dreamcast thread

jonneymendoza

Legend
1 January 2004
Arsenal
hi, i was wondering if any of u guys ever had a dreamcast? what did you guys think of it and its games?

i personaly loved the dreamcast and cant seem to find a reason why it failed. i heard that it was has powerful has the ps2.. it had ORIGINAL games such has powerstone, jet set radio, and SHENMUE!!

in my opinion shenmue is the best game ever made...

its a shame that dreamcast failed :(

jonneymendoza said:
i personaly loved the dreamcast and cant seem to find a reason why it failed.
It's widely known that it failed due to terrible marketing and piracy. The fact that games could be burnt onto a CDR and played with no chip or copy protecion circumvention was a big mistake. Sega are great with games, but terrible with marketing.

Thats true, all the Dreamcast marketing and ads were crap. Sega put out Dreamcast early to try and get an advance on the PS2, but in reality it struggled against the PS1. So when PS2 emerged it had no chance, even tho it had some excellent games.

Remember, Dreamcast was the first online console tho, Quake 3 online was pretty good but you were limited to just 4 players I think. I personally loved my DC, best games IMO in no particular order;

Soul Calibre (prob the best)
Virtua Striker 2000.1
Unreal Tournament
Capcom vs SNK
Crazy Taxi
Get Bass! (with rod)
Virtua Tennis
Resident Evil: Code Veronica

For me a Better Console than the Ps2, I Love my Dreamcast, I Love his Graphics ( watch Virtua striker2, Virtua Tennis1/2, Resident evil Code veronica) Its amazing!

I will never give my original Japanese Dreamcast away, ilove the Games and the Console: No slowdowns no antializing Probs like Ps2!
But also no We/Pes4 for this fantastic console, I cant undersatnd why!
I Think if we had a We8 for dreamcast there wouldn't be slowdowns!

But every time the same mistakes, wrong marketing!The Dreamcast whas Killed by Sega before It was Borned, has anyone see the Terrible Televisionspots for Dreamcsast???? And no Games third Party! Ea has never Produced a Game for Dreamcast, Konami I think has done only 6 Games!
Everyone was helping Sony no one Sega!

Hopefully one Day we will see a new Sega Console, with good Marketing and enough Power to kick some ass!

Sega Ole!

Last edited:
shenmue was 1 of the best games i ever played. the dreamcast graphics are equaly, if not better than the ps2... sega should make anotehr console but let anotehr company market it better, i admit it was poorly marketed and sega never put dreamcast to its full potential, what a waste, its sega fault that killed dreamcast...

It was more than just the Dreamcast they killed, it was in for it from launch sadly. Remember 32X? MegaCD? Saturn?

All of them were potentially great, and showed it in some of their games, but they were doomed from the off with the lack of exposure and coverage.

Sega won't be back in the home console market now, not with some of the arcade divisions disbanding, their software being sold across more than 3 platforms and with the Sammy merger. Their hardware money as such comes in the form of Pachinko machines. Interestingly though, Sammy's Atomiswave arcade hardware (which SNK Neao Geo use now amongst others) is based on Dreamcast Hardware.

without doubt the Dreamcast was the most under-rated & overlooked console of all time.

so much so that i'm currently attempting to collect every PAL DC release!

still have mine.

loved playing shenmue 1+2, crazy taxi 1+2, soul calibur...awesome stuff :)

me 2, i may hook it up again and play sum shenmue!! im bored already with the ps2, i hardly touch it, despite i wasted money on mgs3 which i hardly play lol

Jamie said:
without doubt the Dreamcast was the most under-rated & overlooked console of all time.

so much so that i'm currently attempting to collect every PAL DC release!

That's alot of games is it not? But some of them were rubbish, so maybe you should skip them. I myself own about 60 PAL releases, 10 US-NTSC games, and a few others (cough).............

I think the Saturn was more overlooked than the DC, especially over here. The 2D performance from that machine was amazing and still plays host to some of the greatest shooters ever.

Most PAL stuff is relatively easy to come by, and there's approx 217 to get if memory serves. The Japanese stuff is good to collect, some real rarities and a *lot* of games. They also have much better boxart :) IF you went that way though you'd be in for a long haul, I think there's close to 700 Japanese releases.

correct 217 PAL releases, got around 90 so far along with some US/Jap titles that were never released over here Seaman, Marine Fishing, Typing Of The Dead, Sports Jam etc

most PAL titles can be picked up for between £3-£6 so confident I can do it.

PAL Samba boxset at round £100 & an official PAL sega fishing rod (only released in Australia) around £60 will probably be the most expensive items.

Still got my DC here in Japan and picking up the odd game at the second-hand stores for 4 or 500 yen:D.Great machine. Good games. Poor support. Sony cacks on everybody because of their software support even if their machines are a bit pants at times.

Jamie said:
PAL Samba boxset at round £100 & an official PAL sega fishing rod (only released in Australia) around £60 will probably be the most expensive items.

I have both!!!! ;) I bought them from Dreamarena, I didnt know the Official Rod only came out in Oz tho.

217 games, thats alot man, is there a list online somewhere? I'm sure I maybe missed some decent games, but I did try to get alot of decent games. I really think my favourites where mostly Sega games though, Get Bass, Confidental Mission, Samba, Virtua Tennis, even Virtua Striker and as mentioned above the wonderful Shenmue series.........

I love my DC.

i own a HK version, UK and US. i have about 90 games for it and all are original copies.

nobody wanted to give the DC a chance. people were so wrapped up in Sony's PS2 hype that they woulnt buy a dreamcast.

Sega's marketing didnt help. in Europe they never showed games like soul calibur, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi. instead they showed off tomb raider. bloody idiots!!

I would disagree with the pirating to an extent as it took around 15months for the DC to be cracked. sales was not that great before the pirating started.

for Beat em up games. the DC beats any other console!!

Last edited:
nor only for beat em ups!Also their are very good Racing Games Like 24 Hours of Le manns, watch this Graphics, looks better then lot of Racing Games from 2004-2005 on Ps2!

Ferrari F355 gotta be my fav DC racing Sim. i love that game, its hard but worth all the hours you put into it.

MSR was great, shame it was a bit buggy but in whole it was a solid game.

Holio said:
I have both!!!! ;) I bought them from Dreamarena, I didnt know the Official Rod only came out in Oz tho.

217 games, thats alot man, is there a list online somewhere? I'm sure I maybe missed some decent games, but I did try to get alot of decent games. I really think my favourites where mostly Sega games though, Get Bass, Confidental Mission, Samba, Virtua Tennis, even Virtua Striker and as mentioned above the wonderful Shenmue series.........

You have the official PAL Sega rod, white box with blue writing? If you ever want to sell it let me know........

I agree the Sega games were some of the best. Virtua Striker has always had a unique appeal I think, not a game with long term depth but even now I still enjoy the odd game here & there.

Full PAL list available here (under PAL games list), admittedley there are a lot of very average games amongst them I just cant resist the challenge of getting them all!!!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/game/916412.html

Jamie said:
You have the official PAL Sega rod, white box with blue writing? If you ever want to sell it let me know........

Tis the beautiful original rod, and I love it, mainly cause it feels so much better than the 3rd Party ones, plus I have Sega Bass 2 and Marine Fishing

Jamie said:
Full PAL list available here (under PAL games list), admittedley there are a lot of very average games amongst them I just cant resist the challenge of getting them all!!!

Just checked the list, there is an awful lot of average games really........ but you seem to have a Pokemon fever about it. Good luck with your challenge, have you got many so far or not?

I think the Xbox could well be going the way of the DC now anyhow, XB2 is almost ready to roll and support for the XB will drop like a stone.........

It seems the key is software support and decent marketing. A shame really cos the DC is so much less of a brick than the xbox and ps2.

the dc was much better than xbox and ps2, i see teh xbox being a modificatiopn of the ds, look at the joypads for example,almost the same design, it has those trigger buttons that the dc had.. and it had modified the modem that dreamcast have and added a broadband one instead.

Holio said:
Tis the beautiful original rod, and I love it, mainly cause it feels so much better than the 3rd Party ones, plus I have Sega Bass 2 and Marine Fishing

Just checked the list, there is an awful lot of average games really........ but you seem to have a Pokemon fever about it. Good luck with your challenge, have you got many so far or not?

Well pleased tonight to pick up the Official Rod on e-bay for £35. Just need a Samba boxset now............

Had an intense buying spell in the last month, now need just 33 of the 218 but it's starting to get challenging in terms of price & rariety.

Well done lad, you got the top controller, as for 33 games, now it's getting close, though I doubt I could help you out with the last 33 if they are getting rare. Maybe you should post your list of the last games you need to get? Someone may be able to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom