EA Makes Offer to Buy Take 2

tobi

"Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose."
5 August 2005
Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
EA have made a $2billion cash offer to buy Take Two!

I really hope this doesn't happen because that would mean that 2K Sports is finished, they'll be killing off the competition again.

They even had the cheek to say that they'll help promote GTA IV as if that game needs promoting!

Full story

:pray:

I REALLY hope this doesn't go through, otherwise the gaming industry will just go on to become a monopoly with EA owning everyone!

There will be a day when games are reduced to buying an EAmachine(TM) and all games are EA's. Inevitable.

EA have made a $2billion cash offer to buy Take Two!

I really hope this doesn't happen because that would mean that 2K Sports is finished, they'll be killing off the competition again.

They even had the cheek to say that they'll help promote GTA IV as if that game needs promoting!

Full story

:pray:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo i love NBA 2k8, tobi you still playing this? I play the association all the time, best sim ever. I even played online the other day and it was fantastic.

looks like the 2k8 board is rejecting the offer. Hopefully this does not happen. But guys i wouldnt worry too much about a monopoly, unless its a regulated industry(which it really isnt in a financial sense) the us goverment tends not too like monopolies.. so hopefully they wont allow the buyout or merger

Last edited:
Mate I'm still playing 2K8, I'm in the Western Conference finals vs Houston.

More likely the staff that made NBA Live will be sacked and the 2K Sports team will be drafted in to develop future EA basketball games.

I wouldn't say easier but some teams dont really put up a fight if you get what i'm saying. Playoffs is definately a step up though. When I'm done with this season i'll continue into a 2nd season and play at Superstar level.

I've just read that Take Two are willing to negotiate but only after GTA IV comes out, thats not a good sign at all. Dont forget that EA have a 15% share in Ubisoft so when Ubi make money so do EA!

I think Take Two were just being sarcastic with that response, if GTA4 does as well as is expected it will probably go a long way to making Take Two a much stronger company.

EA put a website up now and everything http://www.eatake2.com includes letters sent, FAQ, conference call and such........

Is this a hostile proposal?
Our proposal is friendly to Take-Two shareholders, developers, partners, and customers. We continue to seek a friendly, negotiated transaction.

Would the R* team be happy at EA?
We think so. We have great respect for the R* leadership team and some of our executives have worked with R* leaders while in previous positions with other companies. We believe EA’s decentralized label organization will be attractive to Take-Two’s creative talent.

Would you kill 2K Sports?
Any integration starts with our respect for the teams and people that make great games. Beyond that, it’s too early to discuss plans for managing Take-Two.

Would you close Take-Two publishing?
Again, it’s too early to discuss plans for managing Take-Two.

Do you intend to kill or restrict any of the R* franchises?
We strongly believe that behind all the controversy is a core of great intellectual property and development talent. These titles don’t sell millions because they’re controversial; they sell because they’re great games. We have no plans to change that.

As always, I'd read "no comment" as "yes, we would make the decision nobody wants to happen" :(

A website...damn!

EDIT:

GameCyte points out that not only did EA register the EATake2 domain name through a proxy on February 22, two days before the buy out proposal went public, it also snapped up eaubisoft.com. While EA already has a 19.9% stake in Ubisoft, the French publisher is becoming a more expensive acquisition prospect, based on some of its recent successes.

:brick:

Rumour

Last edited:
I read earlier (but i cant fnd the damn link) that Take 2 own the GTA name so presumably if EA purchased them they would then own GTA like they own Burnout

Name and IP are two very different things. Name is meaningless without the engine and technology, even if Rockstar broke with Take2 and Take2 did own the name then we could still get GTA5 it would just be called something else.

I was thinking "Big Car Heist" or something that suits the new direction of GTA (i.e. it's not just about cars any more), Gangland Lordo.

EA aren't ruling out a hostile takeover.

Damn!

I love how they say in that article that GTA will carry on when they buy them out even if everyone from Rockstar leaves - "if someone leaves then we can get a new person in" - like every single person in the world can make GTA exactly the same as it is now.

They really are cunts, no other word for them.

"And what we have got right now is a corporate issue that has nothing to do with the people who build these games."

Surely it has EVERYTHING to do with those little people working on GTA in that office?

And another thing - they mention that when they bought Maxis sim 'CITY' was selling ok.... so we're to believe that after they bought them - and they made the SIMS... and it sold amazingly... it was all due to Cancer... i mean... EA?

Last edited:
I love how they say in that article that GTA will carry on when they buy them out even if everyone from Rockstar leaves - "if someone leaves then we can get a new person in" - like every single person in the world can make GTA exactly the same as it is now.

They really are cunts, no other word for them.
Spot on! this is the best post ive read so far to sum this up!

Back
Top Bottom