1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

EA Makes Offer to Buy Take 2

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by tobi, 25 February 2008.

1. tobi

tobi "Pull up from 30!"

5 August 2005
    Teaching the PHX Suns the 2 min drill...
    Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
    EA have made a $2billion cash offer to buy Take Two!

I really hope this doesn't happen because that would mean that 2K Sports is finished, they'll be killing off the competition again.

They even had the cheek to say that they'll help promote GTA IV as if that game needs promoting!

Full story

:pray:

2. DagsJT

DagsJT Retired Footballer

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    I REALLY hope this doesn't go through, otherwise the gaming industry will just go on to become a monopoly with EA owning everyone!

3. Chris Davies

Chris Davies At least, I think I am Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    There will be a day when games are reduced to buying an EAmachine(TM) and all games are EA's. Inevitable.

4. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Would be bad news for gamers if this happened, only consolation would be that presumably Rockstar own the IP on GTA and not Take2?

5. gomito#10

gomito#10 World Cup Winner

9 May 2003
    DC, USA
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo i love NBA 2k8, tobi you still playing this? I play the association all the time, best sim ever. I even played online the other day and it was fantastic.

looks like the 2k8 board is rejecting the offer. Hopefully this does not happen. But guys i wouldnt worry too much about a monopoly, unless its a regulated industry(which it really isnt in a financial sense) the us goverment tends not too like monopolies.. so hopefully they wont allow the buyout or merger

Last edited: 25 February 2008
  6. tobi

tobi "Pull up from 30!"

5 August 2005
    Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
    Mate I'm still playing 2K8, I'm in the Western Conference finals vs Houston.

7. NickSCFC

NickSCFC Banned

18 July 2003
    Stoke-on-Trent, UK
    Stoke City/Liverpool
    More likely the staff that made NBA Live will be sacked and the 2K Sports team will be drafted in to develop future EA basketball games.

8. gomito#10

9 May 2003
    DC, USA
    damn! i just passed the all star break. Game got easier right!

9. tobi

tobi "Pull up from 30!"

5 August 2005
    Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
    I wouldn't say easier but some teams dont really put up a fight if you get what i'm saying. Playoffs is definately a step up though. When I'm done with this season i'll continue into a 2nd season and play at Superstar level.

I've just read that Take Two are willing to negotiate but only after GTA IV comes out, thats not a good sign at all. Dont forget that EA have a 15% share in Ubisoft so when Ubi make money so do EA!

10. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    I think Take Two were just being sarcastic with that response, if GTA4 does as well as is expected it will probably go a long way to making Take Two a much stronger company.

11. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    EA put a website up now and everything http://www.eatake2.com includes letters sent, FAQ, conference call and such........

Is this a hostile proposal?
    Our proposal is friendly to Take-Two shareholders, developers, partners, and customers. We continue to seek a friendly, negotiated transaction.

Would the R* team be happy at EA?
    We think so. We have great respect for the R* leadership team and some of our executives have worked with R* leaders while in previous positions with other companies. We believe EA’s decentralized label organization will be attractive to Take-Two’s creative talent.

Would you kill 2K Sports?
    Any integration starts with our respect for the teams and people that make great games. Beyond that, it’s too early to discuss plans for managing Take-Two.

Would you close Take-Two publishing?
    Again, it’s too early to discuss plans for managing Take-Two.

Do you intend to kill or restrict any of the R* franchises?
    We strongly believe that behind all the controversy is a core of great intellectual property and development talent. These titles don’t sell millions because they’re controversial; they sell because they’re great games. We have no plans to change that.

12. DagsJT

DagsJT Retired Footballer

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    As always, I'd read "no comment" as "yes, we would make the decision nobody wants to happen" :(

13. tobi

tobi "Pull up from 30!"

5 August 2005
    Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
    A website...damn!

EDIT:

:brick:

Rumour

Last edited: 26 February 2008
  14. Radiation

Radiation Golden Boot Winner

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    I read earlier (but i cant fnd the damn link) that Take 2 own the GTA name so presumably if EA purchased them they would then own GTA like they own Burnout

15. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Name and IP are two very different things. Name is meaningless without the engine and technology, even if Rockstar broke with Take2 and Take2 did own the name then we could still get GTA5 it would just be called something else.

16. Milanista

Milanista Mangiamoli! Staff

19 December 2002
    London & Milan
    AC Milan
    Grand Automobile Theft.

17. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    I was thinking "Big Car Heist" or something that suits the new direction of GTA (i.e. it's not just about cars any more), Gangland Lordo.

18. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Esmoriz, Portugal
    Sheffield Wednesday
    "Fuck Hooker Murder Death Kill Simulator™"

19. gomito#10

9 May 2003
    DC, USA
    LOL

20. Nick Cave

Nick Cave Wrexham fan for my sins...

10 July 2004
    Non football league waste land...
    Wrexham AFC
    Ah.. crap.

21. tobi

tobi "Pull up from 30!"

5 August 2005
    Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
    EA aren't ruling out a hostile takeover.

Damn!

22. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
  23. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    I wish EA would just fuck right off and stop trying to monopolize the industry.

24. Nick Cave

Nick Cave Wrexham fan for my sins...

10 July 2004
    Non football league waste land...
    Wrexham AFC
    That would be a great T shirt... EA "fuck right off"

25. tobi

tobi "Pull up from 30!"

5 August 2005
    Spurs, Suns and Cowboys
    :brick:

26. ash

ash DeMinistrator

21 March 2004
    London
    Man Utd
    Nooo!

They will make GTA into a yearly franchise! :(

27. Lami

Lami Niche Football Staff

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Vecchia Signora
    :brick::-ll:((:cry:

28. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    I love how they say in that article that GTA will carry on when they buy them out even if everyone from Rockstar leaves - "if someone leaves then we can get a new person in" - like every single person in the world can make GTA exactly the same as it is now.

They really are cunts, no other word for them.

29. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    "And what we have got right now is a corporate issue that has nothing to do with the people who build these games."

Surely it has EVERYTHING to do with those little people working on GTA in that office?

And another thing - they mention that when they bought Maxis sim 'CITY' was selling ok.... so we're to believe that after they bought them - and they made the SIMS... and it sold amazingly... it was all due to Cancer... i mean... EA?

Last edited: 14 March 2008
  30. DJ Doc45

DJ Doc45 Banned

Spot on! this is the best post ive read so far to sum this up!