digital distribution (possibly cutting out 3rd party retail as well) or through the console manufacturers ceding their right to a percentage of each sale of a software title, which in turn would mean they would look to make money on their consoles rather than sell them at huge losses or well before they are functioning sufficiently for general sale.

It's a lot more complicated than 'make games cheaper' or copying other, equally suffering industries.

17. TikTikTikTikTik

TikTikTikTikTik *****

7 August 2004
    Liverpool
    So what would you propose the business model should be for console makers?! They can't increase the actual price of a console because then nobody would buy the bloody things, and then no games will be sold either. So nobody makes any money. And what "extra's" could they sell?! You can't do small upgrades as then you are basicly a pc.....

18. romagnoli

romagnoli Misses Retri

7 August 2004
    I'm not proposing anything TikTik. I'm pointing out what the problem is with saying the answer is making games cheaper. We'd all love that to be the case but it's not going to happen. Console makers need the money, developers need the money, publishers know they could charge more than they already do, and it wouldn't make a appreciable dent on second hand sales.

Having said that, you and I are of course talking about the 360 and PS3 there, not the Wii.

Fundamentally it does seem like everyone in here is being pretty knee-jerk about this, ignoring that PC titles have been completely banning you from playing a game without a reg key for decades. In fact, when trying to find my reg key for PES 6 recently I'm pretty sure that, before I found one online, the official answer was to get a new one for a fee.

19. Jamezinho

10 June 2003
    Ipswich, England
    Ipswich Town F.C.
    ....and how many more brand new games would be sold if the RRP was £25 across the board? It makes buying new much more tempting, as you have just proven.

Digital distribution is all well and good, but don't bet on games becoming cheaper that way. Just look at the high price of the downloadable games on PSN and Live compared to the cheaper boxed versions in shops and online stores. A download should be cheaper than a physical version of a game and at present they are not.

20. romagnoli

romagnoli Misses Retri

7 August 2004
    Given that game players only have a finite amount of time to actually spend on their hobby, and given the increased number of units a game would need to shift to break even, not nearly enough, otherwise one or two of the members of this multi-billion pound industry might have cottoned on to something the games buying public has been saying ever since my first allowance week.

It's a bit of a straw man argument to equate me buying a game for £20-25 in a market of £35-40 games with publishers making more profit if they retailed games at £25. The titles I've bought at that price were either supermarkets undercutting high street retailers or me genuinely not having enough time to spare to buy the game when it was at its RRP. I think one of the titles I wouldn't have otherwise 'risked' £40 on - but then I had played the demo. The price doesn't generally affect me, since I typically spend £34-36 on new titles anyway. It's time to play it that is by far more of an issue.

Sure, if you judge it now, in DD's relatively early days, then you will get a distorted picture of things and doubt that it will have any impact on prices. While online prices are still subsidizing trade-ins, greater levels of piracy, offline distribution of games to high streets, server and bandwidth costs (which are a lot higher now than they will be) etc etc, there won't be a significant difference between offline and online costs. It is very unlikely though that this will still be the case once online distribution is the #1 source of game sales (or is a very respectable #2 and rising). In fact publishers will want online to be cheaper so that people move away from offline.

21. DagsJT

DagsJT Retired Footballer

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    Online gaming will be harmed in the long run. I can't imagine many people wanting to pay £35 per year for XBL and then £10 extra for each game they buy second hand.

I buy nearly all of my games second hand (AVForums and eBay mainly) and if I buy a game for £10, I'm not going to spend the same amount just to play that game online. If this becomes a trend, online gaming is pretty much dead to me.

22. romagnoli

romagnoli Misses Retri

7 August 2004
    Luckily it won't be £10 extra.

23. Carl

Carl Ban Master Staff

27 December 2001
    N.I.
    West Ham United FC
    From what I have read so far, no mention of FIFA in this. Tiger, NCAA Football, Madden, NHL, Fight Night and EA MMA. Thus NBA Live and FIFA may have a redeemable code, but wont have an online limited play thing.

Some good points raised in this thread so far.

24. Honome

16 April 2003
    Brasil
    Fluminense
    I really doubt that will be out of their most selling game all over the world. I am sure it will be on Fifa 11. Too bad! I also like buying second hand games and having to spend 10 more bucks on it just to play online is ridiculous.

25. DagsJT

DagsJT Retired Footballer

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    Eh? If you buy a used game and the code has been used, you need to buy an Online Pass to go online with it, costing $10 ... so £10 or whatever. So the game is costing me twice as much just to play online.

26. Carl

Carl Ban Master Staff

27 December 2001
    N.I.
    West Ham United FC
    What would be interesting though, if you did buy the pass, surely you are then entering a contract with EA, and as it would be a paid feature, how could they then remove that side of the game in the future without you getting refunded? I'm sure they will cover themselves in some small print somewhere, but the fact they turned the servers off for older games, making certain Achievements impossible to get has really stuck in my throat. Exactly how many servers would it take to allow someone to play a certain game. Surely they have 'free' servers as such that when a game gets a hammering they help to deal with the swell? To removed functionality completely is kinda kick in the teeth for gamers.

27. Nick Cave

10 July 2004
    Wrexham AFC
    I don't mind the idea TBH as long as it's not a large amount, they are providing a service after all...

28. romagnoli

romagnoli Misses Retri

7 August 2004
    1 U.S. dollar = 0.67691058 British pounds

If £6-£10 is enough to stop you playing a game online for the majority of a year then that's your choice.

29. TikTikTikTikTik

TikTikTikTikTik *****

7 August 2004
    Liverpool
    Agree, what I do find wrong is the gamertag nonsense.

It won't effect me anyway as I never play online, but I can imagine it being pretty shit to have 2 or 3 kids that want to play fifa online and having to spend another 20 whatevers just so they can all play the game.

And we can be pretty sure that there will be a market on ebay for codes for less money for those who don't play online.

30. Nick Cave

10 July 2004
    Wrexham AFC
    Agree, if you have kids it could get expensive, there must be a way of giving you three or four per game or per IP or something...